Bikeflip

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Haha. Themis sent us a message for what is and isn't allowed in the Colorado Bar Exam room. We're not allowed to bring in our own pens or pencils. The bar will supply us with them.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawnology

Postby Shawnology » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

This is going to sound like the craziest question in the world and maybe it is just last day confusion but where are the essay answers for the state simulated exam we took? I took Florida, and I only see the answers for the multiple choice exam? I don't even see it in the Flex Study area or My Progress area....am I missing it?

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

balzie94 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:Man, I need to slow the fuck down on these essays. I ended up missing about 5 questions on each part of the simulated MBE because I was so pressed for time (I think this is mainly due to my wandering mind because I get so damn bored), but I just finished the MEE simulated essays (6 essays) with over 30 minutes left to spare, and I was totally diddly-daddling a bit, too. I was freaking flying through it! I honestly didn't think it was that bad! I went WAY over the character count on Secured Trans and had to go back to figure out what to cut, but I wrote about 3,000 average for the rest. Maybe I'm not writing enough? Missing small issues? Either that or my journalism-write-a-breaking-news-story-in-20-minutes mentality came in and totally just took over.

Regardless, I think condensing these outlines is helping me immensely with compartmentalizing and focusing on the big picture only. I haven't graded my responses against the model answers yet, but I didn't feel like complete shit afterward, so it was rather refreshing.

I took the essays today as well, and I feel the same way you do! Glad you feel good about how it went. For me, I was thrown off by the unique IL property rule about "illusory transfers" in the first question. I really appreciated that Themis tested the IL AM section according to how frequently IL tests those subjects. Apparently, IL Civ Pro, Property, and Agency are tested frequently on the IL part. Also, were you citing IL law a lot for the Property and Agency questions? It looks like not even the model answers were...

Yeah, I think out of all the essays the IL property one threw me off the most. Property in general is the weakest subject for me. I did review the model answers for the IEE and got the gist of the IL property question but, like you, I had no idea what an "illusory transfer" was and all that. All I knew is that the transfers were ineffective when you're dealing without joint tenancy and a right of survivorship (except, if he had transferred his interest to a third party that would have broken joint tenancy and converted it to a tenancy in common). I really didn't cite that much IL law, especially for the property and agency question, and I caught myself citing federal rules of civil procedure LOL. Oops!

forza

Postby forza » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Shawnology wrote:This is going to sound like the craziest question in the world and maybe it is just last day confusion but where are the essay answers for the state simulated exam we took? I took Florida, and I only see the answers for the multiple choice exam? I don't even see it in the Flex Study area or My Progress area....am I missing it?

If you're talking about the simulated essay exam, look under flex study --> essay exams.

Also, is it just me, or is anyone else finding that torts MBE questions are really difficult compared to all other areas except property as the MBE sets progress? My torts percentage just steadily decreases...

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 pm

forza wrote:Also, is it just me, or is anyone else finding that torts MBE questions are really difficult compared to all other areas except property as the MBE sets progress? My torts percentage just steadily decreases...

Yeah I'm experiencing the same thing. At this point I'm preferring to look at it like this: "I'm doing so damn well on Torts questions that these impossible as fuck ones have to be thrown at me." I know it's incorrect but it makes me feel better.

In other news, this whole 'you have a message but I'm not going to give it to you' thing is still driving me batshit.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:So I sat down to do the sample graded MPT and I was 2,200 words in and 20 minutes left and Chrome just crashed and wouldn't recover anything. Fuck it. I submitted something that explained what happened simply for the completion point, but goddammit. I am not going back and redoing it all. I wonder if they will take back my percentage point for "completing" that assignment.

I had my second part of my Simulated MBE crap out on me after I hit complete. I had to go back and try to remember what I put for each one.

Luckily for me, the only crash happened during a practice non-graded PT. For the SimMBE, I did everything by hand before transferring to the computer. I would lose my shit if it crapped out and I had to spend all that time redoing the questions.

bahamallamamama

Postby bahamallamamama » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 am

can any of you california ppl post the filled-in remedies, wills, and trusts outlines somewhere online / in a dropbox or something? thanks.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:06 am

Does anyone actually feel prepared for this?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:23 am

kalvano wrote:Does anyone actually feel prepared for this?

Not really. Parts here and there, sure. I feel like as I grasp one subject better, I forget all about another one.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:25 am

Definitely not. There's too much information. I had several friends tell me they walked into the exam not feeling 100% "there," but I think most people will feel that way. I know I'll feel that way.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:44 am

Bikeflip wrote:

Not really. Parts here and there, sure. I feel like as I grasp one subject better, I forget all about another one.

This is EXACTLY how I feel.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:17 am

Just hit 70% and calling it a night. MBE scores are not awful (MBE 7-9 have all been 70-78 %) but not quite where I feel comfortable. I literally don't know half of the CA-specific subjects though. Next 8-10 days are going to be brutal I can say that much.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:33 am

Okay, I know I'm not the smartest person with MBEs... but seriously, what the fuck?

While walking down the street, an intoxicated, homeless woman addressed a jogger and said, “I know you killed your husband.” The jogger stared at the woman for a second, as did a group of onlookers, but said nothing and kept jogging. As the jogger turned a corner, she began to panic; she really had just killed her husband, but had no idea how the homeless woman could have known that. When she reached the end of the block, she turned around, jogged back, and yelled to the woman “No, I didn’t!”
Did the jogger adopt the homeless woman’s statement when she remained silent?

A. Yes, because she did not respond to the woman right away.
B. Yes, because she had just killed her husband.
C. No, because she eventually responded to the woman’s comment.
D. No, because a reasonable person would not have denied the statement.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:03 am

antonious13 wrote:Okay, I know I'm not the smartest person with MBEs... but seriously, what the fuck?

While walking down the street, an intoxicated, homeless woman addressed a jogger and said, “I know you killed your husband.” The jogger stared at the woman for a second, as did a group of onlookers, but said nothing and kept jogging. As the jogger turned a corner, she began to panic; she really had just killed her husband, but had no idea how the homeless woman could have known that. When she reached the end of the block, she turned around, jogged back, and yelled to the woman “No, I didn’t!”
Did the jogger adopt the homeless woman’s statement when she remained silent?

A. Yes, because she did not respond to the woman right away.
B. Yes, because she had just killed her husband.
C. No, because she eventually responded to the woman’s comment.
D. No, because a reasonable person would not have denied the statement.

As in why is the answer the answer or as in what the hell is this fact pattern?

Because I would imagine that it'd be D because if some drunk homeless woman started yellin' out at someone that she knew the person killed their husband, I can't imagine a reasonably person would be expected to even respond to that. Though way to make yourself look suspicious as fuck by comin' on back and yelling NUH UH, lady.

Also I spent all night just going over Civ Pro and trying to make myself feel good about it since I know it's going to be one of the MEE questions. And i was feeling real good about it and then got some obscure essay about abstention and class certification. And it made-a me sad.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:04 am

Bikeflip wrote:

SAME.

JD_done

Postby JD_done » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:32 am

The next person that tells me how tired I look, I'm going to punch them in the face.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:20 am

JD_done wrote:The next person that tells me how tired I look, I'm going to punch them in the face.

Agreed. Correct rephrasing of this comment must be: "What would you like from Starbucks?" Let's get this started so that others can catch on.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:21 am

Doing MBE PQ's for Property again and I still don't understand this problem. When I'm reading the future covenants of a general warranty it sounds like the Grantor is always on the hook to defend against challenges to title or encroachments, but this question makes it clear that the warranty only matter if there's an actual defect, and since "buyer" successfully defended their title there must be no defects. Even if I buy all that, how would you figure damages if there was a defect in the title? The cost of defending the title seems insufficient if the Owner failed to defend the title and the neighbor successfully claimed title.

Or maybe I'm just foggy and missing something obvious.

An owner, who owned Blackacre in fee simple, conveyed Blackacre to a buyer by warranty deed. A neighbor, an adjoining owner, asserted title to Blackacre and brought an appropriate action against the buyer to quiet title to Blackacre. The buyer demanded that the owner defend the buyer's title under the deed's covenant of warranty, but the owner refused. The buyer then successfully defended at her own expense. The buyer brought an appropriate action against the owner to recover the buyer's expenses incurred in defending against the neighbor's action to quiet title to Blackacre.

In this action, the court should decide for
A. the buyer, because in effect it was the owner's title that was challenged.
B. the buyer, because the owner's deed to her included the covenant of warranty.
C. the owner, because the title the owner conveyed was not defective.
D. the owner, because the neighbor may elect which of the owner or the buyer to sue.

Incorrect: Answer choice C is correct. The buyer can only recover from the owner if title were unmarketable. Here, it is clear that title was marketable because the buyer was successful in defending against the neighbor. The covenant of warranty only protects the buyer if it was breached by the owner due to defects in the title, which did not exist here. Thus, answer choices A and B are incorrect. Answer choice D is incorrect because the neighbor can only bring suit against the buyer as the owner of record.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:13 am

"Don't worry, you're going to pass." Look mom/gf/dad, I love you to death but you really don't fuckin know that.

Wish they would say "you'll be fine even if u fail" instead.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:37 am

Bikeflip wrote:

Count me in on this, too.

rsg87

Postby rsg87 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

I feel like I know a lot of random things of many areas of the law but have none of the down cold. Its just too much information. I don't know if anyone can truly feel honestly prepared that they know it. My brain may be weird but for me to feel truly prepared, I have to know everything and for this test it is just not possible.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:32 pm

I've been neglecting MBE practice and focusing exclusively on the state law portion of the test. I have to learn it sometime prior to the exam...

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I've been neglecting MBE practice and focusing exclusively on the state law portion of the test. I have to learn it sometime prior to the exam...

Depending on which state, that might be a mistake.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 pm

FL. The two are portions are weighted 50/50.

ETA - I plan on resuming MBE practice on Monday

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:FL. The two are portions are weighted 50/50.

ETA - I plan on resuming MBE practice on Monday

If you already did MBE, then you are fine. I thought you just haven't done any yet.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”