dsclaw

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby dsclaw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 pm

Not bad, 43/50. I will take it! Now to do a Torts MBE section, kind of annoying I have a MBE section after a milestone exam. Themis is just :evil:

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Dumbest question in thread: Where do we get the extra MBE question sets? It seems like if you go to to the MBE questions in flex study each topic has about 5 sets of questions which = 170 questions per topic. Themis said there were over 10,000 so that just doesn't add up. I have no use in practicing Crim or Evidence but I need all the hep I can get with Torts and Con Law and I am done with all 5 sets available to me in flex study. Am I just not seeing it?

10,000? I thought there was over 1,000... Wanna know the answer to this inquiry as well.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Only scored a 72% on the second milestone. Not sure if I wasn't in the zone or what, but I thought that exam was very difficult compared to the practice problems. I had been scoring in the 80%s on everything besides contracts. I guess my percentage was thrown off a bit because I missed more crim law questions than I usually do. I would have liked a 75% or higher, but this isn't bad I guess.

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty happy with my results. 72% by itself isn't outstanding but I was only + or - 1-2% from each section as I had been testing previously. I actually scored a 66% on Contracts, which is higher than I had been scoring previously. The weight of that outweighed doing nearly 80% on all the other topics (as I had done before). I hate being only 1% away from the national average according to Themis, but this means I'm scoring consistently even in the face of a "hard" exam.
Last edited by Bustang on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:51 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Dumbest question in thread: Where do we get the extra MBE question sets? It seems like if you go to to the MBE questions in flex study each topic has about 5 sets of questions which = 170 questions per topic. Themis said there were over 10,000 so that just doesn't add up. I have no use in practicing Crim or Evidence but I need all the hep I can get with Torts and Con Law and I am done with all 5 sets available to me in flex study. Am I just not seeing it?
I'm not sure how many questions total they have, but I suspect it includes all of the "Mixed MBE PQs Session" that you'll see in Flex Mode. I don't think there are necessarily any more topic-specific sets beyond the initial five that you get for each topic. It might be that if you want to work specifically and only on, say, Torts, then you're out of luck once you're beyond the first five Torts-only sets.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I guess I'm one of the few happy with my 35/50. 70% is good enough to pass. Yay for minimum competency. Now if I could only start doing better on these damn essays...

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:54 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
I am taking PA. I have no idea what we need to get on essays. I know the PT counts for 1.5x the points as one essay answer, so doing well on that will help, but as far as how much we need to get right on the essays to pass combined with MBE? No idea. I do know from previous bar exams that MBE is more important than essays.... I just don't know why, because I am very shitty at understanding that kind of math. Scaling and scoring and whatnot.

I bet you could ask Kevin Frost.

Yeah, I'm going to email him. I don't think the MBE can be more important since PA weighs the essays and MBEs at 55% and 45% respectively.

Did you ever contact Kevin Frost about this, by any chance?

I asked my attorney advisor instead and he said that, assuming an average MBE score 135-140 (scaled, roughly 120-125 raw), you should average 14's on the essays and a 20-25 on the PT test. The funny thing is that I asked my buddy who took the PA bar last year and he said that 14 is way too high. He thinks it's more like 11 or 12. I actually think my buddy is right because another friend who is doing Barbri told me that a 10-11 on a graded PA essay is considered fair, and a 12 is considered good.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Erin Murphy's NY evidence distinctions lectures were all so nice and short (~13 minutes) and then BAM, 28 fucking minutes on witnesses.
Last edited by forza on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 pm

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
I am taking PA. I have no idea what we need to get on essays. I know the PT counts for 1.5x the points as one essay answer, so doing well on that will help, but as far as how much we need to get right on the essays to pass combined with MBE? No idea. I do know from previous bar exams that MBE is more important than essays.... I just don't know why, because I am very shitty at understanding that kind of math. Scaling and scoring and whatnot.

I bet you could ask Kevin Frost.

Yeah, I'm going to email him. I don't think the MBE can be more important since PA weighs the essays and MBEs at 55% and 45% respectively.

I asked my attorney advisor instead and he said that, assuming an average MBE score 135-140 (scaled, roughly 120-125 raw), you should average 14's on the essays and a 20-25 on the PT test. The funny thing is that I asked my buddy who took the PA bar last year and he said that 14 is way too high. He thinks it's more like 11 or 12. I actually think my buddy is right because another friend who is doing Barbri told me that a 10-11 on a graded PA essay is considered fair, and a 12 is considered good.

Jesus - I'm in Texas, but I figured you need at least a 15 to be in good shape. I really do not know anything about how this sucker is graded.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Maybe stupid, but what is the "Advanced Sales" outline? I read everything hardcopy and can't find it.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:41 pm

Did we get short outlines for the other MBE topics yet?

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Bustang wrote:
Jesus - I'm in Texas, but I figured you need at least a 15 to be in good shape. I really do not know anything about how this sucker is graded.

Yeah, I have no clue how the Texas exam is graded. In PA we have 6 essays worth 20 points and one PT exam worth 30. The essays + PT account for 55% of your final score, and the MBE counts for the other 45%.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Did we get short outlines for the other MBE topics yet?

Yes, in a June 26 e-mail with the subject "Important Dates in your Themis Bar Review Course"

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:25 pm

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:

I hope your buddy is right. No offense to your adviser, but I have to call shenanigans on the 20-25 on the PT thing.... the graded PT was out of 20 possible, wasn't it? Do you have Brett?

120 raw is 60% correct, so if you're doing better than that on the practice MBE questions, you're probably good, then, right?

I'm just really not remembering the stupid PA civ pro crap and all the stupid PA differences. I know I still have review time, but... I need some cushion on my essays. I can do decent without opening the outline/notes, but I'm still having to look.

I despair. It's raining here in Philly and distressing my little black heart even further....

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:

I hope your buddy is right. No offense to your adviser, but I have to call shenanigans on the 20-25 on the PT thing.... the graded PT was out of 20 possible, wasn't it? Do you have Brett?

120 raw is 60% correct, so if you're doing better than that on the practice MBE questions, you're probably good, then, right?

I'm just really not remembering the stupid PA civ pro crap and all the stupid PA differences. I know I still have review time, but... I need some cushion on my essays. I can do decent without opening the outline/notes, but I'm still having to look.

I despair. It's raining here in Philly and distressing my little black heart even further....

I don't have Brett, but I think you multiply whatever you got on the PT by by 1.5, so you should be shooting for 13+/20, which multiplied by 1.5 gives you 20. As for the 120 raw, you should calculate it out of 190 since 10 out of the 200 don't count, so it really is closer to 63%.

I'm with you on the PA crap, there's just so much shit I have to remember. Because I should comfortably hit 75% complete by July 29 even if I only average 1% per day, I'm going to work on memorization most of the day, and do practice essays and mbe pqs for the rest of July. No more little bullshit Themis assignments for me.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:52 pm

locusdelicti wrote:I hope your buddy is right. No offense to your adviser, but I have to call shenanigans on the 20-25 on the PT thing.... the graded PT was out of 20 possible, wasn't it? Do you have Brett?

The PT is scored out of 20, but it is worth 1.5x of a normal essay, so it is essentially worth 30, right?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Maybe stupid, but what is the "Advanced Sales" outline? I read everything hardcopy and can't find it.

For me, it was in the Texas materials, volume 2. Under "S".

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Bustang wrote:Jesus - I'm in Texas, but I figured you need at least a 15 to be in good shape. I really do not know anything about how this sucker is graded.

There are a 1000 total points in Texas. MBE is worth a max of 400, essays are worth a max of 400. MPT and Texas short answer are 100 each. If there are 12 essays worth 33-ish points each, then doing well on the MBE plus 12-15 points on each essay would be more than enough, since you need 675 points to pass.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

I don't have Brett, but I think you multiply whatever you got on the PT by by 1.5, so you should be shooting for 13+/20, which multiplied by 1.5 gives you 20. As for the 120 raw, you should calculate it out of 190 since 10 out of the 200 don't count, so it really is closer to 63%.

I'm with you on the PA crap, there's just so much shit I have to remember. Because I should comfortably hit 75% complete by July 29 even if I only average 1% per day, I'm going to work on memorization most of the day, and do practice essays and mbe pqs for the rest of July. No more little bullshit Themis assignments for me.

Oh yeah. 1.5x. I got 17 on the PT, so I guess I'm ok there, but the essays are such a fucking drag.

I'm almost done with the independent subjects - I just have conflicts and professional responsibility left. Once I'm done with those, I'm doing the same as you... trying to memorize stuff.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:06 pm

Evidence set 1 (on interactive mode): 64%
Evidence set 2 (on test mode): 82%

Welp, done with interactive mode forever.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

TheBeard wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
GertrudePerkins wrote:Does anyone feel like the questions on the Milestone Exams feel a little easier than the MBE PQ sessions? Not that the material is any different or easier, just like there's less ambiguity in the questions and/or answer choices.

Or maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps the product of being more focused on the Milestone Exams.

Yeah, I thought Milestone 1 was slightly easier than the MBE PQs. Nothing substantial, but a couple fewer ambiguities. I thought there were fewer "I have no idea what I'm doing" questions, and more where I could narrow it to 2 and pick, even if I wound up with the wrong answer.

But it might've been focus, and might have been not doing it on interactive mode and having that fuck with my sense of when things are going well/poorly.

I stopped doing MBE PQs on interactive mode and my scores went up substantially. I think I carried the frustration of an incorrect answer to the next question.

Boyfriend took Themis last year and we suspected then and further suspect now that the MBE PQs you're assigned adjust for your skills. There's no point on giving you lots of practice questions on RAP if you're nailing it and missing all of the landlord/tenant questions, right? So it seemed to him last year and seems to me this year that issues I consistently have trouble with seem to be coming up more frequently on the practice questions.

But the Milestone was pretty much standardized, hence, it seemed a bit easier. It wasn't saturated with questions designed to be harder for YOU personally.

That's our theory, anyway.

And to those of you having video issues, I suspect the problem is with FlowPlayer. Things really are good on Themis's end-- but the FlowPlayer system is BS. I've been using an up-to-date version of Chrome the whole time and have had the same pause/refresh issue. In addition, I've clicked the video to pause a couple of times and been redirected to the FlowPlayer homepage (which is why I suspect the video provider might be the actual issue).

I used the LSE, UL and MPRE programs as a law student and I a) never noticed a FlowPlayer logo and b) didn't have this issue. Could be why Themis doesn't see a problem to fix.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 pm

SPOILER: TORTS MBE ALSO MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN POSTED
The police in the city notified local gas station attendants that a female robber recently had committed armed robberies at five city gas stations. The police said that the robber was approximately 75 years old, had white hair, and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. The attendants were advised to call police if they saw her, but not to attempt to apprehend her. Armed robbery is a felony under state law.
A traveler was passing through the city on a cross-country journey. The traveler was a 75-year-old woman who had white hair and drove a vintage, cream-colored Ford Thunderbird. When the traveler drove into a gas station owned by the attendant, the attendant thought the traveler must be the robber wanted by the police. After checking the oil at the traveler's request, the attendant falsely informed the traveler that she had a broken fan belt, that her car could not be driven without a new belt, that it would take him about an hour to replace it, and that she should stay in his office for consultation about the repair. The traveler was greatly annoyed that her journey was delayed, but she stayed in the attendant's office while she waited for her car. The attendant telephoned the police and, within the hour, the police came and questioned the traveler. The police immediately determined that the traveler was not the robber, and the traveler resumed her journey without further delay.
In the traveler's action for false imprisonment against the attendant, the traveler will
A. Not prevail, if the attendant reasonably believed that the traveler was the robber.
B. Not prevail, because the traveler suffered no physical or mental harm.
C. Prevail, if the traveler reasonably believed she could not leave the attendant's premises.
D. Prevail, because the attendant lied to the traveler about the condition of her car.
Incorrect: Answer choice A is correct. A private citizen is privileged to make an arrest in the case of a felony if a felony has in fact been committed and the arresting party has reasonable ground to suspect that the person being arrested committed it. Therefore, the attendant's restriction of the traveler's movement, based on his reasonable belief that she was the robber, was a privileged imprisonment. Answer choice B is incorrect because a plaintiff need not show actual damages to recover for false imprisonment. Answer choices C and D are incorrect because the attendant has a viable defense of privilege.

While I agree that the answer is correct, I do not think this is the best answer. The question asks about False imprisonment and the answer is about the rights of a citizens arrest. Answer choice B or C would have been better answers in my opinion. Although, I guess without more facts I should have realized that those two answers negated each other.

Got rocked on Torts MBE section 5, ughhhhh....

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:51 pm

I fucking hate Property. That is all.

Niddar

Postby Niddar » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:02 pm

I'm taking these milestones as an affirmation that I'm not braindead, as all of the practice sets and graded essays would lead me to believe.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 pm

43/50 on the Milestone. Perfect on Evidence and Crim Pro, one off on Crim Law and got drilled by contracts. I get real tired right around question 30. How the hell am I supposed to do 100 of these at a time, especially when I welp inside everytime I see a Property or ConLaw question.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 pm

43/50 on Milestone #2.

Oddly enough, I missed the most on Evidence, despite doing better than 90% on Evidence during practice MBE questions. Honestly not sure either how I'll survive an actual MBE ... I got way tired about halfway through.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”