So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

guyindfw

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby guyindfw » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:45 pm

CordeliasFool wrote:Has anyone switched from Themis to Barbri? Any thoughts? I'm taking the July bar and thinking about switching my bar prep program.

Practice is most important, Themis or Barbri doesnt matter IMO. I made a switch from Themis to Barbri. You can negotiate Barbri price to equal Themis this late.

Sprout

Postby Sprout » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:57 pm

Has anyone heard of bar exam toolbox? sounds shady to me but does anyone have any experience with it or know anyone who does?

http://barexamtoolbox.com

cnk1220

Postby cnk1220 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Sprout wrote:Has anyone heard of bar exam toolbox? sounds shady to me but does anyone have any experience with it or know anyone who does?

http://barexamtoolbox.com

I've heard of them- but only read through "bar exam tips"- can't speak to any of their course materials!

LMMadison

Postby LMMadison » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Silly question: I'm taking the July UBE in a flyover state and thinking of buying used Barbri books. Does it matter what state's books I use for the UBE? Seems like if the UBE format is MBE, MEE + 2 MPTs, none of the content is state-specific -- so Barbri's UBE material in UBE state A would be identical to UBE state B. Is this correct?

Just wanted to sanity-check this before buying UBE books from NY, NJ, etc.

cnk1220

Postby cnk1220 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 pm

LMMadison wrote:Silly question: I'm taking the July UBE in a flyover state and thinking of buying used Barbri books. Does it matter what state's books I use for the UBE? Seems like if the UBE format is MBE, MEE + 2 MPTs, none of the content is state-specific -- so Barbri's UBE material in UBE state A would be identical to UBE state B. Is this correct?

Just wanted to sanity-check this before buying UBE books from NY, NJ, etc.

No it doesnt matter. I just took NY- selling some of my books, made a thread about this, if you wanna check for details.

lalalalalaw

Postby lalalalalaw » Tue May 02, 2017 1:51 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread or if someone has already asked this question. I don't want to spend $$$ on a big name review course and have been looking into using a combination of outlines, practice questions and flashcards. I've found a few commercial flashcard packs and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of them. Thanks!

lalalalalaw

Postby lalalalalaw » Wed May 03, 2017 9:50 pm

lalalalalaw wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread or if someone has already asked this question. I don't want to spend $$$ on a big name review course and have been looking into using a combination of outlines, practice questions and flashcards. I've found a few commercial flashcard packs and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of them. Thanks!

I've done more research on the flashcard options out there for the MBE so I thought I'd share what I've found and answer my own question :) So far the best option I've been able to find is the "Raise the Bar" iphone app. It seems to have more/higher quality content than everything else I've looked at. My second favorite is "Critical Pass" but I'm not so sure about it because its cards are more like outlines and not true flashcards. If anyone else has any other recommendations, I'm still looking for advice.

Here are links to both:
Raise the Bar -- https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1229896638
Critical Pass -- https://criticalpass.com/

squiggle

Postby squiggle » Sun May 07, 2017 9:34 pm

lalalalalaw wrote:
lalalalalaw wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong thread or if someone has already asked this question. I don't want to spend $$$ on a big name review course and have been looking into using a combination of outlines, practice questions and flashcards. I've found a few commercial flashcard packs and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of them. Thanks!

I've done more research on the flashcard options out there for the MBE so I thought I'd share what I've found and answer my own question :) So far the best option I've been able to find is the "Raise the Bar" iphone app. It seems to have more/higher quality content than everything else I've looked at. My second favorite is "Critical Pass" but I'm not so sure about it because its cards are more like outlines and not true flashcards. If anyone else has any other recommendations, I'm still looking for advice.

Here are links to both:
Raise the Bar -- https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1229896638
Critical Pass -- https://criticalpass.com/

You might want to check out this thread all about flashcards: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=241026

dvd0188

Postby dvd0188 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112391054038?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed May 10, 2017 5:51 pm

Thoughts on how important are supplements (ie Adaptibar) really? It seems like everyone on TLS is using them, but no one I've talked to IRL is.

I'm using Themis (which has 2,500+ pq's it looks like). I tend to do well on MC things (more so than essays). I also don't really have (or want to) $300 to drop on Adaptibar. But if it's that much of a leg-up /necessary it might be worth it.

lgp876

Postby lgp876 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:42 pm

Hello,

I am taking the MEE/MPT portion of the DC July bar and in need of study materials. Please PM me if you would like to sell your MEE/MPT books, outlines, essays etc.

