Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2014 Exam Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
nowinGA

Bronze

Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2014 Exam

Post by nowinGA » Wed May 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Hey everyone. I wanted to start a fresh thread for people using Themis to study for the July 2014 bar exam.

I am using Themis to prep for the NY bar. Hopefully we can all help each other get through this next couple of months - and successfully pass the exam!

puttycake

Bronze

Re: Themis Bar Review Hangout - July 2014 Exam

Post by puttycake » Wed May 14, 2014 5:04 pm

I'm using Themis for the CA bar. Official start date is just a week away. I'm so not ready for this!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Hello!

I'm taking Themis for NY. I will start bar prep in 2 weeks. Maybe sooner if I feel really motivated.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Wed May 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Themis for ILL. Went through Torts and Con Law so far, but completely unprepared for the extra Ill. subjects. The material seems rather gargantuan for only 20%'ish of the exam.

Also, anyone know if we can use the "seek" function differently? Pressing <- / -> leads to a massive skip in the video when what i want is literally just 5 seconds+ to catch something i missed.

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Thu May 15, 2014 12:21 am

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, I'm taking the bar in Michigan and have been kind of lonely studying for Themis and figured this was as good a time as any to reach out to the internet. As for rewinding/skipping around on the videos, I haven't had great luck with the arrow keys and find it a lot easier to just click on the video's little blue bar/status thing that shows how much it's played and rewind it the same way you'd rewind a youtube video.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Thu May 15, 2014 1:30 am

jigglypuffdreams wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Anyways, I'm taking the bar in Michigan and have been kind of lonely studying for Themis and figured this was as good a time as any to reach out to the internet. As for rewinding/skipping around on the videos, I haven't had great luck with the arrow keys and find it a lot easier to just click on the video's little blue bar/status thing that shows how much it's played and rewind it the same way you'd rewind a youtube video.
Ja, except it requires a level of minutiae that I've yet to master. When you're going at 1.5-2x speed (as i imagine many applicants do), you'd think Themis would figure that many people only want to go back 5-10 seconds back in time, not like 90 seconds, m'i'rite?
Last edited by dudnaito on Thu May 15, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Thu May 15, 2014 3:20 am

Way to early for this (I'm taking my sweet time before the May 21 start date).

Tagged anyways.

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Thu May 15, 2014 3:18 pm

dudnaito wrote: Ja, except it requires a level of minutiae that I've yet to master. When you're going at 1.5-2x speed (as i imagine many applicants do), you figure Themis would figure that many people only want to go back 5-10 seconds back in time, not like 90 seconds, m'i'rite?
Haha oh shit, I've been a total newbie and I'm still listening to regular-speed lectures. I've given up on following the handouts though so that's something. When you listen at 1.5 speed do you still do the handouts, scrawl some regular notes, or just focus on the lecture?

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Thu May 15, 2014 7:11 pm

jigglypuffdreams wrote:
dudnaito wrote: Ja, except it requires a level of minutiae that I've yet to master. When you're going at 1.5-2x speed (as i imagine many applicants do), you figure Themis would figure that many people only want to go back 5-10 seconds back in time, not like 90 seconds, m'i'rite?
Haha oh shit, I've been a total newbie and I'm still listening to regular-speed lectures. I've given up on following the handouts though so that's something. When you listen at 1.5 speed do you still do the handouts, scrawl some regular notes, or just focus on the lecture?

All 3, kinda? The routine's supposed to be 1) outline, then 2) Lectures, and frankly, 90% of the lectures almost seems to be a read-out of the outline, hence why I go at 2x speed usually. I'll pause pretty often if I feel something was addressed in the lectures that clarifies the outline, but that's usually pretty rare, as once again, the lectures- at least so far- have been a straight-up reading of the outlines. And honestly, not sure how much I'll look to the handout as a long-term study guide. I'm flashcarding pretty hardcore after all this. No use knowing what "_____" means for example if you don't have close to instant recall of its elements in the MEE session where you only have so much time for each essay.

We're all just starting, so I'm sure our study styles will change pretty quickly in the next few weeks.

Oh, and P.S., I'm the worst law school student in T-20 history, so uh.. yeah, take my advice with caution lol

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Thu May 15, 2014 9:49 pm

I received my books today! SO HAPPY!!!

puttycake

Bronze

Post by puttycake » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm

kapital98 wrote:I received my books today! SO HAPPY!!!
You might be an insane person. :D

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 am

Themis PA. I start in a week.

Kincade12

New

Post by Kincade12 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Taking Themis for Michigan. Every person I know who has taken Themis review (5 people, 6 exams) passed on the first try so I think we all made a good choice! I watched my girlfriend take and pass two bars with Themis and the takeaway is that you just have to put the time in. Lots of time. But its doable for a two and a half month period. Here we goooo

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TooManyLoans

New

Post by TooManyLoans » Fri May 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Themis PA-NJ and starting next week. The schedule they gave me has me studying every day with like 3 random days off. Hoping I can cram everything into a M-F schedule with weekends off.

puttycake

Bronze

Post by puttycake » Fri May 16, 2014 4:59 pm

TooManyLoans wrote:Themis PA-NJ and starting next week. The schedule they gave me has me studying every day with like 3 random days off. Hoping I can cram everything into a M-F schedule with weekends off.
Yeah, I'm going to try to have a least 1 day off a week so that I don't lose my mind.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Fri May 16, 2014 5:58 pm

I'll probably go hard M-F and then take a light Saturday (~3 hours). Sunday is off limits.

JJ556

New

Post by JJ556 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:40 pm

PA/NJ - started on Monday. Let's just say this summer is going to look great, from inside......

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bld2414

New

Post by bld2414 » Fri May 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Checking from Florida. This should be loads of fun.

puttycake

Bronze

Post by puttycake » Fri May 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Everyone be sure to use the 1.5X or 2.0X speeds on the lectures if your browser will support it and if you can fill in the blanks fast enough and comprehend it. I think this really depends on who the lecturer is. I was just listening to the ConLaw guy, Jeffries, and you definitely want to speed him up if you can. He talks SLOOOOOW. The lectures aren't too bad, though.

hous

Bronze

Post by hous » Fri May 16, 2014 7:59 pm

How much time are you guys spending on this each day to get 100% of your daily assignments done?

I start on Wednesday, not looking forward to it. :(

puttycake

Bronze

Post by puttycake » Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 pm

hous wrote:How much time are you guys spending on this each day to get 100% of your daily assignments done?

I did the first day's work today. I started at about 11:30 and finished just a few minutes ago (it's just after 5:00 here). There were a number of breaks in there, including a walk to the corner market, bathroom and food breaks, some light laundry, and just some fiddling on the internet.

The longest thing by far for me was reading the ConLaw outline. It's 80 pages.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jigglypuffdreams

New

Post by jigglypuffdreams » Fri May 16, 2014 9:53 pm

hous wrote:How much time are you guys spending on this each day to get 100% of your daily assignments done?

It's kind of random to be honest. I always heard anecdotal stuff about "treat it like a 9-5 job" but some days are much longer than others. Today I dicked around and started at 10 a.m. and finished one task, ate lunch, finished my next task by 3. But there are some days where the directed study'll say "read the outline, then watch 8 or 9 20 minute videos" and it'll take a full 6-8 hours to do everything. I haven't started speeding up the videos yet so I think that's why it takes so long. Lately I try to work ahead a little if I still have energy and that helps make the 6-8 hour days better.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Sat May 17, 2014 1:19 am

puttycake wrote:Everyone be sure to use the 1.5X or 2.0X speeds on the lectures if your browser will support it and if you can fill in the blanks fast enough and comprehend it. I think this really depends on who the lecturer is. I was just listening to the ConLaw guy, Jeffries, and you definitely want to speed him up if you can. He talks SLOOOOOW. The lectures aren't too bad, though.
It's actually pretty hilarious. Listen to his 2x lecture for 2-3 minutes then switch back to 1x... i feel like spiderman viewing everything in slow motion.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Sat May 17, 2014 4:20 am

puttycake wrote:Everyone be sure to use the 1.5X or 2.0X speeds on the lectures if your browser will support it and if you can fill in the blanks fast enough and comprehend it. I think this really depends on who the lecturer is. I was just listening to the ConLaw guy, Jeffries, and you definitely want to speed him up if you can. He talks SLOOOOOW. The lectures aren't too bad, though.
YES. True story. Also sometimes the lectures and the handouts may not perfectly correlate, if you still have issues filling out the blank even after replaying it and look at an outline, you can use the message center and ask a "Substantive Law" question. They are really helpful, always answered within a day. You are spending $$$, take advantage of everything they offer!

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Checking in. NY/NJ. Already started because the schedule as it stands has me studying EVERY day with only 2 holidays off. This is unrealistic so I wanted to get a head start so I can take some days off. So far it is taking me much longer than I would like to get through the assignments and recommended activities (making flash cards, reviewing your notes, etc). I may have to start cutting corners so I can keep up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”