.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 pm

First day down, bitches. So long, MPT. Farewell, Procedure & Evidence.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby forza » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:35 pm

Nary a commercial paper issue. Praise Jesus.

dsclaw
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby dsclaw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm

Love that there was no Secured Transactions or commercial paper, but fuck that MPT not guidance what so ever

locusdelicti
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby locusdelicti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm

No weird tricky things on PA. A couple of things I kind of made up on the fly, but whatever... it's over.

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby elysiansmiles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Every question in the afternoon made me go WTF? I once even debated "What subject is this question asking me about?" Thanks, Maryland. Just... thanks for that.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Does everyone do the same MPT?

locusdelicti
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby locusdelicti » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 pm

kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Not sure. It's the multistate performance test, so I would assume so.

PA just has a Performance Test, not the multistate one, so it's specific to PA.

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm

kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Yes. I didn't finish because I kept changing my format. Not cool.

CrawlIntoAHole
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby CrawlIntoAHole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Anyone else have terrible hand writing and forced to handwrite part of the exam? Texas made me handwrite P&E questions today and I am worried they cant even read my answers.

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

I thought it was fine.... could get changes across pretty well just with bold/underline/italics.

CrawlIntoAHole
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby CrawlIntoAHole » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

I thought it was fine.... could get changes across pretty well just with bold/underline/italics.


And deletions?

dixiecupdrinking
Posts: 3139
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:47 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.

I thought it was fine.... could get changes across pretty well just with bold/underline/italics.


And deletions?

brackets...

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Anyone else have terrible hand writing and forced to handwrite part of the exam? Texas made me handwrite P&E questions today and I am worried they cant even read my answers.


Same. I tried to be neat, but even then...

It's absurd they make you handwrite that.

User avatar
elysiansmiles
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby elysiansmiles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 pm

CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.


Maryland gave us one writing a motion for summary judgment about liability in haunted houses.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:
CrawlIntoAHole wrote:
kalvano wrote:Does everyone do the same MPT?


Assuming that you're referring to the MPT prepared by the NCBE, I believe that the NCBE prepares two MPTs, and each jurisdiction may use either or both. New York chose the MPT about the rock band and the contract negotiation. We were asked to amend contract provisions, which was a shit-storm without having Microsoft Word and tracked changes.


Maryland gave us one writing a motion for summary judgment about liability in haunted houses.


That was the one we got.

balzie94
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby balzie94 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 pm

.
Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.

intlsuperstarr
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby intlsuperstarr » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Every question in the afternoon made me go WTF? I once even debated "What subject is this question asking me about?" Thanks, Maryland. Just... thanks for that.


Yes, the PM session for Maryland was almost completely out-of-left-field questions. You had real property, but only as it relates to some fiancee lady with three additional hypos. Corporations, but with sole respect to the question of corporate opportunity, in a question that was three times as long as any other. Constitutional law, but two separate statutes so double the amount of issues. Civil procedure, with a three page excerpt and question on the admissibility of medical records. Torts, as solely applied to trespassers in the frame of a summary judgment motion. Contracts in the form of...I don't even know yet how I was supposed to answer that one.

And then you have the crippled boyfriend giving the defendant a gun while zombie-like murderers are trying to enter some party with Adel...

I'm banking on everyone feeling this way...

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 pm

kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.


Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.

As Kalvano said, Texas had the "Franklin Flags" MPT question. On the way to the bar today, I pointed out to my wife the roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas that will undoubtedly be the subject of a negligence and strict liability suit. Then I got that MPT. Which was a bit weird.

bmford627
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby bmford627 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm

a
Last edited by bmford627 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.


Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.


The Crim Pro ones were kind of out of the normal range they ask. Can a non-prosecutor conduct examinations before a grand jury? And I wasn't sure about impleading responsible third parties for non-personal injury cases. Other than that, I don't think I missed any of them significantly.

Citizen Genet
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:02 pm

kalvano wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.


Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.


The Crim Pro ones were kind of out of the normal range they ask. Can a non-prosecutor conduct examinations before a grand jury? And I wasn't sure about impleading responsible third parties for non-personal injury cases. Other than that, I don't think I missed any of them significantly.


Pretty sure I screwed up on requirements for arrest warrant. (Wrote two lines about search warrants and specificity of place searched, items seized then realized it was arrest. Got in what I could for the arrest warrant and didn't feel great about it.) Threw up every phrase I knew related to expert witnesses and reliable scientific evidence. Screwed up what a criminal complaint is. (Said it was to charge with a crime, not to accompany an arrest warrant).

Made educated guesses on the two questions you talked about and felt okay about them.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:05 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
kalvano wrote:Oddly enough, for Texas people, I don't mind the short answer P&E questions. They are pretty fair and probably have more to do with actually being a lawyer than anything else. I'd rather do 3 days of those.


Amen. I am sure there were two or three questions where I missed significant points and probably lost a lot of little points in other places, but I felt like it passed.


The Crim Pro ones were kind of out of the normal range they ask. Can a non-prosecutor conduct examinations before a grand jury? And I wasn't sure about impleading responsible third parties for non-personal injury cases. Other than that, I don't think I missed any of them significantly.


Pretty sure I screwed up on requirements for arrest warrant. (Wrote two lines about search warrants and specificity of place searched, items seized then realized it was arrest. Got in what I could for the arrest warrant and didn't feel great about it.) Threw up every phrase I knew related to expert witnesses and reliable scientific evidence. Screwed up what a criminal complaint is. (Said it was to charge with a crime, not to accompany an arrest warrant).

Made educated guesses on the two questions you talked about and felt okay about them.



Arrest warrant has to name the person and crime and be signed by a neutral magistrate. The expert witness thing was Daubert, basically.

anonymcoffee
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby anonymcoffee » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:14 pm

joining in for TX, was a hot mess for the Crim and Civ PE I didn't get to finish them and was rush writing by the end (horrid writing).

Same, thought it said search warrant. I didn't know what a complaint was, thought it was charged offense. I didn't get the question about the law student friend of the prosecutor I kept thinking of PRE issues ugh, totally got those wrong. And were those venue questions on Civil the same answer for those companies, I also think I got those wrong. All over the place.

As for MPT, I didn't care about the headings, I gave up in the first minutes of writing, it wasn't worth it. Basically I typed a ton, cited to the cases a lot, made persuasive arguments, and included a ton of fact observations. I just argued why the park wins on anything and I personally took to heart that argument b/c they should win haha.

I'm pretty sure I set the curve nice and low for everyone at this rate.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unidentifiable and 1 guest