Also, does anyone have any feedback on the JD Advising MEE One Sheets? I'm trying to justify the $169 price tag.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone taking the bar exam in July!

cnk1220

Postby cnk1220 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:49 pm

lgp876 wrote:Hello,

I am taking the MEE/MPT portion of the DC July bar and in need of study materials. Please PM me if you would like to sell your MEE/MPT books, outlines, essays etc.

Also, does anyone have any feedback on the JD Advising MEE One Sheets? I'm trying to justify the $169 price tag.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone taking the bar exam in July!

I used one-sheets for feb, passed with a 151 on essays (first time taker). One sheets focuses on highly tested topics so you prioritize your rule memorization. If u end up going with the one-sheets use discount code "IPASSEDTHEBAR" for an extra 10% off

Edit sorry-forgot you pmed me as well already!

lgp876

Postby lgp876 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm

cnk1220 wrote:

I used one-sheets for feb, passed with a 151 on essays (first time taker). One sheets focuses on highly tested topics so you prioritize your rule memorization. If u end up going with the one-sheets use discount code "IPASSEDTHEBAR" for an extra 10% off

Thank you!!! So you would recommend the one-sheets over the Studicata outlines? I can't afford both and the one-sheets are more expensive even with the 10% discount :(

cnk1220

Postby cnk1220 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 pm

lgp876 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

Thank you!!! So you would recommend the one-sheets over the Studicata outlines? I can't afford both and the one-sheets are more expensive even with the 10% discount :(

I can't speak to studicata- never used it, one-sheets may be pricey but I thought they were worth it for me.

clockguy

Postby clockguy » Mon May 15, 2017 7:52 pm

To save people the heartache. I do not recommend Themis for the CA bar. Everyone I know plus people who failed the first time on TLS seemed to have used it.

dvd0188

Postby dvd0188 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:10 am

Hey guys,

Just FYI, I am selling my brand new Themis MULTISTATE Exam Books on ebay if anyone is interested. I ended up never using these so I wanted to sell them to someone who is looking for a cheaper option than purchasing the entire Themis course. There are six books in total, which cover all three portions of the UBE. I included a link below if y'all are interested. Good luck with bar prep!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112411634527?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

1joe

Postby 1joe » Tue May 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Hey Guys,

First, I wanted to thank everyone for the information they've been willing to share here. I've definitely benefited a lot from it. I wish I would have read some of the information sooner, because it could have helped me avoid failing the bar on my first and second attempts.

I'm writing this to give something back.

My first attempt I failed the 2/16 bar exam. My second attempt I failed the 7/16 bar exam. Failing the first time is extremely discouraging. But failing the second time, I can't really put into words. Other than you feel utterly devastated. Especially after putting in all the time and effort on your second attempt. I finally passed (2/17) the exam.

Heres my experience with the resources I've used and my recommendations:

My first attempt I used Barbri.
RESULT: I failed.
PROS: Good reference materials if you have a question on an issue.
CONS: No guidance, no one to ask question. Poor feedback on essays.

My second attempt I studied on my own, using outlines and materials.
RESULT: I failed.
PROS: Studying and covering my weaknesses.
CONS: No one to hold me accountable, or to explain what I need to know to pass the exam.

My third attempt I used bestlawschooltutors.com
RESULT: I passed.
PROS: Good materials great guidance on how to pass the exam.
CONS: Must have the schedule to commit the time their course requires.

MY OBSERVATIONS:
Before this experience, I had always thought of myself as a law student who could self study. Meaning, I could motivate myself and know where to focus my studies and what I needed to do. All I needed was reference material that was good and I could pass the exam.

What I have learned about myself through my experience and about most other people by hearing their experiences is that most people cannot self study to pass the bar exam. Most people need help throughout the process of preparing for the bar exam. I know there are many people on here taking exams in other states. My experience is for the California Bar exam only.

MY RECOMMENDATIONS:
IF YOU ARE A SELF STUDY LAW STUDENT:
If you consider yourself a self study law student I would recommend Barbri. Their reference materials are very good, books and videos. I believe you have everything you need to pass the exam.

IF YOU ARE NOT A SELF STUDY LAW STUDENT:
If you are not a self study law student I would recommend Bestlawschooltutors.com. Or some type of similar service that will guide you through the process of preparing for the bar exam, give you feedback and hold you accountable to do the work.

Hope this is helpful.

law9871

Postby law9871 » Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

lgp876 wrote:
cnk1220 wrote:

I highly recommend the Critical Pass MBE Flashcards (it comes with the app for free) as a supplement for your bar course. If you are interested I can send you 10% off if you email 2017barexam@gmail.com.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”