So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

jessuf

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Is $250 a good price for all of the 2013-2014 barbri books?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:14 am

I think so - basically BarBri gives you back your $250 deposit if you return the books, so it seems unlikely someone would sell them for less.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:06 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think so - basically BarBri gives you back your $250 deposit if you return the books, so it seems unlikely someone would sell them for less.

Okay, thanks! They come with a flashcard kit, outlines, and extra essay books, so I will try to sell what I don't want/need.

yaffa9423

Postby yaffa9423 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Jessuf wrote:Thanks for this thread. I'm going to self-study with some Barbri books I can get from a friend who took July 2013 in my state.

Has anyone heard anything about Barmax?

I second that - does anyone have any guidance on barmax? I'm looking to take the july NY bar but I can't find any real people reviews.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:15 am

I took CA with Barbri and am in the middle of taking WA (UBE) with Themis. I was going to self study but I did not trust myself.

So far, I am unimpressed with Themis. The outlines do not compare with Barbri and I have a general feeling Themis doesn't have their shit together. I am using most of my old materials from barbri to study.

If you are taking back to back bars - save your money and self study on the second one. The law is still fresh enough and you can buy the materials you need for much cheaper than taking another course.

mr. wednesday

Postby mr. wednesday » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 pm

yaffa9423 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:Thanks for this thread. I'm going to self-study with some Barbri books I can get from a friend who took July 2013 in my state.

Has anyone heard anything about Barmax?

I second that - does anyone have any guidance on barmax? I'm looking to take the july NY bar but I can't find any real people reviews.

My understanding is that it's really lacking in structure, exercises, graded essays, etc but does come with a lot of material. If you want to pay for a course, see if Themis will price match or at least come down. If you want to self-study, go with BarMax or buy someone's barbri materials.

Jan 14

Postby Jan 14 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 pm

Glad to have read this post, given all the positive things written about Kaplan.
My firm said they would pay for my bar expenses but I was surprised to learn that they use Kaplan. I assumed Barbri was the default for firms. I then learned that no one using Kaplan at this firm has ever failed the bar (probably why they continue their Kaplan account).
Certainly makes me feel better.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think so - basically BarBri gives you back your $250 deposit if you return the books, so it seems unlikely someone would sell them for less.

Right. If they are in good shape, then that's definitely a good price.

IFoughtTheLaw

Postby IFoughtTheLaw » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:47 pm

I have zero desire to do in person lectures. I would like to watch video lectures from home at high speed (1.2 - 2x), have a non-shitty UI/website, not be forced to fill in any outlines like I was with BarBRI's MPRE course (just give me materials to memorize!).

So, can anyone please chime in on how user-friendly the website are for Kaplan, BarBri, or Themis? A functional Android or iOS MBE practice app would be nice too. Also, I like the idea of the site auto-grading how good I am, and comparing me to other test takers so I don't fall behind.

Thanks!

It's A Lion

Postby It's A Lion » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:08 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:I have zero desire to do in person lectures. I would like to watch video lectures from home at high speed (1.2 - 2x), have a non-shitty UI/website, not be forced to fill in any outlines like I was with BarBRI's MPRE course (just give me materials to memorize!).

So, can anyone please chime in on how user-friendly the website are for Kaplan, BarBri, or Themis? A functional Android or iOS MBE practice app would be nice too. Also, I like the idea of the site auto-grading how good I am, and comparing me to other test takers so I don't fall behind.

Thanks!

Both BarBri and Kaplan offer free MPRE courses. The MPRE platforms are similar to what is used for the actual bar exam courses. You can sign up for free to get an idea as to which program you prefer.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:40 pm

IFoughtTheLaw wrote:I have zero desire to do in person lectures. I would like to watch video lectures from home at high speed (1.2 - 2x), have a non-shitty UI/website, not be forced to fill in any outlines like I was with BarBRI's MPRE course (just give me materials to memorize!).

Thanks!

Sounds like you won't like Barbri

It's A Lion wrote:Both BarBri and Kaplan offer free MPRE courses. The MPRE platforms are similar to what is used for the actual bar exam courses. You can sign up for free to get an idea as to which program you prefer.

BarMax has a free MPRE app too. Not sure about Themis.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:48 pm

superflush wrote:
It's A Lion wrote:Both BarBri and Kaplan offer free MPRE courses. The MPRE platforms are similar to what is used for the actual bar exam courses. You can sign up for free to get an idea as to which program you prefer.

BarMax has a free MPRE app too. Not sure about Themis.

