Agoraphobia

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 pm

I tell you, Bar Study makes us regress. This afternoon I couldn't even add my two MBE scores together without a calculator.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Why does the % take so mhc more to move now. It's crazy. I gotta do like 4 things to get 1%.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 am

forza wrote:I find the simulated MBE review helpful, though I wish this guy would quit saying "well now we're on to question #_ _ _, and this one's really easy." Invariably I got question # _ _ _ wrong. :|

If this is the Contracts guy, me too.

--> Edit , also, do the reviews go over each and every question?

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:59 am

Finally did Milestone 2. 38/40.

CaliBum

Postby CaliBum » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 am

Bikeflip wrote:Finally did Milestone 2. 38/40.

I'm jelly.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:52 am

Finished my practice MBE today and got my graded California performance test back. So ... CPT score = 50 .... simulated MBE = 150 (74/76).

I need to figure out what's up with my essays. So far: 50, 50, 55, 50 55, 50. :|

Sort of wish California was more about the MBE right now. I might try to email someone for some more essay help. My advisor's comments, as of late, haven't been altogether helpful. And if those essay scores are any indication, I'm still on track to not pass.

I thought maybe everyone got graded low on these. But nope, one of my friends is consistently in the high 60s to high 70s. So it's definitely me.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 am

Can someone explain to me why the Answer to the Simulated MBE Question 135 is the answer Themis says it is (do not want to spoil it for people who have not taken).

Seems comparable to the situation in which a party gets surgery done and all people are held liable, I really dont see much of a difference

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:36 am

dsclaw wrote:Can someone explain to me why the Answer to the Simulated MBE Question 135 is the answer Themis says it is (do not want to spoil it for people who have not taken).

Seems comparable to the situation in which a party gets surgery done and all people are held liable, I really dont see much of a difference

The question is about summary judgment. Plaintiff didn't meet the burden of proof as to the one defendant who filed SJ, because he was unable to show that this particular defendant caused the harm. He was hit by one arrow, which means his injury was caused by one defendant, and he can't prove which one. It's not the same as surgery, because with surgery, any number of people can be responsible for one injury. In this case, only one person was, but there were 3 possibilities.

It's a really stupid question and explanation, because it's possible that another defendant's negligence caused the responsible defendant to shoot the arrow wildly, but... I guess that's overthinking it. We'll see what the lectures say about it, I guess.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am

dsclaw wrote:Can someone explain to me why the Answer to the Simulated MBE Question 135 is the answer Themis says it is (do not want to spoil it for people who have not taken).

I think the "group liability through res ipsa loquitur" doctrine of Ybarra v. Spangard is pretty narrow, probably not applicable to much more beyond medical malpractice. I think the Ybarra court was motivated in significant part by the fact that a patient who submits to surgery puts himself in such a defenseless position that it's deeply unfair to then say he can't recover because he can't identify precisely who screwed up. ("Plaintiff was rendered unconscious for the purpose of undergoing surgical treatment by the defendants; it is manifestly unreasonable for them to insist that he identify any one of them as the person who did the alleged negligent act." 25 Cal. 2d at 492.) Going bow-hunting with your buds just isn't comparable.

I got that question wrong myself, though I was tricked into thinking not about Ybarra, but rather about Summers v. Tice, where one of the two defendants shot the plaintiff but the plaintiff couldn't identify which. The distinction between Question 135 and Tice, however, is that it was established in Tice that both defendants had in fact acted negligently; they were just making an argument about causation. In Question 135 there's no evidence that the defendant who moved for SJ behaved negligently.

denimchickn

Postby denimchickn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 am

I'm really hoping when professors keep saying "This lecture will give you everything you need to know to answer a question about X on the Virginia bar exam," that actually means I didn't need to read the ridiculously long and detailed outlines.

Because I definitely didn't. For anything.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am

I really hate the "what's the weakest argument" questions.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:40 am

locusdelicti wrote:I really hate the "what's the weakest argument" questions.

+Billion.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 am

locusdelicti wrote:I really hate the "what's the weakest argument" questions.

Me too! They are the worst. I have such a hard time wrapping my head around those questions because as an attorney....you want the strongest argument all the time. Sheesh.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 am

WAHOO! Hit the 75% mark today! Hopefully only doing 4 hours per day next week will not kill me as I start a new job...

