releasethehounds

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Birdthistle's mannerisms in 2x are a joy.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 pm

Reinhardt wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone know if on the Milestone exams the "Average Ranking" means what percentile you are, or what the average % correct was?

It's got to be the average % correct, because Milestone 2 was showing me that number before I even took it. 69 and 71, right?

Mine isn't show number 2, but yea 1 is 69. Thanks!

JD_done

Postby JD_done » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:50 pm

releasethehounds wrote:100% ON PROPERTY!! Oh. Only one property question in the set? damn.

This exactly. It's so cruel.

rsg87

Postby rsg87 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 pm

This maybe a stupid question but does anybody know if the MBE practice sets are actual MBE questions or just questions Themis made up? Just trying to gauge the difficulty of the actual MBE.

forza

Postby forza » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Jesus. Six hours of review and checked off 6 "review XYZ lectures, handouts, outlines, notes" tasks and nary a percentage increase.

Making me feel great about my progress, Themis.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 pm

rsg87 wrote:This maybe a stupid question but does anybody know if the MBE practice sets are actual MBE questions or just questions Themis made up? Just trying to gauge the difficulty of the actual MBE.

Look at the bottom of any given question. usually Themis has something like. "This is an actual bar question, but Themis modified it to reflect the current bar format. This modification has not been endorsed by the bar examiners."
Last edited by Bikeflip on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:07 pm

So I was trying to go through subjects to figure out which subjects I can stop reviewing rabidly because I have a decent handle on it and which ones I feel clueless about. And now that I've compared those to the most frequently tested MEE subjects in Arizona.......All of my weakest subjects are tested 70%+ of the time. Civ Pro is 100%. Gross.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:08 pm

releasethehounds wrote:Birdthistle's mannerisms in 2x are a joy.

I seriously LOVE that man. He teaches at my law school, and I took him for Bus Orgs. I feel extremely comfortable with Agency and Corps essay questions because of him. He was seriously the best, and pretty hilarious in class :D

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:10 pm

releasethehounds wrote:So I was trying to go through subjects to figure out which subjects I can stop reviewing rabidly because I have a decent handle on it and which ones I feel clueless about. And now that I've compared those to the most frequently tested MEE subjects in Arizona.......All of my weakest subjects are tested 70%+ of the time. Civ Pro is 100%. Gross.

Where are you all finding this most/least tested on the MEE info? Reviewing the MEE lecture videos from way back in the day, it looks like the MBE will be 3 of the 6 essays.
Last edited by Bikeflip on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:13 pm

as stars burn wrote:

I seriously LOVE that man. He teaches at my law school, and I took him for Bus Orgs. I feel extremely comfortable with Agency and Corps essay questions because of him. He was seriously the best, and pretty hilarious in class :D

He's pretty amusing, I'm glad Themis had him handle corps/agency/partnerships. I had by chance seen a few of his youtube videos--one of them has Doug from Scrubs in it, who i always forget ended up going to law school. I wonder if, based on his character in Scrubs, he'll lose business because people will think he's inept.

Bikeflip wrote:Where are you all finding this most/least tested info?

It was in the email Themis sent on the my program's start day. There were three attachments: a breakdown of Arizona's bar exam, the 'permanent' schedule and then a separate chart with most tested MEE subjects from the last 5 years.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:16 pm

releasethehounds wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Where are you all finding this most/least tested info?

It was in the email Themis sent on the my program's start day. There were three attachments: a breakdown of Arizona's bar exam, the 'permanent' schedule and then a separate chart with most tested MEE subjects from the last 5 years.

K. They had an MBE breakdown in that packet. Lemme go see if I also got an MEE breakdown.

Damn, I don't have it.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Reinhardt wrote: 69 and 71, right?

Same here.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:29 pm

Also, All 9 of Feb's 2013 MEE questions. Choose 6: --LinkRemoved--

And 1999-2008 questions: --LinkRemoved--

I'm making a list.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:55 pm

Birdthistle reminds me of Harry Potter I liked him at first but by the end I wanted to hit him in the mouth.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 pm

He reminds me of Seth MacFarlane

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Also, All 9 of Feb's 2013 MEE questions. Choose 6: --LinkRemoved--

And 1999-2008 questions: --LinkRemoved--

I'm making a list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

Done. Few comments: MBE questions were not added until like 2008. I didn't really look for the Conflict of Laws questions. I did thi while watching baseball; if you notice any errors, lemme know.

Family 19 0.95
Agency 11 0.55
Parter 11 0.55
Corps 12 0.6
Estate & Wills 17 0.85
Trusts 13 0.65
Civ Pro 19 0.95
Sec Trans 16 0.8
Comm Paper 17 0.85

As it stands now, the MEE is 3 questions from the MBE and 3 other questions. At least how I understand it. The bar examiners make 9 questions-3 MBE 6 MEE- and have the individual bars choose 6.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:35 pm

WWAD wrote:He reminds me of Seth MacFarlane
Good call. I knew he reminded me of somebody.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:17 pm

So it seems like some essay questions (Texas bar) will just be really short answers? I guess I am so used to law school essay questions where anything less than 4 trillion words is a guaranteed "C", but I typed less than 1,000 words for Texas Real Property graded essay and got an almost perfect score.

What am I missing?

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Looking over the schedule for next week, I have a simulated essay exam on Wednesday - three tasks, supposed to be 6-7 hours. On Thursday, they say "spend as much time reviewing the essay model answers as you spent taking the test" but put the "review essays exam answers" task along with two 50 question MBE sets and 3 "review subject" tasks....
So I spend 6 hours reviewing my essay exam, then 3 hours taking MBE questions, then 3 hours reviewing MBE questions, and then... an hour maybe each for the "review subject" tasks? That's 6+3+3+3=15 hours of work. In one day. On the suggested schedule.

Seriously? Not to mention that I'm a little behind and have been trying to do extra tasks every day to catch up.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:33 pm

kalvano wrote:So it seems like some essay questions (Texas bar) will just be really short answers? I guess I am so used to law school essay questions where anything less than 4 trillion words is a guaranteed "C", but I typed less than 1,000 words for Texas Real Property graded essay and got an almost perfect score.

What am I missing?

Here is what my adviser told me. Mind you, this is for PA, so it may not be quite as true for you, but here goes:

When future interests get hit on the bar exam, they usually go after you in rapid fire mode; hitting 3-4 issues and splitting them up in to separate questions. This throws people off sometimes, because they feel like they need to write a treatise for each one. Remember, no matter how short the answer, stick to your essay structure. Have a strong opening sentence, state your rule, and give your analysis, then move on.

CrawlIntoAHole

Postby CrawlIntoAHole » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:36 pm

Anyone able to send me a filled-in ConLaw handout? Thanks!

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:49 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Looking over the schedule for next week, I have a simulated essay exam on Wednesday - three tasks, supposed to be 6-7 hours. On Thursday, they say "spend as much time reviewing the essay model answers as you spent taking the test" but put the "review essays exam answers" task along with two 50 question MBE sets and 3 "review subject" tasks....
So I spend 6 hours reviewing my essay exam, then 3 hours taking MBE questions, then 3 hours reviewing MBE questions, and then... an hour maybe each for the "review subject" tasks? That's 6+3+3+3=15 hours of work. In one day. On the suggested schedule.

Seriously? Not to mention that I'm a little behind and have been trying to do extra tasks every day to catch up.

I've had the same thing happen where I'm getting 16 hours of work scheduled (And I'm ahead of my task schedule though not by much more than a day). I've decided I really need to give up the dream and from here just say screw the task schedule, I know I need to actually just learn me some civ pro, secured transactions and contracts, and spend a bit less time on agency, corporations, property and con law. I figure the task schedule has no clue what I'm getting and what I'm not, and I unfortunately at least know what I'm not getting, so as long as I hit the 75% mark by bar time I'll consider it a success.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Also I'm starting to condense each chapter of outlines down to a single notecard. And this is working well enough that I want to hit myself in the face with an iron bar for not figuring this out sooner. NO IDEA how i graduated law school with NO IDEA how to study properly. My advisor keeps saying 'you know how you study best' and I just want to wail and scream that I don't.

overreaction?

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:59 pm

elysiansmiles wrote:Looking over the schedule for next week, I have a simulated essay exam on Wednesday - three tasks, supposed to be 6-7 hours. On Thursday, they say "spend as much time reviewing the essay model answers as you spent taking the test" but put the "review essays exam answers" task along with two 50 question MBE sets and 3 "review subject" tasks....

They gave me 13 tasks on Thursday. I guess that's on top of the 6 hours reviewing the essays... hahahahaha

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 am

In practice, I might've ended up doing the same. I made 20 flash cards meant to hit all of the most important topics of the FRE today. Here's my headings:

Relevance
When should relevant evidence be excluded?
Judicial Notice
Hearsay
"Non-hearsay"
What's an unavailable declarant?
Hearsay Exceptions: Unavailable Declarant
Hearsay Exceptions: Availability Irrelevant
Best Evidence Rule
Plain Error Rule
Ancient Documents
Expert Witness
Improper Questioning
Character Evidence
Prior Bad Acts
Impeachment via character for untruthfulness
Impeachment via criminal convictions
Impeachment via other methods
Spousal Privileges
Public Policy Exclusions

Probably missing a lot, but we only need to pass...

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”