Themis has one, too.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:11 pm

are the supposed "deposit deadlines" all bullshit?

i'm thinking of holding out and negotiating with barbri/kaplan.

aike

Postby aike » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Lasers wrote:are the supposed "deposit deadlines" all bullshit?

i'm thinking of holding out and negotiating with barbri/kaplan.

Just so you know, you can play Barbri and Kaplan off each other and get a lower price. Just keep going back and forth between the two of them and they'll keep lowering their prices to beat their competitor. Worked for many of my friends in law school, but there is a limit as to how low they'll go.

I did Barbri for my first bar exam (Texas, 2012, passed) and I just used Themis for the MA Bar (Feb. 2014). I actually liked Themis a lot and if you have the motivation to make yourself sit down without feeling compelled to actually attend a class, Themis is a good deal for the money.

SK1124

Postby SK1124 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi all,

I am enrolling to write the NY bar this July. I am a student in MI, so I am out of state. I am trying to way my options. I have looked over the abundance of bar prep options and am still pretty confused. I am trying to avoid taking a commercial prep course. From my research, I was thinking of studying for the essays with the Seperac NY outlines. For the MBE I was planning on either using the Kaplan QBank or Adaptibar. Is there a point in doing both? Better to stick to one only? Do you think the Seperac outlines will be enough to prep me for the essays? Will the outlines also prep me for the NYMC?

Now if I had to do a course it would be themis online for 1400ish, but like I said I am trying to avoid that.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated..

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 pm

SK1124 wrote:For the MBE I was planning on either using the Kaplan QBank or Adaptibar. Is there a point in doing both? Better to stick to one only?

I liked Adaptibar a lot. I would say that there probably isn't a point to doing both. If Kaplan uses the same released questions, then it would be the same questions regardless.

jennmiller323

Postby jennmiller323 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 am

I did pretty much what the guy above suggest. A lot of free tools like these Google Docs of (mostly) free BAR Exam Cheat Sheets

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JcdEzANbj0wR_tOvrKhAMrzmS3u34MXOogQzNTLlu5A/edit

and then a few hundred on random other stuff

stopherwong

Postby stopherwong » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:35 am

For any one in Southern California, another bar program to consider is Fleming's Fundamentals of Law. I am a student rep for Flemings. If you want more info about Flemings, you can PM me or click this link --LinkRemoved--

RyeRye

Postby RyeRye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Themis is horrible. haven't tried the rest.. but stay away from Themis, they do NOTHING for you except give u bunch of MBE's that keep repeating!

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:50 pm

RyeRye wrote:Themis is horrible. haven't tried the rest.. but stay away from Themis, they do NOTHING for you except give u bunch of MBE's that keep repeating!

I wil argue against this. Themis is the best bar course. The bar exam is one of the easiest exams you will ever take. No need to overdo it. Themis give you a ton of questions and, unlike the poster above states, the questions don't repeat that often. Sure, you're doing thousands of MBE questions. There are only so many out there so they sometimes use the same fact patterns. But they tweak it and it makes you read it closer. Kaplan does the same thing.

I remember I was trying to think about how I was going to pay $4k for barbri. Last minute I just did Themis and I passed by a large margin.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:41 pm

RyeRye wrote:Themis is horrible. haven't tried the rest.. but stay away from Themis, they do NOTHING for you except give u bunch of MBE's that keep repeating!

You know that's intentional, right? The MBE is the biggest chunk of whether you pass or fail in most states, and the MBE tends to repeat the same types of questions over and over.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:23 am

What is the lowest price anyone has negotiated out of Themis for the New York bar?

JDScholar

Postby JDScholar » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:30 pm

I went to law school in a different state than the state where I took the bar exam. Studied for 2 months straight using hand-me-down books from friends I knew in town (make sure to double check some stuff to make sure the law is still good.) I passed on my first try.

Advice: save the $3,000 and take your girlfriend (or boyfriend) out to a nice steak dinner.

JDScholar

Postby JDScholar » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Jessuf wrote:Is $250 a good price for all of the 2013-2014 barbri books?

Yup.

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:10 pm

My firm pays for Barbri and either the 3- or 6-day Kaplan/PMBR MBE course.

Any thoughts on whether I should do the 3- or 6-day MBE course? The 3-day is apparently one timed test, with 2 days of reviewing it. The 6-day is learning one topic per day.

I was thinking 3-day since Barbri will do a full review of the MBE, and I thought more instruction (as opposed to more practice) might be overkill.

Thoughts?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”