California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Sun May 18, 2014 6:38 pm

El Pollito wrote:
lorraina42 wrote:Are any other passers living outside of California right now? If so, are you flying/driving to Cali to go to a formal swearing-in ceremony or just going to a notary in your home state?

lol, no


Only reason i'm going to the ceremony is because i live across the bridge from oakland. nothing special about it except it is already arranged.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Sun May 18, 2014 6:40 pm

fl0w wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
lorraina42 wrote:Are any other passers living outside of California right now? If so, are you flying/driving to Cali to go to a formal swearing-in ceremony or just going to a notary in your home state?

lol, no


Only reason i'm going to the ceremony is because i live across the bridge from oakland. nothing special about it except it is already arranged.

Can someone explain when we have to go to the ceremony/get notarized or whatever? I still haven't finished my moral character application because the fingerprinting guy is never at the precinct when I stop by.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Sun May 18, 2014 6:49 pm

El Pollito wrote:Can someone explain when we have to go to the ceremony/get notarized or whatever? I still haven't finished my moral character application because the fingerprinting guy is never at the precinct when I stop by.


i mean that's why they want you to get it done asap because ti takes so long. You might have to have C&F done before the swearing in, but I'm not sure since all my other stuff is taken care of.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm

fl0w wrote:
El Pollito wrote:Can someone explain when we have to go to the ceremony/get notarized or whatever? I still haven't finished my moral character application because the fingerprinting guy is never at the precinct when I stop by.


i mean that's why they want you to get it done asap because ti takes so long. You might have to have C&F done before the swearing in, but I'm not sure since all my other stuff is taken care of.

Does it matter when you do the swearing in? I'm retarded and haven't read any instructions.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Sun May 18, 2014 6:51 pm

El Pollito wrote:
fl0w wrote:
El Pollito wrote:Can someone explain when we have to go to the ceremony/get notarized or whatever? I still haven't finished my moral character application because the fingerprinting guy is never at the precinct when I stop by.


i mean that's why they want you to get it done asap because ti takes so long. You might have to have C&F done before the swearing in, but I'm not sure since all my other stuff is taken care of.

Does it matter when you do the swearing in? I'm retarded and haven't read any instructions.


w/in 4.5 years of passing the bar. So yes it matters a little.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 pm

fl0w wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
fl0w wrote:
El Pollito wrote:Can someone explain when we have to go to the ceremony/get notarized or whatever? I still haven't finished my moral character application because the fingerprinting guy is never at the precinct when I stop by.


i mean that's why they want you to get it done asap because ti takes so long. You might have to have C&F done before the swearing in, but I'm not sure since all my other stuff is taken care of.

Does it matter when you do the swearing in? I'm retarded and haven't read any instructions.


w/in 4.5 years of passing the bar. So yes it matters a little.

ty ty

CourtneyElizabeth
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:22 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Sun May 18, 2014 7:12 pm

take your stupid swearing in stuff to another thread.

still bitter.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Sun May 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Performance Test A wrote:so if you passed do you get to see your score at all?

Never, not even if you want to transfer your MBE score. Unless you were in the top 5%, you got somewhere between 1440-1636: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201402.pdf

"Applicants who passed the examination are not entitled to review their scores from the examination." We should be entitled IMO

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Sun May 18, 2014 8:01 pm

a male human wrote:
Performance Test A wrote:so if you passed do you get to see your score at all?

Never, not even if you want to transfer your MBE score. Unless you were in the top 5%, you got somewhere between 1440-1636: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201402.pdf

"Applicants who passed the examination are not entitled to review their scores from the examination." We should be entitled IMO


I disagree. Letting people see the scores gives one more metric by which to measure applicants for jobs. It has to stop somewhere. Imaging jobs requiring a 1550+ bar score or some crazy BS.

User avatar
ellebee
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby ellebee » Sun May 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Lurker here again. i used a tutor the second time. It helped me.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daniels-bar-tut ... w#src:self

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Sun May 18, 2014 8:30 pm

fl0w wrote:
a male human wrote:
Performance Test A wrote:so if you passed do you get to see your score at all?

Never, not even if you want to transfer your MBE score. Unless you were in the top 5%, you got somewhere between 1440-1636: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201402.pdf

"Applicants who passed the examination are not entitled to review their scores from the examination." We should be entitled IMO


I disagree. Letting people see the scores gives one more metric by which to measure applicants for jobs. It has to stop somewhere. Imaging jobs requiring a 1550+ bar score or some crazy BS.

Good point.

AntiHuman
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby AntiHuman » Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 am

Passed. Funny story is I initially used the wrong file and applicant number. I went in my wallet and pulled out the badge that has applicant and file number. I plugged the numbers in and it said i didn't pass...but I used the July 2013 badge haha. Luckily my friend looked at the back of the card randomly and told me.

Couple things that might give hope to others:

1. took SAT 3 times, ACT 3 times, LSAT 3 times and MPRE twice. 22 years old. Bottom of the class. Never was a good test taker.

2. My July 2013 scores: 55,55,55,80,55,55,50,55, mbe was 110.

3. Main difference between July and February: Issue SPOTTING!!! This is probably the most important. You all can pass in JUly if you use the facts to draw the issues and have a general checklist of the issues memorized. If you spot most of the issues, I dunno how you can get below 65. If graders are reading these quickly, you must spot the issues...its one of the first things they look at. Also, use the exact facts from the question(word for word) in your analysis.

Everyone has different opinions on this, but feel free to message me and I can further discuss what I did differently.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 am

My approach to studying was drastically different from attempt 1 to attempt 2 as well (commercial prep vs tutor). And as I stated before the tutor made the world of difference for me. Focusing on what graders look for and how to give it to them instead of wasting time with lectures. Writing every day and getting feedback weekly. Having a strict schedule to follow, a memorization technique that worked for me (and memorization is my weakness) and someone that I trusted because of the recommendation of my firm and from other individuals that had used him.

I'm tempted to do some kind of write up about how different the experiences were for me. First time around I really had no clue. Second time around I walked out actually feeling ok. That of course turns into horrible anxiety as results day approaches, but we all know how that is.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby MURPH » Mon May 19, 2014 8:21 am

AntiHuman wrote:Passed. Funny story is I initially used the wrong file and applicant number. I went in my wallet and pulled out the badge that has applicant and file number. I plugged the numbers in and it said i didn't pass...but I used the July 2013 badge haha. Luckily my friend looked at the back of the card randomly and told me.
.

I would fucking die if I did that.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby El Pollito » Mon May 19, 2014 8:30 am

I'm pretty sure I absolutely bombed the state essays, so just do high MBE + PT.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:05 am

Passed. Congrats to everyone else who passed!

User avatar
rickter
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby rickter » Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

I passed, undoubtedly in no small part thanks to the help I found in this thread, thanks especially to 2807.

Congratulations to everyone who passed, especially murph and a male human. you guys really deserved it.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby a male human » Mon May 19, 2014 3:17 pm

AntiHuman wrote:Passed. Funny story is I initially used the wrong file and applicant number. I went in my wallet and pulled out the badge that has applicant and file number. I plugged the numbers in and it said i didn't pass...but I used the July 2013 badge haha. Luckily my friend looked at the back of the card randomly and told me.

Couple things that might give hope to others:

1. took SAT 3 times, ACT 3 times, LSAT 3 times and MPRE twice. 22 years old. Bottom of the class. Never was a good test taker.

2. My July 2013 scores: 55,55,55,80,55,55,50,55, mbe was 110.

3. Main difference between July and February: Issue SPOTTING!!! This is probably the most important. You all can pass in JUly if you use the facts to draw the issues and have a general checklist of the issues memorized. If you spot most of the issues, I dunno how you can get below 65. If graders are reading these quickly, you must spot the issues...its one of the first things they look at. Also, use the exact facts from the question(word for word) in your analysis.

