California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue May 13, 2014 10:45 am

Jay Heizenburg wrote:Has anybody else listened to this podcast with the founder of BarEssays.com, Gil Peles?:

http://ipassedmybarexam.com/2013/01/10/ ... isode-012/

If you haven't, you should give it a listen because it offers a bit of hope in spite of making (multiple) mistakes, which we all made.

It also gives some perspective on addressing the "I" in the "IRAC." I say that because I slightly and respectively disagree with the whole "Issue Statement" approach proffered above.

But whether it offers hope or perspective, there's value to be gleaned here . . . if gawd-forbid we have to take this gawd-awful exam again.

That link took me to a porn ad on my phone, so I'll check it out later

User avatar
rickter
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby rickter » Tue May 13, 2014 3:46 pm

Jay Heizenburg wrote:It also gives some perspective on addressing the "I" in the "IRAC." I say that because I slightly and respectively disagree with the whole "Issue Statement" approach proffered above.


I didn't listen to the podcast because I'm at work, but I wouldn't say that the method of essay writing which has become very popular in this thread is the only way to write a good essay, far from it.

However, to my mind the issue-focused method is a good way to break the essays down into manageable, bite-sized portions, and also makes things easier on the grader, which can't hurt.

For me, as someone who struggles with writing, especially when I am staring at a totally white space with time pressure, this method was perfect. For other people, who don't have the same challenges as I do, other essay writing methods are probably better.

All that really matters in my opinion is that you (the general you, not specifically you Jay Heizenburg) have trained and prepared yourself, using whatever method or style works for you, so that on test day you are not simply relying on your general writing skills, or hoping to 'rise to the occasion.'

There is a great moment in the mini-series and book "Generation Kill," where Rolling Stone reporter Evan Wright is dodging sniper fire. He runs for cover from the sniper "in a serpentine fashion," because at the moment when he started running, all he could think of was a line from a movie called "The-in Laws," where Peter Falk tells another character to "run in a serpentine fashion" when coming under enemy fire.

Running in a straight line as fast as possible is much more conducive to living than running in a serpentine fashion, however Wright has no combat training, and in the absence of that, his brain fell back on the most relevant training he could remember.



As one of the Marines with Wright said "if you think you will rise to the occasion, you are wrong . . . under combat stress, you fall back to your last level of competent training, you never rise to the occasion."

So, anyway, yeah: the TL;DR version is simply that the issue-focused method worked great for me. Other methods may work better for others, but all that really matters is that you habituate some process for writing the essays, because under all the pressure of test day, you will almost certainly not rise to the occasion.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 pm

That's a good point. I was taught to prepare 3 layers above the minimum competency so that come test day, I will fall back to minimum competency. Except I crashed through all the floors lmao

User avatar
rickter
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby rickter » Tue May 13, 2014 4:24 pm

a male human wrote:That's a good point. I was taught to prepare 3 layers above the minimum competency so that come test day, I will fall back to minimum competency. Except I crashed through all the floors lmao


I know EXACTLY how you feel. Months of studying and preparation for my first LSAT, and then those damn dinosaurs and that stupid display case ruined everything (judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you know what I'm talking about lol).

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Tue May 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Every day I die a little inside. -unknown-


and by -unknown- i mean -me-

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue May 13, 2014 6:07 pm

I am dying. I am dead. My body is in front of me, and I am a ghost reading the screen.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Tue May 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Hahahaha flow. You guys are hilarious. Honestly just keep me laughing through May 16th plz.
Also, that whole level of competence thing makes me realize I was never actually competent....

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue May 13, 2014 6:25 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Hahahaha flow. You guys are hilarious. Honestly just keep me laughing through May 16th plz.
Also, that whole level of competence thing makes me realize I was never actually competent....

I met my funny quota for the day. It's your turn.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Tue May 13, 2014 7:32 pm

my favorite part is that i'm pulling all nighters at work.
for non-billable pitch work.

life.is.grand.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I had 9 hours of sleep for today hmm

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby MURPH » Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 am

fl0w wrote:my favorite part is that i'm pulling all nighters at work.
for non-billable pitch work.

life.is.grand.

I worked night shift at the hospital. I drank a pot of coffee before midnight. Then the boss sent me home because there were not enough patients. So I am getting drunk by myself at home alone and watching Highlander: the series on Netflix. There can be only one.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed May 14, 2014 11:46 am

I start work Monday so I'm enjoying this last little respit from the real world. Netflix on the couch seems legit. It's supposed to be 100 degrees today. I'm all set with moving.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 pm

I actually got an email from a partner at 12.30am last night while I was still working.
And I answered it.

