GertrudePerkins

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:33 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Graded essay response says "Good analysis, but the dormant commerce clause is not really at issue here. Check the model answer."

*Checks Model Answer*

Dude spent 2 paragraphs analyzing the dormant commerce clause.

Awesome... :?
In the feedback to my graded property question, the grader suggested I should've considered an IIED claim. Now, I understand that real essay questions will cut across multiple subject areas, but there was NOTHING in that fact pattern that rose to the level of IIED. And, as in your case, nothing in the model answer suggested IIED.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Yay biz orgs (Agency, Corps and Partnership). I don't suck at you.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:23 pm

My directed study thing hasn't updaded at all from yesterday. It is thus showing that all I need to do today is review torts, despite the fact that I'm at least 10% complete behind.

NY peeps: I should be going into the property outline/videos after torts distinctions is finished, right?

Edit: Never mind. Weekly view, d'oh.
Last edited by mrloblaw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I think I'm going to fill out the evidence handouts on my own. I already know most of this anyway, and I really can't handle how boring this dude is.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Barkow kinda looks like Lacey Chabert from Party of Five.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I think I'm going to fill out the evidence handouts on my own. I already know most of this anyway, and I really can't handle how boring this dude is.

Are you running at 2x? This has solved the boredom issues for me on my lectures.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:13 pm

Speaking as someone who has a a strange liking of fed jurisdiction and civ pro, the PA Civil procedure lectures are by far the most boring lectures I have ever encountered. I'm not at property yet and I know a few people here said property was gonna be pretty bad but I cant see it being worse than this.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:30 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Speaking as someone who has a a strange liking of fed jurisdiction and civ pro, the PA Civil procedure lectures are by far the most boring lectures I have ever encountered. I'm not at property yet and I know a few people here said property was gonna be pretty bad but I cant see it being worse than this.

The PA civ pro lectures drained the life out of me. I couldn't wait for them to be over. I thought if I heard that clown say "prothonotary" one more time I was going to destroy my laptop with my teeth.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Is it just me, or were the first 17 Property MBE questions impossible?

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:21 pm

balzie94 wrote:Is it just me, or were the first 17 Property MBE questions impossible?

Absolutely impossible.

I went from scoring 70% to 44% today. Feels bad, man.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:54 pm

I find Property Moby really amusing.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:57 pm

kalvano wrote:I find Property Moby really amusing.

There's something pathetic about him, but likeable. I just wish he didn't ramble so much. Glad it's over.

Re: Property MBE practice Qs - the first set sucked bad. I felt dumb as hell afterward. But notice that the national average for property is the lowest out of all the subjects. Everyone hates property.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:55 pm

balzie94 wrote:Is it just me, or were the first 17 Property MBE questions impossible?

A lot of UCC, contract, and property overlap. With that said, I've noticed that if you log out and log back in while doing MBE questions, you start with a new question, not the question you were on.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:42 am

SPOILER ALERT: criminal law practice essay #1

Model Answer wrote:Even if Joe’s actions were deemed reasonable under the circumstances, Joe did not attempt to retreat in any fashion. In order to avoid the duty to retreat, Joe must have been in a position where he could not have retreated to complete safety. At the time of the incident, Joe was in a parking lot getting into his car. Neither the lot nor the vehicle are places to which he could retreat with complete safety. Thus, Joe is likely to be successful in raising the justification defense.

lolwut at the bolded? Dude was in a parking lot getting in his car and had people running at him from across the lot. New York imposes a duty to retreat if it can be done safely. Start the car and drive off, bro. That's safe. Not sure how his only option was to get in the glove compartment, retrieve his gun, and fire at the guys running toward him.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:51 am

Bikeflip wrote:Yay biz orgs (Agency, Corps and Partnership). I don't suck at you.

+1

Nice change of pace from getting rocked on every other essay topic

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:54 am

forza wrote:SPOILER ALERT: criminal law practice essay #1

Model Answer wrote:Even if Joe’s actions were deemed reasonable under the circumstances, Joe did not attempt to retreat in any fashion. In order to avoid the duty to retreat, Joe must have been in a position where he could not have retreated to complete safety. At the time of the incident, Joe was in a parking lot getting into his car. Neither the lot nor the vehicle are places to which he could retreat with complete safety. Thus, Joe is likely to be successful in raising the justification defense.

lolwut at the bolded? Dude was in a parking lot getting in his car and had people running at him from across the lot. New York imposes a duty to retreat if it can be done safely. Start the car and drive off, bro. That's safe. Not sure how his only option was to get in the glove compartment, retrieve his gun, and fire at the guys running toward him.

Texas laughs at your "duty to retreat".

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 am

Bikeflip wrote:

A lot of UCC, contract, and property overlap. With that said, I've noticed that if you log out and log back in while doing MBE questions, you start with a new question, not the question you were on.

Been there, done that. But the question will eventually come back to haunt you MUAHAHA...

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Hey, we got little mini reviews in our My Communications for torts, con law and property. I haven't looked at them yet, but I've been wishing for some condensed material.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Been studying consumer rights all of this morning. Goal: Not suck on my graded consumer rights essay. Will report back.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Taking Consumer Law proved very helpful for that essay.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm

CaliBum wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

Been there, done that. But the question will eventually come back to haunt you MUAHAHA...

Ah. I haven't paid that much attention. I've just noticed that I had a new question. Will the old question cycle through the same set?

locusdelicti wrote:Hey, we got little mini reviews in our My Communications for torts, con law and property. I haven't looked at them yet, but I've been wishing for some condensed material.

I'm grateful for these condensed outlines, but I feel kinda silly for making my own from the handout. Oh well, I know not to make anymore condensed outlines.

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Ah. I haven't paid that much attention. I've just noticed that I had a new question. Will the old question cycle through the same set?

It is possible. I messed up a practice set where I went back to redo it and I got only some of the same ones in that set and then the rest of them in another. You will eventually get all of them, because Themis only has a limited bank of questions to choose from.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:Hey, we got little mini reviews in our My Communications for torts, con law and property. I haven't looked at them yet, but I've been wishing for some condensed material.

I'm grateful for these condensed outlines, but I feel kinda silly for making my own from the handout. Oh well, I know not to make anymore condensed outlines.

These are good for review, but I think making your own outlines is still good to do. It's the act of making them that helps, not just having them. Typing out all the rules of law helps you remember them. Then you can refresh your memory with these little mini ones.

I'm going to continue outlining.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:38 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

These are good for review, but I think making your own outlines is still good to do. It's the act of making them that helps, not just having them. Typing out all the rules of law helps you remember them. Then you can refresh your memory with these little mini ones.

It's different for everyone. I memorize best when I audibly teach myself. I tend to zone out when I just write out rules, but I can't zone out when I'm speaking.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:

It's different for everyone. I memorize best when I audibly teach myself. I tend to zone out when I just write out rules, but I can't zone out when I'm speaking.

It is different for everyone, true. Sometimes I tell the rules of law to my dog. I also had some success doing flashcards with my husband, but I still forgot some of that, too. It's just repetition that I need, I guess.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”