California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Emma.

Re: California Bar Exam (February 2014) thread

Postby Emma. » Fri May 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Congrats, guys!

chup

Postby chup » Fri May 16, 2014 9:20 pm

chup wrote:Hey where do you find your application number? Asking for a friend.

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 pm

chup - its on your badge you used for the test

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 pm

chup wrote:

It's on the plastic card you got at the test center.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Fri May 16, 2014 9:22 pm

a male human wrote:ALSO, to anyone looking to repeat, I have spent the last couple months developing something for repeat bar takers. I know that crushing feeling, and I've decided to be a helping force. I will also start a website/blog very soon. Please PM me or post here so I can reach out to you and get your burning pain points so I know how to help. My philosophy is that you want to hear the advice/strategies of someone who both failed and passed, rather than someone who just happened to pass and has generic advice.

My heart goes out to those who didn't happen to fall into the State Bar's standards. It makes me madder every time I think about the bullshit they put people through.

Congrats dude.

I will be needing your help...if I retake. Which I doubt I will right away...

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 pm

where you at fl0w….gimme some good news!

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri May 16, 2014 9:41 pm

a male human wrote:
2807 wrote:
a male human wrote:FML
FINALLY MADE LAWYER
SUMMER IS HERE

Welcome aboard buddy.
I felt so bad for you last November. You are the reason I started posting and trying to help.
Great news !
Go party.

Thank you! I'm happy I don't have to spend 2014 studying and waiting in agony.

Boss is opening his winery for the first time in our company's history. Gotta stay and enjoy the honors.

ALSO, to anyone looking to repeat, I have spent the last couple months developing something for repeat bar takers. I know that crushing feeling, and I've decided to be a helping force. I will also start a website/blog very soon. Please PM me or post here so I can reach out to you and get your burning pain points so I know how to help. My philosophy is that you want to hear the advice/strategies of someone who both failed and passed, rather than someone who just happened to pass and has generic advice.

My heart goes out to those who didn't happen to fall into the State Bar's standards. It makes me madder every time I think about the bullshit they put people through.

I'd be glad to help too. I would have approached the bar the same way in February as I did in July without the conversations I had on this board. So I probably would have failed again.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Fri May 16, 2014 9:54 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:where you at fl0w….gimme some good news!

Esquire. Thanks for lookin out.

I'm sorry for those of us that got news in the alternative. What I kept telling myself is that no matter what I will make life work. This just means I don't have to change careers to do it.

It's been nice having a tiny little community here.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri May 16, 2014 10:09 pm

a male human wrote:
chup wrote:

It's on the plastic card you got at the test center.

Lost badge but moral character backdoor'd. Passed!

CourtneyElizabeth

Postby CourtneyElizabeth » Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 pm

I hate all of you.

tessellating

Postby tessellating » Fri May 16, 2014 10:24 pm

CourtneyElizabeth wrote:I hate all of you.

Hang in there. I didn't pass, going to go for one last hurrah on the July exam before reevaluating things.

BeautyNBrains85

Postby BeautyNBrains85 » Fri May 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Congrats to those who passed. I'm new to the this forum but i've been reading it for awhile. I'm already licensed in LA but decided to move back home to CA. I'm thinking about just taking the rest of 2014 off and taking it next Feb 2015. I'm kinda of exhausted lol :cry:

Jay Heizenburg

Postby Jay Heizenburg » Fri May 16, 2014 10:41 pm

BeautyNBrains85 wrote:Congrats to those who passed. I'm new to the this forum but i've been reading it for awhile. I'm already licensed in LA but decided to move back home to CA. I'm thinking about just taking the rest of 2014 off and taking it next Feb 2015. I'm kinda of exhausted lol :cry:

I don't know if I would do that if I were you. It's probably best to squeeze in July 2014, even if you're tired.

MBAtoJD

Postby MBAtoJD » Fri May 16, 2014 10:49 pm

I didn't pass.

It is encouraging to see you guys passing as retakers. It gives me some hope. Congratulations, y'all.

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri May 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Passed!! thanks to everyone for their support. For those that didnt, hang in there. Keep chuggin away.

VBsbeenweary

Postby VBsbeenweary » Sat May 17, 2014 3:26 am

CourtneyElizabeth: I'm lame at this blog stuff and tried to connect directly with you. Please try to connect with me.

james11

Postby james11 » Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 am

I passed. It was my second time. The nightmare is over for me. I've avoided my friends/family for months. I had thoughts of quitting or moving out of state after the first time, but I gritted my teeth and gave it another go. For those of you who were not successful, I encourage you to keep at it. Eventually you will pass.

The first time I did well on the MBE but failed every single essay. My essay scores were 55, 55, 55, 60, 62.5, 55.

I hired a tutor and also heavily used BarEssays.com at the advice of Murph and several other posters on this board.

My daily schedule was as follows: wake up, 20 MBEs (I had mbe material from kaplan, barbri, and strategies+tactics), review subject, lunch, practice essay, spend some time and compare my essay to the examples on baressays.com, 20 more MBEs and/or more review and/or speak with tutor.

Through this process I realized that I failed every essay the first time for three reasons- 1) my formatting was all wrong. I did not have a good grasp on irac and my review course did not teach this to me; 2) I did not memorize the rule statements enough; 3) I did not hit enough subissues.

The final couple weeks before the bar exam I made flashcards with all the rule statements and memorized like crazy.

I can tell you that failing the bar was worst academic experience of my life but I learned a lot about self discipline and getting through a major set back.

Good luck to all.

MBAtoJD

Postby MBAtoJD » Sat May 17, 2014 12:18 pm

james11 wrote:I passed. It was my second time. The nightmare is over for me. I've avoided my friends/family for months. I had thoughts of quitting or moving out of state after the first time, but I gritted my teeth and gave it another go. For those of you who were not successful, I encourage you to keep at it. Eventually you will pass.

The first time I did well on the MBE but failed every single essay. My essay scores were 55, 55, 55, 60, 62.5, 55.

I hired a tutor and also heavily used BarEssays.com at the advice of Murph and several other posters on this board.

My daily schedule was as follows: wake up, 20 MBEs (I had mbe material from kaplan, barbri, and strategies+tactics), review subject, lunch, practice essay, spend some time and compare my essay to the examples on baressays.com, 20 more MBEs and/or more review and/or speak with tutor.

Through this process I realized that I failed every essay the first time for three reasons- 1) my formatting was all wrong. I did not have a good grasp on irac and my review course did not teach this to me; 2) I did not memorize the rule statements enough; 3) I did not hit enough subissues.

The final couple weeks before the bar exam I made flashcards with all the rule statements and memorized like crazy.

I can tell you that failing the bar was worst academic experience of my life but I learned a lot about self discipline and getting through a major set back.

Good luck to all.

Congrats! Can you share your tutor information? Thanks!

calibred

Postby calibred » Sat May 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Sorry to those who didn't make it this time around. For what it's worth, I failed every essay the first time around, including PTs (mostly 55s) and managed to pass the bar this time while working full time. For me, I think the issues the first time around were not spending any time preparing for the PTs, not applying facts in the essays like it was my job, and not getting much sleep on the days before the test.

Good luck to everyone taking the July test. This shit sucks but it's doable and this time around you'll be able to study in the sun.

duskfall

Postby duskfall » Sat May 17, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi all,

I've been reading this post for months after the cal bar and was anxiously awaiting the results just like all you guys (and gals). I'm already a licensed attorney in another state and decided to take the Cal Bar in February 2014 while doing a full-time judicial clerkship. First time Cal Bar taker here and let me tell you, it was not easy but was fortunate to pass on my first try.

To all those who didn't pass, don't worry about it. Don't get down if you didn't pass because this is the hardest bar exam in the nation. The test does not discriminate: even people from Harvard, NYU, Stanford, Berkeley still fail the exam. Juxtaposing the two bars i've taken so far, the Cal bar makes the other bar look like a walk in the park. But don't get me wrong, this test by no means is a test about intelligence or how smart you are--it's about whether you have the right strategy in place. Whenever I discuss bar study with freinds, I always analogize studying for the bar to sports. In sports, you can have all the best players on your team but does it necessarily mean you will win the championship? not really. Just like memorizing as much as you can: it doesn't necessarily guarantee you anything.

I feel for those who didn't pass and want to help anyone looking for the right plan of attack for the next exam. This exam is not about how much you can memorize but how well you can adapt to the bar's demands. Feel free to contact me if anyone wants help.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Sat May 17, 2014 4:08 pm

My tutor was my hero. A true champion. If anyone would like his information please message me.

PARTICULARLY for those of us who "learn by doing" his method is spot on. Watching lectures was straight garbage for me and a complete waste of my time and energy first time around.

lorraina42

Postby lorraina42 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:15 pm

Are any other passers living outside of California right now? If so, are you flying/driving to Cali to go to a formal swearing-in ceremony or just going to a notary in your home state?

Performance Test A

Postby Performance Test A » Sun May 18, 2014 5:46 pm

lorraina42 wrote:Are any other passers living outside of California right now? If so, are you flying/driving to Cali to go to a formal swearing-in ceremony or just going to a notary in your home state?

I'm getting a local attorney to do mine.

Performance Test A

Postby Performance Test A » Sun May 18, 2014 6:30 pm

so if you passed do you get to see your score at all?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun May 18, 2014 6:31 pm

lorraina42 wrote:Are any other passers living outside of California right now? If so, are you flying/driving to Cali to go to a formal swearing-in ceremony or just going to a notary in your home state?

lol, no

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”