HETPE3B

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby HETPE3B » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Anyone else stopped doing the Themis tasks and just moving forward with what they know they personally need work with? I've been at 82% for days and am concentrating on memorizing all my stupid mnemonics in subjects that I think will show up on essays, and reviewing subjects I'm bad at on the MBE (contracts, property).

Been doing pretty much that for about a week now.

tbgb

Postby tbgb » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:57 pm

I keep scoring in the 60% area... ughhh
Quick question, do you guys still do you mbes in interactive mode or test mode?

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm

HETPE3B wrote:
Agoraphobia wrote:Anyone else stopped doing the Themis tasks and just moving forward with what they know they personally need work with? I've been at 82% for days and am concentrating on memorizing all my stupid mnemonics in subjects that I think will show up on essays, and reviewing subjects I'm bad at on the MBE (contracts, property).

Absolutely, and I wish I had done it earlier. I only took open book exams in law school and am real worried I didn't memorize well enough here, should have been working at that earlier and harder.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:04 pm

So I've been stuck without my MPT book for a week now, and Themis is getting antsy. Today it would like for me to do five MPTs.

LOL, Themis. LOL.

thebull

Postby thebull » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:25 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Anyone here doing NY/NJ? How far along are you? Are you bothering with the NJ essays? I feel like a jerkoff because I'm only at 71% but I've come to realize that this is only because if the NJ essays.

NY/NJ here at about 80%. I do the NJ essays but most of the time I'll just issue spot/outline, not actually write out the whole essay as it seems like a waste of time.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 pm

This is the feedback in its entirety that I just received on my last essay:

"85/100. Very thorough essay, you did a great job throughout. Probably one of the most complete essays I have seen all summer. I really don’t have much to write about. Keep doing what you are doing, and good luck with your studying and good luck on the bar!"

Very timely - I really needed this after the NY multiple choice disaster. Maybe I will pass this thing after all... :mrgreen:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:59 pm

HETPE3B wrote:

I still do Themis practice essays and MBE PQ's, but I do 50-100 MBE PQ's in the morning, then the gym, then read my notes and the handouts for various subjects, then do practice essay and short answer. All I am using Themis for now is the practice stuff.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 pm

tbgb wrote:I keep scoring in the 60% area... ughhh
Quick question, do you guys still do you mbes in interactive mode or test mode?

I do interactive mode, and made a word doc with all of the little rules I get wrong on the practice questions. Helps me remember the next time it comes around.

JDCA2012

Postby JDCA2012 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:25 pm

HETPE3B wrote:This is the feedback in its entirety that I just received on my last essay:

"85/100. Very thorough essay, you did a great job throughout. Probably one of the most complete essays I have seen all summer. I really don’t have much to write about. Keep doing what you are doing, and good luck with your studying and good luck on the bar!"

Very timely - I really needed this after the NY multiple choice disaster. Maybe I will pass this thing after all... :mrgreen:

The highest essay grade I've gotten was a 65, and it was on the 2nd essay and also on the PT. My grades have gone: 60, 65, 55, 60, 65 (PT), 60. Haven't gotten last 2 back yet.
At this point, I feel like I am going to fail the bar. My MBE has been all over the map. I can get an 82% on a mixed MBE with 20 mins to spare, and I can run to the end of time, struggling the whole time, get a 64%, but I'd say mostly in the 71-76% on mixed MBE sets, with 64 and 68 being my lowest scores. Milestones have been: 1 = 86, 2 = 74, SimAM = 73, SimPM = 67.

I am feeling no way to improve my essays in the last week's time. Most of the time, feedback on my essays I guess hasn't really been something tangible each time that I can point at and be like a-ha! That's what I should have done better!
Like when I get a 60, response summary was "This is a well-written and well-reasoned essay. Though your analysis was occasionally off base or incomplete, you demonstrated good organizational skills and knowledge of the law. Good job consistently following TRAC." There were a couple more little comments up in relevant places, but nothing like oh man, this won't pass because you didn't include an afterthought sub-issue to raise and dismiss it, or something. I don't know.
Ok. So, it was well-written, and well-reasoned. Now how do I make it pass?? I'm so screwed.
The contracts one I guess totally messed up, my fault since I had just trouble analyzing the offer in the first place.
I don't see how that wouldn't necessarily happen on gameday though. And my mistakes apparently don't seem to be consistent from essay to essay, topic to topic.

