California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

fl0w

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:48 pm

a male human wrote:Was I supposed to pick anything up after the NDCal swear-in? I just noticed the part that says, "If you wish to be admitted to that Court at that time, you must take the District Court oath during the ceremony and pick up your validation card and instructions at the conclusion of the ceremony."

I didn't pick anything up either.
But eventually I'm just going to have my assistant fill out whatever is necessary and get me admitted since it's all online and there is a fee involved anyway.

duskfall

Postby duskfall » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:42 am

where's the pics from the oath ceremony?

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:21 pm

People were pretty low energy there. We just got in and out.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:13 pm

a male human wrote:People were pretty low energy there. We just got in and out.

most excitement was a little girl that kept running up and down the aisle. She was hype. Turn down for what?!

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:06 pm

MURPH wrote:Type. I've written about using Mavis Beacon to practice typing before the Bar. It helps. On day 1 my computer didn't work so I had to handwrite in the morning. I survived but typing for 2 six hour days is OK. Handwriting for two 6 hour days is torture.
You can use a wireless mouse.
Copy and paste is a huge advantage.

What is the web site to download the typing software for mavis Beacon? Also,how much did it help?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:39 am

I think I downloaded it from Amazon for $20. It only helps if you do it every night. 20 minutes per night is enough to make a significant improvement. But you really have to be consistent. It is very frustrating at first.

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:30 am

MURPH wrote:I think I downloaded it from Amazon for $20. It only helps if you do it every night. 20 minutes per night is enough to make a significant improvement. But you really have to be consistent. It is very frustrating at first.

Ok, thank you. Was that the deluxe 25th anniversary version with 330 personalized lessons?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 pm

There were no personalized lessons. I downloaded the program onto my computer and all the feedback was automated.

AntiHuman

Postby AntiHuman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Haha I was at the 6/5 Oakland swearing in as well. Probably ran into some of you without even knowing it.

I know I've beaten this to death, but I'll simplify what I did different from July to February.

MBEs: Adaptibar. Nuff Said. Do 1200+ questions.

Essays: PRACTICE ISSUE SPOTTING. MOST IMPORTANT. Everyone will know the rules and analysis just follows from that. Use the facts word for word. But nothing is sexier than getting VERY MINOR ISSUES like BFP for the CP question...etc. Picking up these minor issues is key. Use the facts to get the issues. Then run your issue checklist quickly through your head. Only memorize an issue checklist for certain subjects. For example, PR is a subject that you ONLY use the facts to get the issues. READ THE FACTS SLOWLY.

PTs: Find framework first. Then library. Write out the full rules. Then attach facts to the rules. Conclude. KNOW YOUR TONE. If its persuasive, write out persuasive headings. If objective, then write out "Whether or not...etc" headings. Your entire PT should follow either a persuasive or objective tone...even in the analysis. Keep your headings appropriate.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:41 am

I don't disagree with anything AntiHuman just said.

Speaking of which, do any of you still have copies of your old exams? I am collecting donations for an essay bank (including PTs) where people can look at real essays and scores for free. I think it would really help out future generations. I've already reached out to some of the posters I made a connection with, but here is the blog I promised to start, publicly: http://www.makethisyourlasttime.com/ All donations will be freely available here.

If anyone is interested in contributing to the pool with scans/pictures of some or all your answers, please let me know here or PM me.

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:48 pm

The answers to the Fed 2014 exam are now posted on calbar's website.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Carryon wrote:The answers to the Fed 2014 exam are now posted on calbar's website.

would have been nice of them to post answers to july 2013 in a reasonable amount of time for us to study them. at least they got that part of their act together.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 pm

fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:The answers to the Fed 2014 exam are now posted on calbar's website.

would have been nice of them to post answers to july 2013 in a reasonable amount of time for us to study them. at least they got that part of their act together.

man check your email once in a while! don't make me send you another one.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:05 pm

a male human wrote:
fl0w wrote:

man check your email once in a while! don't make me send you another one.

ahhhh! ok ok I'm on it

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:16 am

So um what do I do to get admitted after I pass moral character?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:50 pm

El Pollito wrote:So um what do I do to get admitted after I pass moral character?

