as stars burn

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Shawnology wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Why in the world are u guys watching the MBE lectures especially if u don't find them useful? There are 2 1/2 weeks left. There are better uses of time than watching a guy read the right and wrong answers.

Honestly, I think they are helpful.I don't know about anyone else but there are some I got correct that were complete guesses, or doing a long process of elimination. Others I just flat out didn't know the rule. Going through questions is helpful for some, although I am sure it hurts others. It is also helpful to do notecards at the same time, since you don't have to take notes or anything for that portion.

Just my thoughts.

I also find the videos helpful even if they are excruciating. I've been pausing him to make a note card of the rule or whatever explanation I got wrong, so it's making the review process a little more thorough for me. I don't intend to really get into "memorize" mode until Sunday/Monday because two weeks is typically when short term memory starts to hold onto the best (obviously, this will be different for peeps with photographic memories). I've been making flashcards and condensing outlines for awhile now.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm

WWAD wrote:Are you watching at 1.5X and 2X? It makes it better.

I wish. I have not been able to get it to work for me AT ALL on my computer. I've tried everything :(

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:55 pm

So what's the deal with the New York multiple choice questions? Multiple choice on NY distinctions?

About to do my first set of 25. Fully expecting to get gaped.

releasethehounds

Postby releasethehounds » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Making notecards is getting to be ridiculous for me. I have a tendency, and did through law school, to treat myself like I am the stupidest person that has ever walked the earth. But with this many subjects I have to start relying on the idea that I do know some things and making notecards about the things I already know is just a waste of time and space.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm

No % increase for watching the last set of Ks videos and doing the first set of MBE questions? Really? :|

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
CaliBum wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Finally did Milestone 2. 38/40.

I'm jelly.

heh, I meant 38/50. I wish 38/40. :oops: Reviewing today, I noticed I should have been even higher. I need to stop second guessing myself. I missed a few because I talked myself out of the correct answer.

TheBeard wrote:It's nice to see that making notecards is paying off. I scored noticeably higher than my averages on the subjects that I made notecards for, even if I didn't get to review them before the sim MBE. Now, if I can only figure out a way to speed up the damn process.

I'm refining Themis' outlines, and I'm noticing the same positive effect.

Yep! Score went way up on Property after I distilled the Themis & my friend's outline, although it took years. I doubt I'll have time to do this for all subject areas but I'll at least do it for the weaker ones that are more likely to be on the exam (CONTRACTS)

I'll send you mine, if it helps.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm

lol at the national averages on NY multiple choice questions.

Shawnology

Postby Shawnology » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 pm

as stars burn wrote:
WWAD wrote:Are you watching at 1.5X and 2X? It makes it better.

I wish. I have not been able to get it to work for me AT ALL on my computer. I've tried everything :(

I just started doing 2X this week and wish I found it earlier. If you are using Google Chrome you need to refresh a lot and hover the mouse over the video before you push Shift + the right arrow. Hope that works.

But beware it is addicting. Once you go 2X you never go back.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 pm

^ that is the truth. I was limiting myself to 1.5X on the substance stuff and then would slow down if I needed it. But these reviews helped me a lot because hearing it while reading it helps me. However, at 1X it would have been a waste of a lot of time. I did all the ones I got right at 2X and the ones I got wrong I re did to see if I just missed something- then listened at 1.5X. I think the videos were worth it- reading all the questions again would have been more boring.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 pm

"Here, answer D is just obviously wrong. Basically, you're an idiot if you chose D."

:( 'kay...

Shawnology

Postby Shawnology » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

antonious13 wrote:"Here, answer D is just obviously wrong. Basically, you're an idiot if you chose D."

:( 'kay...

ROFL, Glad i'm not the only one.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Best part about that is he admitted getting one wrong that was not that hard. The other great thing he keeps saying to sum things up is "just memorize all the rules" Well no shit- that sounds easy.

Shawnology

Postby Shawnology » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Express Conditions

"It's like being pregnant, either you are or you're not." - Professor Robert J. Pushaw

:shock: I'm done.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:45 pm

WWAD wrote:Best part about that is he admitted getting one wrong that was not that hard. The other great thing he keeps saying to sum things up is "just memorize all the rules" Well no shit- that sounds easy.

Sadly, I got that one wrong because I made the exact same mistake he did. Fuckin' question writers throwing me off. :lol:

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 pm

I gave up on the damn review videos at stopped after Torts. I just reviewed the wrong Evidence questions on my own. I couldn't take it anymore....everytime he said, "this question is easy," I wanted to punch him in the face. Video watching was helpful for the most part, but Pushaw drove me nuts.

Edit: I can't spell anymore.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:30 pm

Is anybody else finding that the little red mail notification does not mean "You've got a message!" but "You've got a message on the way that will arrive at some point tomorrow! Yay! It's like REAL mail!" ?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:13 pm

No idea how to do commercial paper or secured transactions essays. Any tips? I'm literally lost at the start.

Catleesi wrote:Is anybody else finding that the little red mail notification does not mean "You've got a message!" but "You've got a message on the way that will arrive at some point tomorrow! Yay! It's like REAL mail!" ?

Just happened to me. OCD's going nuts.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Bikeflip wrote:No idea how to do commercial paper or secured transactions essays. Any tips? I'm literally lost at the start.

Catleesi wrote:Is anybody else finding that the little red mail notification does not mean "You've got a message!" but "You've got a message on the way that will arrive at some point tomorrow! Yay! It's like REAL mail!" ?

You're in CO too, right? Maybe our server's busted.

My commercial paper teacher has written a number of commercial paper bar essay prompts. He wrote his exams the same way so we'd be able to practice. I can't find my outline (harddrive fried two days before graduation so now I'm running off backups), but I know we were supposed to do this:

1. Identify the instrument. What is it? Order paper? Bearer? A note or draft?
2. Identify the parties. Who is the drawer/maker? drawee? payee? obligor?
3. Identify any holders in due course
4. Identify any indorsement issues
5. Identify any warranty issues
6. Identify any real defenses if holder is HDC, personal defenses as well, but they won't apply

I mean, that's not exactly the gold standard outline, but hopefully it helps.

Here is the outline my secured teacher gave us for answering his essays. It's for a law school exam so it'll cover WAY too much, but it's still a good order to look at:

1. Does Article 9 Apply?
2. Identify Collateral
a. Tangible? Intangible? Inventory? Equipment?
3. Parties (grouped by creditor)
a. Attachment
i. What collateral?
1. What is necessary for attachment?
b. Perfection
i. How was it perfected?
1. What is necessary for perfection?
4. Priority of Creditors
a. Original Priority, then Changes. RANK THEM.
b. PMSI?
c. Lapses?
d. Name Changes?
e. Location Changes?
f. Loss of Perfection?
5. Proceeds of Collateral
a. Traceable?
b. Bankruptcy Timeline?
c. Accessions or Comingled goods?
6. Who gets what and why?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:No idea how to do commercial paper or secured transactions essays. Any tips? I'm literally lost at the start.

My commercial paper teacher has written a number of commercial paper bar essay prompts. He wrote his exams the same way so we'd be able to practice. I can't find my outline (harddrive fried two days before graduation so now I'm running off backups), but I know we were supposed to do this:

6. Identify any real defenses if holder is HDC, personal defenses as well, but they won't apply

Here is the outline my secured teacher gave us for answering his essays. It's for a law school exam so it'll cover WAY too much, but it's still a good order to look at:

1. Does Article 9 Apply?
2. Identify Collateral
a. Attachment
i. What collateral?
b. Perfection
i. How was it perfected?
4. Priority of Creditors
b. PMSI?
c. Lapses?
d. Name Changes?
e. Location Changes?
f. Loss of Perfection?
a. Traceable?
b. Bankruptcy Timeline?
]

Yes, CO and thank you so fucking much!

purr se

Postby purr se » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Catleesi wrote:

1. Does Article 9 Apply?
2. Identify Collateral
a. Attachment
i. What collateral?
b. Perfection
i. How was it perfected?
4. Priority of Creditors
b. PMSI?
c. Lapses?
d. Name Changes?
e. Location Changes?
f. Loss of Perfection?
a. Traceable?
b. Bankruptcy Timeline?

Thanks for this. I'm taking CO also.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Need the help of my Themis bros to understand recording statutes:

Grantor sells land which it does not own to A. A doesn't know of any problem, and records. Then Grantor actually acquires the land in fee simple and sells it to B. B has no notice of the previous conveyance because the jurisdiction does not require him to search the time before Grantor owned the property. The recording statute is "notice." As between A and B, who wins?

Themis says B wins. In a notice jurisdiction, a later innocent purchaser wins over an earlier innocent purchaser?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Why doesn't Themis give each MBE section a proper 1/6 of any mixed review?
9 Torts and 8 property out of 34?

Also Torts question:

Kid (age 4) is injured b/c "bully (age 4)" pushed kids into a street, and kid was hit by driver. Damages $100. Liability: Driver 50% "Bully's" parents 20%. Kid's parents 30% Pure comparative negligence and J/S liability. How much must driver pay? I thought $70, but that wasn't an option. Themis says driver is liable for 100, and pure comp negligence irrelevant
Last edited by Bikeflip on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Need the help of my Themis bros to understand recording statutes:

Grantor sells land which it does not own to A. A doesn't know of any problem, and records. Then Grantor actually acquires the land in fee simple and sells it to B. B has no notice of the previous conveyance because the jurisdiction does not require him to search the time before Grantor owned the property. The recording statute is "notice." As between A and B, who wins?

Themis says B wins. In a notice jurisdiction, a later innocent purchaser wins over an earlier innocent purchaser?

In a notice jurisdiction, recording first doesn't matter. A subsequent purchaser for value with no notice of a prior conveyance wins. This one is tricky because B would generally have constructive notice, as A recorded. However, this particular jurisdiction doesn't require him to check. No requirement to search title = no constructive notice.

Race-- whoever records first wins.
Notice-- last purchaser wins as long as he has no notice
Race notice-- whoever records first and didn't have notice of a prior conveyance wins.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:Need the help of my Themis bros to understand recording statutes:

In a notice jurisdiction, recording first doesn't matter. A subsequent purchaser for value with no notice of a prior conveyance wins. This one is tricky because B would generally have constructive notice, as A recorded. However, this particular jurisdiction doesn't require him to check. No requirement to search title = no constructive notice.

Race-- whoever records first wins.
Notice-- last purchaser wins as long as he has no notice
Race notice-- whoever records first and didn't have notice of a prior conveyance wins.

Reason why I suck at Property #17

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 pm

purr se wrote:
Catleesi wrote:Thanks for this. I'm taking CO also.

Also, really CO people? Cat puns? I am dissapoint.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”