Texas Bar Exam July 2014

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
YYZ

Bronze

Re: Texas Bar Exam July 2014

Postby YYZ » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:45 am

Several lawyers told me that the bar exam was easy. I expected the actual MBE to be much easier than our bar review questions. Not the case. It's hard to believe that the pass rate went down by 10% due to lower admission standards. It will be interesting to see what happens with the July 2015 exam.

bass08

Bronze

Postby bass08 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:59 am

YYZ wrote:

Several lawyers told me that the bar exam was easy. I expected the actual MBE to be much easier than our bar review questions. Not the case. It's hard to believe that the pass rate went down by 10% due to lower admission standards. It will be interesting to see what happens with the July 2015 exam.

I agree. And I don't think admissions standards were even that much lower from 2010 to 2011. It really started to drop the following year. I really don't think that can explain the huge decrease. Weren't admissions standards in the early-mid 2000's, for example, relatively akin to 2011 anyway? Seems like we can look back at the numbers to see if admissions standards would really have that great of an effect.

txadv11

Silver

Postby txadv11 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:23 am

Wait a minute..... only 29 states have released scores?

:shock:

And I was complaining that we were the last or nearly last state...

lisjjen

Silver

Postby lisjjen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:26 pm

But hasn't everybody been complaining that there are too many lawyers?

YYZ

Bronze

Postby YYZ » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Am I missing something? Where do I find the breakdown of my score (e.g. MPT, Essays, etc)?

Neve

Bronze

Postby Neve » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:53 pm

YYZ wrote:Am I missing something? Where do I find the breakdown of my score (e.g. MPT, Essays, etc)?

Only the people who fail the exam get the breakdown with the scores for the MPT, state essays, etc. You only get your total score and your MBE scaled score if you pass.

notthatgirl14

New

Postby notthatgirl14 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Sidenote: reading the comments on that ATL article strengthens my theory that the lawyers that cause people to hate lawyers all live in the comments section of ATL.

15 styx

New

Postby 15 styx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:10 pm

YYZ wrote:

A few days ago I ran across a school pass-fail breakout (may have been for PA). The higher ranked schools had a substantially better pass rate than the lower ranked schools. Is this because the higher ranked schools are better at teaching law or is it because the students attending these law schools are smarter? Thus the higher pass percentage.

(Arguably, when it comes to the bar prep programs most everyone starts as near equals since we are all learning from the same source [Barbri, etc.]).

imacpa

New

Postby imacpa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm

15 styx wrote:
YYZ wrote:

A few days ago I ran across a school pass-fail breakout (may have been for PA). The higher ranked schools had a substantially better pass rate than the lower ranked schools. Is this because the higher ranked schools are better at teaching law or is it because the students attending these law schools are smarter? Thus the higher pass percentage.

(Arguably, when it comes to the bar prep programs most everyone starts as near equals since we are all learning from the same source [Barbri, etc.]).

The higher ranked schools tend to draw students with higher LSAT scores relative to the lower rank schools. Given that there's a correlation between LSAT score and bar passage, then it's very likely that higher rank schools will statistically perform better than lower tier schools.

15 styx

New

Postby 15 styx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:57 pm

imacpa wrote:The higher ranked schools tend to draw students with higher LSAT scores relative to the lower rank schools. Given that there's a correlation between LSAT score and bar passage, then it's very likely that higher rank schools will statistically perform better than lower tier schools.

Agreed. Curious if there is any printed data on this correlation. Is it possible that the high end of tier1 (or t14) will continue to do well while the bottom rankers plummet as their acceptance criteria deteriorates?

(Wouldn't it be a bitch to go to a law school where just half the class could pass the bar).

Neve

Bronze

Postby Neve » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:00 pm

15 styx wrote:
imacpa wrote:The higher ranked schools tend to draw students with higher LSAT scores relative to the lower rank schools. Given that there's a correlation between LSAT score and bar passage, then it's very likely that higher rank schools will statistically perform better than lower tier schools.

Agreed. Curious if there is any printed data on this correlation. Is it possible that the high end of tier1 (or t14) will continue to do well while the bottom rankers plummet as their acceptance criteria deteriorates?

(Wouldn't it be a bitch to go to a law school where just half the class could pass the bar).

http://www.unc.edu/edp/pdf/NLBPS.pdf - from 1998, but it's the major study on the correlation.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum?