Bustang

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bustang » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Just to add what's already been established - the director of Themis for Texas has told me on two separate occasions that the portal will a) adjust questions according to your strengths/weaknesses and b) ask more difficult questions on the following quiz after scoring "highly."

Themis just taught me who was boss.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm

Wow, I love how I'm getting the hard questions right and the easy ones wrong, Themis review video :evil:

What's happening is that I am forgetting the easy stuff, because I am focusing on the hard shit.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Four straight essay practice questions answered correctly with no outline. I might actually be learning something.

yeff

Postby yeff » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 pm

antonious13 wrote:Sadly, this has been me all day: http://assets.amuniversal.com/189abe10a9f10130d6ea001dd8b71c47

http://www.bumblebeesystems.com/wastenotime/ has been crucial. I have it redirect to my Themis homepage.

b0dylanguage

Postby b0dylanguage » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Mixed MBE 7 & 8: tore me a new one. Dialed my confidence back to where it was a month ago, I'd wager. Anyone else who's done them so far feel like they were disproportionately difficult?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 pm

b0dylanguage wrote:Mixed MBE 7 & 8: tore me a new one. Dialed my confidence back to where it was a month ago, I'd wager. Anyone else who's done them so far feel like they were disproportionately difficult?

Yes. As noted previously:

Catleesi wrote:Enrolled Student Manual: "The MBE Test Bank is designed to work with your strengths and weaknesses within each MBE subject. Your first session will be a random selection of questions. In future sessions, you will see more questions in the areas in which you need more review. "

Bustang wrote:Just to add what's already been established - the director of Themis for Texas has told me on two separate occasions that the portal will a) adjust questions according to your strengths/weaknesses and b) ask more difficult questions on the following quiz after scoring "highly."

Themis just taught me who was boss.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:37 am

I found this somewhere as I was not studying for the Bar Exam. Laughed out loud. Enjoy :)

1. People who don’t record their deeds:

Hey. Fuck face. That’s a nice deed you got there. Went ahead and bought TheAcre, didya? That’s awesome. Owning property is a sign of real maturity. Now, why don’t you do us all a favor, and go record the fucking deed.

Right. Fucking. Now. Don’t put it in a goddamn drawer. Don’t go off to India for 20 years. Don’t leave the deed in your will for dear cousin Victorianox. Get your fat lazy ass down to the records office, and record it before I burn your house down. Don’t worry, I’m not a “known” arsonist.

2. Wily property sellers:

Here is a suggestion to those Bill of Rights violatin’ petty thug ass clowns, the Police. How about you go down to the Acre, and arrest the son of a bitch who sells the same house to 15 different people, over and over. I’m sick of this guy getting away every time he pulls this shit, and I’m left to sort out the fucking pieces.

3. ‘Known’ arsonists:

Here’s a little tip to all the cretins that keep hiring ‘known’ arsonists to burn down their cheating girlfriend’s house. Why is it, do you think, that he is a known arsonist? He’s “known” because he has been fucking caught before. You don’t know who the good arsonists are, do you?! Because they have their shit together. But no, you had to go hire Dusseldorf, or Durango, or whatever D word your fuckwit moron arsonist is named, and now he’s gone and burned the wrong house, and left me with a BAR question.

4. People who back out of conspiracies:

Why don’t you just stick with it and save us all some trouble?

5. Power companies that leave an electric wire live to deter copper theft:

While I appreciate your effort to rid the world of thieves stupid enough to try and steal raw copper wiring that’s humming and has blue arcs dancing on it, it’s just gonna bite you in the ass in the end. Just let the copper go.

6. Fertile Octogenarians

I think I speak for all of us when I say……..Burn the witch! Burn her! And don’t use a ‘known’ arsonist!

7. People who use anything more complicated than Fee Simple Absolute in a will:

Hey, old man. Either give Horatio your interest in the Acre, or don’t, alright? Don’t condition it on him growing a mustache, or learning to play the calliope, or winning ‘Dancing with the Stars.’ Don’t grant a springing executive interest to Zenobia if she manages to graduate from Ninja academy. Stop making my life more complicated than it needs to be, you narcissistic old man, and stop trying to control your property from the grave in a vain attempt to make up for your feebleness in life.

8. House Painters:

Just paint the fucking house yourself, Paulson. Trust me on this one. It’s not worth it.

9. Bank Mortgages:

Hi there, First National Bank of South Calizonachussettsas. I don’t mean to tell you how to run your business, but allow me to impart a bit of sage wisdom. When someone :

1) named Defaultina McBankrupstein,

2) is taking out her 17th mortgage with you,

3) on a place called Mushacre

4) so she can buy a new hat,

do NOT fucking come crying to me when the inevitable judicial foreclosure sale nets $34, a button, and some lint, all of which are devoured by the banks that are 20 miles ahead of you in creditor line. And do not ask me whether you are a junior or senior mortgagor, or whether you debt is secured, or some other bullshit I don’t understand, because the answer is always the same.

D) You are fucked. Take it like a man.

10. Wanna-be Burglars:

I am sick to death of these slackjawed melon-heads deciding at 2 a.m. that they need to borrow their neighbors wrench, and are sure he ‘won’t mind’ if they saunter on over there in the middle of the night, crowbar the garage open, smash open his tool chest, and ‘borrow it.’ And then always the inevitable fucking: Did he commit Larceny/Burglary/Robbery?????? Ohhhhh, no intent! Let him go, boys. Let the man go. So I can throw the wrench right at his goddamn teeth.Good thing when we are really in practice we will have these Intent Goggles (c), that can magically tell us, despite every bit of evidence to the contrary, this jackass really didn’t intend to commit a crime. He genuinely thought that breaking into your neighbor’s house, stealing his car, taking a shit on his pool table, and sleeping with his wife were all part of the social covenants between good neighbors.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:04 am

LOL

(hint: this is only funny if you're studying for the bar. If you passed already you will put a pillow over your ears while a bar studier reading it laughs uproariously)

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:45 am

I actually had to take a whole day off because a friend (who is a law student not taking the bar) is crashing at my house. And aside from the anxiety about taking a day off, I think it may actually have done me some good.

Now, more than ever, I find it deeply and sob-inducingly funny that the exam we need to pass to be a lawyer is called the bar. Because that is exactly where I'm going when this fucker is over.

Also...number 9 on that list is the gift of giggles that keeps on giving.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:35 am

Kudos on the WasteNoTime plugin. Had to be like Odysseus tied to the mast of the ship as I made my Con Law note cards today (how appropriate), and even then it took all day.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:38 am

Catleesi wrote:LOL

(hint: this is only funny if you're studying for the bar. If you passed already you will put a pillow over your ears while a bar studier reading it laughs uproariously)

Yeah, I just tried telling my boyfriend two of these, and he looked at me like "why the fuck am I still with you?"

I'm laughing furiously. #9 slayed me.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am

b0dylanguage wrote:Mixed MBE 7 & 8: tore me a new one. Dialed my confidence back to where it was a month ago, I'd wager. Anyone else who's done them so far feel like they were disproportionately difficult?

Yup - they seem to be the wall

forza

Postby forza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:43 am

Well, today is gonna suck.

HeAdYLaWDudE

Postby HeAdYLaWDudE » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:07 am

Anyone else just start the NY Essay Day practice and for some reason only have 2 minutes per essay question for some reason? WTF is goin on?

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 am

NO.

I forgot it was essay day!

*crawls under table*

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 am

Looks like something is not getting done today.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am

Yeah, I'm definitely not taking the essays exam today. I actually completely forgot about them, so I'll just do it tomorrow. Something tells me I need to take the Monday before the exam off completely or I'm going to be so burnt out. The sheer thought of having to do 9 essays and an MPT makes me want to cry.

Aside from that, did all the Illinois peeps see that we need to bring 2 passport photos with us to the testing center so they can give us a badge with our picture in it? (info here if you missed it: https://www.ilbaradmissions.org/news.action?id=1060) I mean...WTF? I get that it is extra security for people who are trying to cheat, but geezus, I hate all this stupid shit they make us do. It also means I have to leave the house to go to Walgreens and get more passport photos. Such a pain in the ass when all I want to do is curl up and die.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:38 am

I thought I already mailed those, like way back in February. What? Huh? I guess I'll go buy ANOTHER set since I don't want to get kicked out for something so simple, but gr.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am

Agoraphobia wrote:I thought I already mailed those, like way back in February. What? Huh? I guess I'll go buy ANOTHER set since I don't want to get kicked out for something so simple, but gr.

Yeah, it's in addition to the ones we sent back in February, or at least that's what the notification on the bar website seems to say. I can guarantee you that people will forget to bring these, and according to the web site, they won't be allowed to sit for the exam. That would suck SO MUCH. I have been watching the web site like a hawk because they like to post crap like this and we don't get any kind of notification about it via email.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:29 am

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:52 am

balzie94 wrote:I don't think we need to bring more photos. As I read this notice, the photos we sent in Feb were used to make the badges the bar examiners will be providing to us after we show them our state IDs/driver license. Why else would we have needed to send two passport photos back in Feb?

Edit: Yep, you're right. I just emailed them to clarify and all we need to bring is our photo ID. Our photos are on file from Feb. It's also clarified in the instructions that I have not read yet. Sorry for the confusion.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, THAT was a drag. But I did okay, I think. On to the PM.

forza

Postby forza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:41 pm

You know what? The essays are actually really chill compared the MBE. The MBE is a heart-pounding time-crunch mindfuck. The essays you can sorta just chill and massage the fuck out of for 45 minutes per. I am finding that 45 minutes is plenty of time, although the secured transactions bit in the New York essays had me lol'ing at how little I know (or care to know) about that subject.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Bustang wrote:Just to add what's already been established - the director of Themis for Texas has told me on two separate occasions that the portal will a) adjust questions according to your strengths/weaknesses and b) ask more difficult questions on the following quiz after scoring "highly."

This is bad news for my next problem set I think - not only did I score uncharacteristically high on Mixed MBE 6 (78% total! Go me!) but my next set is the dreaded MBE 7. Perhaps its time to buy more wine?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”