California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm

AntiHuman wrote:bizass and civpro are such garbage...I'll just take the 50-55..smh

A good strategy is to master the PTs and MBE...gives you a cushion for the essay section

how many PTs did you guys do or what was our preparation for it?


an alternative good strategy is to rock the essays and then you can get a 100 on the MBE.
Or rock TWO essays (75-80) and you have a cushion for the rest of the essays and MBE

e.g. get 75 and 80 on two essays. you can get 55s on rest and 122 on MBE
e.g. get 75 on both PTs and you can get 55 on all essays and 100 on the MBE
e.g. get 75 on one PT and 75 on one essay 55s on rest and get 115 on MBE.
(i have a spreadsheet that calculates all of this stuff, not just pulling this out of my ass)

Or just rock everything.

There are a ton of "strategies" but the bottom line is you have to be ready to perform well on all of it. Think about people that thought they had a handle on PTs and then the shit show of Summer 2013 happened. Mastering MBEs is a good strat for sure, but so is mastering anything else.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:05 pm

fl0w wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:Think about people that thought they had a handle on PTs and then the shit show of Summer 2013 happened.


This made me actually laugh out loud. I went into Summer 2013 planning on winging the PT's to be honest with you, and I did OK….60-65? I think? I don't even remember. But def not as bad as I had feared.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:10 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:
fl0w wrote:
AntiHuman wrote:Think about people that thought they had a handle on PTs and then the shit show of Summer 2013 happened.


This made me actually laugh out loud. I went into Summer 2013 planning on winging the PT's to be honest with you, and I did OK….60-65? I think? I don't even remember. But def not as bad as I had feared.


i took the same approach and got 65s. had i actually created a plan of attack and gotten 70 on ONE of them i would have passed the damn exam despite my horrible performance on all of the other essays.

I guess this is why I keep saying I don't like the idea of people just "skipping" topics. You never know which one you'll be able to CRUSH if you just prepare for it.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:16 pm

fl0w wrote:Think about people that thought they had a handle on PTs and then the shit show of Summer 2013 happened.

I don't have to imagine.

Oh I got some Essence C (Safeway brand Emergen-C), and I don't know how long it's supposed to take before I feel different.

Found something called "binaural beats" that are supposed to sync your brain waves or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4F8xkNFpAs (15 Hz, turn down volume first)

•14 Hz - Awakeness, alert. Concentration on tasks, Focusing, vitality.
•16 Hz - Bottom of hearing range. Releases oxygen/calcium into cells
•12 - 15 Hz - Relaxed focus, improved attentive abilities
•13 - 27 Hz - Promotes focused attention toward external stimuli
•13 - 30 Hz - Problem solving, conscious thinking
•18-24 Hz — Euphoria, can result in headaches, anxietyBeta brainwaves are considered "fast brain wave" activity.
Last edited by a male human on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vacations
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby vacations » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 pm

a male human wrote:
fl0w wrote:Think about people that thought they had a handle on PTs and then the shit show of Summer 2013 happened.

I don't have to imagine.



Amen.

vacations
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby vacations » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:22 pm

I will say though that the only "disappointment" I have for myself this second time around studying for the exam is the lack of practice on PTs.

I hateeeee the PTs. Got slammed summer 2013.

I can honestly say I paid my dues in studying for the MBEs and essays this time around but I just never brought myself to allocate much time to "learning" or practicing those damn PTs. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me... I've just always been more worried and focused on MBEs I guess...

anybody else on same boat?

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 pm

vacations wrote:anybody else on same boat?


yes

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:00 pm

I forced myself to do a few PTs, I think 5 of them. Yesterday was my last one. 15 hours of prep that could go down the drain if they bring out another set of crazy PTs. Hopefully that's enough to handle what's coming.

I pulled out so much hair the past month that the right side of my head has a hole now. You can see the scalp if you lift up my hair. I was gonna get a haircut after the bar, but I'm too embarrassed to go now. I also keep growing white hair. On one hand, I want to keep them on my head for a veteran, salt-and-pepper look. On the other hand, they are scraggly and tough and fun to play with once detached.

I'm a weirdo, but who isn't when they are a 4L

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:10 pm

I've put a fair amount of time into the PTs. I started by re-doing that first PT from summer 2013. The second time i did it I finished a few minutes late and my shit looked just as sloppy if not worse than the summer. So I did it again. The third time I was careful to be much more organized.

