Bikeflip

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm

missinglink wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:The Supreme Court's decision on Monday in Salinas v. Texas has changed things regarding using silence against a criminal defendant. Are we to apply it to our answers, or no? Anybody know?

Themis?

Was wondering same thing about other upcoming decisions that are likely to change the current law (gay marriage, affirmative action).

Do bar examiners simply avoid asking questions in these areas or are they fair game?

I find it impossible to believe that we have to incorporate law that just came down. Questions and answers to bar questions have already been written and vetted. To just change an answer at this point to incorporate new law seems impossible.

It also seems like the bar, if it wants to be a test of minimal competency, would want to avoid controversial or new subjects. Controversial or new subjects can be highly nuanced, possibly to the point that the graders themselves cannot either 1. agree on the correct answer or 2. do not know the answer.

In contrast, asking questions about the elements of larceny by deceit are easier to test because that crime's elements are more generally agreed upon.

Eruannon

Postby Eruannon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:55 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
geekrocker37 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I take one day a week completely off. Its how I did it all through LS and it just works for me. Today is that day. I'm playing Dishonored and watching game 7 of the NBA playoffs.

I have Dishonored waiting for me as my next study break videogame.

Its pretty damn good so far, though I dont use it as a study break game simply because its pointless to play if you have less than an hour at a time. Depending on how long you make your breaks it may be annoying to just pause or save in the middle of missions. My brain is fried, I'm at 26% which I am fine with, and I will be playing a LOT of video games today.

Same here, Crusader Kings II coming out is really not helping my studying efforts.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 pm

JD_done wrote:Is anybody else having days when you just can't get motivated to do anything and have to force your way through it? I'm at the point today where "you only want to have to do it once" means nothing to me. I started early and am at 30%... makes me want to just stop. -_-

How do you motivate yourself when all you want to do is sleep?

I've had several days like this. I take a break, go for a run, see some friends or just get out and run some errands for a change of scenery. I think the break clears my head and I can go back to studying. I also end some days early if I just can't focus. there's no point trying to cram the info into my head if it's just not happening. I try and study extra hours on days I feel very focused and energized.
I also take a full day off each week.
That being said, I haven't passed or taken a bar exam yet so take it for what it's worth.

Same here. I figure this is a marathon, not a sprint. After the 4th of July, I'm going to minimize the days off.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:32 pm

missinglink wrote:
I find it impossible to believe that we have to incorporate law that just came down. Questions and answers to bar questions have already been written and vetted. To just change an answer at this point to incorporate new law seems impossible.

Agreed. We're already having to incorporate changes in the law that have happened since we began law school (or at least my torts class didn't cover the newest Restatement)-- I don't think they'd throw June S.Ct. decisions at us as well.

memaha

Postby memaha » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm

Catleesi wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Agreed. We're already having to incorporate changes in the law that have happened since we began law school (or at least my torts class didn't cover the newest Restatement)-- I don't think they'd throw June S.Ct. decisions at us as well.

I remember seeing something in my NY family law handouts about the DOMA case (or maybe wills, regarding same-sex partners) and how it was likely to come down before we sit for the bar, and that we would NOT be required to know/apply the holding. So I would assume it would be the same for other cases that are coming down right now.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Are any of you actually working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week? Screw that, I'd explode by July 04.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:50 pm

kalvano wrote:Are any of you actually working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week? Screw that, I'd explode by July 04.

My schedule varies, but it tends to look like this:
M-- 8
T-- 10
W--10
H-- 10
F-- 6
S-- 0
Su--2-4

I didn't study before law school and I got up to the study ethic of a first year by my third. I don't have the focus for 8x7. Maybe by July.

jerwood84

Postby jerwood84 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 pm

How far along should we be. I'm at 31 percent but I started out guns-a-blazing and now I'm losing steam. I think Evidence (prof Clark) was the worst set of lectures I have ever listened to. I can't listen to them. I can't fill out and read hand outs. The only thing that helps me is writing down the elements of the law and memorizing the elements by quizzing myself. For me the MBE Q's and practice Essays is where the learning happens. I have to learn by doing... I can't listen or read for shit. It's a waste of time.

