Illinois Bar Exam - July 2014 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Flips88

Diamond

Re: Illinois Bar Exam - July 2014

Post by Flips88 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:29 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Anyone else still waiting on their letter with swearing in times?
Did you get certified for C&F? That's about the only thing I could think of, unless you're getting sworn in in another district from the Chicago kids.
Yeah passed c&f...guess I have to give them a call...anyone have the subject of the email handy so I can do a thorough search?
Subject was "Law Class Admission Ceremony" from SupCrt_Clerk@illinoiscourts.gov

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:29 am

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Anyone else still waiting on their letter with swearing in times?
Did you get certified for C&F? That's about the only thing I could think of, unless you're getting sworn in in another district from the Chicago kids.
Yeah passed c&f...guess I have to give them a call...anyone have the subject of the email handy so I can do a thorough search?
Subject was "Law Class Admission Ceremony" from SupCrt_Clerk@illinoiscourts.gov
Thanks.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Now that I've got an official invite, anyone know how long we can expect the ceremony to last?

pauwelsd

New

Post by pauwelsd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 pm

From what I've heard from last year's class, the thing takes 40 minutes to an hour. It makes me question why the 3 hour gap between start times...

beariful

New

Post by beariful » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Those who passed - did you ever receive anything via snail mail? A letter saying you passed (like the one posted online)? Or the details for the ceremony? I have only received everything via email and just feeling worried that something might be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grenadine

New

Post by Grenadine » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:09 pm

beariful wrote:Those who passed - did you ever receive anything via snail mail? A letter saying you passed (like the one posted online)? Or the details for the ceremony? I have only received everything via email and just feeling worried that something might be wrong.
I only got the email.

schweitziro

New

Post by schweitziro » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:21 am

Has anyone received anything since paying the $5.00 to the IL Supreme Court? Like tickets for guests, confirmation, etc.?

MACK

New

Post by MACK » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:41 am

For those of you who passed the IL bar exam, what is the secert to success? I'm planning to take the exam in February for the first time. Seeing the bar exam results and the drastic drop in the pass rate in July (see Chicago Law Bulletin article below) is a little disconcerting.

State bar exam pass rate drops to 80.9
http://chicagolawbulletin.com/Articles/ ... 11-12.aspx

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:38 am

MACK wrote:For those of you who passed the IL bar exam, what is the secert to success? I'm planning to take the exam in February for the first time. Seeing the bar exam results and the drastic drop in the pass rate in July (see Chicago Law Bulletin article below) is a little disconcerting.

How did y'all handle those 15 Illinois subjects. Like WTF.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philosopher1

New

Post by Philosopher1 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:44 am

sparty99 wrote:
MACK wrote:For those of you who passed the IL bar exam, what is the secert to success? I'm planning to take the exam in February for the first time. Seeing the bar exam results and the drastic drop in the pass rate in July (see Chicago Law Bulletin article below) is a little disconcerting.

How did y'all handle those 15 Illinois subjects. Like WTF.
It is important to contemplate the scope of the Illinois exam. It just so happens for IL that the MBE is worth 50%, unlike some other states, and about half of the essay scoring involves MBE-related subjects. So, yeah. You know what you have to do with those subjects. Also, as you study for the MBE itself, it is partly killing 2 birds with one stone because it helps prepare for the essays involving MBE subjects. And vice versa for reading through MBE subject outlines carefully/making your own. If you really buckle down on civ pro, 2 crims, contracts, torts, evidence, con law, property, that is a pretty big deal. Going hard on the MBE will be a worthwhile benefit (and that includes studying those subjects' outlines in addition to drilling the practice MBE questions), and then of course put forth a good effort to cover the bases for the other essays. Don't be impoverished on those subjects, but certainly weigh the MBE subjects the most in my opinion. For the commercial class you take, pretty much just do what it says. For mine, I had a calender with instructions. I merely followed it. Not confident enough or creative enough to be a hero. I did what I was told. Do what you are assigned every day (namely working on subjects you are supposed to study, you don't have to necessarily finish). I went to the class every day, and I personally studied on average 6 hours a day outside of class; I liked to take a nap and then study after an early dinner until I stopped around midnight. Some studied way more, some less. I was able to do 60% of what I was assigned, but it was a good faith effort and covering nearly all bases (obviously not going as in depth as many other people; if you can get a much higher percentage (while keeping the same quality of production), do it). In terms of the number of MBE practice questions, I estimate that I did 1,200. Be very thorough when reading the answers afterword, as that is stuff you will remember going forward and in my opinion what helped me the most for the test. Also, find the common acronyms for many subjects. They're google-able or will be taught to you. Memorizing those really is an advantage, as well. No need to think you're above using acronyms. I made outlines for some subjects, and I was fine with reading/actively reading for other subjects in which I did not have time to make on my own. A way to put odds largely in your favor is to study every single day because some people really just won't/can't, leave some free time for yourself, and have fun, because it's really not a bad experience -- just the wait after the test is. If you tried really hard and especially took the MBE seriously while not ignoring the other subjects, you are in good shape. Stats show the most favored other subjects for essays are secured transactions (on mine), equity (on mine), wills (yeah I was mad I wasted a lot of times with wills, not on it!), trusts (not on it, phew), civ pro (on all of them), agency/corporations (on mine). Best of luck.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Do you have to submit your driving record before the bar exam in order to sit for the Illinois exam?

bartaker2016

New

Post by bartaker2016 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Hello!

I am taking the Illinois in Feb., but just the essay portion. Can anyone send me their old IL bar outlines and IL essay question and prep materials? It would be a huge help! My email is bartaker2015@tutanota.com

Thanks,
A Bartaker

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”