Gatriel

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Gatriel » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 pm

A 142 on the MBE is passing with 20+ questions to spare.

Enjoy your swearing in, counselor.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:00 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:So wait what Themis MBE questions are not actually real MBE questions? What the hell…

If I'm getting 70-75% of Themis MBE questions right is that good enough? Are the Themis Q's harder, easier, different than the real questions? Kinda losing it over here so if anyone knows please be kind enough to respond.

Looks like it says "MBE-type questions"

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:45 pm

superflush wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:So wait what Themis MBE questions are not actually real MBE questions? What the hell…

If I'm getting 70-75% of Themis MBE questions right is that good enough? Are the Themis Q's harder, easier, different than the real questions? Kinda losing it over here so if anyone knows please be kind enough to respond.

Looks like it says "MBE-type questions"

Can't speak to Themis specifically, but if it is like BarBri or Kaplan you are dealing with hypothetical questions styled after actual MBE questions, but not verbatim recycled NCBE questions unless they are specifically designated as such. From what I have learned, you can't really match the difficulty or approach of the bar prep companies' questions with the MBE, and therefore can't say precisely "oh I achieved X on the full-day final exam so I will get A and B on the real thing. I look at it as a rough approximation at best. I think it's more accurate to look at the hundreds, maybe thousand, of questions you completed as teaching hypos that test the various ways the MBE will ask you about a topic. The NCBE can test in only so many ways about trespass to land. All the test prep companies are trying to get you to do is minimize your risk of getting questions wrong by exposing you to so many fact patterns and exceptions and exceptions to exceptions. They are helping you to play the odds that we get asked hypos where we say "Oh I saw this in Themis, Barbri, Kaplan, etc" and have no problem at all. That doesn't help anyone, however, when they decide to test subject materials the prep companies either a) don't cover at all (see portions of Con Law) or b) test something in more depth than they covered (see certain portions of Real Property).

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Themiss questions are a good representation. My percentages were saying is get over 150 and I atleast got a 145 or better.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:41 am

Some are official and some are representative. Either way, they are more than adequate.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Thanks I am now calm. How bad would I have to fuck the essays to fail with a 150 MBE? Last P test I did I was about 80% but lets assume I don't do that well and end up with a 150 scale? I haven't even started to study some of the essay topics and the test is Tuesday.

What state. In a 50% mbe state you almost can't fail if you good faith attempt the writing.

Prioritize the essay topics. Don't worry about stuff that is rarely tested.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Thanks I am now calm. How bad would I have to fuck the essays to fail with a 150 MBE? Last P test I did I was about 80% but lets assume I don't do that well and end up with a 150 scale? I haven't even started to study some of the essay topics and the test is Tuesday.

What state. In a 50% mbe state you almost can't fail if you good faith attempt the writing.

Prioritize the essay topics. Don't worry about stuff that is rarely tested.

This. On the July UBE, I completely fucked up the Estates question and messed up my analysis on the Civ Pro question (which sucked. Nerves). Between the MBE & the MPT, you know what 70% of the guaranteed bar subjects. Add in the MBE essay questions, and know betweem 80 to 90% of what the bar will consist of.

Just looking at the UBE stuff above, here's a broad MEE only category breakdown:

Civ Pro: 4 essays
Agency/Partnership: 3.5 essays
Estates: 3 essays
Corps: 2 essays
Secured transactions: 1 essay
Negotiable Instruments: 1 essay
Commercial Paper: 1 essay
Family Law: 1 essay
Trusts: 1 essay

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Some are official and some are representative. Either way, they are more than adequate.

So, they probably have the same bank of NCBE released ones that everyone else has, but supplement more by creating their own. Is that what they are doing?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:22 pm

superflush wrote:
kalvano wrote:Some are official and some are representative. Either way, they are more than adequate.

So, they probably have the same bank of NCBE released ones that everyone else has, but supplement more by creating their own. Is that what they are doing?

Yeah, pretty much. It's more than adequate.

credence023

Postby credence023 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Does anyone have a short (20 pages max) NY professional responsibility outline that they are willing to share? PM me. I thought the NY professional responsibility lectures were horrible. The handout wasn't helpful either. Thanks in advance.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:13 pm

credence023

Postby credence023 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:45 am

Good luck everyone. I'll see you all on the other side.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Good luck all.

Nervous as all get out. I figure it will subside tomorrow.

IMHIPP

Postby IMHIPP » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:11 pm

The MEE wasn't as bad as I was expecting, which probably means that I missed a ton of issues and bombed.

Breakdown: (1) Constitutional law (regulatory takings and exactions), (2) trusts (allocation of receipts and disclaimer), (3) secured transactions (priority and purchasers), (4) civil procedure (work product and discovery), (5) criminal procedure (DJC, In re Winship, and Apprendi), and (6) partnerships (general partnerships and mother fucking LLPs).

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
IMHIPP wrote:The MEE wasn't as bad as I was expecting, which probably means that I missed a ton of issues and bombed.

Breakdown: (1) Constitutional law (regulatory takings and exactions), (2) trusts (allocation of receipts and disclaimer), (3) secured transactions (priority and purchasers), (4) civil procedure (work product and discovery), (5) criminal procedure (DJC, In re Winship, and Apprendi), and (6) partnerships (general partnerships and mother fucking LLPs).

I ate shit on this test. Def didn't study enough. Was told by everyone civ pro would only be jurisdiction or removal. Ate shit on discovery. Probably got the conclusion right but had no idea what the law was. Only thing I knew about regulatory takings was that it was hardly ever happens unless the property actually has no value. Just said there was no compensation, but now that I think about it you don't have to compensate for a regulatory taking. So that's wrong. Other part was a taking through easement? Is that called an exaction? Fuck me. I never studied secured transactions so that went as expected. Never studied trusts either.. told myself there would only be one of the subjects I hadn't studied..

Only thing I got right was crime pro and a few things on the partnerships essay. Also the first MPT was weird. Was an appeal but didn't make clear what the record was.. ok.

Need to kill MBE tomorrow.

Look forward not back. Keep moving bro.

IMHIPP

Postby IMHIPP » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:26 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
I ate shit on this test. Def didn't study enough. Was told by everyone civ pro would only be jurisdiction or removal. Ate shit on discovery. Probably got the conclusion right but had no idea what the law was. Only thing I knew about regulatory takings was that it was hardly ever happens unless the property actually has no value. Just said there was no compensation, but now that I think about it you don't have to compensate for a regulatory taking. So that's wrong. Other part was a taking through easement? Is that called an exaction? Fuck me. I never studied secured transactions so that went as expected. Never studied trusts either.. told myself there would only be one of the subjects I hadn't studied..

Only thing I got right was crime pro and a few things on the partnerships essay. Also the first MPT was weird. Was an appeal but didn't make clear what the record was.. ok.

Need to kill MBE tomorrow.

Yeah, the con law professor for Themis did a shitty job on regulatory takings. Basically no coverage in the lectures and it's kind of a hard area to test with multiple choice, so there weren't a lot of MBE questions. I never understood why the handouts contained so much of their unhelpful, bullshit generalizations when they could have put down the actual rules in the same amount of space.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:10 pm

I think being an attorney fucked me for that first MPT today.

I got extremely caught up on trying to figure out what the record was for the first hearing with the officer. I started to argue the affidavit against itself until I started running out of time and just threw in other new evidence as factors to show good faith.

For the second part of the first MPT, I had about 10 minutes and just threw facts from the cases and tried to analogize with as many facts as I could. I made persuasive arguments but I was not very well organized and I did not use the statutes, only used them through the cases.

I don't think I completely shit the bed but I don't think I got a 6.

I think MEE was way easier than MPT today.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawdawg09

Postby lawdawg09 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Yeah, the MEE was a bit wild. I definitely made an educated guess on each essay. Themis was pretty much useless. The only thing I found helpful was all of the past essays.

I used adaptibar cause I felt the themis mbes sucked. We will see what happens tomorrow.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”