iShotFirst

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby iShotFirst » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:17 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Spoiler-like, but not really...

From an evidence question set today:

A hit man was on trial for murder.
Well. That seems entirely appropriate to me.

His sister, with whom he lived, was called to testify regarding the hit man’s demeanor in the days preceding the killing. She testified that the hit man had been acting erratically and was unusually anxious in the days before the murder.
I suppose this could prove that he doesn't do this often - must not be a very good hit man. I wouldn't want my hit man to be so jumpy before a job.

I feel like reading this much into questions is an obvious sign that I need a break.

A very good hit man presumably wouldn't get caught and be on trial either, right? Or live with anyone, let alone a family member, clear liability in his chosen profession.

Should say "hitman wannabe"

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 pm

locusdelicti wrote:I run out of time on every single PT practice test. Every single one. I don't know if I'm taking too long to review the library materials or if I'm putting too much info in or what, but today was the graded one and I ran out of fucking time! GAH.

I hope the real deal isn't a super complicated situation with 3 cases to read and a bunch of statutes.

I suggest outlining the issues as you are doing the reading from the library. That way if you are running short on time you at least know the gist of what you're writing for the entire memo. Also, I highly suggest following the advice of reading the assignment, jumping to the library, and then jumping back to the file. Its so easy to pick out facts that are necessary from the file and blaze through the rest of the documents when, based on the relevant law provided in the library, you know what you're looking for.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Can anyone who has done commercial papers explain to me why Drawer's liability is secondary? I mean its really an insignificant question but it just does not make sense. If the Drawee is not liable unless he signed the instrument, and the Drawer is only secondary liable, then who is primary liable in the case of a draft? Seems to me that Drawer should also be primary liable like in a note... stupid UCC.

Joe Quincy

Postby Joe Quincy » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:02 pm

dsclaw wrote:Can anyone who has done commercial papers explain to me why Drawer's liability is secondary? I mean its really an insignificant question but it just does not make sense. If the Drawee is not liable unless he signed the instrument, and the Drawer is only secondary liable, then who is primary liable in the case of a draft? Seems to me that Drawer should also be primary liable like in a note... stupid UCC.

If the Drawer were primarily liable, you could seek payment from them first without presenting it to the Payor bank. This would destroy the purpose for writing a check but is how a Note works...the Drawer repays it. Think of a draft as an order for the Drawee bank to pay. They either accept and become primarily liable or reject and the Drawer remains secondarily liable to step in to pay by another means. There is no situation in which no one is liable but things must happen in this order or anytime you write a check they could show up at your house and demand you to cash it.

If the Drawee bank doesn't accept the check, then the Drawer's liability kicks in because they aren't yet discharged.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:47 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:I run out of time on every single PT practice test. Every single one. I don't know if I'm taking too long to review the library materials or if I'm putting too much info in or what, but today was the graded one and I ran out of fucking time! GAH.

I hope the real deal isn't a super complicated situation with 3 cases to read and a bunch of statutes.

I suggest outlining the issues as you are doing the reading from the library. That way if you are running short on time you at least know the gist of what you're writing for the entire memo. Also, I highly suggest following the advice of reading the assignment, jumping to the library, and then jumping back to the file. Its so easy to pick out facts that are necessary from the file and blaze through the rest of the documents when, based on the relevant law provided in the library, you know what you're looking for.

I do read the library first, and I do sort of outline as I go.... I just run out of time somewhere. I don't do elaborate outlining or anything like that. Most of my first 45 minutes is spent reading and taking brief notes on the cases. I think the problem is I change my mind about the outcome while I write.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
dsclaw wrote:Can anyone who has done commercial papers explain to me why Drawer's liability is secondary? I mean its really an insignificant question but it just does not make sense. If the Drawee is not liable unless he signed the instrument, and the Drawer is only secondary liable, then who is primary liable in the case of a draft? Seems to me that Drawer should also be primary liable like in a note... stupid UCC.

If the Drawer were primarily liable, you could seek payment from them first without presenting it to the Payor bank. This would destroy the purpose for writing a check but is how a Note works...the Drawer repays it. Think of a draft as an order for the Drawee bank to pay. They either accept and become primarily liable or reject and the Drawer remains secondarily liable to step in to pay by another means. There is no situation in which no one is liable but things must happen in this order or anytime you write a check they could show up at your house and demand you to cash it.

If the Drawee bank doesn't accept the check, then the Drawer's liability kicks in because they aren't yet discharged.

Quoted for truth. I took commercial paper 3L year - Drawer's liability doesn't kick in unless there is dishonor. Thus it is not primary.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

Alright, Themis is fucking with me. I just did a practice essay and a 7 chapter lecture that took 2.5 hours to complete. My percentage complete did not move. Are you kidding me? Is this how you to try to keep me under 75% complete?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Is anyone actually up to date on the schedule? That last email from "Emily" said that we were supposed to start Contracts this past Monday. If I'm lucky I will be starting them this weekend... If I'm not I'll be starting them NEXT Monday or later.

I sort of wish I started early, but that was hard to do considering I decided to take a trip to Costa Rica directly after graduation and came back the day before the "official" start date. I'm at 41% as I type this. I've been jumping around a bit on the Flex schedule, but for the most part, I've been on Direct Study. For me, it's almost impossible to keep up with everything, especially since I'm in the middle of moving apartments. The "review" tasks take me forever because I've been re-outlining to condense the ridiculously long bar outlines, and making flashcards. I almost died when I saw that the Civ Pro outline was 123 pages long...seriously, what the fuck!?

Does anyone use their outlines for the practice essays? I've just started to wean myself off of using the outlines as a crutch. Up until a couple days ago I was issue spotting on my own (for the most part), and then turning to the outlines for the rules. I still feel fairly weak on the substantive law in some areas...particularly areas I didn't take in law school. I just didn't think trying to do the essays when I didn't know what the hell I was doing was helping me.

Also, I've already had one emotional break-down. Worst summer ever.

Edited to add: I HATE Kagan's essay workshops. They are all extremely repetitive, and I don't feel like they have helped me past the first workshop.
Last edited by as stars burn on Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm

TheBeard wrote:Alright, Themis is fucking with me. I just did a practice essay and a 7 chapter lecture that took 2.5 hours to complete. My percentage complete did not move. Are you kidding me? Is this how you to try to keep me under 75% complete?

This has happened to me several times already. It seems the further you go the slower the percentage increase?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:26 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I had a question in property MBE today that literally filled up the entire computer screen. By the time I was done reading it there were so many properties transferring so many interests that I basically just guessed.

This. I hate Property SO MUCH. When I get an MBE question like this I waste precious time just trying to figure out what the hell is going on in the problem, and then usually don't get it right anyway. On the exam, if I see something like this I'm probably just going to guess, mark it, and come back to it if I have time. I'd spent 10 minutes on a question like this if I allowed myself.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:38 pm

dsclaw wrote:On average how much time do you guys spend on " Review Lectures, outlines, and handouts" assignments?
Is anyone actually re watching the lectures or re-reading the entire outlines?

I have been just reading over the questions I missed and the outlines...Seems it would be impossible to review all that material, especially when you have to review three subjects today. Ugh shoot me now. Woof.

Right now I'm working on condensing the bar outlines to manageable 10-20 pagers per subject. It usually takes me about 2 review tasks for me to have a subject's outline transcribed as my own outline depending on the length of the original. I intend to get these down even further as we inch closer to the exam, and I'm making flash cards for rules that are still hard for me to remember. That's it though. I don't look at the handouts at all after I fill them in from the lectures unless I need more clarification from the outline, and I definitely do not re-watch the lectures. I'm hoping that 2-3 weeks before the exam all my outlines will be condensed and flashcards made so I can just go through those for reviewing tasks.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 pm

dsclaw wrote:
TheBeard wrote:Alright, Themis is fucking with me. I just did a practice essay and a 7 chapter lecture that took 2.5 hours to complete. My percentage complete did not move. Are you kidding me? Is this how you to try to keep me under 75% complete?

This has happened to me several times already. It seems the further you go the slower the percentage increase?

Yeah, it's happened to me before, though never as flagrant as now.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 pm

as stars burn wrote:
dsclaw wrote:On average how much time do you guys spend on " Review Lectures, outlines, and handouts" assignments?
Is anyone actually re watching the lectures or re-reading the entire outlines?

I have been just reading over the questions I missed and the outlines...Seems it would be impossible to review all that material, especially when you have to review three subjects today. Ugh shoot me now. Woof.

Right now I'm working on condensing the bar outlines to manageable 10-20 pagers per subject. It usually takes me about 2 review tasks for me to have a subject's outline transcribed as my own outline depending on the length of the original. I intend to get these down even further as we inch closer to the exam, and I'm making flash cards for rules that are still hard for me to remember. That's it though. I don't look at the handouts at all after I fill them in from the lectures unless I need more clarification from the outline, and I definitely do not re-watch the lectures. I'm hoping that 2-3 weeks before the exam all my outlines will be condensed and flashcards made so I can just go through those for reviewing tasks.

I've found it helpful to copy/paste the Themis explanations into my outline; it covers a lot of holes.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:39 pm

NY taker here. Sitting at 47% done; just finishing CPLR, about to start Evidence. Either I'm behind or the Flex Study calendar is FUBAR. Won't even be starting Evidence MBE PQs until Tuesday according to the Flex Study calendar, but this second milestone is on Monday.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 pm

TheBeard wrote:
dsclaw wrote:

Yeah, it's happened to me before, though never as flagrant as now.

I've been noticing this as well. It's taking me several tasks to complete 1%. I'm at 46% now.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:43 pm

forza wrote:NY taker here. Sitting at 47% done; just finishing CPLR, about to start Evidence. Either I'm behind or the Flex Study calendar is FUBAR. Won't even be starting Evidence MBE PQs until Tuesday according to the Flex Study calendar, but this second milestone is on Monday.

I think you are behind, I am 2 days ahead (started 2 days early) and am at 55%

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:45 pm

For the third day in a row this week, I felt like I had been working for a long time and had done a bunch of things. Then I went to my Directed Study home screen and saw I had completed like 1/3 of the things Themis told me to do for the day. :|

Damn you, boring Corporations videos, for making me feel like I had been working for hours longer than I actually had!

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:28 pm

Fuck these percentages. I think each IL distinction video counts as much as a whole other topic, which is silly.

Apollo526

Postby Apollo526 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Can anyone please shed some light on the Practice MBE target scores (i.e., 50%)? Will that give me a passing score on the real MBE? Is it going to be raised in the coming weeks?

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:57 pm

Apollo526 wrote:Can anyone please shed some light on the Practice MBE target scores (i.e., 50%)? Will that give me a passing score on the real MBE? Is it going to be raised in the coming weeks?

I'm guessing it depends on your jurisdiction, but I highly doubt 50% is good enough anywhere. What I do know is that in one of the essay workshops for New Jersey, the lecturer suggested that you ought to aim for 120 correct out of 190 (63%) to pass that bar exam.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Bustang wrote:
I've been noticing this as well. It's taking me several tasks to complete 1%. I'm at 46% now.

Seriously, I think we're onto something because I'm also at 46%.

Apollo526

Postby Apollo526 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:01 pm

TheBeard wrote:I'm guessing it depends on your jurisdiction, but I highly doubt 50% is good enough anywhere. What I do know is that in one of the essay workshops for New Jersey, the lecturer suggested that you ought to aim for 120 correct out of 190 (63%) to pass that bar exam.

Thanks for your help. Does anyone have solid information for Texas?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 pm

TheBeard wrote:
Apollo526 wrote:Can anyone please shed some light on the Practice MBE target scores (i.e., 50%)? Will that give me a passing score on the real MBE? Is it going to be raised in the coming weeks?

I'm guessing it depends on your jurisdiction, but I highly doubt 50% is good enough anywhere. What I do know is that in one of the essay workshops for New Jersey, the lecturer suggested that you ought to aim for 120 correct out of 190 (63%) to pass that bar exam.

California's 2011 MBE raw to scale conversion: http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals ... 201107.pdf

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Apollo526 wrote:
TheBeard wrote:I'm guessing it depends on your jurisdiction, but I highly doubt 50% is good enough anywhere. What I do know is that in one of the essay workshops for New Jersey, the lecturer suggested that you ought to aim for 120 correct out of 190 (63%) to pass that bar exam.

Thanks for your help. Does anyone have solid information for Texas?

You need about 135 (scaled) on each section of the bar exam

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:47 pm

What percentage (of correct MBE answers) should we be at now? I don't think I would pass the MBE if I had to take it right today. I'm wondering if I should ditch some of these suggested activities and focus on the MBE's I've been missing, make flashcards for the rules I don't know or something.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”