Bikeflip

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Bikeflip wrote: Part of it is that I am over thinking the question. I've missed 4 evidence questions in a row, and I talked myself out of the correct answer of all 4.

I just did the same thing with six con law questions.

Had a minor meltdown on the phone with the bar support teacher from my law school. Her reminder advice was well worth keeping in mind...

...It's a test of minimum competency. If you're hitting the average, assuming 70% of people in your state pass you're still passing by a large margin. And you don't need to-- you need to pass at the 30th percentile, not the 50th.

Heh, the amusing thing is that I only missed 8 total. The test is a mind fuck that plays with your nerves. I'm just happy my "Themis break" may have paid off somewhat.

But point taken about shooting for the bottom. The kid who comes in the last passing place on the bar is still sworn in.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:42 pm

People with the essay concerns. I hope you know that you're paying them, not the other way around. Handing an essay in late doesn't matter. I waited until I learned the subjects better before I handed them in. I handed in essays 2, 3 and 4 in last night at like 8 and they were all waiting for me graded when I woke up this morning with comments. The dude date isn't a hard dude date.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Is anyone actually up to date on the schedule? That last email from "Emily" said that we were supposed to start Contracts this past Monday. If I'm lucky I will be starting them this weekend... If I'm not I'll be starting them NEXT Monday or later.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:33 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Is anyone actually up to date on the schedule? That last email from "Emily" said that we were supposed to start Contracts this past Monday. If I'm lucky I will be starting them this weekend... If I'm not I'll be starting them NEXT Monday or later.

I'm done with the MBE lectures. Still have Trusts, Estates, Secured Transactions, and "Not UCC 2."

At 40%.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 pm

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
TheBeard wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to email him. I don't think the MBE can be more important since PA weighs the essays and MBEs at 55% and 45% respectively.

Right. But that 55% includes the PT. Not that I know of that makes any difference. I am incredibly confused by how the score is calculated.

Yeah, me too.

Makes me feel dumb. Which nobody really needs right now. Pity.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Cohen for NY CPLR is TTT. Come on, Harvard.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:03 am

TheBeard wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
I am taking PA. I have no idea what we need to get on essays. I know the PT counts for 1.5x the points as one essay answer, so doing well on that will help, but as far as how much we need to get right on the essays to pass combined with MBE? No idea. I do know from previous bar exams that MBE is more important than essays.... I just don't know why, because I am very shitty at understanding that kind of math. Scaling and scoring and whatnot.

I bet you could ask Kevin Frost.

Yeah, I'm going to email him. I don't think the MBE can be more important since PA weighs the essays and MBEs at 55% and 45% respectively.

My grader said "You need 12 out of 20 points for a passing grade". Also I think Kevin reads this thread.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:39 am

I will never be good at MBE Property. There, I said it. I can sleep peacefully.

jerwood84

Postby jerwood84 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 am

45%. Finished Trusts lecture today after finishing contracts. But I'm speeding ahead because lectures and outline reading doesn't stick with me. I'm writing rule statements and focussing on the MBE and essay practices. Sitting and listening is a waste for me.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:44 am

NY conflict of laws lectures are 36/37 minutes long. What the shit??

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:59 am

HETPE3B wrote:NY conflict of laws lectures are 36/37 minutes long. What the shit??

Isn't that unconstitutional?

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:00 am

Bedsole wrote:
TheBeard wrote:

My grader said "You need 12 out of 20 points for a passing grade". Also I think Kevin reads this thread.

Really? KEVIN FROST, IS THAT YOU? HOW DO WE PASS THIS BITCH?

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am

locusdelicti wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:NY conflict of laws lectures are 36/37 minutes long. What the shit??

