California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

a male human

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Speaking of SofTest, anyone else have lag problems with it?

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 pm

ConLaw
Evidence
Real Property
Trusts(seems very likely)
PR/Busass
CivPro

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:Crim Law and Pro
PR
Evidence
Civ Pro
Real Prop
Biz Org
Wills/Trusts

Looks like you watched Dr. Dennis Saccuzzo's video on YouTube? lol

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:12 am

a male human wrote:PR
Property
Crim law and/or pro
Business associations (corps, agency and/or partnership)
Civ pro (fed and/or CA)
Evidence (fed and/or CA)

I would welcome con law (unless it's some weird presidential powers one)

federal power would be a disaster.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 am

Oh yeah definitely watched every stupid video I could.
ALSO, nothing is worse than that friggen random 13th Amendment BS on last July's exam. Ugh. I pulled that one out of my ass.
ALSSSOOO I booked a hotel in Ontario. I psyched myself out with the whole driving back and forth thing. ANyone else taking it there?

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:12 am

How does everyone feel about this thing with 1 week left?

JohnnyBeagle

Postby JohnnyBeagle » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:32 am

a male human wrote:How does everyone feel about this thing with 1 week left?

fml

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:33 am

Last summer I had too much nervous energy than I had anticipated, way too much adrenaline, psyched myself out more than I needed to. This time around, I've kept a cooler head, but now my brain is refusing to cooperate. Tried doing a practice essay today for Crim Pro (one of my better subjects), and could barely squeeze a sentence out.

My advice to all: eat, and eat well. Hydrate!!! I've neglected that aspect of the bar studying process over the last few days. Healthy body, healthy mind can sound so twee, but I can't emphasize this enough.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:53 am

tessellating wrote:

Last summer I had too much nervous energy than I had anticipated, way too much adrenaline, psyched myself out more than I needed to. This time around, I've kept a cooler head, but now my brain is refusing to cooperate. Tried doing a practice essay today for Crim Pro (one of my better subjects), and could barely squeeze a sentence out.

My advice to all: eat, and eat well. Hydrate!!! I've neglected that aspect of the bar studying process over the last few days. Healthy body, healthy mind can sound so twee, but I can't emphasize this enough.

I think adrenaline is good!

Eating is a good tip. Coincidentally, I got an email today saying not to eat too much because it might make me drowsy. Last time I tried to bring from home a pretty light meal. This time, I plan to dine well at some restaurant (hopefully not crowded) without stuffing myself. I wonder if carbs are OK? Starchy carbs are supposed to make your blood sugar crash. That doesn't sound good for a 3-hour session, but I don't want to be tired. I was pooped after doing a PT today.

JohnnyBeagle wrote:

fml

same

but it's all over in 1 week or 5 months!

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:07 am

Eating is a good tip. Coincidentally, I got an email today saying not to eat too much because it might make me drowsy. Last time I tried to bring from home a pretty light meal. This time, I plan to dine well at some restaurant (hopefully not crowded) without stuffing myself. I wonder if carbs are OK? Starchy carbs are supposed to make your blood sugar crash. That doesn't sound good for a 3-hour session, but I don't want to be tired. I was pooped after doing a PT today.

Pop b-vitamins like crazy, drink Emergen-C. I'd suggest more proteins, and as far as carbs go, think whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread or pasta, quinoa) versus processed foods. I took the exam in Pasadena the last time and will be taking it again there. Bringing food is an awesome idea. On the first day of the exam, we ended significantly later than had anticipated, so if I recall correctly, there was only 30-40 minutes for lunch.

Random, but effective: breath consciously through your nose and not your mouth. More oxygen intake = more energy.

vacations

Postby vacations » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 am

So I'm at a point where I feel like I can't take in any more new info since I've been doing nothing but reviewing lately.

The only subject I haven't really gone over is Community Property. What do you guys think? Should I just wing it? Should I learn it? There's just so many friggin rules to absorb and apply. I'm damn tired at this point and I'd rather spend my time reviewing the MBE subjects hard.....

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:23 am

tessellating wrote:

Pop b-vitamins like crazy, drink Emergen-C. I'd suggest more proteins, and as far as carbs go, think whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat bread or pasta, quinoa) versus processed foods. I took the exam in Pasadena the last time and will be taking it again there. Bringing food is an awesome idea. On the first day of the exam, we ended significantly later than had anticipated, so if I recall correctly, there was only 30-40 minutes for lunch.