They should mail you some form. Go to judge and ask him to swear you in, sign and stamp the form. Then mail it to the Cal Bar. Pay them. in a few days you will be listed on their website as a lawyer with a nice new number.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 pm

I didn't even pay yet, and my number is up. They sure treat you nicer once you pass.

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:13 am

Carryon wrote:
MURPH wrote:I think I downloaded it from Amazon for $20. It only helps if you do it every night. 20 minutes per night is enough to make a significant improvement. But you really have to be consistent. It is very frustrating at first.

Ok, thank you. Was that the deluxe 25th anniversary version with 330 personalized lessons?

After taking the typing course, how many words per minute were you typing at the time of the feb 2014 exam?

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:15 am

Carryon wrote:
Carryon wrote:

After taking the typing course, how many words per minute were you typing at the time of the feb 2014 exam?

This question is to Murph or anyone else who took the Exam? I was wonder what a good wpm typing speed is (assuming good accuracy)?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:21 am

i'm not saying typing speed isn't important... but I do worry that people are getting the impression that they should be prioritizing it and working on it more than is actually necessary. I'd urge people to really understand if wpm is actually a problem for them before going down this road.

Murph recognized it was a problem for him so he worked on it. But you can type as the speed of light and it doesn't matter if you haven't studied properly. So please do keep perspective.

As a threshold look at the length of sample answers. Can you belt that much out in the recommended time limit? If so, you probably don't have a wpm issue.

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 pm

fl0w wrote:i'm not saying typing speed isn't important... but I do worry that people are getting the impression that they should be prioritizing it and working on it more than is actually necessary. I'd urge people to really understand if wpm is actually a problem for them before going down this road.

Murph recognized it was a problem for him so he worked on it. But you can type as the speed of light and it doesn't matter if you haven't studied properly. So please do keep perspective.

As a threshold look at the length of sample answers. Can you belt that much out in the recommended time limit? If so, you probably don't have a wpm issue.

Yes, that's my concern. My typing speed is around 25 wpm. I am concern that I cannot type all of the model answer. I am fairly sure that I cannot handwrite all of the model answer. I have been practicing typing and am wondering what speed is sufficient.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:i'm not saying typing speed isn't important... but I do worry that people are getting the impression that they should be prioritizing it and working on it more than is actually necessary. I'd urge people to really understand if wpm is actually a problem for them before going down this road.

Yes, that's my concern. My typing speed is around 25 wpm. I am concern that I cannot type all of the model answer. I am fairly sure that I cannot handwrite all of the model answer. I have been practicing typing and am wondering what speed is sufficient.

I guess mine hovers around 70-75wpm if i'm just straight typing. But you aren't just straight typing on the exam.. so I'm not sure what to give you for an answer.

Can use something like this to get a quick vague idea of your wpm
http://www.learn2type.com/typingtest/typingtest.cfm

But maybe PM Murph since this is something he worked on specifically.

Carryon

Postby Carryon » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 pm

fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:

I guess mine hovers around 70-75wpm if i'm just straight typing. But you aren't just straight typing on the exam.. so I'm not sure what to give you for an answer.

Thanks, I took that test and got 46 wpm but with 11 errors.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Carryon wrote:
fl0w wrote:
Carryon wrote:

Thanks, I took that test and got 46 wpm but with 11 errors.

apparently 50-80 wpm is considered the speed of a "professional typist." Hitting 120 is considered being a very good typist.
<shrug>

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:17 am

Improving by 10 wpm will add 300 words - about a page to each 1 hour essay if you write for 30 minutes. I only spent 20 minutes per night on typing. I really did not spend much time on it and I don't recommend wasting too much energy on it.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”