I devised this strategy for them and it seems to be working based on my last three PTs.
1. I start off writing the IRAC outline I use for the essays. "Issue # :Whether... The rule under ___ law is ... Here, ..... Therefore," with spaces between lines and the Whether statement bolded.
2. Then I copy and paste this about 8 or nine times.
3. Then I start reading and typing up my heading or coversheet depending on the assignment.
4. As I read I create paragraphs. Instead of headings or an outline, I write citations (See Transcript of Jane Doe) then I write the relevant facts.
5. Same with the Statutes. After three years of law school, I finally learned how to make that little Section symbol §§§§§§. I am so excited. That is sure to raise my score. (See CEC § 601: Authentication of Public Records) - then I write the law.
6. Same with the cases. I write (See Jones v Smith CSC, 2001) then I write the relevant rules and if necessary the relevant facts. I make sure to do this for every case especially the cases cited within other cases. Also, if there is a footnote, I make sure that is included.

This usually takes between 110 and 130 minutes but at this point most of the work is done.
7. I reread the instructions - the one from my hypothetical supervisor, not the standard one from the bar exam. I copy whatever is the call of the question in all caps and basically turn this into my outline.
8. I cut and past my IRAC formula under the all caps headings/call of the questions.
9. create the "Whether" statements on things that seem like important issues.
10. Cut the statutes or case law and paste them into the Rule part of my IRAC with the citation.
11. Cut the facts. Write the elements from my rule statement after the word "Here" in my IRAC formula, followed by the word "because," and paste the facts with proper citation after the word "because" in my IRAC outline.
12. Fill in the "Therefore," section with an answer to my "Whether" statement based on whether the elements are met or not.
13. End each call of the question (all caps) section with a bolded and underlined conclusion.


When I do this, exactly in this order, I finish with enough spare time to go through and underline, bold or italics words, to edit for spacing and to make it look professional. Having decent, but not bluebook quality, citations at my fingertips while I am pasting really adds a nice touch. The first page and last page are the ones I edit most heavily so that it looks like I started strong and finished strong because I am not sure they will read the middle part.


Hey, A male Human are you a veteran too? Law school turned my hair a little grey.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:26 pm

I'm not literally a veteran (unless you count a second-time bar taker as one), but I feel like having a mature, rugged-type hairstyle would get me more credibility. My face looks pretty young.

I don't know how you could take the same PT 3 times, especially In re SIA. Hope you didn't re-read the facts and library again.

If anyone else wants to use section symbols, generally hold alt + 0167 numpad in Windows. I have a macro (assigned to ctrl + shift + S) for "§ " in Word. I think SoftTest might have its own shortcut (ctrl + S? Check the side bar). Don't forget to put a space after the symbol and not use it at the beginning of a sentence.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17907
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:42 pm

vacations wrote:I will say though that the only "disappointment" I have for myself this second time around studying for the exam is the lack of practice on PTs.

I hateeeee the PTs. Got slammed summer 2013.

I can honestly say I paid my dues in studying for the MBEs and essays this time around but I just never brought myself to allocate much time to "learning" or practicing those damn PTs. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me... I've just always been more worried and focused on MBEs I guess...

anybody else on same boat?

Haven't touched PTs but I've taken another bar before and assume it can't be much worse than the MPT. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Taking it three times was necessary. The first time was in July. The second was a few weeks ago. I realized I would just make the same mistakes on other PTs if I didn't devise a plan to do things differently. My con law professor recommended doing the same essays over and over when the problem is one of getting the test organized and finished on time. (But do different tests after you get the format down). Even my third attempt was not that good.
If you look at the second model answer on the Cal Bar web site (they are posted now) and some of the ones on baressays.com it is clear that they copied and pasted or just wrote (see section A1 above). I had to do it three times before I realized that this was the only way to be organized and finish on time. But it really did help a lot. I told myself 'the PT doesn't change so the only variable left was to change the way I do it.' That made sense to me.

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:56 pm

a male human wrote:Haven't touched PTs but I've taken another bar before and assume it can't be much worse than the MPT. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.


You're wrong. I mean, have you LOOKED at the past summers PT? Honestly, EVERY SINGLE PERSON I've spoken to about the July 2013 bar exam starts off with "Oh my GOD That Fucking PT." or something to that effect. They were pretty damn convoluted.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm

How did my name get in there? That is commercial appropriation!

AntiHuman
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 pm

a male human wrote:How did my name get in there? That is commercial appropriation!


not for commercial advantage...and in any case, newsworthy exception :)

PTs blow. Ugh I tend to list too many rules and some that dont even apply.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Ha, newsworthy. I like that one. Now I won't forget it if I see a privacy torts question.

