locusdelicti

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:29 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
I'd slow it down to 1.5 speed and push through the practice questions. This will be the third bar exam I've taken, and let me tell you, if you don't put in the time, you're not going to be ready. I say this having passed one and failed one. I fucked around on the second one and I didn't make it through. Try to focus.

All true. I was doing Torts on 2X today, but I spent more time on review. I was up to around 80%. Granted it's Torts, but I have better identified my study problem. I can keep up and understand the lecture at 2X speed, but then I go right to the questions after powering through all 10 lectures, and there may be 10 lectures. By then, I've forgotten all about lecture 1. After reviewing more heavily today, and doing some flashcards, the material remained in my short-term memory. So I'll stay with the 2X speed and focus way more on review.

Another thing I'm doing wrong is breezing through the questions. I'm only taking about a minute per question, and I think I'm not giving myself time to think the whole problem through or review the fact pattern to find anything dispositive.

These issues relate back to my overall problem: I'm impatient. Rushing through the material isn't helping me.

It's hard not to. I'm also impatient, and I have adult ADD. I have my past failure spurring me to do everything right, but it's a struggle not to give in to distractions and also not to rush. I did the practice Performance Test for PA today, and I wanted so much to blow it off, but I didn't. Eventually your mind gets to a place where it knows it's time to buckle down. The first few practice essays I did, I kind of just issue spotted and didn't really try to write an essay. Now I make an effort. But it suuuuucked.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 pm

JD_done wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:What's a good PDF to Word program? I was using Mac's Automator app to make a PDF to Word (really RTF) script, but that method deletes the spaces between words. Idonotwanttokeepaddingthespacesbackin.

I signed up for Adobe Create online. It's a monthly subscription.

https://www.acrobat.com/landing/en/cpdf ... =60242:0:0

Free, online, and usually more accurate that Acrobat:

http://www.pdftoword.com/

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Kramer (property bro)'s voice is legit putting me to sleep.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Yeah that was a real struggle to get through property. Done a couple MBE tests and mired in the low 60s, really hate not having studied mortgages, Themis seems obsessed with them.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
CaliBum wrote:
antonious13 wrote:
kalvano wrote:What percent done should we be at, approximately?

Good question. I'm sitting at 11% done. Of course, property makes me want to gouge my eyes out so it's taking time to get through.

And for this, I blame Kramer. His babbling is horrendous. Bring John Jeffries back!

Real Property Moby went off on too many tangents.

Oh man, "Real Property Moby"... that just made me chortle.

Seriously though. He was the worst lecturer I've had so far. And his loud gulps of water followed by smacking every three minutes drove me up the wall. So far, I've found Torts to be a relief from doing Real Property. Sad, isn't it?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:25 am

Considering how completely lost I have been on my Con Law practice essays, I'm really not looking forward to a graded Con Law essay today.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:25 am

CyLaw wrote:Considering how completely lost I have been on my Con Law practice essays, I'm really not looking forward to a graded Con Law essay today.

Which state has you write Con Law essays?

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

HETPE3B wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Considering how completely lost I have been on my Con Law practice essays, I'm really not looking forward to a graded Con Law essay today.

I have to write Con Law essays for PA and NJ.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:29 pm

HETPE3B wrote:

CA does.

And considering I got reamed by the third practice essay the other day, I'm not looking forward to this graded essay either.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm

antonious13 wrote:
HETPE3B wrote:

CA does.

And considering I got reamed by the third practice essay the other day, I'm not looking forward to this graded essay either.

Can someone confirm that NY does not? Themis doesn't have any con law practice essays.

mjj

Postby mjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Is anyone else having trouble fullscreening? It was fine last week, but this week when I try to fullscreen I hear the audio, but the video is just black with "flowplayer" in the middle; when I press escape to unfullscreen I get the video, but it plays in the entire window (if that makes sense) and there's no way to make it tiny again, so I have to close and reopen the screen to get to the assessment link. I'm using Safari.

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Oh man, that graded con law essay drained me. I'm so worried that I missed the issue entirely.

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:36 pm

mjj wrote:Is anyone else having trouble fullscreening? It was fine last week, but this week when I try to fullscreen I hear the audio, but the video is just black with "flowplayer" in the middle; when I press escape to unfullscreen I get the video, but it plays in the entire window (if that makes sense) and there's no way to make it tiny again, so I have to close and reopen the screen to get to the assessment link. I'm using Safari.

This happens to me as well and I'm using Chrome. Though I've come to terms with not using fullscreen, so I haven't been bothered by it.

mjj

Postby mjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:39 pm

CaliBum wrote:
mjj wrote:Is anyone else having trouble fullscreening? It was fine last week, but this week when I try to fullscreen I hear the audio, but the video is just black with "flowplayer" in the middle; when I press escape to unfullscreen I get the video, but it plays in the entire window (if that makes sense) and there's no way to make it tiny again, so I have to close and reopen the screen to get to the assessment link. I'm using Safari.

This happens to me as well and I'm using Chrome. Though I've come to terms with not using fullscreen, so I haven't been bothered by it.

Yeah, I've just found that full screening minimizes distractions for me.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:07 pm

OMG MORTGAGE LAW IS SO INTERESTING

mjj

Postby mjj » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 pm

So what, if anything, actually happens if we don't submit our graded essays on the due date?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:49 pm

HETPE3B wrote:

MD tests federal Con Law with all the questions pretty much being explain why the proposed Maryland statute is unconstitutional.

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

forza wrote:OMG MORTGAGE LAW IS SO INTERESTING

...said no one ever!

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 pm

CaliBum wrote:
forza wrote:OMG MORTGAGE LAW IS SO INTERESTING

...said no one ever!

This!

I feel I did okay on the 1st 2 parts and bombed on the 3rd. We'll see how it went. Probably terrible.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:21 pm

I can't believe I forgot to talk about Due Process on a Con Law essay. That should be a given right? How did I even graduate law school?

So what, if anything, actually happens if we don't submit our graded essays on the due date?

They'll probably send you a neutrally emotioned email to encourage you to get it in. Then they will frown slightly on the inside, while outside they still smile. Also, I think you have until the 28th(?) to get the first four in.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Birdthistle for Agency, Corps and Partnership is "funny," when compared to Moby in Property.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:34 am

I thought Property Moby's story about the plumber who wouldn't leave his house for two hours and ate his food was funny.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 am

forza wrote:I thought Property Moby's story about the plumber who wouldn't leave his house for two hours and ate his food was funny.

Moby gave off a weakling vibe. I bet he's had his lunch money stolen.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

I could probably find this info somewhere if I weren't so lazy, but does anybody know if Themis's MBE PQs are actual MBE questions? I mean, they seem fine, but I get mildly paranoid whenever I'm studying for a standardized test but not using official questions. (I've done a lot of SAT/LSAT tutoring and know what a shitty job some test prep companies can do when they try to make up their own questions.)

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”