kalvano

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:03 pm

fathergoose wrote:Passed TX. Themis was the shit, so glad I did it and not Barbri.

+1000000.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Here to echo the Themis gods. And to pray to them to make me pass the MPRE with minimal prep this Saturday.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Passed in Maryland, thanks be to Themis!

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Got New Jersey passing results today. So Themis helped me pass PA and NJ. Thanks again, Themis. Little ones out there reading this: Don't waste your money on Barbri.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 am

locusdelicti wrote:Got New Jersey passing results today. So Themis helped me pass PA and NJ. Thanks again, Themis. Little ones out there reading this: Don't waste your money on Barbri.

TITCR. Same and Themis worked well at 1/3 the price

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:52 am

Passed NY and NJ. Don't waste your time on that overpriced peice of BarBri shit. Don't be a risk averse aspie.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:49 pm

How much did you spend on Themis? I'll be working full-time during bar prep and won't be able to utilize 60% of barbri's material. Thinking about Themis. Can anyone tell me how the process works from signing up to exam day?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:57 pm

Give them money, they give you a recommended schedule. I paid about $1200, and they tell you what to study and when.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Signing up and using Themis is pretty painless. I got Themis for $999 through their non-profit discount. You pay them, and they give you books & a password to their website. During May/June you "learn" by watching videos (on 2X speed) & by doing practice problems. During July you focus on weaknesses by doing practice problems. Like Kalvano said, they give you a recommended schedule: You can either try to follow it as best you can, or you can use it as a guide.

For me, it's all about the practice problems. Yeah, making outlines and what have you is important, but I found a bunch of my prep outside of practice problems was busy work. If you average 30 problems a day and 2 essays a day, you're doing great. (assume 60 days of prep x 30 questions = 1,800 questions & 60 days of prep by 2 essays = 120 essays). Obviously review each and every question, and take note of things you keep getting wrong. Themis will actually track your errors, which was a big help in focusing on my problem areas (e.g. all of property).

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks for the input. I see the sticker price is $1500, how can a poor bastard like myself get in on the $995 rate?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:46 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Thanks for the input. I see the sticker price is $1500, how can a poor bastard like myself get in on the $995 rate?

The $995 is generally for public interest folks. Is that you?

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Bedsole wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:Thanks for the input. I see the sticker price is $1500, how can a poor bastard like myself get in on the $995 rate?

Sure, but I don't have signed job offer saying so. Will they accept other forms of PI commitment? I'm actually running for office, do you think that will suffice?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Sure, but I don't have signed job offer saying so. Will they accept other forms of PI commitment? I'm actually running for office, do you think that will suffice?

I didn't have an offer, and I got it. Looking at their webpage now, there's not a ton of info for you: http://themisbar.freshdesk.com/support/ ... -discount-

Bug a student rep? Sorry I can't be more helpful, bro.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the input. I put a call out to our Themis Rep on our SBA Facebook page. Hopefully I'll know soon. I'm trying to budget my next few pay checks accordingly.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:23 pm

If you can't get the PI price, the $1200 was just a sale that they do pretty regularly. You can probably get it if you just ask a rep for it.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:33 pm

kalvano wrote:If you can't get the PI price, the $1200 was just a sale that they do pretty regularly. You can probably get it if you just ask a rep for it.

Contact the actual rep (not a student). Just ask for the lowest price and say you'll pay asap. They'll also offer this in the spring. I just said I know you will charge $1,200 - just give me that and I'll sign up

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:24 pm

FWIW I paid less than a grand in Texas without any sort of public interest thing. I haggled pretty hard and I think that is legitimately as low as they'll go. I think posters above are right, contact the actual rep for your state and tell them your predicament and I bet you'll get at least the 1200 if not lower.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Also I worked full time through the beginning of July but I would tell you 1000x times over that you should take off work from July 4th through the bar. Those 3+ weeks are the most important part of bar preparation and you are seriously taking a risk if you decide to work at all, much less full time during that stretch.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:30 pm

fathergoose wrote:FWIW I paid less than a grand in Texas without any sort of public interest thing. I haggled pretty hard and I think that is legitimately as low as they'll go. I think posters above are right, contact the actual rep for your state and tell them your predicament and I bet you'll get at least the 1200 if not lower.

good point. I paid $1,200(ish) for 2 states. Not sure what one state would cost, but I'd guess below $1,000.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

fathergoose wrote:Also I worked full time through the beginning of July but I would tell you 1000x times over that you should take off work from July 4th through the bar. Those 3+ weeks are the most important part of bar preparation and you are seriously taking a risk if you decide to work at all, much less full time during that stretch.

I'm actually taking it this February. I'm hoping to get in at least five hours a day, working from 7-4, studying from 4-9, and weekends. I've already requested two weeks off prior to the exam from my current employer, however an additional week wouldn't be a problem. I have a family and must work. Themis sounds like a straight forward program for grownups, that's what interested me, along with price and the great things you guys have said. :o

rock steady

Postby rock steady » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:16 am

If you're an independent studier, definitely take Themis. I preferred to study alone and not be around other bar examinees so Themis was the right fit for me.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm

rock steady wrote:If you're an independent studier, definitely take Themis. I preferred to study alone and not be around other bar examinees so Themis was the right fit for me.

Good input. Throughout nine semesters of school (part-time), I can count on three fingers how many times I've studied in a group. Although, initially I was going to pair up with an alum who failed twice before (I figured the experience would be insightful), I don't think I have time to stay on top of someone else. I'm actually looking forward going into hibernated solo study-mode!

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:45 am

LAWYER2 wrote:
fathergoose wrote:Also I worked full time through the beginning of July but I would tell you 1000x times over that you should take off work from July 4th through the bar. Those 3+ weeks are the most important part of bar preparation and you are seriously taking a risk if you decide to work at all, much less full time during that stretch.

I'm actually taking it this February. I'm hoping to get in at least five hours a day, working from 7-4, studying from 4-9, and weekends. I've already requested two weeks off prior to the exam from my current employer, however an additional week wouldn't be a problem. I have a family and must work. Themis sounds like a straight forward program for grownups, that's what interested me, along with price and the great things you guys have said. :o

As far as needing to work, that's a legitimate concern but I can't emphasize enough how important that 3 weeks before the bar were to me passing. At some point you have to figure out if the extra grand you'd make that week is worth potentially not passing. Just keep that in mind.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:48 am

fathergoose wrote:As far as needing to work, that's a legitimate concern but I can't emphasize enough how important that 3 weeks before the bar were to me passing. At some point you have to figure out if the extra grand you'd make that week is worth potentially not passing. Just keep that in mind.

I was the opposite. I crushed it for the first half of the summer, and I basically took the week leading up to the bar exam off.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:42 am

fathergoose wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:

As far as needing to work, that's a legitimate concern but I can't emphasize enough how important that 3 weeks before the bar were to me passing. At some point you have to figure out if the extra grand you'd make that week is worth potentially not passing. Just keep that in mind.

Good point. The goal is to set aside a select amount each pay period so that I'll have enough to cover expenses those three weeks prior to exam days.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”