Random, but effective: breath consciously through your nose and not your mouth. More oxygen intake = more energy.

I forget to breathe often and end up wondering how long I haven't been breathing. RIP brain cells.

Doesn't Emergen-C have vitamin B? Do they sell vitamin B pills at the grocery store? Never tried either. I might stop by to pick some up.
vacations wrote:So I'm at a point where I feel like I can't take in any more new info since I've been doing nothing but reviewing lately.

The only subject I haven't really gone over is Community Property. What do you guys think? Should I just wing it? Should I learn it? There's just so many friggin rules to absorb and apply. I'm damn tired at this point and I'd rather spend my time reviewing the MBE subjects hard.....

Yeah. CP is harder than it seems... You should learn it, but it's less than likely to appear since last time we had CP and wills. But you never know.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:25 am

I have a huge problem with IBS...took SAT, LSAT,MPRE all 3 times because I constantly get sick..Ate hot cheetos and oreos for dinner the day before the bar exam and got sick during the July 2013 exam.

Heavy protein and some carbs for breakfast...you can't go wrong with egg whites and whole wheat bread. Maybe 2 glasses of water max, so you don't have to use the bathroom during the exam. Some fish oil too with some fiber supplements. Im keeping away from multivitamins cause they make me piss frequently too.

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:26 am

vacations wrote:So I'm at a point where I feel like I can't take in any more new info since I've been doing nothing but reviewing lately.

Wing it. Time is precious and if you can start finessing the MBE subjects, that is more bang for your buck. I missed the July exam by 7 MBE questions/10 raw essay points. Point being that while CP is a crapshoot, MBE subjects are guaranteed.

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:29 am

Doesn't Emergen-C have vitamin B? Do they sell vitamin B pills at the grocery store? Never tried either. I might stop by to pick some up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Emergen-C has vitamin B in it. They have vitamin B supplements at the grocery store. CVS does BOGO offers, and you can usually get a bottle for $10-$15.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 am

Im frustrated with real property mbes

all 5 subjects are hovering from 66-73 percent and real prop is 55-60 percent

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 am

AntiHuman wrote:I have a huge problem with IBS...took SAT, LSAT,MPRE all 3 times because I constantly get sick..Ate hot cheetos and oreos for dinner the day before the bar exam and got sick during the July 2013 exam.

Heavy protein and some carbs for breakfast...you can't go wrong with egg whites and whole wheat bread. Maybe 2 glasses of water max, so you don't have to use the bathroom during the exam. Some fish oil too with some fiber supplements. Im keeping away from multivitamins cause they make me piss frequently too.

That sucks man. Don't make the bar a 3-time pattern! I took the SAT 4 times, though, haha

I'm wondering if I should eat the complimentary hotel breakfast or wake up earlier to splurge on a breakfast restaurant and get a complete breakfast with eggs.

Do you know if there a benefit to eating fish oil at night vs. morning? I've been taking them at night.

I'm being so picky here.

As for your MBEs, what if you focused on improving your other subjects instead? Make them 75% and ditch property.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:27 am

tessellating wrote:

Wing it. Time is precious and if you can start finessing the MBE subjects, that is more bang for your buck. I missed the July exam by 7 MBE questions/10 raw essay points. Point being that while CP is a crapshoot, MBE subjects are guaranteed.

Predictions are not guarantees or warranties (sorry if i just triggered some of you on contracts, lol). People aren't at any risk for making them and always disclaim with the fact that you need to be prepared for all subjects. And, inevitably, even if you prep for the 6/7 predicted topics, there is a very high chance statistically that one of the topics you did not prepare for is going to be on the exam in lieu of one of the topics you did prepare for.

Also, CP is not that hard to get down compared to other topics. Its application is very mechanical.

Personally I wouldn't tell anyone to "just wing" anything. Until the day before the exam it's really go time. This is where the learning happens.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:56 am

Maybe I should avoid this thread until it's over.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 pm

During the exam days I'll get most of my calories from macadamia nuts. I got a hotel in Pasadena. I'll get up early drink a couple cups of coffee, get some light exercise in and eat some nuts for breakfast. Small salad for lunch, with a few more nuts as I wait in line to get seated. After the test I'll swim or get some exercise or something. I'll have something meaty or fishy for dinner. Then read comic books and watch movies until I am ready to sleep.