Also, I think these national averages are made up. Complete fabrications made by Themis. There is no explanation on where these figures are coming from. I don't trust them.... or anyone for that matter.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

I average between 6-8 hours of actual studying (not counting breaks) 6 days a week. I usually take a 20 minutes break every 3-4 lectures or after every essay/MBE thats 60 mins.

Niddar

Postby Niddar » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:51 pm

TheBeard wrote:Soooo, my answer to the graded essay (New Jersey torts) matched Themis' model answer very closely as to two out of the three major issues. I ran out of time on the third issue, so I understand why I would not get 4+ out of 6, but to get a 2.5 out of 6 where I covered everything on the checklist and matched their model answer? No helpful feedback as to why I scored so low other than I blended some rules and analysis to avoid having a 10 sentence rule on negligence for children. I get it, you're going to grade harder than the graders will (have you seen the model answers for NJ?), but come on, let me get something helpful out of it.

Sorry, rant of the day for me.

I'm taking NJ as well and did this essay too. I thought my essay stacked up nicely compared to the sample essay and at worst was a 4/6, instead of the 2/6 that I was given. I think they do grade them harder. The only thing I don't get is they keep bashing my organization of the answer, but I'm following the stupid fucking "TRAC" system to the letter.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Watching NY civ pro lectures is like fighting a sleeping pill... Somebody kill me

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Niddar wrote:
TheBeard wrote:Soooo, my answer to the graded essay (New Jersey torts) matched Themis' model answer very closely as to two out of the three major issues. I ran out of time on the third issue, so I understand why I would not get 4+ out of 6, but to get a 2.5 out of 6 where I covered everything on the checklist and matched their model answer? No helpful feedback as to why I scored so low other than I blended some rules and analysis to avoid having a 10 sentence rule on negligence for children. I get it, you're going to grade harder than the graders will (have you seen the model answers for NJ?), but come on, let me get something helpful out of it.

Sorry, rant of the day for me.

I'm taking NJ as well and did this essay too. I thought my essay stacked up nicely compared to the sample essay and at worst was a 4/6, instead of the 2/6 that I was given. I think they do grade them harder. The only thing I don't get is they keep bashing my organization of the answer, but I'm following the stupid fucking "TRAC" system to the letter.

Yeah, I read in another thread that bar prep companies grade essays harder to keep you scared and studying. I really don't need the motivation because potentially losing my job is enough for me to bust my ass. I'm much more interested in finding out if I'm at a passing level or not.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Anyone very close to the directed study location know what percent you are at?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Catleesi wrote:
kalvano wrote:Are any of you actually working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week? Screw that, I'd explode by July 04.

My schedule varies, but it tends to look like this:
M-- 8
T-- 10
W--10
H-- 10
F-- 6
S-- 0
Su--2-4

I didn't study before law school and I got up to the study ethic of a first year by my third. I don't have the focus for 8x7. Maybe by July.

To me this is a LOT. I put in a few hours a day, and most of those are with TV on in the background...

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone very close to the directed study location know what percent you are at?

31%

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone very close to the directed study location know what percent you are at?

34%. Started the week after the recommended start date. My friend started a week before me, she's at 40% on the directed study plan.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 pm

I wish we could see how far along we are on learning new material as opposed to reviewing. Pretty sure I'm starting to forget what I learned first.

EDIT: I guess the % of lectures complete would be the best proxy for that

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm in the high 30s % complete.

kmap

Postby kmap » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Prof. Serkin is dreeeeamy. That's all I have to say.

geekrocker37

Postby geekrocker37 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm at 40% right now on PA/NJ. I feel like I could easily pass the MBE, but I know nothing about the state essays. Insane PA civil procedure stuff.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:33 pm

geekrocker37 wrote:I'm at 40% right now on PA/NJ. I feel like I could easily pass the MBE, but I know nothing about the state essays. Insane PA civil procedure stuff.

YES. That PA civil procedure lecture with the Widener professor was brutal.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:50 pm

NY Bar Taker here. I am at 43%, just did Federal Procedure absolutely brutal even at 1.5X.

Of course I took a job offer where they want me to work July 15, so need to get ahead.

I can say its getting harder to actually Review the subject matter when it says review, getting bored...

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I'm at 31%

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm just trying to figure out what on track is.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Ugh, bombed that property question set. I think I'm getting worse at property.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”