tl;dr This is a pointless rant with no purpose, my essays are going to fail and I feel at this point I'm not going to pass the bar. Basically, I feel neurotic and psychotic and have been losing sleep last 3-4 nights.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:32 pm

JDCA2012 wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:This is the feedback in its entirety that I just received on my last essay:

The highest essay grade I've gotten was a 65, and it was on the 2nd essay and also on the PT. My grades have gone: 60, 65, 55, 60, 65 (PT), 60. Haven't gotten last 2 back yet.
At this point, I feel like I am going to fail the bar. My MBE has been all over the map. I can get an 82% on a mixed MBE with 20 mins to spare, and I can run to the end of time, struggling the whole time, get a 64%, but I'd say mostly in the 71-76% on mixed MBE sets, with 64 and 68 being my lowest scores. Milestones have been: 1 = 86, 2 = 74, SimAM = 73, SimPM = 67.

I am feeling no way to improve my essays in the last week's time. Most of the time, feedback on my essays I guess hasn't really been something tangible each time that I can point at and be like a-ha! That's what I should have done better!
Like when I get a 60, response summary was "This is a well-written and well-reasoned essay. Though your analysis was occasionally off base or incomplete, you demonstrated good organizational skills and knowledge of the law. Good job consistently following TRAC." There were a couple more little comments up in relevant places, but nothing like oh man, this won't pass because you didn't include an afterthought sub-issue to raise and dismiss it, or something. I don't know.
Ok. So, it was well-written, and well-reasoned. Now how do I make it pass?? I'm so screwed.
The contracts one I guess totally messed up, my fault since I had just trouble analyzing the offer in the first place.
I don't see how that wouldn't necessarily happen on gameday though. And my mistakes apparently don't seem to be consistent from essay to essay, topic to topic.

tl;dr This is a pointless rant with no purpose, my essays are going to fail and I feel at this point I'm not going to pass the bar. Basically, I feel neurotic and psychotic and have been losing sleep last 3-4 nights.

You are probably doing really well. They just don't wanna hand out passing scores in practices because they are afraid of scenarios where someone passes every essay then fails the real thing.

Your SIM MBE score was pretty good. And would probably be higher on the real thing.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Definitely. I've been stuck at 76% for a while. I've been concentrating on condensing outlines for memorization, and I usually try to do at least 1 or 2 MBE PQ sets a day and 2-3 essays. That's pretty much it at this point...and honestly the only motivation I have.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:55 pm

as stars burn wrote:

Definitely. I've been stuck at 76% for a while. I've been concentrating on condensing outlines for memorization, and I usually try to do at least 1 or 2 MBE PQ sets a day and 2-3 essays. That's pretty much it at this point...and honestly the only motivation I have.

Doing similar, only I've noticed that doing the whole essay doesn't help me. So I write out the issues and rules before moving on.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:57 pm

The panic is building. I'm starting to get that feeling in my gut that I haven't had since 2L year where the reality of my inadequate preparation slowly washes over me. Crushing me not suddenly, but slowly and with out pause. I begin to regret every YouTube video, deadspin article, and TLS post from the last 6 weeks that in my infinite wisdom I knew would not inhibit my ability to pass the bar exam. I drink more coffee thinking it will motivate me to study but instead only heightens my nervousness and increase the speed at which I pace. I pray that I have one lucky card up my sleeve to get me out of this one last jam. God speed to us all.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:08 pm

fathergoose wrote:The panic is building. I'm starting to get that feeling in my gut that I haven't had since 2L year where the reality of my inadequate preparation slowly washes over me. Crushing me not suddenly, but slowly and with out pause. I begin to regret every YouTube video, deadspin article, and TLS post from the last 6 weeks that in my infinite wisdom I knew would not inhibit my ability to pass the bar exam. I drink more coffee thinking it will motivate me to study but instead only heightens my nervousness and increase the speed at which I pace. I pray that I have one lucky card up my sleeve to get me out of this one last jam. God speed to us all.

I can't say for sure because I haven't taken the bar, but I believe that this is a normal part of the process. The truth is that you will always feel inadequately prepared because the exam can potentially cover a lot of topics. As some people have suggested (locus, I believe), you'll likely remember a lot stuff during the actual exam. Just relax, don't psyche yourself out, and try to have a broad understanding of the topics. If you do, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edit: Minimum competency!!

