.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:56 pm

releasethehounds wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Pro: My grader complemented me on finding a valid issue in a graded essay that even the model answer missed.

Con: I obviously don't know how to TRAC contracts questions cause my essay got absolutely destroyed for structure. If there are multiple contracts in the essay do I really have to write out "In order for a valid contract there must be an offer, acceptance, consideration and capacity to enter into a contract" for both contracts and explain what each is? That seems pretty redundant to me if I just discussed it a paragraph ago for another contract. I also don't understand why I am analyzing how both parties had capacity to enter into a contract and satisfied the statute of frauds when the facts clearly didn't indicate that it would be an issue. Thats like discussing how parole evidence works and explaining why it doesn't apply in this case cause there is no evidence presented outside the contract.



Yeah that really seems like a waste of time and space, and I agree that it really doesn't make any sense. But that may be idiosyncratic to your grader, because mine has never ever had a problem with me skipping issues that aren't actually in the question's fact pattern. Because if you're going to have to go down the road of all the things that aren't present, it'd be like reteaching the class and who has the time.


The thing is, at least for the contracts essay that I am thinking of, the Model Answer had all those issues. My essay was like 3 paragraphs, the Model essay was like 9. There is no way I have that much time and energy to cover everything that also doesn't exist.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:11 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
Con: I obviously don't know how to TRAC contracts questions cause my essay got absolutely destroyed for structure. If there are multiple contracts in the essay do I really have to write out "In order for a valid contract there must be an offer, acceptance, consideration and capacity to enter into a contract" for both contracts and explain what each is? That seems pretty redundant to me if I just discussed it a paragraph ago for another contract. I also don't understand why I am analyzing how both parties had capacity to enter into a contract and satisfied the statute of frauds when the facts clearly didn't indicate that it would be an issue. Thats like discussing how parole evidence works and explaining why it doesn't apply in this case cause there is no evidence presented outside the contract.


For something like that, wouldn't it be helpful to just write TRAAC? Thesis, Rule for both, Apply for 1, Apply for 2, Conclude?

User avatar
Catleesi
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Catleesi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Colorado students--

It likely won't make a difference, but as a head's up-- Themis just sent us the MEE frequency chart, which shows that Commercial Paper is tested 70% of the time, and the Business Organizations topics are tested frequently as well. Last July, none of them were tested.

All that is to say, there's a pretty decent chance we can expect partnerships/agency/corporation/commercial paper to be tested on the essays, so if that's a trouble spot, here's your advance warning :(

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:43 pm

For those of you who want flashcards but did not make them, check out quizlet.

http://quizlet.com/12840568/criminal-la ... ash-cards/

Catleesi wrote:Colorado students--

It likely won't make a difference, but as a head's up-- Themis just sent us the MEE frequency chart, which shows that Commercial Paper is tested 70% of the time, and the Business Organizations topics are tested frequently as well. Last July, none of them were tested.

All that is to say, there's a pretty decent chance we can expect partnerships/agency/corporation/commercial paper to be tested on the essays, so if that's a trouble spot, here's your advance warning :(



I'm actually relieved about that set-up. I'd rather do Comm Paper than Wills, as I at least took Comm Paper in lawlskool. But where'd you see the July 2012 essays? From the CO bar website?

User avatar
Catleesi
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Catleesi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
I'm actually relieved about that set-up. I'd rather do Comm Paper than Wills, as I at least took Comm Paper in lawlskool. But where'd you see the July 2012 essays? From the CO bar website?


My boyfriend took July 2012.

I'm comfortable with commercial paper because I had a great teacher, but I might as well *not* have taken agency/partnerships/corporations. I'll try to get a better list of what *was* tested last year from him when he gets home from work.

But I feel like we can somewhat safely predict:
1. Federal Civil Procedure
2. Commercial Paper
3. Partnerships/Agency/Corporations

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
I'm actually relieved about that set-up. I'd rather do Comm Paper than Wills, as I at least took Comm Paper in lawlskool. But where'd you see the July 2012 essays? From the CO bar website?


My boyfriend took July 2012.

I'm comfortable with commercial paper because I had a great teacher, but I might as well *not* have taken agency/partnerships/corporations. I'll try to get a better list of what *was* tested last year from him when he gets home from work.

But I feel like we can somewhat safely predict:
1. Federal Civil Procedure
2. Commercial Paper
3. Partnerships/Agency/Corporations


In one of the intro lectures, Themis made it sound like 3 of the 6 essays will either come from MBE subjects or contain an MBE subject. I hope that holds true. I could easily see a Property/Wills question.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Bikeflip wrote:For those of you who want flashcards but did not make them, check out quizlet.


I made flash cards last night :cry:

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:04 pm

Bedsole wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:For those of you who want flashcards but did not make them, check out quizlet.


I made flash cards last night :cry:



I also just made a thread so everyone can see.
Here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213116

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Also for those of you who like flashcards, check out flashcardmachine.com. There's a database and definitely a law section. You'll actually probably find more than what you need there.

OR...I could make it easier...

http://www.flashcardmachine.com/law.html

edited because i keep finding better links.
Last edited by releasethehounds on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm

releasethehounds wrote:Also for those of you who like flashcards, check out flashcardmachine.com. There's a database and definitely a law section. You'll actually probably find more than what you need there.



Add em to the thread, brehsef. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213116

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
releasethehounds wrote:Also for those of you who like flashcards, check out flashcardmachine.com. There's a database and definitely a law section. You'll actually probably find more than what you need there.



