Horror Story...Yet Still Passed?

2TimesTheCharm

Re: Horror Story...Yet Still Passed?

Postby 2TimesTheCharm » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:27 pm

I took the CA July 2016 Bar.

Day 1 was a disaster. I was betting on the BarSecrets predictions and went in expecting Crim, Conlaw, PR, Corporations, Wills, CP and Property. So when I found CA civpro and contracts, I almost broke down and cried. I had been working full time and never even looked at CA civpro, and I hadn't look at FRCP in weeks. I got the rules for service and venue wrong, and I spent two paragraphs talking about the difference between state courts and federal courts on a practical level (irrelevant.) Realizing I had 1hr and 45 min left, I switched to property, and found my worst subject: easements. Again, I scribbled something down, went on a tangent about the different kinds of easements, blended the merger issue into the tangent, answered the wrong part of call 2 with "7" (instead of 6) warranties, then proceeded only to describe 3 of them. Finally, with 40 min left on the clock, I started reading the contracts prompt, wrote a long essay holding the wrong guy liable for breach. I was so upset during lunch that I didn't get to review the PT book. Afternoon turns around, I went in trying my best not to cry, had no idea what the issues were, reread everything three times, then finished it only because I paid for the exam.

Day 2, I felt like a kicked dog. The morning MBE was fine, good enough that I remember mentally thanking the Adaptibar guy every couple questions. It was more or less the same as Adaptibar. I almost dared to hope I might have a shot until I saw the afternoon MBE: more civpro than I expected, more subtopics of property I didn't know. I really considered going home that night and resigning from my firm the following day.

Day 3, I got some confidence back after the Conlaw essay, only to lose it again for CP. I couldn't remember all the rules on prenups, so I made up some stuff that sounded right, then realizing I had only 40 minutes left, I went on to PR, churned out something I don't remember, went back to CP, tried to cover both sides, failed, deleted the side I thought was wrong. With 30 seconds called, I tried to revise my concluding sentence in one part, mistyped "is CP" to "is CLP", and had time called before I could change it.

I spent these last three months applying to different consulting jobs up and down the California coast. I even went to interview with McKinsey. The night of, I got drunk, cried to my boyfriend, cried to my girlfriends, attempted to take home my neighbor's dog because it gave me so much comfort, before finding out I passed...

I don't know how it happened. I don't want to know either, but apparently you can do all of the above and still pass.

aunt_pearl

Postby aunt_pearl » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 pm

CA bar, 2nd time taker

I used the wrong law for Civ Pro. I used the FRCP allllllll the way through, with a few "and in CA it's the same." (Spoiler: no, it's not.)

I didn't spot the merger issue at ALL on the property essay. I didn't write about it.

I didn't mention modifications on contracts.

My strongest was historically the MBE. The guy sitting next to me was coughing and sneezing the entire way through; it was so bad I actually got permission to be moved for the afternoon session. I can't concentrate when there is excess sound and this was SO. LOUD.

I was certain I was going to fail. I read the statistics (17% pass rate for repeaters!!! FREAKING 17%!!!!). I still passed.

Floridaman1985

Postby Floridaman1985 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:28 pm

I passed both the July 2010 Florida Bar Exam and the July 2016 Virginia Bar Exam with bad migraine headaches:

I woke up for the first day of the Florida Bar with a migraine. Medication didn't really help, and I had to deal with it through the entirety of the first day. Fortunately, I slept it off and felt fine for the secone day. I'm sure it had some impact on my focus, but I passed.

As soon as the first day of the recent Virginia Bar ended, I felt that distinct aura that can only mean one thing, the imminent arrival of a migraine. It was a bad one, and a night of sleep did nothing to reduce it. Again, medicine did not help much. I think it was worse to have one during the MBE because you have very little time for each question, and have to be fairly focused and efficient. Anyway, the headache definitely harmed me in that regard. Somehow, I passed.

tiymay

Postby tiymay » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:24 am

I was a re-taker. I felt OK about all possible essay topics except income tax and secured transactions. Guess which 2 topics ended up on the exam? I got very caught up trying to remember things and write the best I could, I almost ran out of time.

During the break, I also heard multiple people talking about one of the issues- and they all got the same answer as each other, and I didn't get that answer at all. I likely missed that question entirely.

I'm pretty confident I completely missed 1 essay, and good chance I also missed the other one I didn't feel confident it. But I still passed.

rcharter1978

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:16 am

tiymay wrote:I was a re-taker. I felt OK about all possible essay topics except income tax and secured transactions. Guess which 2 topics ended up on the exam? I got very caught up trying to remember things and write the best I could, I almost ran out of time.

During the break, I also heard multiple people talking about one of the issues- and they all got the same answer as each other, and I didn't get that answer at all. I likely missed that question entirely.

I'm pretty confident I completely missed 1 essay, and good chance I also missed the other one I didn't feel confident it. But I still passed.

LOL, I took the CBX in Feb '16 and I specifically remember saying "if these assholes put CA Evidence on this exam I'm going to fake a heart attack or pull the fire alarm"

I think it was Question 3, and I was so salty about the entire thing. Still passed.

Kalani111

Postby Kalani111 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:36 pm

My horror story started in 2016, two and a half weeks before the Feb bar. I was denied accommodations, which I was granted to in law school for a compound fracture that resulted in nerve damage that led to my wrist and hand. I knew I had no chance of passing the written portion of the exam but decided to take it anyway as a very expensive practice exam.

Fast forward to Feb 17. For a year I practiced getting my typing speed up and issue spotted 200 essays to overcome the panic feeling I had for the essays. I blatantly neglected the MPT's because I had passed them during graded Themis prep course. VERY bad idea. During the real exam, the essays went well but apparently I forgot a game plan for the MPT. My outlines were ridiculous, information all over the place. Threw the first MPT together at the last minute butchering even my sub-heading. My analysis was completely wrong--I could feel it. The second MPT I added a conclusion for no reason, when the directions asked for only finding of facts and law. I couldn't believe I did that. I was certain I failed after the MPT's even if the MBE went well.

Passed, but just barely. Do not neglect those suckers :shock:

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”