California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

vacations
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby vacations » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:12 pm

AntiHuman wrote:Nobody should be studying the day before. We have a 3 day marathon ahead of us and nothing is worse than being mentally fatigued.

With that being said, I don't know much about Civpro and trusts/wills. And that is scary because I think both will show up. Should have planned this out earlier, but now I'll have to cram these 2 subjects or hope one of them doesnt show up Tuesday and then study tues/wed night which would be horrible.

crim law/pro
evidence
real prop
agency/partnership/PR
trusts
civpro



I'm kinda screwed myself when it comes to Civ Pro but I must say that trying to be productive on tuesday and wednesday night is near impossible =/

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 pm

There's still the possibility that your problem subject won't appear on Tuesday, so you'll have a couple days for some present recollection refreshing

kershawfan
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby kershawfan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 pm

kershawfan wrote:2 quick questions:

2. Is there a guide to formatting an answer in SoftTest? I don't understand how to create different columns for something like a response to a motion for summary judgment or a caption for a complaint if one is required on a PT. I guess plan B is grabbing a blue book and a pencil. Yikes.


I've been stressing over my question (above) with regard to a response to a motion for summary judgment. Did you guys who took BarBri go over the formatting for one? I've looked through the questions/answers from the last 8 exams, and it hasn't come up during that span, so I'm hoping they've moved away from that type of format given the limitations of SoftTest. Any input would be appreciated.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:39 am

kershawfan wrote:
kershawfan wrote:2 quick questions:

2. Is there a guide to formatting an answer in SoftTest? I don't understand how to create different columns for something like a response to a motion for summary judgment or a caption for a complaint if one is required on a PT. I guess plan B is grabbing a blue book and a pencil. Yikes.


I've been stressing over my question (above) with regard to a response to a motion for summary judgment. Did you guys who took BarBri go over the formatting for one? I've looked through the questions/answers from the last 8 exams, and it hasn't come up during that span, so I'm hoping they've moved away from that type of format given the limitations of SoftTest. Any input would be appreciated.

I think I remember someone responding to your question pretty recently...

User avatar
2807
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51 am

a male human wrote:
kershawfan wrote:
kershawfan wrote:2 quick questions:

2. Is there a guide to formatting an answer in SoftTest? I don't understand how to create different columns for something like a response to a motion for summary judgment or a caption for a complaint if one is required on a PT. I guess plan B is grabbing a blue book and a pencil. Yikes.


I've been stressing over my question (above) with regard to a response to a motion for summary judgment. Did you guys who took BarBri go over the formatting for one? I've looked through the questions/answers from the last 8 exams, and it hasn't come up during that span, so I'm hoping they've moved away from that type of format given the limitations of SoftTest. Any input would be appreciated.

I think I remember someone responding to your question pretty recently...


For the typical first page of a motion: Just wing it with the space bar and the tab and these ) ) ) )
Just show them you understand that the P and D, date, purpose/title, and so forth go on there.

I do not know what you need columns for on a MSJ response?

Just make the first page stuff, and get to work on the analysis/headings and so forth..

km23
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:35 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby km23 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 am

Hi again: I just thought of another tip I thought I should share. For PR questions, when you cannot remember a certain rule or issue, just use common sense. Is this something a lawyer should be doing, etc.? Use your morals. Chances are you will touch on some PR rule, but you just said it in your own words. (I think this tip came from the Barbri PR essay lecture or regular lecture, but I thought it was great. I even used it twice in July because I couldn't remember exact rules for a couple things, so I just said certain actions were wrong because [insert common sense].) I'm not saying it got me points for sure (I didn't get my scores back), but it made sense to me. It's better to guess than to ignore an issue :)

Get some rest tonight!

kershawfan
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby kershawfan » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:08 am

2807 wrote:
a male human wrote:
kershawfan wrote:
kershawfan wrote:2 quick questions:

2. Is there a guide to formatting an answer in SoftTest? I don't understand how to create different columns for something like a response to a motion for summary judgment or a caption for a complaint if one is required on a PT. I guess plan B is grabbing a blue book and a pencil. Yikes.


I've been stressing over my question (above) with regard to a response to a motion for summary judgment. Did you guys who took BarBri go over the formatting for one? I've looked through the questions/answers from the last 8 exams, and it hasn't come up during that span, so I'm hoping they've moved away from that type of format given the limitations of SoftTest. Any input would be appreciated.

I think I remember someone responding to your question pretty recently...


For the typical first page of a motion: Just wing it with the space bar and the tab and these ) ) ) )
Just show them you understand that the P and D, date, purpose/title, and so forth go on there.

I do not know what you need columns for on a MSJ response?

Just make the first page stuff, and get to work on the analysis/headings and so forth..


Thank you. The columns I am referring to can be seen in the sample answers from PTA from February 2002

http://calweasel.com/sites/default/file ... %20ptb.pdf

While I guess tabbing will work, inserting tabs to format the 2 columns scares me, especially if I need to go back and add or delete something from one of the columns. I'm spending too much time worrying about this right now, but I would hate to be faced with something like this on Tuesday and not know how to do it quickly.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 am

Personally I wouldn't even do the formatting. I'd just write...

PARTY A V. PARTY B
MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT IN SUPPORT OF _____

Then dive right in. Is that a bad idea?

User avatar
patogordo
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:33 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby patogordo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am

a male human wrote:Personally I wouldn't even do the formatting. I'd just write...

PARTY A V. PARTY B
MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT IN SUPPORT OF _____

Then dive right in. Is that a bad idea?

i think he's talking about:

Image

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:47 am

patogordo wrote:
a male human wrote:Personally I wouldn't even do the formatting. I'd just write...

