.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby yeff » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:07 pm

as stars burn wrote:I'm starting to think that getting to 75% is going to be a serious stretch for me. I still have Comm Paper and Secured Trans Lectures to get through, and I have yet to take any practice MPTs. Yikes. I need to get this shit done by the end of this weekend.


:) woooo I just crossed 50% today :oops: but know I'm gonna get there, so you've got it for sure.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:09 pm

Crim ID#185 wrote:One afternoon, while driving a co-worker home, a man suffered a seizure and suddenly lost consciousness. While he was unconscious, he drove off the road and slammed his car into a brick wall. As a result of the impact, the man's passenger was killed. The man was a diagnosed epileptic, had suffered several seizures in the past, and recently had voluntarily stopped taking a medication intended to control recurrences. The man was charged with common-law involuntary manslaughter, and was convicted. On appeal, the defendant contends that his conviction should be reversed. How should the appellate court rule on the appeal?
Answers
Reverse the conviction, because the man's reckless actions did not manifest extreme indifference to the value of human life.
Reverse the conviction, because the man did not commit an act sufficient to satisfy the actus reus requirement.
Affirm the conviction, because the man voluntarily stopped taking his anti-seizure medication.
Affirm the conviction, because the man engaged in reckless and criminally negligent behavior.
Rationale:
Answer choice D is correct. If an epileptic knows of the possibility of a seizure and engages in the voluntary act of driving a car, has a seizure while driving, and causes a fatal accident, the epileptic is criminally responsible. While the man's act of driving into the brick wall was performed while experiencing a seizure, and thus was not volitional and does not satisfy the actus reus requirement, the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from the condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice A is incorrect because it states the requirements for a depraved heart murder conviction; here, the man was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Answer choice B is incorrect because the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from his condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice C is incorrect because, while ceasing to take anti-seizure medication may have increased the man's risk of suffering a seizure, it cannot, standing alone, support criminal liability. The negligent act was driving the car after failing to take this medication.




FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Why do you think you can't get 10% in 2 whole weeks? I am at 61% right now and I can guarantee you I will finish 80%+ by the end of the course. 2% per day has been my usual lately.


I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Charles Barkley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 pm

as stars burn wrote:I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.


This.

I started studying today at 3 pm.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Bikeflip » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:34 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Crim ID#185 wrote:One afternoon, while driving a co-worker home, a man suffered a seizure and suddenly lost consciousness. While he was unconscious, he drove off the road and slammed his car into a brick wall. As a result of the impact, the man's passenger was killed. The man was a diagnosed epileptic, had suffered several seizures in the past, and recently had voluntarily stopped taking a medication intended to control recurrences. The man was charged with common-law involuntary manslaughter, and was convicted. On appeal, the defendant contends that his conviction should be reversed. How should the appellate court rule on the appeal?
Answers
Reverse the conviction, because the man's reckless actions did not manifest extreme indifference to the value of human life.
Reverse the conviction, because the man did not commit an act sufficient to satisfy the actus reus requirement.
Affirm the conviction, because the man voluntarily stopped taking his anti-seizure medication.
Affirm the conviction, because the man engaged in reckless and criminally negligent behavior.
Rationale:
Answer choice D is correct. If an epileptic knows of the possibility of a seizure and engages in the voluntary act of driving a car, has a seizure while driving, and causes a fatal accident, the epileptic is criminally responsible. While the man's act of driving into the brick wall was performed while experiencing a seizure, and thus was not volitional and does not satisfy the actus reus requirement, the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from the condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice A is incorrect because it states the requirements for a depraved heart murder conviction; here, the man was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Answer choice B is incorrect because the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from his condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice C is incorrect because, while ceasing to take anti-seizure medication may have increased the man's risk of suffering a seizure, it cannot, standing alone, support criminal liability. The negligent act was driving the car after failing to take this medication.




FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU


That once caught me out, too. I think it's the fact that he knew he had seizures, stopped taking his meds, but continued driving that got me to the answer. What I don't like is that his acts may not be illegal under this question, though it was probably really reckless.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm

rsg87 wrote:Anyone here taking Florida? Those essays for Commercial Paper and the Florida Multiple Choice are pretty tough.


Aww, I'm from Florida! Born and raised 8) I'll probably be sitting for Florida next year just for the sake of my family and friends although I don't intend on ever moving back.

