Will not taking NY Bar hurt NJ job prospects... Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
j1987

Bronze

Will not taking NY Bar hurt NJ job prospects...

Post by j1987 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:57 am

I am from NJ, went to an NJ law school. I have NO desire to ever work in New York. I have friends like this that are not taking the NY bar and friends like this that are taking the NY bar. I really do not want to take the NY bar, and I am curious if not taking the NY bar will substantially hurt my job prospects. I'm really only taking it because of reciprocity issues and because I feel that it will hurt my job prospects if I don't, but I don't know if this feeling is unfounded.

I already secured a clerkship for this upcoming year, so I did not graduate jobless. The clerkship is in NJ. I am looking to go private firm afterwards. Again, only intend on working at a New Jersey private firm. I asked my school's career center about taking NY bar and job prospects, and they told me they didn't have an answer for me (no, I'm not kidding).

So… thoughts?

j1987

Bronze

Re: Will not taking NY Bar hurt NJ job prospects...

Post by j1987 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:08 am

bump… anyone?

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:35 am

You will be cutting yourself off from the biggest employers and the most law firms in the region.

I have no idea if any New Jersey firm will care.

Why are you so vehemently opposed to taking the bar or working in New York?

j1987

Bronze

Post by j1987 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:40 am

NYSprague wrote:You will be cutting yourself off from the biggest employers and the most law firms in the region.

I just have no desire to make that commute everyday. I was born and raised in New Jersey, and I intend on living and working here. I don't know why I have to have a reason that I don't want to work in New York. I don't like the city, I'm not a city person. Some people wouldn't want to work in New Jersey or Massachusetts or wherever. I have a lot of ties in New Jersey. I will probably end up taking the NY bar - I've already started studying for it and registered for it. I was just wondering if not taking it would make a huge impact on my ability to find a job in New Jersey after I clerk.

NYSprague

Silver

Post by NYSprague » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:45 am

j1987 wrote:
NYSprague wrote:You will be cutting yourself off from the biggest employers and the most law firms in the region.

I just have no desire to make that commute everyday. I was born and raised in New Jersey, and I intend on living and working here. I don't know why I have to have a reason that I don't want to work in New York. I don't like the city, I'm not a city person. Some people wouldn't want to work in New Jersey or Massachusetts or wherever. I have a lot of ties in New Jersey. I will probably end up taking the NY bar - I've already started studying for it and registered for it. I was just wondering if not taking it would make a huge impact on my ability to find a job in New Jersey after I clerk.
Oh, don't know the answer to that. I was just not sure why you would want to make sure you couldn't work in New York, in case you can only get a job there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”