California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Good Luck folks !
Stay focused.
Breathe.

Your brain works on water and air.
Use both.

After the test: I could not talk about it, read about it, or consider facts/issues for a few weeks.
That anxiety will pass, and you will recover.

Last tips:

1. Have a plan for lunch. Do not try to solve that on game day.
I had a fridge requested for my room, and brought bread/meat/cheese for sandwiches and coffee in my room.
Also, a large pizza at night makes a good lunch the next day..

2. GET A LATE CHECKOUT for the last day !
You do NOT want to check out the morning of day 3 if you don't have to.
(My hotel made me PAY for an extra day... ugh. But it was worth it)
Also-- allows you to go to your room for lunch again too.

3. Avoid "test-talk" with folks.
All of the banter, issue spotting discussions, and PREDICTIONS are nonsense.
Avoid the anxiety factories.
Nothing good comes from that stuff.
Run silent--Run deep.

You all can do this. You know more than you think.
You are serious enough to be here on this thread and get some good support.
Relax.

Take time to craft your work.
Do not just start writing and freaking out-- only to be in damage control the entire time as your brain tries to catch up with your fingertips

When you read the Essays and the MCs:
Ask yourself over and over, issue by issue, Q by Q:
...."What are they testing me on here?"
That focus will bring clarity.
They ARE testing you on the BIG FUNDAMENTALS
Start there.
Lay it on them.

The winning Template of Success:

TOPIC
Legal Issue
Rule
Here, FACT
also, FACT
additionally, FACT
Therefore, because...Conclusion

Don't combine legal issues-- and call it analysis!
Make a new IRAC.

Ok, go Go GO.

Stay focused.
Dont panic.
Plenty of room for mistakes/confusion.
You can still pass.
Let them go...
Persevere

ONWARD !

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Can we bring our phones? NY was insane about that.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Chick - NO PHONES. If you bring it into the test room by accident, they make you put them in a box that they'll hold on to until the end of the testing period. Why would you want to bring it anyways? Your watch can't be digital either.

km23

Postby km23 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck. One tip I got that really helped me was this: don't be afraid to plagiarize on the CA Bar. In other words, for the analysis portions of essays and PTs, repeat the facts exactly as they are like it's nobody's business. Don't waste precious time getting crafty and thinking of your own way to phrase facts. The Bar exam is the one time copying is truly okay--in fact, it helps you more than hurts you.

Speaking of analysis, another great tip I got was this: for essays (NOT for PTs), make sure you have used every single little fact in your answer. Every fact is there for a reason. What I would do was check off each fact (there aren't that many on these day's essays) on the template each time I used the fact. Repeat facts in analysis. Just because you talked about something under one issue doesn't mean those facts don't apply in another. The facts are what will get you the points. I've seen plenty of answers with awesome headings and rule statements but not enough facts used to their advantage; thus, such answers received a failing grade.

I know you guys have heard all of the above, but I just wanted to remind you. You all know the information. You really do even if you feel like you don't. Trust in yourself. Take your time to get organized.

In July, I completely blanked on the CP essay. Like, I couldn't write past the "CA is a CP state" parts. After 4 minutes of panic and wasted time, I got up, went to the bathroom, and came back (all of which took under two minutes) and the answer came to me. Don't listen to the people who say "oh you CANNOT walk around or go to the bathroom during the bar and pass." What's better, clearing your head or wasting the time it takes to do that by clear and utter panic? You don't even have to get up from your seat to clear your head. During the Wills essay (when I also initially blanked), I sat in my chair, closed my eyes, calmly breathed, and after that literally 40-second meditation, the issues came to me.

Calm, cool, collective. You GOT this! You will pass this. You will get sworn in as a CA attorney in May 2014.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 pm

If anyone out there is still doing BarBri questions, Half Day in the back of MPQ2 seemed unusually difficult and the goal of 60/100 struck me as unrealistic. If you are looking for a confidence booster, that's not the test you want to take, IMO.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:02 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Chick - NO PHONES. If you bring it into the test room by accident, they make you put them in a box that they'll hold on to until the end of the testing period. Why would you want to bring it anyways? Your watch can't be digital either.

:lol:

So I have something to do during the break. I guess I could explore the wonders of Sacramento instead.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:31 pm

You can take it with you to the building, but you have to leave it outside in your bag or something. You just can't take into the testing room with you. I felt mine off in my purse outside the testing center in century city in July and it was fine.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Good luck everyone. I'm rooting for y'all. Especially those that were in the July thread.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm

km23 wrote:Hi everyone,

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck. One tip I got that really helped me was this: don't be afraid to plagiarize on the CA Bar. In other words, for the analysis portions of essays and PTs, repeat the facts exactly as they are like it's nobody's business. Don't waste precious time getting crafty and thinking of your own way to phrase facts. The Bar exam is the one time copying is truly okay--in fact, it helps you more than hurts you.

Speaking of analysis, another great tip I got was this: for essays (NOT for PTs), make sure you have used every single little fact in your answer. Every fact is there for a reason. What I would do was check off each fact (there aren't that many on these day's essays) on the template each time I used the fact. Repeat facts in analysis. Just because you talked about something under one issue doesn't mean those facts don't apply in another. The facts are what will get you the points. I've seen plenty of answers with awesome headings and rule statements but not enough facts used to their advantage; thus, such answers received a failing grade.

I know you guys have heard all of the above, but I just wanted to remind you. You all know the information. You really do even if you feel like you don't. Trust in yourself. Take your time to get organized.

In July, I completely blanked on the CP essay. Like, I couldn't write past the "CA is a CP state" parts. After 4 minutes of panic and wasted time, I got up, went to the bathroom, and came back (all of which took under two minutes) and the answer came to me. Don't listen to the people who say "oh you CANNOT walk around or go to the bathroom during the bar and pass." What's better, clearing your head or wasting the time it takes to do that by clear and utter panic? You don't even have to get up from your seat to clear your head. During the Wills essay (when I also initially blanked), I sat in my chair, closed my eyes, calmly breathed, and after that literally 40-second meditation, the issues came to me.

Calm, cool, collective. You GOT this! You will pass this. You will get sworn in as a CA attorney in May 2014.

Agreed with the plagiarizing part. I tend to rephrase everything or pick out small parts of the facts because it doesn't feel right just copying it, but that's what the grader wants to see. It will be easier on the grader to know what you're talking about. In fact, hit the double quote key and ram everything (relevant) in there. Close double quote.

Oh, was wondering this in bed last night... I haven't done an objective PT in a while. Are headings in objective and persuasive memos (or opening/closing arguments) similar? For example:

Objective: "P is likely liable for negligence"
Persuasive: "P is liable for negligence"

And if the PT asks for a numerated list of undisputed facts, is there an easy way to tell which ones to include? Because probably dozens of facts would qualify.

Max Cady

Postby Max Cady » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Can we bring water bottles in the test center?

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes, as long as they're clear. I think.
If you're about to walk in with something and you're second guessing it - ask someone. Better than the alternative.

Postby 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Max Cady wrote:Can we bring water bottles in the test center?

Absolutely not when I took at Century City in July 2013.

But there are tables with large water tanks and cups for everyone in the lobby area.

Max Cady

Postby Max Cady » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Thanks. I'll prob just hold off and rehydrate during the break.

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:06 pm

For reference, the list of permitted items to bring into the examination room:

During the written sessions you may bring only the following items into the examination room without prior approval; all items are subject to inspection: pencils and pens; silent analog watches, non-digital timers and clocks measuring 4" x 4" or smaller; rulers; paper clips; highlighters (must not be used on answers); inhalers; disability-related items that have been approved through the testing accommodations petition process; eyeglasses (no case); ear plugs or plastic material normally associated with the sport of swimming (must not be connected); feminine hygiene items; medicine; diabetes-related equipment (not food/drinks); Government-issued ID; cash, credit/debit cards that might be needed for the lunch break (you are not allowed to bring a wallet into the test center); and keys. You may also bring: the admittance ticket with no writing on it; back support; a pillow without a case; one bookstand; one foot rest; splints and braces; crutches; wheelchairs; casts; hearing aids; TENS units; and, the following laptop accessories: separate keyboard, mouse (wired or wireless), laptop riser/stand no higher than 4” and solid color mouse pad with no writing on it.

During the MBE sessions, you may bring only the following items into the examination room without prior approval; all items are subject to inspection: admittance ticket with no writing on it; pencils; silent analog watches, non-digital timers and clocks measuring 4" x 4" or smaller; inhalers; splints and braces; crutches; wheelchairs; casts; hearing aids; TENS units; disability- related items that have been approved through the testing accommodations petition process; eyeglasses (no case); ear plugs or plastic material normally associated with the sport of swimming (must not be connected); feminine hygiene items; medicine; diabetes-related equipment (not food/drinks); Government-issued ID; cash, credit/debit cards; and keys. Pencil sharpeners and separate erasers will not be allowed into the examination room. Applicants should bring several sharpened pencils.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:42 pm

a male human wrote:Are headings in objective and persuasive memos (or opening/closing arguments) similar? For example:

And if the PT asks for a numerated list of undisputed facts, is there an easy way to tell which ones to include? Because probably dozens of facts would qualify.

Any quick tips on these? :)

And why is PR so hard (rhetorical Q)

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:45 pm

PR isnt that bad. Just issue spot using the facts. Civpro is really scaring me. The only thing I know is jurisdiction and venue.

I still have civpro, PR, and trusts/wills left to review -__- Prolly will have to make Monday a full study day from 8AM-6PM. I wish it didnt have to come to this haha.

Postby 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:58 pm

a male human wrote:
a male human wrote:Are headings in objective and persuasive memos (or opening/closing arguments) similar? For example:

I think your examples are two versions of "persuasive"

Objective:
1. Whether there is negligence
2. Whether "fact, fact, fact" establishes the elements of a negligence claim by X
3. Whether there is a Duty by X to Z so that breach of it is negligence

Quick tip for PR:

use this template: "Whether lawyer had a duty of _________ to __________

or

"whether Lawyer breached the duty of ___________ when he _____________.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 pm

My computer crashed yesterday. (pretty much the worst thing I could imagine). I needed a new hard drive. A friend (and lifesaver) who fixes computers for a living installed a new hard drive for me. He transferred Examsoft's SoftTest app. But when I click the icon nothing happens. Does anything happen when you click the icon? The last time I checked was when I installed it and submitted the mock exam two weeks ago.

Do I have to reinstall it?

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:23 pm

MURPH wrote:My computer crashed yesterday. (pretty much the worst thing I could imagine). I needed a new hard drive. A friend (and lifesaver) who fixes computers for a living installed a new hard drive for me. He transferred Examsoft's SoftTest app. But when I click the icon nothing happens. Does anything happen when you click the icon? The last time I checked was when I installed it and submitted the mock exam two weeks ago.

This is what the CA Bar website says-- see if these instructions help, otherwise, call ExamSoft in the morning. I imagine this happens to a good amount of test takers. (http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... pBul_R.pdf):

Laptop Computer Problems After Certification. If after completing the certification process
with ExamSoft, you experience problems with your laptop computer that would prohibit you from
using it for the examination, i.e., it becomes inoperable, you may ask to have another computer
certified and to download additional exam files through the “Re-Download SofTest” link after you
log in with your Applicant ID and password at http://www.examsoft.com/calbar. Authorization
will not be granted for the purpose of having a backup computer available in the event a
computer malfunctions during the examination.

Postby 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:27 pm

MURPH wrote:My computer crashed yesterday. (pretty much the worst thing I could imagine). I needed a new hard drive. A friend (and lifesaver) who fixes computers for a living installed a new hard drive for me. He transferred Examsoft's SoftTest app. But when I click the icon nothing happens. Does anything happen when you click the icon? The last time I checked was when I installed it and submitted the mock exam two weeks ago.

Why don't you first try to go re-install it from scratch?
Then, if no progress: Contact Examsoft ASAP for help.

Sadly, you may need to prepare to handwrite.

DONT PANIC.
You can do it.

EDIT:
Just saw above post.
Good Luck ! Hope you can re-do it

Wow.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 pm

thanks. I figured it out. My computer didn't recognize the security thingy. I had to open it unsafely. Press control on the keyboard while opening. now it works. I just took a practice test.

Postby 2807 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 pm

MURPH wrote:thanks. I figured it out. My computer didn't recognize the security thingy. I had to open it unsafely. Press control on the keyboard while opening. now it works. I just took a practice test.

Uh, Murph... you just gave me a little heart attack for you.

Glad it worked out.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:49 pm

2807 wrote:
a male human wrote:

I think your examples are two versions of "persuasive"

Objective:
1. Whether there is negligence
2. Whether "fact, fact, fact" establishes the elements of a negligence claim by X
3. Whether there is a Duty by X to Z so that breach of it is negligence

Quick tip for PR:

use this template: "Whether lawyer had a duty of _________ to __________

or

"whether Lawyer breached the duty of ___________ when he _____________.

Thanks for both tips!

AntiHuman wrote:PR isnt that bad. Just issue spot using the facts. Civpro is really scaring me. The only thing I know is jurisdiction and venue.

I still have civpro, PR, and trusts/wills left to review -__- Prolly will have to make Monday a full study day from 8AM-6PM. I wish it didnt have to come to this haha.

I feel like PR has a lot of issues and distinctions to know about. But I'm getting the hang of it, I think.

I'm gonna watch Glengarry Glen Ross in my hotel tomorrow after a review session. First time watching it. Maybe it will give me some confidence. Hopefully the free WiFi there works so I can browse YouTube and do a final check-in here too.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:53 pm

Dear Jesus,
Please don't give us an evidence essay because I just screwed the pooch on a practice one.
Sincerely,
Courtney.

a male human wrote:I still have civpro, PR, and trusts/wills left to review -__- Prolly will have to make Monday a full study day from 8AM-6PM. I wish it didnt have to come to this haha.

I'm with you. I'll be studying all morning, going to the hotel in the afternoon, and probably studying more at night even though we're not supposed to. I just feel like I need to cram this crap in as much as I can. I mean honestly, what is the big deal about studying the night before?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:57 pm

Nobody should be studying the day before. We have a 3 day marathon ahead of us and nothing is worse than being mentally fatigued.

With that being said, I don't know much about Civpro and trusts/wills. And that is scary because I think both will show up. Should have planned this out earlier, but now I'll have to cram these 2 subjects or hope one of them doesnt show up Tuesday and then study tues/wed night which would be horrible.

crim law/pro
evidence
real prop
agency/partnership/PR
trusts
civpro

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”