Kretzy

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:I think the consensus is that they are getting harder.

G-d, I sure as fuck hope so.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:02 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Is it basically irrelevant that a contract has a clause that says this contract cannot be assigned. Can you basically assign a contract whether the clause is in or not so long as there is no particular purpose the other party had for wanting YOU specifically to do it (best baker in town, famous person doing soemthing to promote busines, etc.). I guess I am thinking of it in a way that sayd even if its a breach what are you damages assuming everything was done properly?

Right. Assuming it gets done, it's a breach without damages. I think the point of that kind of statement is to show the other party that they can't get off the hook in the event of a breach just by assigning their rights away. A clause has teeth if it says the assignment is void, because then you actually prevent them from assigning their rights.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Is it basically irrelevant that a contract has a clause that says this contract cannot be assigned. Can you basically assign a contract whether the clause is in or not so long as there is no particular purpose the other party had for wanting YOU specifically to do it (best baker in town, famous person doing soemthing to promote busines, etc.). I guess I am thinking of it in a way that sayd even if its a breach what are you damages assuming everything was done properly?

Yes, you have it right more or less. If the contract states that it cannot be assigned, the party can assign regardless BUT it will be considered a breach, and of course the other party can always counter with (best baker in town, famous person doing something, etc.) in order to invalidate the assignment. Of course, if the contract is silent then the parties can assign and delegate freely.

Edit: also, what the above poster said ^^^ (I didn't see that before answering)

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:16 pm

The only thing getting me through these last 2 weeks is that I have Lollapalooza tickets for August 2. It's safe to say that there will be sheer joy as I walk out of UIC Pavilion on July 31 (granted I felt somewhat OK on the exam....)

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:18 pm

as stars burn wrote:The only thing getting me through these last 2 weeks is that I have Lollapalooza tickets for August 2. It's safe to say that there will be sheer joy as I walk out of UIC Pavilion on July 31 (granted I felt somewhat OK on the exam....)

I have been in Chicago for the last two Lollapaloozas, and didn't actually end up being able to go either time :(. Ah well, this year, I am going to China with my wife for 3 weeks shortly after the bar exam.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:27 pm

Wtf, the federal rules don't let you use dying declaration in an attempted murder prosecution?

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Wtf, the federal rules don't let you use dying declaration in an attempted murder prosecution?

I said the exact same thing when I reviewed that one.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Bedsole wrote:
as stars burn wrote:The only thing getting me through these last 2 weeks is that I have Lollapalooza tickets for August 2. It's safe to say that there will be sheer joy as I walk out of UIC Pavilion on July 31 (granted I felt somewhat OK on the exam....)

I have been in Chicago for the last two Lollapaloozas, and didn't actually end up being able to go either time :(. Ah well, this year, I am going to China with my wife for 3 weeks shortly after the bar exam.

You should definitely go sometime. I haven't been yet, but my friends rave about going every summer. Tickets were a bitch to get though--I had around 7 browsers open trying to get tickets. Although China sounds fabulous! I went to Costa Rica before bar exam studying started directly after graduation, and I really wish I had saved that trip for after the bar. I feel like I'd enjoy it so much more. Have fun!!!!

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:33 pm

Just crushed a wills practice essay. Feeling great. About to do some MBE problems, which I'm sure will bring me back down to earth.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:Wtf, the federal rules don't let you use dying declaration in an attempted murder prosecution?

I said the exact same thing when I reviewed that one.

lol yep.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:58 pm

That one got me too.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:19 pm

Spent 2 hours on my Contracts outline. Still 62% on latest contracts MBE. *Sigh*. I'll just convince myself that a 62 will get scaled to a 70 and I will easily pass :)

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:20 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:

That one got me too.

only murder and civil, right, but not attempt? what's the explanation here for a non-themis bro?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:27 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:

That one got me too.

only murder and civil, right, but not attempt? what's the explanation here for a non-themis bro?

Yea you got it. Doesn't work for attempted Murder.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:39 pm

I say we all confess what topics we've just decided to say, "Screw it" and accept that we will feel like crap after writing the essay.

For me, it's the Business Association topics. I know enough buzz words to maybe get a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the points and the time I would need to spend between now and D-Day to be minimally competent is just not worth what it would do to my other sections.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm

^^^^ Agreed. I wrote to my adviser about it. She said: "That Admin essay was quite difficult. The answer, however, was covered in the Illinois Civil Procedure outline on pages 50-51, where Administrative Review Complaints are discussed. With this being said, if you come across an essay on the exam that you do not know the answer to – first, think about what subjects it could be addressing (often the IL essays address multiple subjects in one question), second, consider the facts and why each fact is included (sometimes it will give you hints as to the issues – i.e.: dates for filing), and third, state the rule that makes sense and state it affirmatively. Then move forward to apply it. Do not spend more than 30 minutes on the essay (whether you know the answer or not)."

All I wrote for my answer was: This was not covered in the lecture and outline and I have no clue.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:With this being said, if you come across an essay on the exam that you do not know the answer to – first, think about what subjects it could be addressing (often the IL essays address multiple subjects in one question), second, consider the facts and why each fact is included (sometimes it will give you hints as to the issues – i.e.: dates for filing), and third, state the rule that makes sense and state it affirmatively. Then move forward to apply it. Do not spend more than 30 minutes on the essay (whether you know the answer or not)."

This strategy could work in some contexts for sure, but where the question requires knowledge of a specific number of days, there is precious little room to BS rule statements.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:12 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Spent 2 hours on my Contracts outline. Still 62% on latest contracts MBE. *Sigh*. I'll just convince myself that a 62 will get scaled to a 70 and I will easily pass :)
Contracts can go jump off goddam bridge. I swear I even prefer Real Property to Contracts.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Bros, might be wrong, but in the intro material it says the MBE sets adjust to hit our weaknesses. If so this might be why they seem to be getting harder. But I call bullshit.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Bros, might be wrong, but in the intro material it says the MBE sets adjust to hit our weaknesses. If so this might be why they seem to be getting harder. But I call bullshit.

Maybe. It would explain why I get more Contracts questions and less Evidence questions.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:45 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Bros, might be wrong, but in the intro material it says the MBE sets adjust to hit our weaknesses. If so this might be why they seem to be getting harder. But I call bullshit.

BF warned me about this before I even began studying. You don't need practice for the things you have down-- you need practice for the minutiae you still haven't learned.

*sigh*

I'm gonna sleep for a solid week after this. I don't know how you're all going on vacation.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Not that I doubt you, but what material is this in? I'm impressed if Themis is actually customizing these problem sets. I assumed they were just harder questions.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:57 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:

Not that I doubt you, but what material is this in? I'm impressed if Themis is actually customizing these problem sets. I assumed they were just harder questions.

Enrolled Student Manual: "The MBE Test Bank is designed to work with your strengths and weaknesses within each MBE subject. Your first session will be a random selection of questions. In future sessions, you will see more questions in the areas in which you need more review. "

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Catleesi wrote:
elysiansmiles wrote:

Enrolled Student Manual: "The MBE Test Bank is designed to work with your strengths and weaknesses within each MBE subject. Your first session will be a random selection of questions. In future sessions, you will see more questions in the areas in which you need more review. "

Clever girl, Themis. Clever girl.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”