Dr. Review

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 pm

dsclaw wrote:After looking at the first ten answers, I can tell you one thing, double check you filled in the write answers... and learn how to read. Of the first ten I got wrong 2 were the wrong bubble filled in, and 4 were not being able to read...

I only looked at percentage after I finished. Not going to sit down and analyze any of this today. I have a feeling I will be fairly burnt out after the afternoon half.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Just finished the morning half of the simulated and oh man, it is so incredibly difficult to focus for 3 hours. I was a bit crunched for time and raced on the last 5 questions. I also cried inside with each Property question, and kicked myself for completely forgetting differences between the Dormant Commerce Clause and Privileges and Immunites. I haven't graded the morning half yet since I did it by hand. I have no idea how I'm going to have the stamina to get through another 100.

ReelectClayDavis

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm

72/100 on the morning, sure better than how I felt during the test. Finished early, gotta slow down and stick with some of those ridiculous long property questions.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:49 pm

ReelectClayDavis wrote:72/100 on the morning, sure better than how I felt during the test. Finished early, gotta slow down and stick with some of those ridiculous long property questions.

Those property questions are the worst. Looking at a 20-line property prompt is like being Sisyphus and staring up from the bottom of the effing hill.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Doing test tmrw. I still have to do milestone 2, but looking at the schedule, I'm only 2.5 days behind.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I was exhausted midway through the afternoon session, and it showed in my results. I have to figure out a way to maintain focus and energy levels.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 pm

How can you tell where we're supposed to be? I'm behind by a couple graded essays and will be doing Milestone 2 today.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Not a great second half. 58%. Yikes. Overall 124/200 on the day. The opening screen said that most people do 110-120, and I guess 62% is not far off where I need to be 3 weeks from now, so I guess I can live with that. Time to hit the weak spots hard.

Edit: In other news... 1% completion for the WHOLE simulated MBE. :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Dr. Review on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Reinhardt wrote:How can you tell where we're supposed to be? I'm behind by a couple graded essays and will be doing Milestone 2 today.

Themis sent me a checklist on day 1.

JDCA2012

Postby JDCA2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:48 pm

Reinhardt wrote:How can you tell where we're supposed to be? I'm behind by a couple graded essays and will be doing Milestone 2 today.

What state are you? I know I got the CA calendar from the themis website on an area where you didn't have to log in.

If you go here:
http://www.themisbar.com/bar-review-courses

Click on your state on the left, the 3rd heading down should be "Try Themis" and then click on "Schedule (3rd icon from left).
Should be the standard calendar, though they don't have anything for weekends, nor specific tasks really it's more if a rough overview - but I've more or less kept track where I should be based on what the topic is that starts on any given Monday on the calendar.

Hope this helps.

TheBeard

Postby TheBeard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:51 pm

I wonder if this was an actual previously administered bar exam. If so, I wonder if Themis will provide us with the scaling table. Any thoughts, Themis?

JDCA2012

Postby JDCA2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Does anybody ever open a practice essay, not really know what direction they are supposed to go in or what they are supposed to do, look through outline/handout, say screw it, submit basically nothing, then just hope to learn what the hell was going on from the model answer?

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:00 pm

1. Whenever I see the word "mortgage" I die a little inside knowing I will have absolutely no idea how to answer the question.

2. SPOILER MBE SIM!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell is this:

A physician entered into a written agreement to purchase land from his aunt. The agreement, which was secured by not only the land itself but also all future improvements, required the physician to make annual installment payments to the aunt. The deed from the aunt to the physician was recorded, but it made no mention of this agreement. The agreement itself was not recorded.

The following year, the physician obtained a loan from the local bank to build a house on the land in exchange for a mortgage on the property and any structures built on it. The physician informed the bank about the agreement with his aunt. The bank required the aunt to sign an agreement subordinating her loan to the bank’s loan. The mortgage agreement was recorded, but the agreement between the bank and the aunt was not recorded.

After the house was built, a patient successfully sued the physician for malpractice. The judgment was promptly and properly recorded so that it became a lien against the residence of the physician. The patient was unaware of the physician’s financial dealings with his aunt or the bank.

The physician failed to make timely payments on the mortgage. In accord with the terms of the mortgage, the bank declared the full mortgage obligation due and properly foreclosed on the property. At the time of the foreclosure sale, which was properly conducted, the physician’s outstanding balance with regard to the agreement with his aunt was $100,000, and with regard to the mortgage was $500,000. The total amount owed with respect to the judgment was $400,000. After expenses, the sale of the mortgaged property netted only $550,000.

The applicable jurisdiction has the following two statutes:
“Every conveyance not recorded is void as against any subsequent purchaser or mortgagee in good faith and for valuable consideration from the same vendor whose conveyance is first duly recorded.”

“Any judgment properly filed shall, for twelve years from filing, be a lien on the real property then owned or subsequently acquired by any person against whom the judgment is rendered.”

What is the amount due to the aunt from the sale?
A. $100,000, because the aunt’s interest predated the other interests.
B. $100,000, because the aunt’s interest was a seller-financed purchase money security interest.
C. $50,000, because the aunt’s interest has priority over the patient’s judgment lien, but not the bank’s mortgage.
D. Nothing, because both the patient’s judgment lien and the bank’s mortgage have priority over the aunt’s interest.

That problem took up my entire computer screen. My thought process after reading that was: "Umm...WHAT?!"

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:01 pm

Thank you. Only 9 days behind!

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Just finished; holy shit, lack of stamina was DIRE at about question 190. I started answering like "yeah, yeah, whatever, C."

Gonna grade it later; feel like I've earned a beer in the meantime.

JDCA2012

Postby JDCA2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 pm

Last edited by JDCA2012 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:

which question was that?

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:16 pm

Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

which question was that?

#150 -- took up an entire page by itself in the book. Longest MBE Q I've seen and absolutely baffling.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

JDCA2012 wrote:Does anybody ever open a practice essay, not really know what direction they are supposed to go in or what they are supposed to do, look through outline/handout, say screw it, submit basically nothing, then just hope to learn what the hell was going on from the model answer?

Yeah. Of course, I had that happen to me on the Professional Responsibility Graded Essay. Opened it up, read it, "well fuck me, I have no clue."

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Bedsole wrote:Edit: In other news... 1% completion for the WHOLE simulated MBE. :evil: :evil:

Yeah, this is bullshit. The course has a fixed number of tasks, so I don't understand how percentage complete keeps getting harder to achieve, even when doing more tasks.

jerwood84

Postby jerwood84 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:35 pm

AM 65% and PM 70%. For the day 135/200 at .675%. For reference, Milestone 1 (76%) and Milestone 2 (68%). Practice MPQ's are about in the upper 60's low 70's. I feel like this is my ceiling. Maybe if I can bump up the upper 60's to a low to mid 70' across the board I'll be happy with that.

Did not feel the time crunch at all but I had the bad habit of crashing out the last 10 problems of each AM/PM set. I finished PM set with 6 of the last 7 incorrect. Hate that. If I finished out strong I would feel much better. Perhaps I got overly anxious or excited about finishing and rushed through them or lost focus. Maybe it's a stamina thing.

I thought the criminal procedure and even a few criminal questions were more difficult than the typical criminal law stuff. Usually that's my best area however I got kind of hammered on them this time.

No section was a glaring weakness. Contracts is my lowest however. I hate contracts. Particularly formation questions. Formation is so simple and yet I lose sight of the ball in those complicated fact patterns. God damn shell games. Bitch I know the law just give it to me straight.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm

73am/70pm. Meh

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:15 pm

forza wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:

which question was that?

#150 -- took up an entire page by itself in the book. Longest MBE Q I've seen and absolutely baffling.

Yep. I saw it, said fuck that, guessed and moved on. I seriously hate Property.

The simulated was so damn exhausting. I lose focus intermittently and my mind starts to wonder leaving me unable to get the last 5 questions. If I can focus just a bit harder finishing won't be a problem. I'm scared to grade it now though...that was rough in parts. I felt like the second half was harder. I got a 64 and 74 on the milestones. I'll be happy with something in between there.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

HETPE3B wrote:73am/70pm. Meh

You're seriously disappointed in that?! That's great performance I think! You typically only need about 120/200 to pass! No need to over study now ;)

JD_done

Postby JD_done » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 pm

65am/67pm

I'm surprised I didn't do worse on am. There were so many questions that completely baffled me.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”