If it's any consolation, I have a friend who sat for Illinois last July and then Florida that following February, and she barely studied in between moving, working part-time at Publix, etc., and she passed. Granted, she said she didn't really study any MBE material because it was all so fresh.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.


This.

I started studying today at 3 pm.


I started around 3 pm today as well! [well, I did force myself to do some light outlining a bit earlier, but didn't start any Themis stuff until about 3 pm.] 1 p.m. seems to be my average start time haha. I literately was in a coma last night--didn't wake up until noon. I am so not a morning person. Taking this exam at 9am is really what's going to kill me.
Last edited by as stars burn on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Charles Barkley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:41 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.


This.

I started studying today at 3 pm.


I started around 3 pm today as well! 1 p.m. seems to be my average start time haha. I literately was in a coma last night--didn't wake up until noon. I am so not a morning person. Taking this exam at 9am is really what's going to kill me.


Are you going to begin waking up early to prepare before the test? I'm thinking about beginning to train myself to wake up early beginning Monday.

But I've been telling myself I would start for the last two weeks now...

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
as stars burn wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.


This.

I started studying today at 3 pm.


I started around 3 pm today as well! 1 p.m. seems to be my average start time haha. I literately was in a coma last night--didn't wake up until noon. I am so not a morning person. Taking this exam at 9am is really what's going to kill me.


Are you going to begin waking up early to prepare before the test? I'm thinking about beginning to train myself to wake up early beginning Monday.

But I've been telling myself I would start for the last two weeks now...


I've been trying to do it. Does going to bed at 11:30pm versus 2am count? I'm a hardcore night owl, and I could sleep 13-16 hours with no problem. Aside from today, I have been waking up around 9am though so I'm not doing too bad.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Crim ID#185 wrote:One afternoon, while driving a co-worker home, a man suffered a seizure and suddenly lost consciousness. While he was unconscious, he drove off the road and slammed his car into a brick wall. As a result of the impact, the man's passenger was killed. The man was a diagnosed epileptic, had suffered several seizures in the past, and recently had voluntarily stopped taking a medication intended to control recurrences. The man was charged with common-law involuntary manslaughter, and was convicted. On appeal, the defendant contends that his conviction should be reversed. How should the appellate court rule on the appeal?
Answers
Reverse the conviction, because the man's reckless actions did not manifest extreme indifference to the value of human life.
Reverse the conviction, because the man did not commit an act sufficient to satisfy the actus reus requirement.
Affirm the conviction, because the man voluntarily stopped taking his anti-seizure medication.
Affirm the conviction, because the man engaged in reckless and criminally negligent behavior.
Rationale:
Answer choice D is correct. If an epileptic knows of the possibility of a seizure and engages in the voluntary act of driving a car, has a seizure while driving, and causes a fatal accident, the epileptic is criminally responsible. While the man's act of driving into the brick wall was performed while experiencing a seizure, and thus was not volitional and does not satisfy the actus reus requirement, the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from the condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice A is incorrect because it states the requirements for a depraved heart murder conviction; here, the man was convicted of involuntary manslaughter. Answer choice B is incorrect because the man's act of driving the car while knowingly suffering from his condition is considered a sufficient actus reus. Answer choice C is incorrect because, while ceasing to take anti-seizure medication may have increased the man's risk of suffering a seizure, it cannot, standing alone, support criminal liability. The negligent act was driving the car after failing to take this medication.




FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU


That once caught me out, too. I think it's the fact that he knew he had seizures, stopped taking his meds, but continued driving that got me to the answer. What I don't like is that his acts may not be illegal under this question, though it was probably really reckless.


What pisses me off is that C is just most of the reason for concluding D.

locusdelicti
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby locusdelicti » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
That once caught me out, too. I think it's the fact that he knew he had seizures, stopped taking his meds, but continued driving that got me to the answer. What I don't like is that his acts may not be illegal under this question, though it was probably really reckless.


What pisses me off is that C is just most of the reason for concluding D.


I picked C. I thought this question was stupid. Stupid!

TheBeard
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby TheBeard » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:
as stars burn wrote:I'm just seriously burning out, and it's just taking me longer to get things done because I either start studying later in the day or just flat can't focus. My apartment is currently a complete mess because we just moved in so I get distracted with trying to unpack boxes here and there haha.


This.

I started studying today at 3 pm.


I'm definitely burning out. I ended up taking the afternoon off today. No sense in studying when stuff is just not sticking. I ended up going to dinner, had a few drinks, and I'm watching baseball for the rest of the evening.

User avatar
Reinhardt
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 2:27 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Reinhardt » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Holy shit the last few chapters of the California trusts lecture were awful. Dude did not follow the handout at all, or I'm losing all focus, or some combination of the two. At least these awful videos are done.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 pm

It is taking everything I have to get through these last 5 Commercial Paper lectures, which means I will have completed 1 task today (hoping to do the graded essay and a mixed MBE at least after this). Holy fail.

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

In trying to compare how on-track I am, I looked ahead on my permanent calendar (the one they emailed on day one) and there's this note from Themis that for every essay or MBE set that I'm supposed to answer from here on out, I should be taking an equal amount of time to review the answers. And then they're doing things like scheduling 7 essays (not an exaggeration), 7 30-minute reviews and one 100 question set. Under their estimation, it'd be six hours for the question set (with review), seven hours for the essays (with review), and three and a half hours for the reviews. In one day. I...do not have the focus for a 16-17 hours of studying. Assuming I take zero breaks.

I realize that it's better to overwork now so that when I get to the exam I won't burnout halfway through the first day, but that's....that's just a bit ridiculous.

User avatar
Agoraphobia
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Agoraphobia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:10 pm

I'm at the point where I *Know* that condensing the Contracts outline to a small outline is going to benefit me more than doing yet another Family Law practice essay. I think I'm going to just outline the essays from here on out. Time is running short.

User avatar
Catleesi
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Catleesi » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:31 pm

Ok I am BEYOND frustrated right now. I lost some time today to errands, but I've done five tasks so far today and received ZERO percentage points. ZERO.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby forza » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:36 pm

Why does Themis want me to do two practice MPTs today?

I won't do it Themis. I won't.

User avatar
denimchickn
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby denimchickn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Catleesi wrote:Ok I am BEYOND frustrated right now. I lost some time today to errands, but I've done five tasks so far today and received ZERO percentage points. ZERO.


I know how you feel. I've been working for about 11 hours today, did seven tasks (including four review tasks where I retyped and condensed outlines) and got a grand total of one percent for it. I think it's gonna be hard to move the percentage meter much now that all the lectures are done with.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 pm

forza wrote:Why does Themis want me to do two practice MPTs today?

I won't do it Themis. I won't.


I had the same thing. Didn't do either of them, but I really need to do at least 1 tomorrow.

releasethehounds
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby releasethehounds » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 pm

forza wrote:Why does Themis want me to do two practice MPTs today?

I won't do it Themis. I won't.



Hell I still haven't done the graded MPT. Avoiding it like the plague just because it's difficult for me to find 90 minutes to carve out where no one bothers me and I can just focus on writing an essay like mad. Also I'm avoiding it because obviously I'm an idiot.

antonious13
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:51 am

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby antonious13 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:36 am

Reinhardt wrote:Holy shit the last few chapters of the California trusts lecture were awful. Dude did not follow the handout at all, or I'm losing all focus, or some combination of the two. At least these awful videos are done.


Yeah, that irked me as well. After a while I just said phucket.

User avatar
CaliBum
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby CaliBum » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:08 am

Reinhardt wrote:Holy shit the last few chapters of the California trusts lecture were awful. Dude did not follow the handout at all, or I'm losing all focus, or some combination of the two. At least these awful videos are done.

I'm jelly. I'm trying my best to get them done by the end of Sunday. I start Remedies tomorrow. Still haven't gotten into the PT workshops and practice essays yet :(

User avatar
Shawnology
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Shawnology » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 am

Charles Barkley wrote:
rsg87 wrote:Anyone here taking Florida? Those essays for Commercial Paper and the Florida Multiple Choice are pretty tough.


Florida here as well. Yea, not looking forward to commercial paper at all. makers/drafters/ chattel paper, bearer paper. It is still all foreign to me.

Talar
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Talar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:14 am

I've found some inconsistencies between the Themis outline/handouts for my state and what the actual law really is and it's pissed me off and kind of made me nervous because I'm wondering now how much else is wrong. Argh.




Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HonestAdvice, Sheeit, ultimolugar and 4 guests