#lifestyle
#worklifebalance
#likeabawse

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed May 14, 2014 1:12 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:I start work Monday so I'm enjoying this last little respit from the real world. Netflix on the couch seems legit. It's supposed to be 100 degrees today. I'm all set with moving.

What kind of work

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed May 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Well I guess since I got my formal offer and accepted I can talk about it. Viacoms intellectual property and litigation dept in Santa Monica.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed May 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Nice, going in house straight away

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed May 14, 2014 1:53 pm

a male human wrote:Nice, going in house straight away


I wish I had more time to spend in house. In my actual residence. Someone actually suggested that I just sleep under my desk last night.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed May 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Oh God yeah. I enjoy my life and feeling of self worth a firm fighting for positions with other people isn't my thing. It'll be worth it for you all in the Long run Though $$$.
Right now though I'm making more just using my JD than my friend in a firm in NY haha

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed May 14, 2014 4:12 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/sad-ivy- ... st-to-debt

Are there a lot of jobs in NY? It sounds like the NY bar is easier: "96% of Columbia students pass the bar on the first time[.] Hell, 70% of Touro students pass it the first time." Maybe I should try NY, but I don't like NY, so this is a tough decision.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed May 14, 2014 4:18 pm

No there really isn't. She interned there when she was in school and knows a partner. Also, I went to school with three people that failed the NY bar.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17907
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Wed May 14, 2014 4:22 pm

a male human wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2014/05/sad-ivy-league-law-grad-says-so-many-years-of-schooling-have-led-nowhere-just-to-debt

Are there a lot of jobs in NY? It sounds like the NY bar is easier: "96% of Columbia students pass the bar on the first time[.] Hell, 70% of Touro students pass it the first time." Maybe I should try NY, but I don't like NY, so this is a tough decision.

Having taken both, the NY bar is much easier.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed May 14, 2014 5:02 pm

I'm gonna be pissed if I fail because of 1 MBE question, like the one about spousal and marital communication privilege

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm

a male human wrote:I'm gonna be pissed if I fail because of 1 MBE question, like the one about spousal and marital communication privilege


stop remembering specific things! dang! haha

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm

fl0w wrote:
a male human wrote:I'm gonna be pissed if I fail because of 1 MBE question, like the one about spousal and marital communication privilege


stop remembering specific things! dang! haha

I specifically remember the mauve dinosaur fucking me up and giving me an LSAT score of 164 (-7 on logic games? u kidin me)

Imagine going to Columbia or something instead and taking the two-day NY bar ("going thru 1 day of writing and 1 day of multiple guess was so hard, time to celebrate~!") and complaining about more worthwhile things like having to bill 50 more hours in biglaw X than your friends in biglaw Y, Z and W.

What? I don't actually get to do meaningful work? Just give me a prestigious-looking jerb so I can actually fill out the "income" section in my OkC profile!

Imagine being retarded enough not to retake the LSAT like me... "Oh, I did pretty well on the reading comprehension... I won't risk my score by taking it again!"

I could take the LSAT 4 times and still not be done with the CA bar within that time period

I will seriously have to hold myself back from applying actus reus upon my mens rea to commit battery if someone comes up to me and identifies himself/herself/zirself as an employee of the State Bar—especially one who had an involvement in creating these inhumane hypotheticals. How do you like my hypothetical fist(s) making offensive contact with your smug, shit-eating grin? I'll make your face ambiguous.

There is no statute of limitations on my wrath

Image

disclaimer: i'm gonna have to edit this post out at some point so i don't get in trouble with the state bar (no fun allowed); don't quote me plz!

jaltoon183
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby jaltoon183 » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I think I stumbled upon away to get the Cali Bar results before they release them on friday, or at least know if you've passed/failed. You login to your account on the California bar website. You then go to register for the July test.

After the first fill-in-the-blank page, you'll get an error. I got:

Your submission for this screen was not accepted and cannot be saved until you correct the following errors or omissions:
Immediate repeater: The information you provided matches the information contained in the immediate repeater file. Please respond "Yes" to the question "Were you unsuccessful...", and apply as an immediate repeater or contact the Los Angeles Office of Admissions at (213) 765-1500.
If you cannot correct the errors on this page and would like to come back to it later, you can move on using the Skip & Jump feature.

Which seems to indicate I've failed the exam (and have already been put on the 'immediate repeater file'). Only way to test that theory is to see if others get the opposite message -- which I do know exists -- which indicates they are NOT on the immediate repeater file. So, let me know what you guys get. But, I'm bracing for the worst (which sucks).

Best.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a male human, squiggle and 3 guests