So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:12 pm

I noticed a bunch of you bros keep asking about bar prep companies: Namely, how much do I need to spend to ensure that I pass?While that's a bit too simplistic, spending a few thousand more for a bar prep company is not worth it. So let's break it down by cost and what other posters said about their bar prep experience. I'll break things down by bar prep course (adding course details and reviews from other threads and other posters) and then add an index to any and all old bar prep threads. It'll take me a bit of time to add details to this first post, so bear with me. If you had additional info, go ahead and post it, and I'll do my best to get that info into the first post so that things don't get lost in the thread.

FORUM INPUT/REVIEWS:

WHICH COURSE SHOULD I BUY THREADS?
Its that time again, Barbri or Kaplan
Two state bar review pricing?
Information on Choosing a Bar Review Course/Method of Study
Selecting Bar Review Courses

BARBRI

BARBRI THREADS
Barbri for peace of mind for the NY July 2014 bar?
Is BARBRI enough to pass the bar?
BARBRI Bar Prep: A dissenting view

rad lulz wrote:Passed FL on my first time w Barbri. The course is set up to needlessly freak you out. I was WAY above passing (over 150 on the FL part, over 170 on the MBE, needed 136 avg. of both to pass) because the course played mind games with my head so I studied too hard. That said, my state materials were good. But if you're a smart person and good test taker, I don't think it really matter what course you take, so COP DAT THEMIS.


blong4133 wrote:Took BarBri and passed comfortably on my first try in WV (also went to a law school that is far inferior to those most on these boards attended, for what it's worth). My comments will echo many of the others, so for the sake of not being repetitive, I'll add my two cents that does not pertain to what has already been said (scare tactics etc.). But, with the exception of a few changes, I followed study smart to a tee. (I did an additional simulated essay final that was not assigned - 3 hours and 6 essays) did a lot more essays/questions than were assigned.

The whole idea of waiting until the last week or two to start memorizing is insanity to me. I memorized whatever was covered the day I went over it. I made flash cards immediately after listening to the lectures and did not go to bed until I had them memorized. I did this for every subject, then the last couple of weeks where BarBri said to start memorizing, I already had the major areas down, and was able to hone in on some of the more detailed things.

I also did most of the essays for every subject in the essay book...as well as all of the essays with a score sheet in the essay advantage book.

I did all of the sets in the MPQII book, and just about all of them in the MPQ1 book. I would lay in bed and do at least 20 - 40 questions on the Barbri Ap before going to sleep.

I also used Kaplan's Q bank as well for additional practice, but found those questions to be not as similar to the real thing as Barbri's questions.

I purchased Lean Sheets to review the last couple of days and immediately before each exam.

I didn't feel very comfortable with PT's, simply because I had a lot of practical writing classes in school and was on moot court etc. and was in the habit of trying to spin/use ever fact to help your argument. It was extremely difficult for me to sift through the unimportant information. As such, I was having some serious trouble getting PT's done in time. I did about 8 or 9 and listened to the lecture, but still didn't feel very confident. I did read over all of the different formats, which helped me to familiarize myself with the different types of tasks. (this ended up being clutch with the Palindrome PT since it was very similar to a PT I read over the day before the test), but I finished the real things just in time, literally right as they called time during the real thing.

But overall, I'd say it was worth it. And I'm basing that on nothing more than the fact that I had all the information I needed, and that I passed. If I hadn't, I'd obviously have a different take on it.


iwakeboard wrote:Passed in TN on the first attempt using Barbri. As rad said, it is designed to freak you out. The Pace bar will be your nemesis throughout the lectures but after the lectures end you'll start focusing more on the material you need to review rather than what the Pace bar says. I want to say I quit feeding the Pace bar around 60-70% if I remember correctly. I think the thing I most enjoyed about Barbri was the feedback. The website, midterm, AMP, and MBE practice really provided a lot of good feedback about what I did and didn't know. Unfortunately Tennessee doesn't provide you with your score unless you fail so I can't confidently say I'd use any other program like Rad did. However, Rad and I had scarily similar Barbri scoring throughout the summer so I'd like to say I would have passed with any other program but I don't know for sure.


A. Nony Mouse wrote:I took Barbri (UBE state) and passed easily, but probably half my class took Kaplan and passed too (no idea how easily because I don't know their scores, obviously, but it's the bar so who cares). I don't regret taking Barbri, but if I were doing it over again I'd at least take Kaplan if not Themis (I just don't know anyone IRL who used Themis, not that I think there's anything wrong with it). To me a course over self-study with various materials was worth it because you do get useful feedback and a lot of info about how the test is written/graded, but that's based on my own insecurities, not because a course is strictly necessary.


