Upcoming MPRE--when to start studying?

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Startled Rabbit

New

Re: Upcoming MPRE--when to start studying?

Postby Startled Rabbit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:52 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Startled Rabbit wrote:
passx3 wrote:
CaliGirl81 wrote:So how does this work? I took the MPRE twice and I got an 84 and an 82. I'm in California, so I need an 86. How many questions do I need right of 50 to get an 86? All the practice tests I took ranged from 31-34 out of 60 correct.

Do some questions one week before so you can gauge how much studying time you personally need. My friends who followed the "you'll be fine, just look at the material two days before the exam" tended to be pissed at that advice. My friends who started more than a week in advance said they'd definitely over-studied.

Spent four hours studying the day before. Listened to a lecture on the car ride over. Got well over 100.

It's best not to find out on exam day whether or not this method works for you. It doesn't hurt to at least take a look a week before.

passx3

New

Postby passx3 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:10 am

redtalun wrote:
passx3 wrote:
CaliGirl81 wrote:So how does this work? I took the MPRE twice and I got an 84 and an 82. I'm in California, so I need an 86. How many questions do I need right of 50 to get an 86? All the practice tests I took ranged from 31-34 out of 60 correct.

The test has like a 90% pass rate and most people barely study. You don't need to do much. Take the free course offered by BarBri or Kaplan, do all of the practice questions, and you'll pass by a mile.

you're way off on the pass rate: http://www.ncbex.org/publications/stati ... tatistics/

See Florida MPRE pass rate, August 2012: 89.1%.

Source: https://www.law.ufl.edu/flalaw/2012/10/ ... e-results/

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:30 am

I think the big thing is whether you've taken a PR/ethics course, and whether that course focused on the Model Rules. If you have (my school required PR and my prof basically drilled the major rules), then you don't need to study very much at all. If you haven't had any real exposure to the Rules then you should probably start a little earlier.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:00 am

So, I think you want to study 1-2 weeks ahead of the test.

Studying any earlier than that, IMO, you get diminishing returns. Any later than that, and it seems like a bit of a mess.

I would be signed up, have my books ready 2 weeks before the MPRE and start actually studying a week or a week and a half before the exam.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:25 am

Startled Rabbit wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
Startled Rabbit wrote:
passx3 wrote:

Do some questions one week before so you can gauge how much studying time you personally need. My friends who followed the "you'll be fine, just look at the material two days before the exam" tended to be pissed at that advice. My friends who started more than a week in advance said they'd definitely over-studied.

Spent four hours studying the day before. Listened to a lecture on the car ride over. Got well over 100.

It's best not to find out on exam day whether or not this method works for you. It doesn't hurt to at least take a look a week before.

But you'd find out a whole day before!

CaliGirl81

New

Postby CaliGirl81 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, I thought I'd never be posting any good news about the MPRE, but today, December 5, 2016, was an amazing day. After failing with an 84 on March 19, 2016 and an 82 on August 13, 2016, I finally took it again on November 5, 2016 and passed with a 103!!!!!!

How you may ask?

For two tries, I was relying to much on a dense BARBRI outline and 4 of its practice tests. It is an ocean of information and can be very difficult to compartmentalize.

This time around, I discovered AmeriBar. This is what worked for me:

1) Go to the AmeriBar website at http://www.ameribarstudent.com/account/ ... A6&c=51542,

2) Download their outline which is much more basic and listen to the audio sections on the site as as you read along the outline. The audio clips are organized for each section ranging from Lawyer's Duties, to Transactions with Third Parties, to Judicial Ethics, etc.

3) Then, once you understand the more basic version and have gone through the whole thing on AmeriBar, start reading the dense BARBRI outline; the BARBRI outline will make a lot more sense if you read the more basic AmeriBar version first.

4) After you've read them all, then do the four practice tests AmeriBar has online.

5) After you're done with the four practice tests on AmeriBar, then do the four practice tests BARBRI has in its book.

Ultimately, this is what worked for me and the proof is in the pudding.

Good luck you guys!!!!!

fakemoney

Bronze

Postby fakemoney » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:37 pm

The night before.

Seriously. I was hardly a brilliant law student, but an all-nighter speeding through BarBri's free prep lectures sufficed to pass with a small cushion.

Law&coffee

New

Postby Law&coffee » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:38 pm

Two days of solid prep should be enough. I used Barbri.

OzStriker1

New

Postby OzStriker1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:31 am

LOL MPRE

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum