BarbellDreams

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:38 pm

I just went 0/4 on Con Law for MBE Mixed 3. Awesome.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Condensing outlines takes too long. This is awful.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 pm

I finished condensing my MBE outlines today. I'm going to begin the memorization process and hope to finish by Tuesday (along with taking the simulated MBE).

Beginning tuesday I plan on turning my attention to the state law portion of the test. I've done all the lectures and have outlined, but that's it. :(

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Bedsole wrote:Condensing outlines takes too long. This is awful.

Plus I decided I was going to do flashcards for the longest time, did a bunch of those instead, and then changed my mind.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Did anyone watch this "Simulated MBE Workshop" lecture? Was it worth it or a skip? Looks like its on basic strategies, but I wonder if my time would be better spent learning the law.

Themis Bar Review

Postby Themis Bar Review » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:00 pm

Talar wrote:I've found some inconsistencies between the Themis outline/handouts for my state and what the actual law really is and it's pissed me off and kind of made me nervous because I'm wondering now how much else is wrong. Argh.

If you feel that you've found an issue with your study materials, please submit a message to your director by selecting "Substantive Law" from the Question Type dropdown box.

EJ
Themis Bar Review

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Did anyone watch this "Simulated MBE Workshop" lecture? Was it worth it or a skip? Looks like its on basic strategies, but I wonder if my time would be better spent learning the law.

Eh, it's a waste of time. You won't miss anything if you skip it.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Condensing outlines takes too long. This is awful.

Plus I decided I was going to do flashcards for the longest time, did a bunch of those instead, and then changed my mind.

I hear you. I'm STILL condensing outlines, but I'm getting there. I'll probably continue to condense throughout this week so I have a nice 5 pages per subject by the end of the week to look over for the last week. I sure as hell hope that's enough. I'm still terrified about memorizing all this shit for the exam.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Hey guys and gals, I thought I'd share my spark sheet for Contracts, Commercial Paper and Suretyship. You can download the document here via Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3m4bznkiabna ... 0Sheet.doc :D (Let me know if you have issues, but it should work hopefully).

I'm sitting for Illinois but this might help others if you're just looking to get your hands on an outline that will "spark" rules and such. The subjects are condensed into 4.5 pages total. I made them first year and second year when I took the classes. I'm crazy when it comes to outlines...I have so many outlines for everything. It really has helped prepping for the bar though. Anyway, hope someone can use them!

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:35 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Agoraphobia wrote:Did anyone watch this "Simulated MBE Workshop" lecture? Was it worth it or a skip? Looks like its on basic strategies, but I wonder if my time would be better spent learning the law.

Well, the handout is kind of useful. It has some good charts on it.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:39 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
as stars burn wrote:

Well, the handout is kind of useful. It has some good charts on it.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yes, the handout is very helpful!

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm starting to feel like I somehow graduated law school without ever learning how to study. I definitely came into law school not knowing how to study effectively. It's more a product of laziness I'm sure, but the idea of outlines and flashcards are daunting to me which is causing me to waste time debating whether either or both would be beneficial...even though i used both for school.

calibred

Postby calibred » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Quick question: If an officer has a warrant, but doesn't knock and announce, are there no consequences? I'm not totally understanding the point of the rule.

JD_done

Postby JD_done » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:21 pm

calibred wrote:Quick question: If an officer has a warrant, but doesn't knock and announce, are there no consequences? I'm not totally understanding the point of the rule.

I believe the exclusionary rule is not triggered by the failure of officers to knock and announce before executing a valid search warrant. Although the officers are required to do this under state laws, it is not a right that is guaranteed by the 4th Amendment. I think it means that any evidence obtained is not an 'unreasonable search' just because the officers failed to knock and announce. If there is no warrant, then the search is unreasonable.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 pm

JD_done wrote:
calibred wrote:Quick question: If an officer has a warrant, but doesn't knock and announce, are there no consequences? I'm not totally understanding the point of the rule.

I believe the exclusionary rule is not triggered by the failure of officers to knock and announce before executing a valid search warrant. Although the officers are required to do this under state laws, it is not a right that is guaranteed by the 4th Amendment. I think it means that any evidence obtained is not an 'unreasonable search' just because the officers failed to knock and announce. If there is no warrant, then the search is unreasonable.

Adding to that, knock and announce only gives you about 1 second of a reasonable expectation of privacy. By the warrant stage, police already have probable cause, they demonstrated that cause to a neutral magistrate, and the police have outlined where they are going to go/what they are looking for.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
JD_done wrote:

Adding to that, knock and announce only gives you about 1 second of a reasonable expectation of privacy. By the warrant stage, police already have probable cause, they demonstrated that cause to a neutral magistrate, and the police have outlined where they are going to go/what they are looking for.

Yeah, the whole purpose behind knock and announce is to just give people time to put on clothes or something if they are naked. Some courts also use the reasoning that because police had a valid warrant, inevitable discovery would have occurred regardless of then knocking and announcing.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Alright, New York C.P.L.R. Time for you and me to get real comfortable.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm

balzie94 wrote:All I know is that I'm gonna need some help if Secured Transactions makes it onto the IL bar...

Me and you both. I have so much law floating in my head, and Secured is completely foreign to me. I'm going to need prayers if it shows up.....

calibred

Postby calibred » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks, that helped to clear things up for knock and announce.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:06 pm

So, yeah . . . when in doubt, six years.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:11 pm

forza wrote:Image

So, yeah . . . when in doubt, six years.

Thanks duder. Is this state specific? I cannot recall really going over SoL.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:13 pm

It's New York C.P.L.R.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:20 pm

forza wrote:It's New York C.P.L.R.

Phew. Was worried for a second.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I was worried as well. I thought I had missed a major section of a topic or something.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”