How to memorize rule statements for the bar exam? Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mvpforme

Bronze

How to memorize rule statements for the bar exam?

Post by mvpforme » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:56 pm

I just read over one of the Barbri model answers for my state's essay portion and was surprised to see how detailed the rule statements were. Any tip on how to memorize a seemingly endless amount of rule statements for test day?

spleenworship

Gold

Re: How to memorize rule statements for the bar exam?

Post by spleenworship » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:19 am

the kaplan guy keeps saying mnemonics are the answer. who knows.

minimum competence. that's all we need.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 am

My general experience in memorizing stuff, and rule statements in particular, is that nothing beats exposure and practice. By practice, I mean having written out the rule statement previously. It will shock you how much you can get down cold with enough exposure and practice. Mnemonics are also good when there is a really intuitive and straight forward mnemonic available, but trying to have a mnemonic ready for most laws will probably get unwieldy.

I think the challenge is having a succinct list of rule statements you should memorize for the exam. This way you can get in tons of exposure by reading the rule statements over and over and have a quick reference for writing out the rule statements when you're practicing. For this reason, it annoys and frustrates me that most bar services don't really provide such a list. At least, I'm doing themis and the rule statements they provide seem to be incomplete and inadequate an annoying amount of the time.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:the kaplan guy keeps saying mnemonics are the answer. who knows.

minimum competence. that's all we need.
Fire?

And I'm gonna go with flash cards.

MoneyMay

Bronze

Post by MoneyMay » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:15 pm

MinEMorris wrote:My general experience in memorizing stuff, and rule statements in particular, is that nothing beats exposure and practice. By practice, I mean having written out the rule statement previously. It will shock you how much you can get down cold with enough exposure and practice. Mnemonics are also good when there is a really intuitive and straight forward mnemonic available, but trying to have a mnemonic ready for most laws will probably get unwieldy.

I think the challenge is having a succinct list of rule statements you should memorize for the exam. This way you can get in tons of exposure by reading the rule statements over and over and have a quick reference for writing out the rule statements when you're practicing. For this reason, it annoys and frustrates me that most bar services don't really provide such a list. At least, I'm doing themis and the rule statements they provide seem to be incomplete and inadequate an annoying amount of the time.
I'm gonna go with a list too. Are you making a list only for essay topics, or BLL for everything?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:25 pm

MoneyMay wrote:
MinEMorris wrote:My general experience in memorizing stuff, and rule statements in particular, is that nothing beats exposure and practice. By practice, I mean having written out the rule statement previously. It will shock you how much you can get down cold with enough exposure and practice. Mnemonics are also good when there is a really intuitive and straight forward mnemonic available, but trying to have a mnemonic ready for most laws will probably get unwieldy.

I'm gonna go with a list too. Are you making a list only for essay topics, or BLL for everything?
I'm going to make lists for only essay topics. From there, it's hard work, dedication, TMT style.

Apple Tree

Bronze

Post by Apple Tree » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 pm

This is the hardest part of bar prep for me. I never had to separately write out rule statements (always rolled them together with application). This sucks.

amk110

New

Post by amk110 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:04 pm

I never used mnemonics in law school. But in my bar preparation, I've found them to be tremendously helpful.

They work. They sound stupid, and sometimes it's hard to keep track of a bunch of them, but they work. I took a free bar review course offered by my state's bar, and they gave us a list of about 15 words and then showed us how to memorize them all by incorporating them into a ridiculous story (the trick having a strong visual to associate with each word/element/etc.)

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Here is an online phrase generator for creating your own mnemonic phrases

--LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”