forza

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby forza » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:27 am

Catleesi wrote:Here it's nothing but top hats and monocles and the haughtiest humble bragging I've ever heard.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 am

Today my Internet connection decided to die. I can kind of get by using my phone's 4G, but I can't watch videos at 2x because of buffering issues. I can sometimes do 1.5x but I have to be careful to watch the buffer otherwise it gets stutter-y. All of my assignments today are videos, that now I pretty much have to watch at 1x. This is terrible. Now I know what being in Barbri is like!

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Where are these charts and handouts people are speaking of my review lectures do not seem to have any of the sort. I feel cheated :cry:

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 pm

http://img.pandawhale.com/46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

But seriously, all I'm saying is nobody here is more likely to pass the bar in their state because they've made other people on the forum feel bad about their chances. Let's just leave the scores on the MyProgress page and focus on frustrations with the course, discussions of strategy, question analysis and general support.
Last edited by Catleesi on Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 pm

dsclaw wrote:Where are these charts and handouts people are speaking of my review lectures do not seem to have any of the sort. I feel cheated :cry:

My "My Outline" is blank. I know that feel, bro.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:27 pm

dsclaw wrote:Where are these charts and handouts people are speaking of my review lectures do not seem to have any of the sort. I feel cheated :cry:

The charts and whatnot are for the lecture handout associated with the MBE Workshop II, which I personally don't have on my schedule until Friday. They aren't for the MBE review that we have scheduled today/tomorrow.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey gang, I got tricked by Question 87 on the Simulated MBE. I'm pretty sure I understand it now, but I made myself write my own mini-explanation with examples to help me clarify the relevant distinction. I'm posting it here so that either (1) someone can correct me if I've got it wrong, or (2) it can possibly be helpful to others if I've got it right:
While a subsequent grantee must have paid value in order to be protected by a recording statute, an earlier grantee who properly records is protected against any subsequent grantee (whether purchaser or donee). In example form:
-- At Time1, O gives Blackacre as gift to Donee, who properly records. At Time2, O sells Blackacre to Purchaser for value. Regardless of whether Purchaser records, Donee will prevail over Purchaser because Donee recorded.
-- At Time1, O sells Blackacre for value to Purchaser, who does not record. At Time2, O gives Blackacre as gift to Donee, who then records. Purchaser wins, despite the fact that he didn't record and Donee did, because Donee, not having given value, isn’t protected by the recording statute, and therefore “first in time, first in right” governs.
I don't specify the nature of the recording statute because I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm

This is why in my real life I hang out with people who are commercial truck drivers, floor installers, retail clerks and air traffic controllers. Anything but law students!!!!! I have my law school friends and then my friends from my town. When they hear me worry about the bar, they ask me how many people pass in Illinois. When I tell them 89%, they just laugh, and tell me "keep on working hard, but we know you'll pass. If I could pass the CDL test then I know you can pass this thing." Then I sit outside by the river with everyone while everyone else has a smoke and a few people throw a line in the water, and pet the bait shop guy's dog and talk about stupid shit and laugh my head off. Go home and study some more, but feel way way better. If I had to hang out with law students all the time, or even very much of the time at all, especially NOW, I would lose my freaking mind.

Edited for SPELLING

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Yeah, I like to have those kind of people too, but at the same time there are things they don't always understand about why you're stressed that are legitimate. For example, talking to my family and they ask "How much of the course have you finished?" I answer "about 65%." They get this look on their faces like I have spent the whole summer playing video games or something. From time to time I need to commiserate with someone who understands what a grind this process is.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:01 pm

Catleesi wrote:http://img.pandawhale.com/46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

But seriously, all I'm saying is nobody here is more likely to pass the bar in their state because they've made other people on the forum feel bad about their chances. Let's just leave the scores on the MyProgress page and focus on frustrations with the course, discussions of strategy, question analysis and general support.

+1

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Bedsole wrote:Yeah, I like to have those kind of people too, but at the same time there are things they don't always understand about why you're stressed that are legitimate. For example, talking to my family and they ask "How much of the course have you finished?" I answer "about 65%." They get this look on their faces like I have spent the whole summer playing video games or something. From time to time I need to commiserate with someone who understands what a grind this process is.

Agreed, which is why I'm here...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Chillax guys. 70% is probably a 145 on the MBE.

Also: average on the MBE is about 145-146. So if you are average, you are doing great.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:27 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:Hey gang, I got tricked by Question 87 on the Simulated MBE. I'm pretty sure I understand it now, but I made myself write my own mini-explanation with examples to help me clarify the relevant distinction. I'm posting it here so that either (1) someone can correct me if I've got it wrong, or (2) it can possibly be helpful to others if I've got it right:
While a subsequent grantee must have paid value in order to be protected by a recording statute, an earlier grantee who properly records is protected against any subsequent grantee (whether purchaser or donee). In example form:
-- At Time1, O gives Blackacre as gift to Donee, who properly records. At Time2, O sells Blackacre to Purchaser for value. Regardless of whether Purchaser records, Donee will prevail over Purchaser because Donee recorded.
-- At Time1, O sells Blackacre for value to Purchaser, who does not record. At Time2, O gives Blackacre as gift to Donee, who then records. Purchaser wins, despite the fact that he didn't record and Donee did, because Donee, not having given value, isn’t protected by the recording statute, and therefore “first in time, first in right” governs.
I don't specify the nature of the recording statute because I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

To really understand the recording statute all you really have to understand is its purpose. The purpose for recording statute is to protect your interest against subsequent interests of the same property. For a subsequent interest to have a better interest is must usually be a Bona fide purchaser ( good faith + value + without notice (unless its purely race)). A person who inherits land can still have a greater interest then another individual if that individual inherits without notice (in a notice jurisdiction) or records first (in a race jurisdiction). So if A deeded land over to B and B does not record, does not stay in the house, etc. A then leaves the same land to C in a will, C could potentially have a greater claim to the land.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Chillax guys. 70% is probably a 145 on the MBE.

Also: average on the MBE is about 145-146. So if you are average, you are doing great.

If average is a 145-146, I highly doubt that 70% equates to average...

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:30 pm

Three posts in a row because I forgot to mention that anyone taking the NY Bar, the NY Tort Distinction on Worker's compensation is not 100% accurate with regards to a grave injury. The employee can never sue the employer, what a grave injury does is it allows the third party the ability to sue the employer.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:
Bedsole wrote:Yeah, I like to have those kind of people too, but at the same time there are things they don't always understand about why you're stressed that are legitimate. For example, talking to my family and they ask "How much of the course have you finished?" I answer "about 65%." They get this look on their faces like I have spent the whole summer playing video games or something. From time to time I need to commiserate with someone who understands what a grind this process is.

Agreed, which is why I'm here...

Agreed. It took me my whole first semester and one set of grades to convince my family that "Stop worrying-- you're gonna get As like you always have" was unhelpful and untrue.

I consider myself incredibly lucky that I am staying with my boyfriend's family this summer. He used Themis last year and passed, so they know how this works. I come upstairs for dinner and complain about something and his mom just smiles and says "yep, heard that before." They give me a break at dinner time and then let me disappear to study without making me feel antisocial or giving me encouragement beyond "you sound like him and he passed."

The encouragement I get from my family and non-law friends-- "Don't worry, you'll get it," "You'll finish the whole course," and "it won't be as long as it has been"-- makes my heart hurt.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:36 pm

dsclaw wrote:

I'm talking about Scaled on the real thing. Average is 145-146. Which really only requires about 70% on the REAL thing, not on themis Qs which may be harder.

thebull

Postby thebull » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dsclaw wrote:

I'm talking about Scaled on the real thing. Average is 145-146. Which really only requires about 70% on the REAL thing, not on themis Qs which may be harder.

70% means you got 140 questions right out of 200. I would imagine that would get you a much higher scaled score than 145.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:43 pm

Raw score is out of 190, so 70% is about 133 raw. That's right about 145 scaled, I think.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:44 pm

thebull wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dsclaw wrote:

70% means you got 140 questions right out of 200. I would imagine that would get you a much higher scaled score than 145.

According to Seperac.com a 130 raw score in NY was anywhere between a scaled score of 138-141 on the past three mbes and a 135 was a 142.4 - 147.5, a 140 was 146 -151

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 pm

GertrudePerkins wrote:Hey gang, I got tricked by Question 87 on the Simulated MBE. I'm pretty sure I understand it now, but I made myself write my own mini-explanation with examples to help me clarify the relevant distinction. I'm posting it here so that either (1) someone can correct me if I've got it wrong, or (2) it can possibly be helpful to others if I've got it right:

Thanks for sharing this. That whole "recording statutes are not intended to protect donees" thing ALWAYS gets me. Your explanation makes sense.

Catleesi

Postby Catleesi » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:45 pm

dsclaw wrote:

Even if it did, "average" puts you at the 50th percentile. If 80% of students pass, you're AHEAD of 30% of passers. That's not necessary.

The average raw score has traditionally been about 128. Maybe that scales up to 145, but you definitely should not be vomiting on your keyboard if you're not getting a raw 145 with two weeks left to go.

It's also important to remember that different states weight the MBE differently.

Keep repeating this when you get down, folks: YOU DON'T HAVE TO BOOK THE BAR.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 pm

thebull wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dsclaw wrote:

10 questions don't count. You'd get 133 raw at 70%.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:48 pm

I finally finished all the Secured Transactions lectures, and I got 0% for that. Nada. Nothing. Zilch. For a whole morning's and one whole topic.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:57 pm

This may have been covered before, but how close are Themis questions to actual MBE questions? And do they reuse the same type of fact patterns?

When I used BarBri for the MPRE, it was helpful to learn the general style of the practice questions, because that's essentially the same thing I saw on test day. Is it the same thing here? Same type of wording, fact patterns, etc., ?

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”