PARTY A V. PARTY B
MOTION FOR SUMMARY JUDGMENT IN SUPPORT OF _____

Then dive right in. Is that a bad idea?

i think he's talking about:

Image

Oh, I see.

I saw one PT whose instructions asked for something similar with a format like so:

    Fact #1:
    Reason for Dispute:

Seems good to me unless the instructions ask for columns for some reason.

I hope we don't have to go looking for disputed/undisputed facts, though.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

PR Questions can basically all be formatted using the pneumonic "Clients Love Fierce Counsel" Duties of Confidentiality, Loyalty, Fiduciary duties, and Competence. Then just pull the issues from the fact pattern and plug. I agree if you can't remember the specific rule, just make up a rule using common sense. Also "Courts Feel Differently". Candor/Truthfulness, Fairness, Diligence/Dignity. I think if you just mention all the duties and some rules, you'll be fine.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17901
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Can we bring laptop cases?

vacations
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby vacations » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

El Pollito wrote:Can we bring laptop cases?


dunno about other test sites (but i'm assuming its the same throughout) but in Ontario u have to leave it outside of the test room in the hallway where nobody will watch over your stuff.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Anyone remember how long lunch time was last time? IIRC it was close to 90 minutes or so.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:44 pm

a male human wrote:Anyone remember how long lunch time was last time? IIRC it was close to 90 minutes or so.

they'll tell you. and it might vary based on how the day is going timing wise. but yeah close to that.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:46 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:PR Questions can basically all be formatted using the pneumonic "Clients Love Fierce Counsel" Duties of Confidentiality, Loyalty, Fiduciary duties, and Competence. Then just pull the issues from the fact pattern and plug. I agree if you can't remember the specific rule, just make up a rule using common sense. Also "Courts Feel Differently". Candor/Truthfulness, Fairness, Diligence/Dignity. I think if you just mention all the duties and some rules, you'll be fine.


does your mnemonic have pneumonia? srsly english and the weird words we have
I kill myself... lmao

Also.. that's all i'm doing right now is making sure i remember wtf all my stupid-ass mnemonics mean. /wrists

AntiHuman
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby AntiHuman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 pm

I am praying for no trusts/wills on tuesday, so I can study them tues and wed night if I need to. Dont remember any rules at all. But worse case scenario I just get a 50-55 and move on.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:15 pm

AntiHuman wrote:I am praying for no trusts/wills on tuesday, so I can study them tues and wed night if I need to. Dont remember any rules at all. But worse case scenario I just get a 50-55 and move on.


i mean... yeah that is the worst case. but you could at least get the rules for validity down for each if you truly don't remember anything. i feel like if you have that much something will just come to you in the moment of need.

rules of requirement? (lame harry potter reference)

vacations
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby vacations » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:30 pm

I think you have to do whatever it takes to avoid a 50-55 because you would have to make up so much ground somewhere else just to compensate.

tessellating
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby tessellating » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:03 am

fl0w wrote:
a male human wrote:Anyone remember how long lunch time was last time? IIRC it was close to 90 minutes or so.

they'll tell you. and it might vary based on how the day is going timing wise. but yeah close to that.


I took it in Pasadena for the July exam, and for day 1, lunch was no more than 60 min. Stash some snacks in the car if you can, just in case!

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:43 am

Worried that PTs will be ridiculous again this time...but on the other hand maybe not since they might want that stuff to go to the masses next July :P

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

AntiHuman wrote:rules of requirement? (lame harry potter reference)


I think you mean amazing Harry Potter reference.

fl0w wrote:does your mnemonic have pneumonia? srsly english and the weird words we have
I kill myself... lmao


Fresh. My brain isn't pworking right mnow.
I'm reviewing flash cards. Gonna re-read Civ Pro outline and Wills and Trusts outline. I love how people are saying they'll take a 50-55 and move on. I wasn't kidding when I said I got 55-65s on all of my essays and PTs and if it was graded on just essays and PTs I would have passed. Someone mentioned that's because it was a ridiculously difficult bar and the curve was insane?

SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS/SPELLING ERRORS. I'M TAKING THE BAR EXAM TOMORROW. :P

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:44 am

a male human wrote:Worried that PTs will be ridiculous again this time...but on the other hand maybe not since they might want that stuff to go to the masses next July :P


Ridiculous or not, I just keep telling myself that we have the skills we need to get through them. Just have to take our time…and try not to stab our eyes out with our pre-sharpened pencils.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1691
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 am

All the printed copies of the essays have arrived at the test centers by now, probably. So close yet so far from being able to peek.

I also cannot remember these rules. I try to recite them from memory and say ridiculously wrong things that aren't even close. Ahh I shouldn't have been such a rowdy kid and fallen on my head so many times.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 am

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:rules of requirement? (lame harry potter reference)


I think you mean amazing Harry Potter reference.

fl0w wrote:does your mnemonic have pneumonia? srsly english and the weird words we have
I kill myself... lmao


Fresh. My brain isn't pworking right mnow.
I'm reviewing flash cards. Gonna re-read Civ Pro outline and Wills and Trusts outline. I love how people are saying they'll take a 50-55 and move on. I wasn't kidding when I said I got 55-65s on all of my essays and PTs and if it was graded on just essays and PTs I would have passed. Someone mentioned that's because it was a ridiculously difficult bar and the curve was insane?

SORRY FOR ANY TYPOS/SPELLING ERRORS. I'M TAKING THE BAR EXAM TOMORROW. :P


the answer is like 62/63 on all essays + 125 MBE = passville. Like those are all the "passing" scores.

At this point the rules are in your brainz somewhere. Just grab a pillow, scream into it, then hug it ever so gently and drift off to sleep.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests