kalvano

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

First day down, bitches. So long, MPT. Farewell, Procedure & Evidence.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Nary a commercial paper issue. Praise Jesus.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Love that there was no Secured Transactions or commercial paper, but fuck that MPT not guidance what so ever

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm

No weird tricky things on PA. A couple of things I kind of made up on the fly, but whatever... it's over.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Every question in the afternoon made me go WTF? I once even debated "What subject is this question asking me about?" Thanks, Maryland. Just... thanks for that.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Does everyone do the same MPT?

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?

Not sure. It's the multistate performance test, so I would assume so.

PA just has a Performance Test, not the multistate one, so it's specific to PA.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Yes. I didn't finish because I kept changing my format. Not cool.

CrawlIntoAHole

Postby CrawlIntoAHole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Anyone else have terrible hand writing and forced to handwrite part of the exam? Texas made me handwrite P&E questions today and I am worried they cant even read my answers.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:

Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

I thought it was fine.... could get changes across pretty well just with bold/underline/italics.

CrawlIntoAHole

Postby CrawlIntoAHole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:

I thought it was fine.... could get changes across pretty well just with bold/underline/italics.

And deletions?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:

And deletions?

brackets...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone else have terrible hand writing and forced to handwrite part of the exam? Texas made me handwrite P&E questions today and I am worried they cant even read my answers.

Same. I tried to be neat, but even then...

It's absurd they make you handwrite that.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:

Maryland gave us one writing a motion for summary judgment about liability in haunted houses.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:

Maryland gave us one writing a motion for summary judgment about liability in haunted houses.

That was the one we got.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.

intlsuperstarr

Postby intlsuperstarr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Every question in the afternoon made me go WTF? I once even debated "What subject is this question asking me about?" Thanks, Maryland. Just... thanks for that.

Yes, the PM session for Maryland was almost completely out-of-left-field questions. You had real property, but only as it relates to some fiancee lady with three additional hypos. Corporations, but with sole respect to the question of corporate opportunity, in a question that was three times as long as any other. Constitutional law, but two separate statutes so double the amount of issues. Civil procedure, with a three page excerpt and question on the admissibility of medical records. Torts, as solely applied to trespassers in the frame of a summary judgment motion. Contracts in the form of...I don't even know yet how I was supposed to answer that one.

And then you have the crippled boyfriend giving the defendant a gun while zombie-like murderers are trying to enter some party with Adel...

I'm banking on everyone feeling this way...

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.

Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.

As Kalvano said, Texas had the "Franklin Flags" MPT question. On the way to the bar today, I pointed out to my wife the roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas that will undoubtedly be the subject of a negligence and strict liability suit. Then I got that MPT. Which was a bit weird.

bmford627

Postby bmford627 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm

a
Last edited by bmford627 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.

Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.

The Crim Pro ones were kind of out of the normal range they ask. Can a non-prosecutor conduct examinations before a grand jury? And I wasn't sure about impleading responsible third parties for non-personal injury cases. Other than that, I don't think I missed any of them significantly.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

The Crim Pro ones were kind of out of the normal range they ask. Can a non-prosecutor conduct examinations before a grand jury? And I wasn't sure about impleading responsible third parties for non-personal injury cases. Other than that, I don't think I missed any of them significantly.

Pretty sure I screwed up on requirements for arrest warrant. (Wrote two lines about search warrants and specificity of place searched, items seized then realized it was arrest. Got in what I could for the arrest warrant and didn't feel great about it.) Threw up every phrase I knew related to expert witnesses and reliable scientific evidence. Screwed up what a criminal complaint is. (Said it was to charge with a crime, not to accompany an arrest warrant).

Made educated guesses on the two questions you talked about and felt okay about them.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Pretty sure I screwed up on requirements for arrest warrant. (Wrote two lines about search warrants and specificity of place searched, items seized then realized it was arrest. Got in what I could for the arrest warrant and didn't feel great about it.) Threw up every phrase I knew related to expert witnesses and reliable scientific evidence. Screwed up what a criminal complaint is. (Said it was to charge with a crime, not to accompany an arrest warrant).

Made educated guesses on the two questions you talked about and felt okay about them.

Arrest warrant has to name the person and crime and be signed by a neutral magistrate. The expert witness thing was Daubert, basically.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm

joining in for TX, was a hot mess for the Crim and Civ PE I didn't get to finish them and was rush writing by the end (horrid writing).

Same, thought it said search warrant. I didn't know what a complaint was, thought it was charged offense. I didn't get the question about the law student friend of the prosecutor I kept thinking of PRE issues ugh, totally got those wrong. And were those venue questions on Civil the same answer for those companies, I also think I got those wrong. All over the place.

As for MPT, I didn't care about the headings, I gave up in the first minutes of writing, it wasn't worth it. Basically I typed a ton, cited to the cases a lot, made persuasive arguments, and included a ton of fact observations. I just argued why the park wins on anything and I personally took to heart that argument b/c they should win haha.

I'm pretty sure I set the curve nice and low for everyone at this rate.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”