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:10 pm

fathergoose wrote:The panic is building. I'm starting to get that feeling in my gut that I haven't had since 2L year where the reality of my inadequate preparation slowly washes over me. Crushing me not suddenly, but slowly and with out pause. I begin to regret every YouTube video, deadspin article, and TLS post from the last 6 weeks that in my infinite wisdom I knew would not inhibit my ability to pass the bar exam. I drink more coffee thinking it will motivate me to study but instead only heightens my nervousness and increase the speed at which I pace. I pray that I have one lucky card up my sleeve to get me out of this one last jam. God speed to us all.

That sheet you sent me has everything you need to score 676 points.

tbgb

Postby tbgb » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 pm

This thread is stressing me out hahaha
Everyone just take a chill pill.... do your best and you'll most likely pass. if not, then just take it again and this would be a good practice..

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:19 pm

TheBeard wrote:

I can't say for sure because I haven't taken the bar, but I believe that this is a normal part of the process. The truth is that you will always feel inadequately prepared because the exam can potentially cover a lot of topics. As some people have suggested (locus, I believe), you'll likely remember a lot stuff during the actual exam. Just relax, don't psyche yourself out, and try to have a broad understanding of the topics. If you do, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edit: Minimum competency!!

Yes, locus definitely mentioned that :) Panic is not your friend right now. Just have faith in yourself, stay positive, and do the best you can with the 10 days we have left. It'll all be okay!

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I need to keep it together. My advisor warned me that during the last 10 days students enter into either panic-mode or apathy-mode. Surprisingly, I think I'm falling into the latter. I've already come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to know everything, and that I will probably have to make up some law on the exam, but it is taking everything I have to continue studying. I just wasted two hours reading articles and such about Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen all because I turned on some Sex Pistols earlier today--what is wrong with me!?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:45 pm

tbgb wrote:This thread is stressing me out hahaha
Everyone just take a chill pill.... do your best and you'll most likely pass. if not, then just take it again and this would be a good practice..

If your anxiety is out of control, really do take a chill pill. Benzo's are a short term miracle drug.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Question
A woman was suspected of murder in the shooting death of her husband and was taken into custody. The interrogating officers did not read the woman her Miranda rights, but instead waited in the room for another officer to arrive. After ninety minutes of waiting, the woman became extremely agitated and blurted out, “I did it! I killed him, and I threw the gun into the river!” The police dragged the river and recovered a gun, and ballistics tests confirmed that the gun was the murder weapon. At trial, the woman’s attorney moved to suppress introduction of both the confession and the gun as evidence. How should the court rule?

Answers
Suppress both the confession and the gun.
Suppress only the confession.
Suppress only the gun.
Suppress neither the confession nor the gun.

Rationale:
Answer choice D is correct. Any statement obtained as the result of a custodial interrogation may not be used against a suspect at a subsequent trial unless the police first inform the suspect of her Miranda rights. Once a custodial interrogation begins, anything the defendant says is inadmissible until the defendant is informed of the Miranda rights and the defendant knowingly and voluntarily waives those rights. Volunteered statements, however, are not protected by Miranda. Here, the woman’s statements were not made in response to any interrogation on the part of the officers, but rather, were blurted out in a moment of panic before the interrogation began. Therefore, there was no violation of Miranda. Answer choices A and B are incorrect because the confession was voluntary and therefore not protected by Miranda. Answer choice C is incorrect because the gun would also be admissible. Derivative physical evidence obtained as a result of a non-purposeful failure by police to give Miranda warnings is admissible at trial.

I thought sitting in the room with the suspect and not saying anything could be considered a coercive interrogation method if it were done for a long enough period?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Wow. If I were to do the remaining essays, I'd write 87 essays. I'll probably outline 55 of them, and write the rest.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purr se

Postby purr se » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:21 pm

Broke 75% (fucking finally)! I can haz bar passage now?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:34 pm

purr se wrote:Broke 75% (fucking finally)! I can haz bar passage now?

Are you sure you wouldn't rather just have your money back?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Bedsole wrote:

I'd love it if all my financial decisions from 2010 until now never happened.

tbgb

Postby tbgb » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Bedsole wrote:

Do we get out money back if we don't reach 75%?
btw, anyone know what is the minimum % that we need to reach for free course retake?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”