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:43 am

Welp, after going through most of the Simulated MBE Review videos I've concluded that at least 30% of my wrong answers have stemmed from either not reading the question carefully enough or not reading an answer choice carefully enough. It's semi-comforting to know that its not entirely because I don't know the law at all.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 am

as stars burn wrote:Welp, after going through most of the Simulated MBE Review videos I've concluded that at least 30% of my wrong answers have stemmed from either not reading the question carefully enough or not reading an answer choice carefully enough. It's semi-comforting to know that its not entirely because I don't know the law at all.

Did you find the reviews helpful? The contracts guy, I had to pause him constantly and read the explanations because I didn't get what he was saying. Made me think maybe I should just read the explanations and save time. Thoughts?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 am

I give up on just reading outlines. There are so many essay topics in Texas that I am going to have to make my own and consolidate some of them.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Reviewing my property questions today (I only missed 9 out of 33, not terrible), I see that EIGHT of those nine were from the same section: disputes about ownership of land. I think it may be time to review that topic.

locusdelicti

Postby locusdelicti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

as stars burn wrote:Welp, after going through most of the Simulated MBE Review videos I've concluded that at least 30% of my wrong answers have stemmed from either not reading the question carefully enough or not reading an answer choice carefully enough. It's semi-comforting to know that its not entirely because I don't know the law at all.

Same here. It really is a matter of slowing down. My anxiety propels me through the questions when I should be reading more carefully.

There was a stupid adverse possession question - where it said the AP statute was 10 years - and I read the question 3 times, and I swore that nowhere did it say the guy lived there for 10 years. Swore it up and down. Watching the review, I still didn't see it. Then I realized it was in the very first sentence. "Eleven years ago...." So dumb. I need to be more careful.

There were also a couple where I got the right answer but selected the wrong letter when I picked my answer. :( I really hate that, because I knew it, I just picked the wrong one by mistake.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:

Did you find the reviews helpful? The contracts guy, I had to pause him constantly and read the explanations because I didn't get what he was saying. Made me think maybe I should just read the explanations and save time. Thoughts?

Yes and no. Part of me thinks its a HUGE waste of time especially when I have 2 other substantive areas to get through, but the other half of me likes going through the 6 videos because it makes me feel productive on the Themis portal and forces me to really review all the answers. I also have to pause him sometimes to flip back in the book and read the explanation myself (especially for Property), but I think it helps the most when he points out things in the question that I overlooked (referring back to my comment about not reading carefully). Pushaw sounds like an ass half the time though--I swear to God if he says this is "easy" question one more time I'm going scream, but other times he's quite hilarious--"dangling little bunnies in front of the state to get them to adopt whatever Congress wants without directly commandeering"--his mannerisms and and such on that line made me crack up laughing.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 pm

locusdelicti wrote:

Same here. It really is a matter of slowing down. My anxiety propels me through the questions when I should be reading more carefully.

There was a stupid adverse possession question - where it said the AP statute was 10 years - and I read the question 3 times, and I swore that nowhere did it say the guy lived there for 10 years. Swore it up and down. Watching the review, I still didn't see it. Then I realized it was in the very first sentence. "Eleven years ago...." So dumb. I need to be more careful.

There were also a couple where I got the right answer but selected the wrong letter when I picked my answer. :( I really hate that, because I knew it, I just picked the wrong one by mistake.

I know exactly what AP question your're talking about. It's so easy to overlook things like that. I have the tendency to second guess myself. I absolutely hate when I'm going through the answers and I had the correct answer and then changed it because I wasn't confident in my first choice...or, I narrow it down to 2 answers, one of which is correct, and I pick the incorrect one. No joke, I had 5 questions like that on the AM portion.

forza

Postby forza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Did any of you get #60 correct on the AM session of the simulated MBE?

I was just flat unaware of that rule, and don't remember Geis teaching it to us or seeing it in the big outline.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Why does the % take so mhc more to move now. It's crazy. I gotta do like 4 things to get 1%.

I just had to watch all three sets of MBE lectures to get 1%. Whole morning, three tasks, one percent.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Catleesi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why does the % take so mhc more to move now. It's crazy. I gotta do like 4 things to get 1%.

I just had to watch all three sets of MBE lectures to get 1%. Whole morning, three tasks, one percent.

I think they give more like 1.5 or 1.75%. I was at 66 yesterday, and the videos pushed me to 68.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

forza wrote:Did any of you get #60 correct on the AM session of the simulated MBE?

I was just flat unaware of that rule, and don't remember Geis teaching it to us or seeing it in the big outline.
Also got it wrong, was also flatly unaware, but when I went back, I did find it in the outline. It's under VIII.D.1. Or you can search the online version for the phrase "B to paint" and that will take you there.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”