What will you guys do on Friday after the bar? So much free time! I'm having drinks and dinner with another second-timer friend and her bf for post-bar celeb and my missed birthday. I will also complete my condensed outlines while the stuff is fresh (in case there's a 3rd time... I will do pure practice and no making outlines). Gotta get back to my online programming course too...

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:06 pm

I also missed my bday.

I'm going to eat a lot, drink a lot, and sex a lot.
The details won't matter because I won't remember them anyway.

An then start work on monday... ugh.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 am

Work is good for law folks like us. I have an interview the Tuesday after the bar. It's not really an attorney job, but it's right in line with my interest. I lost some time chatting on the phone with the firm, but now I have something to look forward to.

Meanwhile I can't fucking get this corporations shit down. And tomorrow is civ pro. I am dying; I am dead.

get it to x
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby get it to x » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Anyone out there still doing BarBri's MPQ2 sets for practice? Just completed Set 9 and my score was noticeably lower (29) than for the other sets. Seems like the set had more "'holy sh*t' where did D come" from answers.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

No, I've been using Emanuel only for a while now.

What are the chances of the same topic within the same subject appearing? For example, if there is another con law, would they test DPC and EPC again? Has that happened? I'm wondering because the K and torts questions from last time seemed to have a shitload of issues, and I want to skim studying for K and torts essays if possible.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

a male human wrote:No, I've been using Emanuel only for a while now.

What are the chances of the same topic within the same subject appearing? For example, if there is another con law, would they test DPC and EPC again? Has that happened? I'm wondering because the K and torts questions from last time seemed to have a shitload of issues, and I want to skim studying for K and torts essays if possible.


looking at history of all conlaw essays (i only have access to all essays back to 1994): yes EPC has been tested back to back. yes due process has been tested back to back.
I'm not sure what would make you feel ok skimming.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:02 pm

fl0w wrote:
a male human wrote:No, I've been using Emanuel only for a while now.

What are the chances of the same topic within the same subject appearing? For example, if there is another con law, would they test DPC and EPC again? Has that happened? I'm wondering because the K and torts questions from last time seemed to have a shitload of issues, and I want to skim studying for K and torts essays if possible.


looking at history of all conlaw essays (i only have access to all essays back to 1994): yes EPC has been tested back to back. yes due process has been tested back to back.
I'm not sure what would make you feel ok skimming.

Things related to performance (get confused with when to lay out terms how to weave in anticipatory repudiation, breach, and whatever else goes under that)
Things related to intentional torts (hard time separating out all the elements like desire and substantial certainty)

I would love to have EPC and DPC tested again because they have simple rules (SS/IS/RB) and recognizable categories (race, gender, fundamental rights...).
Last edited by a male human on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:02 pm

fl0w wrote:I also missed my bday.

I'm going to eat a lot, drink a lot, and sex a lot.
The details won't matter because I won't remember them anyway.

An then start work on monday... ugh.


My firm was trying to get me to take the wk after off but I honestly just want to get my life back. I missed my best friend's wedding in Rome because I had to study.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:03 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
fl0w wrote:I also missed my bday.

I'm going to eat a lot, drink a lot, and sex a lot.
The details won't matter because I won't remember them anyway.

An then start work on monday... ugh.


My firm was trying to get me to take the wk after off but I honestly just want to get my life back. I missed my best friend's wedding in Rome because I had to study.

How big is your firm? From what I hear the bigger ones will demand work (maybe just certain ones, idk)

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:45 pm

a male human wrote:
fl0w wrote:
a male human wrote:No, I've been using Emanuel only for a while now.

What are the chances of the same topic within the same subject appearing? For example, if there is another con law, would they test DPC and EPC again? Has that happened? I'm wondering because the K and torts questions from last time seemed to have a shitload of issues, and I want to skim studying for K and torts essays if possible.


looking at history of all conlaw essays (i only have access to all essays back to 1994): yes EPC has been tested back to back. yes due process has been tested back to back.
I'm not sure what would make you feel ok skimming.

Things related to performance (get confused with when to lay out terms how to weave in anticipatory repudiation, breach, and whatever else goes under that)
Things related to intentional torts (hard time separating out all the elements like desire and substantial certainty)

I would love to have EPC and DPC tested again because they have simple rules (SS/IS/RB) and recognizable categories (race, gender, fundamental rights...).


the things that you described... i would be super hesitant to skim. they could be major major parts of a question in their respective topics.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests