Contract modification & consideration Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
LAWYER2

Silver

Contract modification & consideration

Post by LAWYER2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 am

I know that CL contract modification requires (1) agreement of the parties, and (2) new consideration, however I recall reading somewhere that the parties agreeing to give up further performance under the K satisfies the need for new consideration.
I've gotten a couple MBE's wrong using this logic and am wondering if I'm off base. Any input?

LSAT Taker

Bronze

Re: Contract modification & consideration

Post by LSAT Taker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I know that CL contract modification requires (1) agreement of the parties, and (2) new consideration, however I recall reading somewhere that the parties agreeing to give up further performance under the K satisfies the need for new consideration.
I've gotten a couple MBE's wrong using this logic and am wondering if I'm off base. Any input?
If parties agree upon non-performance of the preexisting duties under the contract, a rescission (as opposed to modification) results, thereby discharging the duties of the parties. In this case, oral agreements are effective; the rescission need not be in writing even if the agreement is within the SOF. That said, it is entirely possible that I misread your post or misunderstood the situation you mentioned.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Aw, maybe I had rescission confused with modification, thx!

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:54 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Aw, maybe I had rescission confused with modification, thx!
Giving up a right to bring a suit where there's a good faith dispute between the parties re: their obligations under the contract is consideration also. In some states too, mine, a change in conditions that rises to the level of impracticability can suffice for consideration as well. I could be misunderstanding your question though.

I think what you described above though re: each agreeing to not require the other to perform is consideration, because the promises were bargained for. This I guess could be looked at as modification or mutual rescission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”