locusdelicti

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby locusdelicti » Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
You should have a differences lecture and outline for your state. I had this dude for Torts, and then I had PA differences lectures and I'll also have NJ differences lectures. Do you not have that? It would be separate from the MBE lecture.

Yea I have them, but I haven't watched yet. I'm just surprised the original MBE vids have different people.

As am I. Although it sounds like I should be glad I didn't have her.

In some ways, doing this is harder than it was years ago, because I've been out of school so long that I've forgotten most of this. In other ways, I understand it better. Still, I feel like these lectures are far more concise than anything else I've seen. I wonder if anyone else here is in the same boat as me? Anyone not a recent law grad?

I wonder why Themis doesn't have a forum on its own site. That might be a good idea, for any Themis folks listening.

WrappedUpInBooks

Postby WrappedUpInBooks » Tue May 28, 2013 4:55 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:I hope everyone knows that if you're using Chrome or Safari, you can hover over the video and press Shift + --> to speed up the video. It can go at 1.5x speed (very manageable) and 2x speed (takes some training).

I love the 1.5x speed - saves time, and wards off boredom, to some extent.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Tue May 28, 2013 5:33 pm

locusdelicti wrote:John Jeffries is the shit. I wish he'd taught Con Law at my school.

I like his subtle humor, especially in the Establishment Clause material.

My favorite so far, though, is Neal Newman who teaches Commercial Paper. Accidentally stumbled upon him, couldn't help but watch every remaining lecture.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed May 29, 2013 12:05 pm

Is anyone else in Texas? Holy shit, the Corporations guy is awesome. I swear he's fighting the urge to dance.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed May 29, 2013 1:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Is anyone else in Texas? Holy shit, the Corporations guy is awesome. I swear he's fighting the urge to dance.

Doing Texas. You just gave me some motivation to actually start back up for the day.

Postby 09042014 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:25 pm

Does anyone know how many practice MBE Qs there are? I study best by just running through PQs.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed May 29, 2013 4:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does anyone know how many practice MBE Qs there are? I study best by just running through PQs.

That's a good question. Please post if you find out from outside sources.

NeXP

Postby NeXP » Thu May 30, 2013 12:18 am

Still suffering indecision paralysis over BarBri vs. Themis. Does it seem sufficient? BarBri gave a discount, but it's still twice as much.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:32 am

NeXP wrote:Still suffering indecision paralysis over BarBri vs. Themis. Does it seem sufficient? BarBri gave a discount, but it's still twice as much.

Seems like the same shit barbri kids have. I didn't want to pay twice as much, so I didn't and I don't regret it.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu May 30, 2013 12:49 am

NeXP wrote:Still suffering indecision paralysis over BarBri vs. Themis. Does it seem sufficient? BarBri gave a discount, but it's still twice as much.

"This is the bar exam. I'd advise you to spare no expense."

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:00 am

Bronx Bum wrote:

I sorta regret Themis, just because I probably could have coped dat baroutline.com

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:10 am

Bronx Bum wrote:

The concept of "not sparing an expense" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I'm so tired of hearing this, so I really hope you're joking. I'm not going to spend $3000+ when I can get the same thing for a grand. If you are self motivated and you didn't suck at law school, I'd advise you to not waste an extra $2,000 for the exact same passing grade.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Thu May 30, 2013 2:13 am

bceagles182 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

The concept of "not sparing an expense" is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I'm so tired of hearing this, so I really hope you're joking. I'm not going to spend $3000+ when I can get the same thing for a grand. If you are self motivated and you didn't suck at law school, I'd advise you to not waste an extra $2,000 for the exact same passing grade.

That is assuming you do get the same score.

I think being on campus make a difference for me. I would not pay more if just doing it online.
I went kind of "cheap" myself and am doing the other non-barbi on campus one (the one the has its own online lawschool-not sure if that is a pro or a con.................)

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:24 am

I like the themis layout so far but my one complaint is that the outlines seem a bit overly detailed. I've only worked through the con law one but I can't envision us needing to know about all of the specific case examples of each rule.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 am

thelawdoctor wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

I think being on campus make a difference for me. I would not pay more if just doing it online.
I went kind of "cheap" myself and am doing the other non-barbi on campus one (the one the has its own online lawschool-not sure if that is a pro or a con.................)

It doesn't matter if you get the same score. It only matters if you pass, and I am 100% certain that I will pass this exam.

Postby 09042014 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:46 am

I don't see the benefit of sitting in a class with distraction, not being able to 1.5 or 2x speed, and not being able to pause or rewind.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu May 30, 2013 6:48 am

Desert Fox wrote:I don't see the benefit of sitting in a class with distraction, not being able to 1.5 or 2x speed, and not being able to pause or rewind.

Not to mention there is no rule that says you can't go to a classroom/library with your laptop and use Themis there if studying at home is distracting.

JD_done

Postby JD_done » Thu May 30, 2013 9:10 am

I've been having technical issues for the past 3 days. The lecture times out and I get a "network error" message on the video screen. It happens about once every 20 minute lecture. I then have to start the video over and find the place where I left off. Is anyone else having this problem or could it be my browser settings etc? I've contacted technical support but haven't heard back. :?: :x

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Thu May 30, 2013 10:09 am

Wondering why the "goal" on practice MBE questions is just 50%. Is that because the practice questions are more difficult than the actual thing? Does that number go up later in the course?

denimchickn

Postby denimchickn » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 am

What are y'all thinking about the information on the handouts vs. the long outlines? I know the consensus seems to be that the outlines are probably unnecessarily detailed, but does everyone think the information in the lectures/handouts is sufficient? It seems next to impossible to expect to retain much more information from every subject than that.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Jeffries on 1.5x speed distorts his voice such that he reminds me of this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ul87W-zKs

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
bceagles182 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:

Wondering why you like to be on campus? Not knocking your approach at all bc we're all different. Just curious. In my opinion, I love not being around the aspies who read every case in law school, outlined everything and still choked and got a B+.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Only on con law but skimming the outlines (about a minute and a half on each page) then listening to lectures and then reading the handout again after has been pretty good.

Anyone taking it for NY?

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Only on con law but skimming the outlines (about a minute and a half on each page) then listening to lectures and then reading the handout again after has been pretty good.

Anyone taking it for NY?

I'm taking the NY/MA one. Started with Con Law as well.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Thu May 30, 2013 1:10 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Only on con law but skimming the outlines (about a minute and a half on each page) then listening to lectures and then reading the handout again after has been pretty good.

Anyone taking it for NY?

I'm taking the NY/MA one. Started with Con Law as well.

Kind of nervous about the ton of new york material. This is where we'll find out if the course is good or not. Whether they direct us to the right stuff. I heard in February they did a better job than Barbri.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”