Add em to the thread, brehsef. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=213116



Done and done son.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:12 pm

releasethehounds wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
releasethehounds wrote:Also for those of you who like flashcards, check out flashcardmachine.com. There's a database and definitely a law section. You'll actually probably find more than what you need there.



Add em to the thread, brehsef. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=213116



Done and done son.



tyty

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I particularly like that on flashcardmachine there's a set called 'FECK CONTRACTS!' but. you know. not censored.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

releasethehounds wrote:I particularly like that on flashcardmachine there's a set called 'FECK CONTRACTS!' but. you know. not censored.



Don't puss out. Say the werd.

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
releasethehounds wrote:I particularly like that on flashcardmachine there's a set called 'FECK CONTRACTS!' but. you know. not censored.



Don't puss out. Say the werd.


FUCK CONTRACTS!

I'm just used to boards that like...punish me and don't let me post for 5 days if I use such language.

calibred
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby calibred » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Anyone else have a tough time sitting down and committing remedies rules to memory? I have such a strong urge to bullshit and just use common sense.

Vatican
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Vatican » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:17 pm

(a URL must be clicked, if at all, within 21 years of a life in being at the time it was linked)
Last edited by Vatican on Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:20 pm

Vatican wrote:
(a URL must be clicked, if at all, within 21 years of a life in being at the time it was linked)


Kill the wise one!

Srsly thanks though.

User avatar
Catleesi
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Catleesi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:34 pm

Is anyone else on the struggle bus with essays? I feel ok with the MBE and MPT but the MEE is going to destroy me. It takes me maybe ten minutes to do a practice essay because either a) I don't know the law or b) I'm just not detailed enough.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Catleesi wrote:Is anyone else on the struggle bus with essays? I feel ok with the MBE and MPT but the MEE is going to destroy me. It takes me maybe ten minutes to do a practice essay because either a) I don't know the law or b) I'm just not detailed enough.



If you're struggling with the law, go find the old essays and answers. I posted a link a page or so back about where to find actual MEE questions and answers. Look over those. What I would do is make an basic outline for each question (say 10 min or so) and then double check your outline to the model. I noticed that when I made an outline, I would have more to say and could see the nuances better. The writing element wasn't as important for me, as I could get everything I wanted down on paper within 30 minutes. I just never to recall the law better. I'd do one subject per day. Say review civ pro for 30 min and then find the civ pro essays, outline the essays, review the essays. The down side is that it may have you 3 hours: 30 min rev, 60 min for 5 outlines, 90 min review.

User avatar
Catleesi
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Catleesi » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:02 pm

And a quick poll--

When Themis tells you "Review ____ Outline, Notes and Lecture" how long would you say you spend on that task? Are you spending as much time as you did when you first read the outlines in June?

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Catleesi wrote:And a quick poll--

When Themis tells you "Review ____ Outline, Notes and Lecture" how long would you say you spend on that task? Are you spending as much time as you did when you first read the outlines in June?


Nah, depends on the subject and it depends on how much work I've done on it. For each topic, I've made some distilled notecards based on those outlines (ie 1-2 notecards per chapter, as opposed to making my own condensed outlines though in the end it's six of one, half a dozen of the other i suppose) and answers from essay questions I've had on the topics. So I just review the notecards a few times and when I'm done, I'm done. So for example, I have a good handle on corps/partnerships/agency, so I probably spend maybe an hour on each. If that.

But Trusts and Wills are oddly difficult for me despite having JUST taken a class on them, as is Civ Pro, so I tend to review the filled out outlines a little more carefully, make more notecards, do more passes with those notecards, review more essay answers, listen to some lectures again (which makes me sad because I can't stand Tiersma, he is the creepiest old man I've ever had the misfortune of having to try to learn from plus for my learning style he's a very ineffective lecturer, but whatever I'm sure he works for many other people), look to the longer outlines for clarification, sometimes I'll seek out some CALI lectures on the topic or some kind of dumbed down information elsewhere on the web because I just need the information other ways. So reviewing Trusts or Wills or Civ Pro effectively for me could take a few hours. More subjects that are rule/test heavy (like civ pro and con law and evidence) tend to take more of my time (and notecards) too, where I couldn't honestly give a fuck about conflict of laws or commercial paper--subjects that, to me, seem more idea oriented and less rule/test oriented

I tend not to read the long outlines again unless I need clarification on something--I've accepted that I'll miss detail points, but I've also accepted that I can only retain so much information and there's 15+ subjects I need to know. I just don't have that kind of time, particularly when my mind starts to wander and I realize I've been reading the same page or two over and over and over again and have retained nothing.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Holy god. MBE7.

User avatar
Agoraphobia
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Agoraphobia » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm

I would really like to hear others' thoughts on the IL Admin practice essay once you take it. I found it way out of left field and could not answer one single part of the question, even digging through the large IL outline.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Catleesi wrote:Is anyone else on the struggle bus with essays? I feel ok with the MBE and MPT but the MEE is going to destroy me. It takes me maybe ten minutes to do a practice essay because either a) I don't know the law or b) I'm just not detailed enough.


I'm on the bus for certain subjects for sure--this really goes for the MBE too. Commercial Paper, Secured Trans, Real Property and Evidence scare the shit out of me as far as essays are concerned. I'd say agency/partnerships/corporations essays are my strongest. I did a couple Commercial Paper essays today and at least hit on some of the issues so I'm hoping with a little more review I'll be alright, but Secured Trans is what really scares me. I need to read through the big outline because the lectures just didn't do it for me. Although, shout out to Agoraphobia for the awesome mini-attack outline :) I can feel it in my bones that either Comm Paper or Secured Trans is going to show up.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: from the islands, Spartan_Alum_12 and 6 guests