Pretzel_Logic wrote:Took Barbri and passed Kentucky on the first try (as did most of my graduating class). KY doesn't release scores but I went in feeling like I was prepared, or as prepared as you possibly can be. The key is really doing MBE questions until you're blue in the face.

I've considered taking another state and Barbri worked for me but I'd have to try and negotiate them down to a lower price. Unless it's a state that doesn't require taking the MBE again, and then I'm pretty sure I could self-study for the essays for a month and pass.


Pretzel_Logic wrote:I'm glad I did Barbri despite the cost in part because a bunch of my friends did it so I actually got to see friends on an almost-daily basis in class. Particularly the first time in where I had no clue what I was doing, getting spoonfed assignments was comforting (and then I was able to figure out what was BS and what was actually helpful). More than anything making sure I did at least 30 MBE questions a day and a few practice essays daily was the best thing I did. Helps keep your brain in shape for the real deal, and then when I actually took it I didn't feel like death. (Okay, I did after the MBE, but that was day two.)

If I took a second bar, which if I don't have a job by February I probably will, I'll self-study for it. But for the first round, I have absolutely no regrets about surrendering virtually everything to study my brains out to pass. Even if that meant a little extra debt.



KAPLAN

KAPLAN THREADS
KAPLAN BAR REVIEW hangout

Teoeo wrote:Took Kaplan's course with online lectures and had no problem passing (california). I think Barbri is a waste of money.


THEMIS

THEMIS THREADS
Themis Bar Review Course... Thoughts? Opinions?
THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout. (Jul 2013... and beyond?)

kalvano wrote:Took Themis for Texas. Passed handily. I know at least three other people from my school that also used Themis and passed as well. Friends who took BarBri said it was not worth the extra money over Themis.


Bikeflip wrote:I took Themis & passed in Colorado, a UBE state. Talking to other bros who took Barbri and such, we all had similar bar prep experiences: Video lectures, hand-outs, big outlines, bar-prep provided mini-outlines, plenty of MBE, MEE, and MPT questions, decent enough essay feedback and MBE explanations, a guided study schedule, and strength and weakness info (e.g. percent correct on the MBE). I just paid a few thousand less for Themis when compared to Barbri.


helfer snooterbagon wrote:I took Themis for Illinois - passed. No idea how well I did or didn't do because Illinois does not release scores but felt very prepared. I know 20+ people that have passed with Themis, no-one who has failed. (To be fair, I don't personally know anyone who has failed the IL bar - pretty high pass rate).


JDCA2012 wrote:Took Themis and passed for CA. Can't imagine having spent 3x amount for BarBri, since I don't know what else you'd be getting for that much more money. Everyone else I know who took Themis passed from my school (not that it means they all passed who did).


SELF/OTHER

SELF-STUDY THREADS
Taking questions on how to self-study for the bar.

mr. wednesday wrote:I self studied but paid for an MBE question bank. Passed the UBE. I definitely think the Q bank was worth it, and at least getting a % right vs wrong was some feedback for my progress.


meg5096 wrote:Baroutlines.com. Passed easily, crushed MBE. $100 total for two states (plus a few bucks extra for audio lectures and extra MBE workbook)


Omerta wrote:I bought the Barbri books from least year and self-studied. Passed the GA bar by a mile (you need 275/400 to pass, I score around 350.

I strongly recommend self-studying for three reasons. First, it's literally 10% of the price. Second, your worst enemy during bar prep is all your freaked out classmates who won't shut the fuck up about the bar. I hung out at my house, studied, and played with my dog. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't stressful either. Remember being a first semester 1L and freaking out about everything? Why do that to yourself again? Third, just buying the books makes you do real work. When all you have is practice problems and outlines, it's really hard to fake study--unlike half listening to lectures while you browse the internet.

I'd still buy barbri just because they have a billion MBE questions (though multiple choice was my weakness, so I spent 98% of my time on the MBE).


blong4133 wrote:Took BarBri and passed comfortably on my first try in WV (also went to a law school that is far inferior to those most on these boards attended, for what it's worth). My comments will echo many of the others, so for the sake of not being repetitive, I'll add my two cents that does not pertain to what has already been said (scare tactics etc.). But, with the exception of a few changes, I followed study smart to a tee. (I did an additional simulated essay final that was not assigned - 3 hours and 6 essays) did a lot more essays/questions than were assigned.