Isn't that unconstitutional?

as cruel and unusual punishment

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 am

You know, I'm honestly not sure whether its worse to have ten 36 minute lectures or twenty 13 minute lectures. When I look at those twenty lectures on my to-do list, I cry inside. When I see ten lectures, even if they're hella long, I don't know that yet. At least I have my ignorance for a little while.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 am

elysiansmiles wrote:

You know, I'm honestly not sure whether its worse to have ten 36 minute lectures or twenty 13 minute lectures. When I look at those twenty lectures on my to-do list, I cry inside. When I see ten lectures, even if they're hella long, I don't know that yet. At least I have my ignorance for a little while.

I think Themis counts the number of lectures, ignoring their length, for the purposes of determining the % of course complete. :mrgreen:

lionelhutz123

Postby lionelhutz123 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:23 am

Any of you Themis bros know why my why my beloved 2x speed just crapped out? There is no way I'm sitting through 30 minute corporations lectures without it...

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm

lionelhutz123 wrote:Any of you Themis bros know why my why my beloved 2x speed just crapped out? There is no way I'm sitting through 30 minute corporations lectures without it...

That happened to me, so I just switched browsers.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Bedsole wrote:
lionelhutz123 wrote:Any of you Themis bros know why my why my beloved 2x speed just crapped out? There is no way I'm sitting through 30 minute corporations lectures without it...

In my experience the video sometimes loads wrong. Refreshing works sometimes, and if not, the next video generally speeds up correctly.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

In my experience the video sometimes loads wrong. Refreshing works sometimes, and if not, the next video generally speeds up correctly.

This. Just F5 it. Works for me every time.

lionelhutz123

Postby lionelhutz123 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 pm

HETPE3B wrote:
Catleesi wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

This. Just F5 it. Works for me every time.

None of this works for me, fellow Themis Bros. Changing browsers, refresh, computer restart, internet restart, etc.

Is there a way to fast forward the iPad app lectures? Those aren't internet contingent because they're downloaded files, but I haven't been able to find a command for it.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 pm

lionelhutz123 wrote:None of this works for me, fellow Themis Bros. Changing browsers, refresh, computer restart, internet restart, etc.

Is there a way to fast forward the iPad app lectures? Those aren't internet contingent because they're downloaded files, but I haven't been able to find a command for it.

Do you have your cursor over the video when you're trying to speed it up?

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:56 pm

I run out of time on every single PT practice test. Every single one. I don't know if I'm taking too long to review the library materials or if I'm putting too much info in or what, but today was the graded one and I ran out of fucking time! GAH.

I hope the real deal isn't a super complicated situation with 3 cases to read and a bunch of statutes.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 pm

locusdelicti wrote:I run out of time on every single PT practice test. Every single one. I don't know if I'm taking too long to review the library materials or if I'm putting too much info in or what, but today was the graded one and I ran out of fucking time! GAH.

I hope the real deal isn't a super complicated situation with 3 cases to read and a bunch of statutes.

Do you try to measure out 45 minutes to plan and 45 minutes to write? If you do that, you can see which part of the process is taking up too much time and adjust accordingly.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Bedsole wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:I run out of time on every single PT practice test. Every single one. I don't know if I'm taking too long to review the library materials or if I'm putting too much info in or what, but today was the graded one and I ran out of fucking time! GAH.

Do you try to measure out 45 minutes to plan and 45 minutes to write? If you do that, you can see which part of the process is taking up too much time and adjust accordingly.

I do. It's a combination thereof. I just don't want to miss something in the case, so I read it a few times and write shit down. I tend to drift when reading case law, so I need to take extra care.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Spoiler-like, but not really...

From an evidence question set today:

A hit man was on trial for murder.
Well. That seems entirely appropriate to me.

His sister, with whom he lived, was called to testify regarding the hit man’s demeanor in the days preceding the killing. She testified that the hit man had been acting erratically and was unusually anxious in the days before the murder.
I suppose this could prove that he doesn't do this often - must not be a very good hit man. I wouldn't want my hit man to be so jumpy before a job.

I feel like reading this much into questions is an obvious sign that I need a break.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”