Everyone has different opinions on this, but feel free to message me and I can further discuss what I did differently.

Cannot agree with #3 more. Don't be creative with the issues. Ever since I read Getting to Maybe over the summer before law school, I kept trying to be creative with the issues. Nope, turns out it's a relatively simple process (not necessarily easy, of course).

Check for issues, not just "spot" issues. All you need is a finite list of testable issues to check against the facts. You can think of essays as closed universes like PTs, with rules in your head. While PTs test your A, essays test your I. Once you plant the issue seeds, RAC can sprout from there.

fl0w, I'm probably going to ask you about your experiences with your tutor at some point.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon May 19, 2014 4:00 pm

a male human wrote:fl0w, I'm probably going to ask you about your experiences with your tutor at some point.


ask away whenever you like.

master
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby master » Mon May 19, 2014 6:23 pm

I know a 1440 is passing, but doesn anyone have a clue what a really bad score is or one that can be improved easily. I scored a 1220

1280 on writing and 1160 on MBE. How bad is that? I did an LLM but got great grades and did well on the Bar practice exams. I got a 55 on most of my essays. I dont know why they wont tell us how many MBE questions we missed. that is really stupid because theres no way to figure out what you screwed up on

Did anyone score this bad the 1st time and then pass later?

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm

master wrote:I know a 1440 is passing, but doesn anyone have a clue what a really bad score is or one that can be improved easily. I scored a 1220

1280 on writing and 1160 on MBE. How bad is that? I did an LLM but got great grades and did well on the Bar practice exams. I got a 55 on most of my essays. I dont know why they wont tell us how many MBE questions we missed. that is really stupid because theres no way to figure out what you screwed up on

Did anyone score this bad the 1st time and then pass later?


I'll be honest, 1220 is pretty low. Your writing score likely indicates that either you don't know the law or that you need to improve your analysis. Your MBE score is simply a result of you not knowing enough law. 1160 MBE is, and I don't mean to be a dick, pretty darn low. Take a week off and re-group and give it another go. I would suggest hiring either a tutor or taking a class. DO NOT do the same thing you did the first time. G-luck!

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby MURPH » Mon May 19, 2014 6:37 pm

It does matter when you swear in.

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201302.pdf

Cal Bar membership fee is $205 if you wait until June 1st. My friends and I are waiting until then.

It is $410 if you cannot wait.

DwightSchruteFarms
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:19 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Mon May 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Anyone swearing in at Pasadena?

Also, is there a different ceremony if we want to swear into the Federal System as well?

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon May 19, 2014 7:34 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:Anyone swearing in at Pasadena?

Also, is there a different ceremony if we want to swear into the Federal System as well?


typically the closest district court will be there for another ceremony immediately following. So you, for example, can do C.D. Cal. same day.
Note -- all of this info is in the packet they sent us.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby fl0w » Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm

DwightSchruteFarms wrote:
master wrote:I know a 1440 is passing, but doesn anyone have a clue what a really bad score is or one that can be improved easily. I scored a 1220

1280 on writing and 1160 on MBE. How bad is that? I did an LLM but got great grades and did well on the Bar practice exams. I got a 55 on most of my essays. I dont know why they wont tell us how many MBE questions we missed. that is really stupid because theres no way to figure out what you screwed up on

Did anyone score this bad the 1st time and then pass later?


I'll be honest, 1220 is pretty low. Your writing score likely indicates that either you don't know the law or that you need to improve your analysis. Your MBE score is simply a result of you not knowing enough law. 1160 MBE is, and I don't mean to be a dick, pretty darn low. Take a week off and re-group and give it another go. I would suggest hiring either a tutor or taking a class. DO NOT do the same thing you did the first time. G-luck!


If you want to know how "good" or "not good" a score is:
http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201402.pdf

So you can find your score in that chart and know what percentile you were.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: haus, Kayak1277, rcharter1978, Spartan_Alum_12, WhiteCollarBlueShirt and 13 guests