So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

LittleE

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby LittleE » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:45 am

Have a complete set of GA Barbri books for sale (Conviser, Multistate Outline, GA Outline, MPT, GA Essay, MPQ, Simulated MBE, MBE Workshop + all lectures and outlines). Will also throw in Kaplan MBE Qs Book and my personal outlines. ---> all for $450

Have Critical Pass Flashcards for sale ---> $65

pdwannabe

Postby pdwannabe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:10 pm

anyone know what happens if you fail the bar and want to re-take a study course? I took Barbri for this summer. do i have to pay again to use them for Feb?

LittleE

Postby LittleE » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:16 pm

pdwannabe wrote:anyone know what happens if you fail the bar and want to re-take a study course? I took Barbri for this summer. do i have to pay again to use them for Feb?

Barbri have a free repeat program. You just have to re-enroll. But if you want new books, which you probably do for Feb. (b/c MBE will be different), then you have to pay $250 book deposit fee.

pdwannabe

Postby pdwannabe » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:54 pm

is that true even if I'm taking a different State?

nunumaster

Postby nunumaster » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Is there really any reason for me to turn down a free $500 by going with Kaplan instead of Barbri? I mean it is literally money for my pockets.

joeyc328

Postby joeyc328 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:19 pm

nunumaster wrote:Is there really any reason for me to turn down a free $500 by going with Kaplan instead of Barbri? I mean it is literally money for my pockets.

No, unless a live or real-time video course is helpful to you. I am one of the few people who watched every lecture live and found it helpful.

LittleE

Postby LittleE » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:10 am

pdwannabe wrote:is that true even if I'm taking a different State?

Nope. Have to be same state and the administration immediate after the bar you failed.

Chris_H

Postby Chris_H » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Hey all --

Just a heads-up that Esqyr offers over 1,100 MBE questions, answers, and answer explanations for $189, and 267 MEE essays, answers, and answer explanations for $189, too. Our materials are licensed from the NCBE --

http://www.esqyr.com

Send me an email with any questions -- http://www.esqyr.com/contact

Thanks --

just_me

Postby just_me » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 am

I read this thread when I was deciding on a prep program, and so wanted to contribute my thoughts in case it would be helpful to anyone else.

A bit of background: I am already a lawyer in the UK. So, I’m foreign-educated, but english-speaking.

There were many topics on the bar exam that I was already familiar with due to my studies/ experience in my home jurisdiction. However, there were also areas where the law diverges, and so I had to essentially “unlearn” certain facts and accept the opposite thing as true. Furthermore, there were areas of law about which I knew absolutely nothing (my knowledge of the U.S. constitution, for example, essentially amounted to seeing tv characters cite the fifth amendment).

I took Themis, and passed in New York with room to spare.

I feel as though the fact that I was able to pass - even with the added impediment of being foreign-educated - reflects well on the program. I’m pleased that I picked it, and didn’t spend thousands more dollars unnecessarily. I don’t think many people walk out of the bar exam feeling like they absolutely nailed it, but I felt as okay-ish as I think is possible. I remember feeling that, even if I’d failed, I couldn’t blame Themis - they’d pretty much covered all the bases.

Just one more point: throughout the process of studying, I saw references on TLS to various ways people were supplementing their bar prep program. Adaptibar, Emmanuel, Lean Sheets… to be honest, I didn’t fully know what any of these things were or how to go about getting them, and still don’t. I guess that’s the result of not going through this process with a cohort of others from law school - I did the whole thing independently, and just put my faith in Themis. From my experience, if you just follow their program, you’ll likely have enough on your plate, and there is no need to add other things into the mix!

viz-luv

Postby viz-luv » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:38 am

Thought I'd post another data point here. Passed Texas using baroutlines.com (always trust thesealocust) and the question bank from barmax. Worked great even though I had serious time challenges. Feel free to pm with questions.

Amg36

Postby Amg36 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:31 am

So here's a good one...

I graduated in 2010 and have been out of the field since. My goal is to take the bar in July, which gives me some time, but I also work full-time and am a single parent. Is this actually doable? I'm exploring some options with work, but in the meantime I'm looking for the most comprehensive bar study program since I've been out of the field for so long. Does anyone have experience with a longer-term course? I also benefit from structure - a self-paced program is not likely to work well for me. Any thoughts?

oneljason

Postby oneljason » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 pm

Barbri is not worth the money they charge and the customer service is subpar. I've had several issues with the website and each resolution took more than one phone call. This was a major reason I decided to switch to another course. Kaplan's prep is also more user friendly in my opinion, but I'm basing my opinion off Barbri's law school materials, so take it with a grain of salt. For those 1L's who are thinking about "locking in the rate" with any company; I would hold off. Both companies offer several promotions throughout the year that would discount your price more than the "locked rate." Also, if you go with Barbri, ask for copies of everything before signing. I've had issues with them claiming I committed to the prep course, despite Barbri not being able to produce a signed agreement. Barbri even went as far as charging my credit card in full after I switched and I had to spend many hours disputing the transaction. Kaplan's customer service has been great so far and respond faster than Barbri.

lawstudent35

Postby lawstudent35 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:02 pm

Set of Themis July 2016 UBE books, Kaplan multi-state workbook and pmbr supplemental bar review for sale. $200

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”