Thursday night I'll feast and drink heavily.

I took the day off of studying on Saturday. It was great. I was really dysfunctional on Friday. I was getting twice as many answers wrong as usual on the MBEs and basically just looking at my outlines without learning anything. I won't study on Monday either. In July I woke up early on Thursday and studied. I was sick on Mon, tuesday and Wednesday so I thought if I studied in the morning I might make up for my poor performance on the other days. But I studied Civ Pro, Corporations and evidence. So that was pretty much a waste.
There is no sense trying to predict the subjects, except PR is almost guaranteed and MBE subjects have to be studied anyway. That professor who makes predictions on youtube is a shyster. There are 6 subjects, five if you discount PR. He guesses about 7 or 8 then makes all kinds of excuses about why he only got 3 or 4 right. He said W/T/CP and they were separate or he said evidence and it was actually an evidence PT or whatever. He did the same thing before last February's exam - made extras guesses then gave excuses for being no more likely to be correct than random guessing.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 pm

MURPH wrote:That professor who makes predictions on youtube is a shyster. There are 6 subjects, five if you discount PR. He guesses about 7 or 8 then makes all kinds of excuses about why he only got 3 or 4 right. He said W/T/CP and they were separate or he said evidence and it was actually an evidence PT or whatever. He did the same thing before last February's exam - made extras guesses then gave excuses for being no more likely to be correct than random guessing.

This. He puts Evidence/PR/Remedies in one slot and when the exam contains PR and Remedies in separate questions, he gives himself credit. I think last July, he put in all but 2 subjects on his 'predictions' list.

At this point, I'm outlining essays and reviewing MBEs. When you think about it, 35% of the test is the MBE. The other 65% is writing. Of that 65%, 60% are essays and 40% are PTs. (stay with me). When you go into the essays, half of that 60 are guaranteed MBE topics and PR is almost always the 4th. So COMBINED, those last two slots are barely 20% of you essay score, or 14% of your overall score of which you're guaranteed at least a 50 on each. No need to waste time with COmmProp, CivPro, Corps, Agency, Will, Trsuts, etc.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:41 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
MURPH wrote:That professor who makes predictions on youtube is a shyster. There are 6 subjects, five if you discount PR. He guesses about 7 or 8 then makes all kinds of excuses about why he only got 3 or 4 right. He said W/T/CP and they were separate or he said evidence and it was actually an evidence PT or whatever. He did the same thing before last February's exam - made extras guesses then gave excuses for being no more likely to be correct than random guessing.

This. He puts Evidence/PR/Remedies in one slot and when the exam contains PR and Remedies in separate questions, he gives himself credit. I think last July, he put in all but 2 subjects on his 'predictions' list.

At this point, I'm outlining essays and reviewing MBEs. When you think about it, 35% of the test is the MBE. The other 65% is writing. Of that 65%, 60% are essays and 40% are PTs. (stay with me). When you go into the essays, half of that 60 are guaranteed MBE topics and PR is almost always the 4th. So COMBINED, those last two slots are barely 20% of you essay score, or 14% of your overall score of which you're guaranteed at least a 50 on each. No need to waste time with COmmProp, CivPro, Corps, Agency, Will, Trsuts, etc.

sweet, i'm gonna skip corps studying today

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:08 pm

bizass and civpro are such garbage...I'll just take the 50-55..smh

A good strategy is to master the PTs and MBE...gives you a cushion for the essay section

how many PTs did you guys do or what was our preparation for it?

vacations

Postby vacations » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:12 pm

I somewhat agree with you that a good strategy is to back points on MBEs and PTs...but the moment you get a PT like July 2013 PT A...any "cushion" you thought you had on essays pretty much went down the strain.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:08 pm

But guuuyyysss I spent all morning on Corporationnnsss (and agency and partnerships).
I was GOING to do Civ Pro tonight but apparently that's a waste haha Maybe I'll look at Torts again since Negligence is the most tested subject on the bar over all.

Crap. How is there only 5 days until this shit? I know it sounds mean but I'm kind of glad you're all feeling like I am - like you can't retain or get an essay out to save your lives. Maybe it should make me feel worse since we all failed once before?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”