The whole idea of waiting until the last week or two to start memorizing is insanity to me. I memorized whatever was covered the day I went over it. I made flash cards immediately after listening to the lectures and did not go to bed until I had them memorized. I did this for every subject, then the last couple of weeks where BarBri said to start memorizing, I already had the major areas down, and was able to hone in on some of the more detailed things.

I also did most of the essays for every subject in the essay book...as well as all of the essays with a score sheet in the essay advantage book.

I did all of the sets in the MPQII book, and just about all of them in the MPQ1 book. I would lay in bed and do at least 20 - 40 questions on the Barbri Ap before going to sleep.

I also used Kaplan's Q bank as well for additional practice, but found those questions to be not as similar to the real thing as Barbri's questions.

I purchased Lean Sheets to review the last couple of days and immediately before each exam.

I didn't feel very comfortable with PT's, simply because I had a lot of practical writing classes in school and was on moot court etc. and was in the habit of trying to spin/use ever fact to help your argument. It was extremely difficult for me to sift through the unimportant information. As such, I was having some serious trouble getting PT's done in time. I did about 8 or 9 and listened to the lecture, but still didn't feel very confident. I did read over all of the different formats, which helped me to familiarize myself with the different types of tasks. (this ended up being clutch with the Palindrome PT since it was very similar to a PT I read over the day before the test), but I finished the real things just in time, literally right as they called time during the real thing.

But overall, I'd say it was worth it. And I'm basing that on nothing more than the fact that I had all the information I needed, and that I passed. If I hadn't, I'd obviously have a different take on it.


JCougar wrote:For bar study, I just bought the Kaplan books from some dude on eBay for like $300. Everyone who shelled out $3000 for the course told me they wished they would have just gone my route. I don't think the lectures really add a lot. You have to read and memorize the material in the study books...that's the bottom line. Some people might not feel comfortable going this route, but I highly reccomend it. Everything you need to know for the bar exam is in the study books. It's basically just memorizing the black letter law. The only subjects I had trouble with were Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions (I didn't study those in school, and they're a bit complex). But for these, I just found some free lectures on YouTube that I listened to, and I was fine. Honestly, I feel like paying $3000 for a bar prep class is a rip-off capitalizing on law graduates insecurities.



MISC:
dizzzzzzz wrote:I think the best piece of information students can have at this point is knowing that the prices for the bar prep courses are absolutely negotiable. Please, please, please do not pay full price for a program.

Treat the price like that of a used car. Yes, the sticker says $3,000, but nobody actually pays that much to own the car. Bar prep courses are the same way.

In my experience, I spoke with the Barbri folks four of five times over a two week period. I ended up paying well below half of their stated price, $1,325 compared to $3,125; and I am sure others were more successful negotiators than myself. During the course of my discussions, they kept telling me how absurd I was for demanding a lower price. Don't let them dissuade you. Every bar prep company knows that students can easily pass the bar with free outlines, previous year's books, or a more inexpensive formal bar prep course. They continue to charge high prices because they can get away with it since people do not realize the price is flexible.

If you are set on an expensive program like Barbri, which, as others have pointed out is rather unnecessary, call up your representative and demand they match or lower priced program or you will walk away. After a few more phone calls, if you play it right, you will likely be surprised how little you actually end up paying.


sccjnthn wrote:
dizzzzzzz wrote:I think the best piece of information students can have at this point is knowing that the prices for the bar prep courses are absolutely negotiable. Please, please, please do not pay full price for a program.

Treat the price like that of a used car. Yes, the sticker says $3,000, but nobody actually pays that much to own the car. Bar prep courses are the same way.

In my experience, I spoke with the Barbri folks four of five times over a two week period. I ended up paying well below half of their stated price, $1,325 compared to $3,125; and I am sure others were more successful negotiators than myself. During the course of my discussions, they kept telling me how absurd I was for demanding a lower price. Don't let them dissuade you. Every bar prep company knows that students can easily pass the bar with free outlines, previous year's books, or a more inexpensive formal bar prep course. They continue to charge high prices because they can get away with it since people do not realize the price is flexible.

If you are set on an expensive program like Barbri, which, as others have pointed out is rather unnecessary, call up your representative and demand they match or lower priced program or you will walk away. After a few more phone calls, if you play it right, you will likely be surprised how little you actually end up paying.



I used this strategy to full effect. I ended up using Themis in California and passed. Apparently their price doesn't go lower than $1000. I held out on my decision until mid-May and by the end Barbri was constantly calling me up about "scholarships." Ended up with a half-price quote that was still twice Themis' price.





MISC Threads:


GENERAL BAR STUFF
Bar Review Support Group (2010)

GENERAL MBE STUFF
First MBE diagnostic for July Bar
Bar Prep - How are you guys doing on multiple choice?
Bar Exam MBE
Strong MBE = AUTO bar pass

GENERAL MEE/ESSAY STUFF
Irrelevant law on bar exam model essays

CA STATE BAR
California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread
California Bar Exam (July 2013) thread
California Bar Exam Repeaters that Passed
Cal Bar Fail -- How can anyone do this over???
Failed CA Bar...advice on tutor, adaptibar and barbri
Points to pass CA Bar Exam

NY STATE BAR
February New York bar exam
Minimum Study Time for NY Bar Passage
Bar exam NYS!!
New York Bar Exam Results: July 2012
New York Bar Exam Anxiety
New York Bar Day 1 Thread

OTHER STATE BARS
Florida Bar Exam Predictions?
Colorado Bar Exam Character Limit
Illinois Bar July 2013 Chat
DC Bar

POST BAR WAITING
bar results waiting thread (Jul 2013)
failing the bar
What happens if you fail the bar exam the first time?
Last edited by Bikeflip on Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Tentatively stickied. Hopefully this thing will take off.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Teoeo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Took Kaplan's course with online lectures and had no problem passing (california). I think Barbri is a waste of money.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Took Themis for Texas. Passed handily. I know at least three other people from my school that also used Themis and passed as well. Friends who took BarBri said it was not worth the extra money over Themis.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks for the input d00ds. Quoting your experiences in the OP.

helfer snooterbagon
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:04 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:02 am

I took Themis for Illinois - passed. No idea how well I did or didn't do because Illinois does not release scores but felt very prepared. I know 20+ people that have passed with Themis, no-one who has failed. (To be fair, I don't personally know anyone who has failed the IL bar - pretty high pass rate).

JDCA2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby JDCA2012 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Took Themis and passed for CA. Can't imagine having spent 3x amount for BarBri, since I don't know what else you'd be getting for that much more money. Everyone else I know who took Themis passed from my school (not that it means they all passed who did).

User avatar
mr. wednesday
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:15 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby mr. wednesday » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm

I self studied but paid for an MBE question bank. Passed the UBE. I definitely think the Q bank was worth it, and at least getting a % right vs wrong was some feedback for my progress.

User avatar
downinDtown
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby downinDtown » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 am

Sticky -- need for saving that $$$ next year

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby rad lulz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:17 am

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Teoeo wrote:Took Kaplan's course with online lectures and had no problem passing (california). I think Barbri is a waste of money.


Hmm, I didn't get my score in CA. Can you explain how you know you had "no problem passing?"

dizzzzzzz
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby dizzzzzzz » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm

I think the best piece of information students can have at this point is knowing that the prices for the bar prep courses are absolutely negotiable. Please, please, please do not pay full price for a program.

Treat the price like that of a used car. Yes, the sticker says $3,000, but nobody actually pays that much to own the car. Bar prep courses are the same way.

In my experience, I spoke with the Barbri folks four of five times over a two week period. I ended up paying well below half of their stated price, $1,325 compared to $3,125; and I am sure others were more successful negotiators than myself. During the course of my discussions, they kept telling me how absurd I was for demanding a lower price. Don't let them dissuade you. Every bar prep company knows that students can easily pass the bar with free outlines, previous year's books, or a more inexpensive formal bar prep course. They continue to charge high prices because they can get away with it since people do not realize the price is flexible.

If you are set on an expensive program like Barbri, which, as others have pointed out is rather unnecessary, call up your representative and demand they match or lower priced program or you will walk away. After a few more phone calls, if you play it right, you will likely be surprised how little you actually end up paying.

User avatar
iwakeboard
Posts: 8273
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:59 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby iwakeboard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 am

Passed in TN on the first attempt using Barbri. As rad said, it is designed to freak you out. The Pace bar will be your nemesis throughout the lectures but after the lectures end you'll start focusing more on the material you need to review rather than what the Pace bar says. I want to say I quit feeding the Pace bar around 60-70% if I remember correctly. I think the thing I most enjoyed about Barbri was the feedback. The website, midterm, AMP, and MBE practice really provided a lot of good feedback about what I did and didn't know. Unfortunately Tennessee doesn't provide you with your score unless you fail so I can't confidently say I'd use any other program like Rad did. However, Rad and I had scarily similar Barbri scoring throughout the summer so I'd like to say I would have passed with any other program but I don't know for sure.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22846
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:13 am

I took Barbri (UBE state) and passed easily, but probably half my class took Kaplan and passed too (no idea how easily because I don't know their scores, obviously, but it's the bar so who cares). I don't regret taking Barbri, but if I were doing it over again I'd at least take Kaplan if not Themis (I just don't know anyone IRL who used Themis, not that I think there's anything wrong with it). To me a course over self-study with various materials was worth it because you do get useful feedback and a lot of info about how the test is written/graded, but that's based on my own insecurities, not because a course is strictly necessary.

meg5096
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby meg5096 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Baroutlines.com. Passed easily, crushed MBE. $100 total for two states (plus a few bucks extra for audio lectures and extra MBE workbook)

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 am

Took Barbri and passed Kentucky on the first try (as did most of my graduating class). KY doesn't release scores but I went in feeling like I was prepared, or as prepared as you possibly can be. The key is really doing MBE questions until you're blue in the face.

I've considered taking another state and Barbri worked for me but I'd have to try and negotiate them down to a lower price. Unless it's a state that doesn't require taking the MBE again, and then I'm pretty sure I could self-study for the essays for a month and pass.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Bikeflip » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks Bros. I've updated the OP to organize reviews by the course used.

sccjnthn
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby sccjnthn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:58 pm

dizzzzzzz wrote:I think the best piece of information students can have at this point is knowing that the prices for the bar prep courses are absolutely negotiable. Please, please, please do not pay full price for a program.

Treat the price like that of a used car. Yes, the sticker says $3,000, but nobody actually pays that much to own the car. Bar prep courses are the same way.

In my experience, I spoke with the Barbri folks four of five times over a two week period. I ended up paying well below half of their stated price, $1,325 compared to $3,125; and I am sure others were more successful negotiators than myself. During the course of my discussions, they kept telling me how absurd I was for demanding a lower price. Don't let them dissuade you. Every bar prep company knows that students can easily pass the bar with free outlines, previous year's books, or a more inexpensive formal bar prep course. They continue to charge high prices because they can get away with it since people do not realize the price is flexible.

If you are set on an expensive program like Barbri, which, as others have pointed out is rather unnecessary, call up your representative and demand they match or lower priced program or you will walk away. After a few more phone calls, if you play it right, you will likely be surprised how little you actually end up paying.



I used this strategy to full effect. I ended up using Themis in California and passed. Apparently their price doesn't go lower than $1000. I held out on my decision until mid-May and by the end Barbri was constantly calling me up about "scholarships." Ended up with a half-price quote that was still twice Themis' price.

blong4133
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby blong4133 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Took BarBri and passed comfortably on my first try in WV (also went to a law school that is far inferior to those most on these boards attended, for what it's worth). My comments will echo many of the others, so for the sake of not being repetitive, I'll add my two cents that does not pertain to what has already been said (scare tactics etc.). But, with the exception of a few changes, I followed study smart to a tee. (I did an additional simulated essay final that was not assigned - 3 hours and 6 essays) did a lot more essays/questions than were assigned.

The whole idea of waiting until the last week or two to start memorizing is insanity to me. I memorized whatever was covered the day I went over it. I made flash cards immediately after listening to the lectures and did not go to bed until I had them memorized. I did this for every subject, then the last couple of weeks where BarBri said to start memorizing, I already had the major areas down, and was able to hone in on some of the more detailed things.

I also did most of the essays for every subject in the essay book...as well as all of the essays with a score sheet in the essay advantage book.

I did all of the sets in the MPQII book, and just about all of them in the MPQ1 book. I would lay in bed and do at least 20 - 40 questions on the Barbri Ap before going to sleep.

I also used Kaplan's Q bank as well for additional practice, but found those questions to be not as similar to the real thing as Barbri's questions.

I purchased Lean Sheets to review the last couple of days and immediately before each exam.

I didn't feel very comfortable with PT's, simply because I had a lot of practical writing classes in school and was on moot court etc. and was in the habit of trying to spin/use ever fact to help your argument. It was extremely difficult for me to sift through the unimportant information. As such, I was having some serious trouble getting PT's done in time. I did about 8 or 9 and listened to the lecture, but still didn't feel very confident. I did read over all of the different formats, which helped me to familiarize myself with the different types of tasks. (this ended up being clutch with the Palindrome PT since it was very similar to a PT I read over the day before the test), but I finished the real things just in time, literally right as they called time during the real thing.

But overall, I'd say it was worth it. And I'm basing that on nothing more than the fact that I had all the information I needed, and that I passed. If I hadn't, I'd obviously have a different take on it.

User avatar
Bronx Bum
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:24 pm

blong4133 wrote:Took BarBri and passed comfortably on my first try in WV (also went to a law school that is far inferior to those most on these boards attended, for what it's worth). My comments will echo many of the others, so for the sake of not being repetitive, I'll add my two cents that does not pertain to what has already been said (scare tactics etc.). But, with the exception of a few changes, I followed study smart to a tee. (I did an additional simulated essay final that was not assigned - 3 hours and 6 essays) did a lot more essays/questions than were assigned.

The whole idea of waiting until the last week or two to start memorizing is insanity to me. I memorized whatever was covered the day I went over it. I made flash cards immediately after listening to the lectures and did not go to bed until I had them memorized. I did this for every subject, then the last couple of weeks where BarBri said to start memorizing, I already had the major areas down, and was able to hone in on some of the more detailed things.

I also did most of the essays for every subject in the essay book...as well as all of the essays with a score sheet in the essay advantage book.

I did all of the sets in the MPQII book, and just about all of them in the MPQ1 book. I would lay in bed and do at least 20 - 40 questions on the Barbri Ap before going to sleep.

I also used Kaplan's Q bank as well for additional practice, but found those questions to be not as similar to the real thing as Barbri's questions.

I purchased Lean Sheets to review the last couple of days and immediately before each exam.

I didn't feel very comfortable with PT's, simply because I had a lot of practical writing classes in school and was on moot court etc. and was in the habit of trying to spin/use ever fact to help your argument. It was extremely difficult for me to sift through the unimportant information. As such, I was having some serious trouble getting PT's done in time. I did about 8 or 9 and listened to the lecture, but still didn't feel very confident. I did read over all of the different formats, which helped me to familiarize myself with the different types of tasks. (this ended up being clutch with the Palindrome PT since it was very similar to a PT I read over the day before the test), but I finished the real things just in time, literally right as they called time during the real thing.

But overall, I'd say it was worth it. And I'm basing that on nothing more than the fact that I had all the information I needed, and that I passed. If I hadn't, I'd obviously have a different take on it.



um ok

User avatar
knickfan
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby knickfan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:08 pm

For NY bar (re)takers:

Anyone interested in splitting costs for Separac? "Master Feb 2014" just released but carries a $350 price tag. To get more information about the outline and and see whats available on the subscription site as of today, check the following link: http://seperac.com/bar/order.php


If interested, PM me.

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby john1990 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Barbri is the worst name ever and sounds too much like barbie

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby get it to x » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Taking a secondary bar in Feb and wondering if Kaplan's QBank is worth the $299 investment? MBE score was right on the line last time I sat and am trying to get a sense of how the questions stack up with BarBri and the actual MBE before I pay up. Thanks for any insight.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12542
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for this thread. I'm going to self-study with some Barbri books I can get from a friend who took July 2013 in my state.

Has anyone heard anything about Barmax?

Omerta
Posts: 381
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:47 pm

Re: So ya need a bar program: Barbri, Kaplan, Themis, Self, etc

Postby Omerta » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:06 pm

I bought the Barbri books from least year and self-studied. Passed the GA bar by a mile (you need 275/400 to pass, I score around 350.

I strongly recommend self-studying for three reasons. First, it's literally 10% of the price. Second, your worst enemy during bar prep is all your freaked out classmates who won't shut the fuck up about the bar. I hung out at my house, studied, and played with my dog. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't stressful either. Remember being a first semester 1L and freaking out about everything? Why do that to yourself again? Third, just buying the books makes you do real work. When all you have is practice problems and outlines, it's really hard to fake study--unlike half listening to lectures while you browse the internet.

I'd still buy barbri just because they have a billion MBE questions (though multiple choice was my weakness, so I spent 98% of my time on the MBE).




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests