California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

AntiHuman
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby AntiHuman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 pm

This blows. I kinda just wanna move to Boston, start a new life in the "North Pole" and pass the MA bar exam.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:38 pm

2807 wrote:MBEs test your knowledge of black letter law (BLL). They are not intended to trick you, and the answers generally prove that. Sometimes a poorly worded question will feel trickier than it really was meant to be. Let those go...

If you know the BLL, you will improve greatly. So, do what you need to do to learn the BLL.
And I suspect that is to memorize via flash cards or outlines or both.

If you try to learn the BLL via "drilling" MBEs, you are double-dipping and diluting the process.
Fear that.

Go to your material and study. Then do 50 q's of random Crim/Tort/Property. Then, go over them, see what you missed, and return to your material and write out the rules...!
Repeat this horrible, long, mind-numbing process.
It will help.

Here is a tip: When you read the q, stop for a moment and ask yourself: 'What is this really testing me on?"
believe it or not, it is a very clarifying thought process that will help you eliminate bad answers, and narrow it down to 2 that you can test in your mind... and that test will be answered by --> your knowledge of BLL ! !

Also: redundant answers are both wrong, "privileges and immunities" is always wrong (ok 99%), and --answers that add facts are suspect and you must factor in their added position correctly.

HTH.

Good tip about thinking about what a question is testing me on. I used to try to spot the issue on my own, but they can only test you in so many ways. You can sometimes tell that questions were designed around particular doctrines.

I've been building on my outlines based on wrong answers since July, but it bloats up my outline. I will sometimes get a question wrong even though I had the law in my outline. I'd just forgotten. To remedy this, I tried reviewing Lean Sheets, which are super distilled but sometimes not specific enough. LS is probably better for essays, though. I'm thinking of distilling my outlines into cheat sheets that I can understand.

Nonetheless, I know I'm weak in certain areas, so I'm continuing to work on building my outlines based on MBE review. I just worry that I can feel how to apply a doctrine correctly on the MBE but not know how to articulate the rule on an essay.

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Ok, you have a good level of self-awareness. Now, just stay focused and start to chip away at the law you feel you are weak on.
List them. Look at them. Know thy enemy.

That CA bar exam (essays) will want you to list the issue, apply the rule, then the facts, and reach a conclusion consistent with that.

Are you stating the issue correctly? YOU HAVE TO STATE IT AS A LEGAL ISSUE. It is NOT a "topic" sentence of what you are about to analyze.
(ie: "whether the equity on the cabin that Bob owned prior to marriage is personal property or community property")
NOT : "The equity in the cabin" or "The Cabin" or "Personal v Community Property and equity"


The reason I say that is: Once you realize that you HAVE to state the issue correctly, then the very next sentence you will write will HAVE to be the correct and applicable LAW for that ISSUE ! Yes, you will see ! It just flows like a template. Get to that point.

So, if you are uneasy with articulating the BLL, are you comfortable (and proficient) at spotting the issues?

Do you see an issue, but then stop and wonder exactly what THAT law is that pertains to it?
It's ok, but start making THAT list. You MUST get that law down because it will drive your brain to pick the right facts in the fact pattern.

Otherwise, you will start to go off on a tangent and, get lost, and find yourself in damage control mode.


Really, this all starts with the issue spotting. You can get the law wrong and still pass... but it must be harder that way.

I assume you are well-versed in style and format too? Bold those issues, and each IRAC should only be a few lines in the "A"

Remember, in law school the "A" = analysis.
For the Bar: "A" = Application ! (much shorter, just apply only the facts that matter!) This is the tricky part ! ONLY the facts that matter !
and... mater to what?---> to that BLL you just wrote one sentence above !

Stay focused.

Now, this was my struggle, and it took a lot of practice to break old habits and be more concise.
Remember, ask yourself: 'What is this really testing me on?" (even the call of the question can be vague, so realize the obvious issue and run with it. This is ALL about fundamentals, not fancy "however, X could say.... blahblah) AVOID THAT !

I-R-A-C.

Use it. Repeat. Stay focused and short.
If you start saying... "also" or however." Then you probably shifted to another Issue ! Make a new IRAC. ! !

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:22 pm

2807 wrote:Really, this all starts with the issue spotting. You can get the law wrong and still pass... but it must be harder that way.

I assume you are well-versed in style and format too? Bold those issues, and each IRAC should only be a few lines in the "A"

Remember, in law school the "A" = analysis.
For the Bar: "A" = Application ! (much shorter, just apply only the facts that matter!) This is the tricky part ! ONLY the facts that matter !
and... mater to what?---> to that BLL you just wrote one sentence above !

Stay focused.

Now, this was my struggle, and it took a lot of practice to break old habits and be more concise.
Remember, ask yourself: 'What is this really testing me on?" (even the call of the question can be vague, so realize the obvious issue and run with it. This is ALL about fundamentals, not fancy "however, X could say.... blahblah) AVOID THAT !

I-R-A-C.

Use it. Repeat. Stay focused and short.
If you start saying... "also" or however." Then you probably shifted to another Issue ! Make a new IRAC. ! !

Thanks! I've actually been wondering about this. Are the bar essay facts supposed to be relatively unambiguous so you can just apply rather than analyze? As in, there is a conclusion you're probably supposed to get without presenting counterarguments?

As to issue spotting, I hear you shouldn't shotgun and only talk about relevant issues? Well, they said that in law school too, but apparently you were supposed to shotgun. On the bar, should I have an internal checklist to talk about every issue that could be remotely raised?

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17878
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Oh god, people are studying already?

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:57 am

a male human wrote:
2807 wrote:Really, this all starts with the issue spotting. You can get the law wrong and still pass... but it must be harder that way.

I assume you are well-versed in style and format too? Bold those issues, and each IRAC should only be a few lines in the "A"

Remember, in law school the "A" = analysis.
For the Bar: "A" = Application ! (much shorter, just apply only the facts that matter!) This is the tricky part ! ONLY the facts that matter !
and... mater to what?---> to that BLL you just wrote one sentence above !

Stay focused.

Now, this was my struggle, and it took a lot of practice to break old habits and be more concise.
Remember, ask yourself: 'What is this really testing me on?" (even the call of the question can be vague, so realize the obvious issue and run with it. This is ALL about fundamentals, not fancy "however, X could say.... blahblah) AVOID THAT !

I-R-A-C.

Use it. Repeat. Stay focused and short.
If you start saying... "also" or however." Then you probably shifted to another Issue ! Make a new IRAC. ! !

Thanks! I've actually been wondering about this. Are the bar essay facts supposed to be relatively unambiguous so you can just apply rather than analyze? As in, there is a conclusion you're probably supposed to get without presenting counterarguments?

As to issue spotting, I hear you shouldn't shotgun and only talk about relevant issues? Well, they said that in law school too, but apparently you were supposed to shotgun. On the bar, should I have an internal checklist to talk about every issue that could be remotely raised?



The facts are plain and simple. Then the question generally guides you to what they want. If it is a general question like "what claims does Bob have" then you have to use common sense and address the obvious issues from the facts. The big issues will be obvious and you will pass if you just nail them. There will be plenty of work to do on the basics, do not let your mind drive you to small-ball creative arguments. THIS IS NOT THAT TEST.

BIG, CLEAR, I-R-A-C for the big main issues. You will see them. DO them. Repeat.
DO NOT get fancy and show how you know of a way to argue some random nonsense. You will likely be way off on a tangent that takes your time and gains no points. THIS IS NOT LAW SCHOOL.

The Bar wants to see that they can let you loose on the public as a lawyer and that you SEE THE ISSUES and the FACTS that pertain to them.
That is why you can get the "law" wrong becasue the law may change, and you can look it up, but... if you do not see the issue and the facts that matter.... then the law is of little help to you, and you fail. THIS IS ABOUT ISSUE SPOTTING AND FACT GATHERING.

My bar review teacher used to bark at us (well, ok ME) all the time about this. I am really just repeating what he taught me.. and it worked!

This is about the fundamentals. They will get you through it. Stick to them.

So, to answer your question:
Do not shotgun.

Yes, you should have an "internal checklist" (or what I called a "template") in your head for all of the essay's.
All K essays will have a blurb at the top that covers UCC/Rest and those type of things.
All Con Law will address Standing, Supremacy, 14th AMD maybe, and whatever... (i can't remember, but you do !)
ALL evidence will mention prop 8
ALL Community Props: personal prop v community prop...blah blah
and so forth...
Whatever, just make a small list for each essay and know if there are lead-off blurbs you say just to get started.

Then, using the call of the question--- start those IRACS

The trick is to stay SHORT and concise. Really, these IRAC's should not be more than 5 or 6 sentences in the application part. If you went more than that, you are probably blending Issues...<--- danger.

As far as counter arguments.. This makes me nervous for you. You have to be able to write the Issue, BLL, and facts that matter, and they WILL drive a conclusion that is consistent. The "counter" would therefore NOT be consistent... So, in your "Application" you will take the position that the evidence indicates ---"X" so therefore "Y". Period.

Write Strong!! (this is exactly what my teacher used to bark at me!) I never wanted to take a position ... hahaha. He made it clear that you must, and argue the facts that way.

Hope that helps. I did the 2013 July Bar, so if you want to go over some of the essays, I will try to re-create my essay/issues and show you how I stated the application without the "counter argument" struggle. You really can cover what the counter would be by your issue statement..
"whether the equity in the property is community or personal property"... well, there is the head-to-head opposite position right there. You will not need to be redundant at the end of the application and say "so, party X will take these exact facts and argue that they indicate the opposite"

It is just understood, IF you frame that issue correctly. You will have the counter in there, but you will choose the answer/conclusion that is consistent with your facts/BLL. And it will be. There are not tricks, only fundamentals.

Hope that helps. I am rambling.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:27 am

Very helpful and what I wanted to know, thank you!

By the way, you had a bar review teacher? Did you opt not to take a commercial prep course like Barbri, Kaplan, etc.?

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:49 am

Correct. I went to a very veteran private teacher, small class of 10. It was great and I recommend it. Too late now, but I will be happy to share concepts with you. I did not like Barbri and its online stuff and all that. I wanted one person, with one voice, delivering one message.

I had to really work to break habits. That is why I can drill you the way I do.. because this is exactly what I had to learn. Lucky for me I was writing numerous essays under timed stress, and having them graded, every week, so I was getting constant feedback on style.
The STYLE is half the battle, the other half is BLL.

Who is checking your work and writing style? Remember, this is NOT law school. It should not read like a flowing law school essay.
Do not be deceived by the ridiculous long answers the Bar releases.

As you write: Stay focused on the basic fundamentals. Write Strong. Write Concise. Apply Facts-To-Law. Repeat. Stop.
No commentary, no "however..." NO, "x will say, but Y will say" No "on the other hand"... NO NO NO.

Come on back or PM if you want to nail down any specifics on an essay or whatever.

Good luck ! You can do it. You got the first-time jitters out of the way.

EZ as AsDf
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby EZ as AsDf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:26 am

zeth006 wrote:
EZ as AsDf wrote:yea man, it cost me about 50 bucks to send them back. +25. this will be my second time, shit. So 150 right there. I don't need more books, I just need to bypass the screen (on Barbri website) that requires me to "deposit" 250 and pay 25 before re-enrolling.

Is there anyway to avoid having to pay the BarBri book deposit again? Are any of you re-enrolling into the BarBri course?



I called and was told nope, you're required to buy the new books. Sell your old ones.


Barbri will have you submit a form if you can't pay the deposit. Then you can just use the mini-reviews online if anything has changed.

EZ as AsDf
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby EZ as AsDf » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:31 am

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Got the new Barbri books. What dafuq? They gave us two books/volumes of MBE practice questions for July 2013 bar, but for February, put some "workshops" and a diagnostic, but they left out all the mixed question sets normally found in vol.2!

Looks like I'll be doing questions from Emanuel's.


Honestly, if Barbri didnt work the first time, why are you doing it the second time? I don't understand how they pass me on almost off their essays and PTs and those sections are teh ones that hurt the most.


because its a "Its not you, its me" situation

User avatar
Max Cady
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby Max Cady » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Curious to know what kind of improvements other have made on the MBE.

Right now, I've just gone through a about 75-150 questions on each MBE topic. My percentage is at 67% correct. Granted, that figure includes all of the questions I've done and I feel the latter half of my MBE questions have been somewhat improved.

I'm just kind of nervous right now b/c I thought my MBE score would higher and I don't necessarilly feel like I'm steadily improving as of right now.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:12 am

Max Cady wrote:Curious to know what kind of improvements other have made on the MBE.

Right now, I've just gone through a about 75-150 questions on each MBE topic. My percentage is at 67% correct. Granted, that figure includes all of the questions I've done and I feel the latter half of my MBE questions have been somewhat improved.

I'm just kind of nervous right now b/c I thought my MBE score would higher and I don't necessarilly feel like I'm steadily improving as of right now.

About the same after up to about 65 questions (some timed, some not). I think the more we do, the more we will become familiar with the patterns. Meanwhile it's dealing with tricky answers and explanations that sometimes split hairs and sometimes don't.

I'm "ugh"ing at the essays, too. Cracking open my old essays, I noticed I barely have any issue statements. Not sure how important that's supposed to be though. Sorry about any bad flashbacks but check out my essay 1: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbtgcjgz8tlx ... d74N/1.pdf

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:15 pm

a male human wrote:
Max Cady wrote:Curious to know what kind of improvements other have made on the MBE.

Right now, I've just gone through a about 75-150 questions on each MBE topic. My percentage is at 67% correct. Granted, that figure includes all of the questions I've done and I feel the latter half of my MBE questions have been somewhat improved.

I'm just kind of nervous right now b/c I thought my MBE score would higher and I don't necessarilly feel like I'm steadily improving as of right now.

About the same after up to about 65 questions (some timed, some not). I think the more we do, the more we will become familiar with the patterns. Meanwhile it's dealing with tricky answers and explanations that sometimes split hairs and sometimes don't.

I'm "ugh"ing at the essays, too. Cracking open my old essays, I noticed I barely have any issue statements. Not sure how important that's supposed to be though. Sorry about any bad flashbacks but check out my essay 1: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbtgcjgz8tlx ... d74N/1.pdf


**edit: YES ! GOOD LORD... FRAMING THE ISSUE CORRECTLY IS EVERYTHING ! (and you are not doing it right)

Oh,I am glad to see this.
Do you have a tutor?

I can see instantly that you are NOT framing this correctly. You do not have proper issue statements, and therefore you do not follow the IRAC easy and succinctly. What you want is a pattern, with bolded LEGAL ISSUE statements that show the grader you see them.

An issue statement is NOT a "heading" or a "Title" of what you are going to talk about. It HAS to be a specific legal issue.
YOU ARE SO CLOSE ! ! !

Write it like this: "Whether the agreement to split fees at 1/3 was a violation of Tom's ethical duty of ______ to his client"
NOT: "Fee splitting and Tom" or "Fee Sharing- CA Law and Model Rules"
NO NO NO NO NO

Once you realize how to craft the ISSUE as a "whether" statement, then your obvious VERY NEXT SENTENCE (in a new paragraph) WILL HAVE TO BE THE BLL for THAT particular ISSUE.

Then, you just APPLY a few lines of facts from the question -- to the BLL you just wrote...
And then you give a CONCLUSION consistent with that analysis.

IT ALL starts with crafting that issue statement.
Scanning your essay I can see you are tripping over your FORM.

You are close. Go practice your "whether" (issue) statements.
From this point forward, you should not craft ANY essay without using the word "Whether" and BOLDING that statement.

Make a new IRAC of each issue. They can be short and sweet.
The trick is to stay focused and NOT COMBINE ISSUES.

If you start saying... "however" or "but, X may say..." Then WATCH OUT you are likely blending issues. Make a new IRAC so the grader sees this.

Also, for PR essays: Use this: "Whether Lawyer violated the duty of __________ to ___________ ?
there are a dozen or so fundamental "duty" names. Know them. They guide the entire analysis....


You really are close. You MUST listen to me ! It is ALL about the issue statements.
This entire test is "Can the student see the issues and the facts that matter.." Knowing the exact law is secondary because the law changes and you can look it up (in real life). This is about ISSUES.

SO: make your Issue BOLD and clear. And to make it easy.... ALWAYS start with the word "Whether..." it will get your brain in the right place.

Happy to help you craft a few as practice. you can PM me.

edit: And by the way, this is EXACTLY what kept tripping me up and this is what my teacher had to drill drill drill into my head.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:20 pm

About the above^

So basically, turn the bolded headings into issue statements?

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:11 pm

zeth006 wrote:About the above^

So basically, turn the bolded headings into issue statements?



Well, let's be really clear:

Assume a Community Prop essay regarding a cabin in the mountains that H owned prior to marriage.
Now, the equity and personal labor in that property is at issue at dissolution...

Do it like this:

The Mountain Cabin (this is the "TOPIC")

1. Whether the Equity in the Mountain Cabin that H owned prior to marriage is community or personal property at dissolution?

RULE(s)
APPLY facts
Conclusion.

2. Whether the Painting on the wall in the cabin is Communiuty property or personal property at dissolution?
R
A
C

3. Whether.... the next issue... is.... at dissolution?

R
A
C


You can bold the "Title" of what you are discussing (The Mountain Cabin), and then clearly number the various ISSUES (framed as legal issues ! !)

Or...

You can Title it, and then BOLD the NUMBERED, ISSUE statements. (<--- always framed as "Whether...." legal issues)

I guess I over-sold the "Bold" choice. Really, you can bold or underline or whatever. Just make it very clear that you are addressing the "Item" and then framing the "Legal Issue" next.
Of course, there are many ways to do the exam. This is just a tried and true template that works, and helps your brain see a pattern .
And, allows the grader to quickly see that you are:

1. Addressing the "TOPIC" (The Cabin)
2. Framing the ISSUES as legal issues... that actual Rules apply to...and using ONLY the given facts for that APPLICATION...and reaching a CONCLUSION consistent with that process.

Think like this : LI-RAC ("Legal Issue", Rule, Application, Conclusion)

And remember, the bar wants "A-pplication" NOT "analysis." This is not law school.
Application is much shorter. Merely APPLY the facts.
This is trickier than you think.
Keep a leash on your brilliance and just use the given facts.
That A portion does not have to be long to use the right facts.

This I-R-A-C stuff for the essays is easy to teach, and hard to learn !

Just practice. This is why YOU CANNOT learn this by "reading old essays"
You have to claw through it and learn how to absorb the info and explain it in this simple legal format.

Once the grader sees you have "Titled" the appropriate parts, and then clearly stated the legal issues as legal issues, he will skim to see if ou apply facts clearly and ....move on !

"Seduce the grader" with your Bold headings, numbered LEGAL ISSUES, and clear pattern of awesomeness.


The end.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:17 pm

For retakers, did anyone have a high MBE score? I heard a myth that if you score well on MBE (results are much faster), the essays are assumed to be of good quality and not judged as harshly to save time. Wondering if that's just a myth or has some truth to it.

jamesieee
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby jamesieee » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi all, just joining this thread now. Is anyone on here located in NYC? Could really use a study buddy to stay sane.

EZ as AsDf
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby EZ as AsDf » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey MALE HUMAN thanks for sharing your essay, what score did you get on that one?
----
I had a question for all of you, should I be making flashcards? Did most of you do that? I'm reading through the long outlines and just writing questions to help me recall the information in the outlines.

