California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Gamecubesupreme

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:37 pm

Is it just me or was one of the MBE's questions on consent of warrantless searches overruled by the Supreme Court decision Fernandez v. California that was handed down on the 25th, literally one day before the MBE.

Like, it was literally the exact opposite of what the right answer was. By the time we took the bar, the wrong answer on the bar (which was what I picked) was technically the right answer according to the SCOTUS decision that overruled the 2006 decision (which the question was based on).

If I fail by one point, I wonder if I have any argument here...

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:58 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Is it just me or was one of the MBE's questions on consent of warrantless searches overruled by the Supreme Court decision Fernandez v. California that was handed down on the 25th, literally one day before the MBE.

Like, it was literally the exact opposite of what the right answer was. By the time we took the bar, the wrong answer on the bar (which was what I picked) was technically the right answer according to the SCOTUS decision that overruled the 2006 decision (which the question was based on).

If you look at some of the other questions, it seems like the cases were from within the last five years also. Are we supposed to assume they are experimental? I thought MBE question turnaround was 5 years or so.

IMHIPP

Postby IMHIPP » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:Is it just me or was one of the MBE's questions on consent of warrantless searches overruled by the Supreme Court decision Fernandez v. California that was handed down on the 25th, literally one day before the MBE.

Randolph is still good law when the objecting occupant is in the house. The defendant in Fernandez had been removed from the apartment (arrested) before his wife/girlfriend gave consent.

Busyvee

Postby Busyvee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 pm

MURPH wrote:Fuck that shit. I am going in there to dominate that PT. Cal bar can suck it

How did it go?
I got dominated by the pt little bit :)

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 pm

That entire bar exam dominated me. It was more difficult than July 13 IMHO. Oh well it's over. Now I go home to drink. I'll be back on here later to see how you all did. (Make me feel better and say you did bad).

Also you had time to read about decisions handed down a day ago? What ARE you?!

1swift

Postby 1swift » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:07 pm

Felt surprisingly strong in the PT. So I have no clue how to feel about today overall cause the morning was rough.

vacations

Postby vacations » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 pm

Wow, I feel so bad right now...

I feel OK the first two days even though I had that examsoft glitch...today totally dominated me.

I feel ok during PT-B but now in hindsight, i'm having serious doubts about my efforts....and question 4 DESTROYED me.

I'm seriously feeling so down right now...

1swift

Postby 1swift » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:55 pm

vacations wrote:Wow, I feel so bad right now...

I feel OK the first two days even though I had that examsoft glitch...today totally dominated me.

I feel ok during PT-B but now in hindsight, i'm having serious doubts about my efforts....and question 4 DESTROYED me.

I'm seriously feeling so down right now...

What was 4? Their all jumbled in my head now because I was flipping between then throwing BS in each one little by little

chass

Postby chass » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Ouestion 4 was property

1swift

Postby 1swift » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 pm

chass wrote:Ouestion 4 was property

Ah yes...the Classic CA Property essay with Zoning, Subjacent support, and Mortgages

chass

Postby chass » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:02 pm

1swift wrote:

Ah yes...the Classic CA Property essay with Zoning, Subjacent support, and Mortgages

f* that Q up big time. Blanked on the PMM and BS'd the zoning.

Hoggle

Postby Hoggle » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:06 pm

1swift wrote:

Honestly, not even joking, I woke up this morning and thought "well, I bet I get two property essays, one with mortgages, and one with land/sale contracts... my other question is either going to be con law or evidence."

And that is what I got.

Max Cady

Postby Max Cady » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 pm

chass wrote:
1swift wrote:

f* that Q up big time. Blanked on the PMM and BS'd the zoning.

I felt okay about the property Q but I def got the conclusion wrong about priority on the mortgage. Also I forgot to mention anything about a reg taking which may have cost me a little. And finally I found myself going on about the buckle in the wall trying to explain how a single buckle in a wall doesn't necessarilly mean weakened foundation until I realized I was just rambling. Oh well.

Busyvee

Postby Busyvee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Just got home and got jury summons in a mail, :shock: hilarious...
I need a break from Law!!!

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:26 pm

I finished the pt about 15 seconds after they said stop writing. I really pushed my luck getting that last sentence in there but i wanted to have some sort of conclusion and not stop mid sentence. But my writing was good. I used all of the facts except the completely useless pages in the front. What the fuck was that. We had to read the conclusory complaints before geting to the facty facts.
I cited all of the cases and federal rules in a logical manner.

I think i passed but i a. Pretty sure i am not taking it again no matter what. I hate being poor and i need to work full time. I had a career before law school and if i didnt pass i am going to move along with my life. Its time to get back to work.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:30 pm

Busyvee. Jury duty is great experience if you can get it. It will really be helpful if you are in trial and is something cool to talk about in interviews

Max Cady

Postby Max Cady » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 pm

Haha. Just found this on "myths about the bar exam"

Myth:
Real Property Tests on Archaic Principles.

Truth:
The California bar exam does not test on the doctrine of Worthier Title, the Rule in Shelly’s case, riparian water rights, water courses, or subjacent lateral support. Most real property essays focus on well-known concepts, specifically landlord-tenant law, covenants, easements, and delivery of the deed. On the MBE, you may get one question on the Rule Against Perpetuities. You will not get more than that so don’t stress on it.

Bottom line:
It’s easier to see the forest when you aren’t staring at a tree.

http://one-timers.com/uncategorized/myt ... e-bar.html

Busyvee

Postby Busyvee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 pm

MURPH wrote:Busyvee. Jury duty is great experience if you can get it. It will really be helpful if you are in trial and is something cool to talk about in interviews

I don't mind actually if I can get it,and its something interesting,but I am just soooo tired of law right now :cry:
Ironic ...

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:48 pm

not to piss anyone off, but overall I think February was easier than July. Or thats cause I studied harder. That PTB was really fucking easy...probably the easiest I've seen since People v Duncan.

I also got destroyed this morning though. I did get the issues of non conforming use, variance, free exercise clause, and constructive trusts though, but my analysis sucked.

Im mainly mad about the mbe though...I don't know why they make it so hard every time.

But honestly, It all depends on the curve now...even a 61/125 passing curve would be sexy.

With that said, I'll see some of you in July.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 am

What's variance and nonconforming use

1swift

Postby 1swift » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 am

a male human wrote:What's variance and nonconforming use

no clue on variance but I picked up non conforming use in the MBE. It seemed like something taht was a real thing so I Went with it then. Then this came up and I just wrote on it. I bs'd some rules and I got a chunk of it right despite it not being in any of the outlines I Was using for prep. It's essentially why the machine shop was allowed to continue to exist when its was improper in the zone. But it cant rebuild or some other stuff blahblahblah

1swift

Postby 1swift » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:25 am

AntiHuman wrote:not to piss anyone off, but overall I think February was easier than July. Or thats cause I studied harder. That PTB was really fucking easy...probably the easiest I've seen since People v Duncan.

I also got destroyed this morning though. I did get the issues of non conforming use, variance, free exercise clause, and constructive trusts though, but my analysis sucked.

Im mainly mad about the mbe though...I don't know why they make it so hard every time.

But honestly, It all depends on the curve now...even a 61/125 passing curve would be sexy.

With that said, I'll see some of you in July.

Yea I get where you're coming from. July PT's were insane. Both of them to me. I think even the me in July would have done well on PT-B and Tuesday AM session was pretty kind as well. This morning was rough and the MBE felt harder but I can't really guage how well I did.

I have a shot...but I am prepared to finally get it done in July

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:04 am

So, guys...how do I tell my bosses at the firm that I failed. For the second time. It's getting harder to muster up the energy and false bravado to do the requisite damage control, much less attempt to convince myself third time will be the charm. I can sign up to retake this nonsense again without waiting until May 19, right?

JAYYYYSSUSS.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:31 am

I've been drinking.
I don't know what law is.
I'm going to be a stay at home dog mom.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:33 am

So I hope the century city testing center is available in July.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”