Illinois Bar Exam - July 2014 Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jumpingjack

New

Re: Illinois Bar Exam - July 2014

Post by jumpingjack » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:45 pm

This sounds so stupid, but have they confirmed the UIC forum as the location?

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 pm

jumpingjack wrote:This sounds so stupid, but have they confirmed the UIC forum as the location?
It is probably going to be one of them....they posted all the transport info to get to all these test sites. You should get your test center assignment on Tuesday.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:28 am

So I am taking Kaplan's bar prep course online. I have a Federal Tax video and other prep materials, and I see the topic on external websites for the IL bar. But the "Test Analysis" tab for Kaplan has no entry showing a testing frequency for Federal Tax on the Illinois Bar in the last 10 years. They also don't have any practice exam essay questions for Fed Tax. Is the topic new?

I watched the video and it was super basic, but I have no idea how much to study for it. Seems like a new topic would be more likely to be tested.

Grenadine

New

Post by Grenadine » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:56 pm

bdubs wrote:So I am taking Kaplan's bar prep course online. I have a Federal Tax video and other prep materials, and I see the topic on external websites for the IL bar. But the "Test Analysis" tab for Kaplan has no entry showing a testing frequency for Federal Tax on the Illinois Bar in the last 10 years. They also don't have any practice exam essay questions for Fed Tax. Is the topic new?

I watched the video and it was super basic, but I have no idea how much to study for it. Seems like a new topic would be more likely to be tested.
In that email last week about the practice test it said that it was tested once in the past 15 years (along with admin and a couple others iir?) so it probably just hasn't been tested in forever. I'm not sure if that means they've given up on it or if it's definitely time to test on it again. But I'm planning on knowing just what the major deductions/exemptions are and how to do that whole adjusted basis/amount realized deal, because those are probably what a question would be on?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Do we get an admission form before the exam...i.e. anything we need to bring with us? Or do we just show up with or DL and get the photo badge thing?

Also, can anyone point me to a test-day rules "all the stuff you can't have b/c we know you'll figure out how to cheat using a snickers bar" list?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:34 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Do we get an admission form before the exam...i.e. anything we need to bring with us? Or do we just show up with or DL and get the photo badge thing?

Also, can anyone point me to a test-day rules "all the stuff you can't have b/c we know you'll figure out how to cheat using a snickers bar" list?
We are supposed usually 2 weeks before....so today but it hasn't come yet and there is no notice on the site yet.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Duchovnysfan wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Do we get an admission form before the exam...i.e. anything we need to bring with us? Or do we just show up with or DL and get the photo badge thing?

We are supposed usually 2 weeks before....so today but it hasn't come yet and there is no notice on the site yet.

Explained that horribly...so 2 weeks before we are supposed to get our test assignment and the list of what to bring or not

You get the photo badge the day of have your DL

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:42 am

Duchovnysfan wrote:
Duchovnysfan wrote:

Explained that horribly...so 2 weeks before we are supposed to get our test assignment and the list of what to bring or not

You get the photo badge the day of have your DL
thanks...this thing is open book, right? If not, I'm f'd... :wink: :arrow: :|

jumpingjack

New

Post by jumpingjack » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Where is the e-mail!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:19 pm

jumpingjack wrote:Where is the e-mail!!!
just got mine...but it just refers you to your bar page, so go sign in there see if any new docs posted

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Looks like there are at least two different test sites in Chicago. I'll be at UIC Forum.

jumpingjack

New

Post by jumpingjack » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Best news: they provide you with pen/pencils.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:13 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:Looks like there are at least two different test sites in Chicago. I'll be at UIC Forum.
The Forum is good, there are a few places to eat within walking distance. I preferred that way more than the Pavilion. The Pavilion blows nothing is nearby except for a target that is a 10 mins walk that everyone raids during lunch time.

I am bummed I got the Pavilion again :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jumpingjack

New

Post by jumpingjack » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Themis frequency charts say that Administrative Law was used for the first time in 2010 in 20 years, and as part of the IL Civ Pro essay.

I'm thinking I'm not going to be doing any Admin Law studying.

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 pm

jumpingjack wrote:Themis frequency charts say that Administrative Law was used for the first time in 2010 in 20 years, and as part of the IL Civ Pro essay.

Tell me more about these frequency charts.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:01 am

Georgia Avenue wrote:
jumpingjack wrote:Themis frequency charts say that Administrative Law was used for the first time in 2010 in 20 years, and as part of the IL Civ Pro essay.

Basically know MBE subjects plus ucc (2,3,and 9) wills and trusts, civ pro, business organizations, family law, and conflicts those often come up.

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 am

Duchovnysfan wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:

Basically know MBE subjects plus ucc (2,3,and 9) wills and trusts, civ pro, business organizations, family law, and conflicts those often come up.
.....and Equity (Remedies) as well.

Also note that Equity, conflict of laws are never questions on their own, they are often combined with another subject such as family law, contracts, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:33 am

UCC 3/9 = commercial paper/sec trans yeah?

Duchovnysfan

New

Post by Duchovnysfan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:47 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:UCC 3/9 = commercial paper/sec trans yeah?
Yes!! And commercial paper will not be on the MEE any longer after this exam wooooo

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Duchovnysfan wrote:
Georgia Avenue wrote:UCC 3/9 = commercial paper/sec trans yeah?
Yes!! And commercial paper will not be on the MEE any longer after this exam wooooo
Seriously? How did we get screwed with being the last to have to learn UCC 3?

Georgia Avenue

Bronze

Post by Georgia Avenue » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:10 am

Passing score's going up to 268 next year though, so don't feel like you got screwed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:26 am

Does anyone have a take on how secure the public "dump your stuff here" areas are/will be? In hindisght I could've brought a few things to the MPRE at Kent and felt fine leaving them. I'd kind of prefer to pack a lunch and be able to otherwise chill rather than going looking for food.

jumpingjack

New

Post by jumpingjack » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Does anyone have a take on how secure the public "dump your stuff here" areas are/will be? In hindisght I could've brought a few things to the MPRE at Kent and felt fine leaving them. I'd kind of prefer to pack a lunch and be able to otherwise chill rather than going looking for food.
The papers says that it will be completely unsecured. At law school I left my shit out all the time, but it was a more insular group and I knew the area. Personally I wouldn't leave anything or a lunch.

dudnaito

Bronze

Post by dudnaito » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

Admin law's pretty short. Just read through the outlines twice through, literally memorize maybe 10 terms per subject you can absolutely bullshit on when the time inevitably comes. Also, there's no way in hell i'm even gonna bother intentionally memorizing the state-specific rules. Federal rules for you, and you, and you.

There'll be plenty of us, especially myself, who decided to spend virtually all his time doing well on the MBE subjects, and looking over some MPT's. It'll be a nightmare scenario to literally look at an essay topic and leave it blank, but i have no doubt they get some completely clueless essays that just scream, " i don't know what i'm doing but plz. don't fail me."

It's a 90% pass jurisdiction. Apparently being in the top 40% of your MBE's is a virtual autopass; someone did the math and found out you need to score in the bottom .5% of the essay section or something to fail at that point as in, the scaled scores provided for us by the Illinois Bar Examiners actually didn't have a score that even went that low, so we're actually not even sure how low we have to go. Just try your best, and I'm sure we'll all do fine. Except me, I'm totally screwed. I don't even know what a civ pro is lol... seriously, i don't. Something about venues and jurisdiction or so the rumor mill says.
Last edited by dudnaito on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:25 am

dudnaito wrote:there's no way in hell i'm even gonna bother intentionally memorizing the state-specific rules. Federal rules for you, and you, and you.
Preach brother.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”