My reasoning is that if I can recall the information correctly, I'll be able to identify what the MBE questions are targeting. TBH sometimes I'd read a Con Law question and I wouldn't even know where to begin. I want to avoid that!

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

This may be a silly question, but I just took another jurisdiction's bar so I'm a bit confused: for the MBE subjects, except for evidence, are there no CA distinctions that we're supposed to know for the essay portion? I just got the barbri outlines and have been studying with those, and I've noticed that the outlines for the MBE subjects do not include CA distinctions like they did for my other jurisdiction.

Similarly, with subjects like corporations, the outlines will say things like "the majority rule is...," which confuses me because I thought it would be specifically applying CA law.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 pm

EZ as AsDf wrote:Hey MALE HUMAN thanks for sharing your essay, what score did you get on that one?
----
I had a question for all of you, should I be making flashcards? Did most of you do that? I'm reading through the long outlines and just writing questions to help me recall the information in the outlines.

My reasoning is that if I can recall the information correctly, I'll be able to identify what the MBE questions are targeting. TBH sometimes I'd read a Con Law question and I wouldn't even know where to begin. I want to avoid that!

Want to take a guess at the score? I want to see what people think of it. I'll have it in small font at the end of this post.

I don't like flashcards, but I found Law in a Flash helpful for its hypos. I have it for some of my problem areas and found civ pro especially helpful. I'm not making them myself, though, since I prefer making outlines where I can see an overview in an organized fashion. This time around I'm making two-sheeters.

ndirish2010 wrote:This may be a silly question, but I just took another jurisdiction's bar so I'm a bit confused: for the MBE subjects, except for evidence, are there no CA distinctions that we're supposed to know for the essay portion? I just got the barbri outlines and have been studying with those, and I've noticed that the outlines for the MBE subjects do not include CA distinctions like they did for my other jurisdiction.

Similarly, with subjects like corporations, the outlines will say things like "the majority rule is...," which confuses me because I thought it would be specifically applying CA law.

Yes, only evidence has CA distinctions for MBE subjects. But there are other non-MBE subjects that can test both general and CA law, like civ pro and PR. And there are CA-only subjects like community property and wills.



Essay score: 60, one of my better ones :(

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 pm

a male human wrote:For retakers, did anyone have a high MBE score? I heard a myth that if you score well on MBE (results are much faster), the essays are assumed to be of good quality and not judged as harshly to save time. Wondering if that's just a myth or has some truth to it.

Still wondering about this because my essays are bad

Also http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/19/us/lawyer ... index.html

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:40 am

So anyone have any last minute advice for how to super cram and memorize Property? I've been alright on Torts and Crim/Pro, but Property's murdering me. I'm just not synthesizing anything!!

User avatar
newyorker88
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby newyorker88 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:01 pm

EZ as AsDf wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
EZ as AsDf wrote:yea man, it cost me about 50 bucks to send them back. +25. this will be my second time, shit. So 150 right there. I don't need more books, I just need to bypass the screen (on Barbri website) that requires me to "deposit" 250 and pay 25 before re-enrolling.

Is there anyway to avoid having to pay the BarBri book deposit again? Are any of you re-enrolling into the BarBri course?



I called and was told nope, you're required to buy the new books. Sell your old ones.


Barbri will have you submit a form if you can't pay the deposit. Then you can just use the mini-reviews online if anything has changed.


I just called and told them that I couldn't afford the deposit. They told me to contact the barbri person assigned to the school I graduated from. I called that person, left a message, and the next thing I know the deposit has been waived, my new books are being shipped and I'm registered for the class. So, if you have the time, I'd try calling them.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Barbri people: What are the benefits of your course? I got my hands on old books, so I don't have the online components. Just started using the MPQ 1 book. What should I be using in the box for maximum benefit?

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:13 pm

a male human wrote:Barbri people: What are the benefits of your course? I got my hands on old books, so I don't have the online components. Just started using the MPQ 1 book. What should I be using in the box for maximum benefit?


Convisor Mini-Review. Also, the multiple choice questions aren't actual tested questions, but the essay questions are.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests