Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm

balzie94 wrote:Ugh. Is anyone in IL besides me annoyed that Commercial Paper and Secured Transactions are tested more than 50% of the time?

Yea it sucks, but Personal Property
Suretyship
Negotiable Instruments
Admin

are almost never tested.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Admin was tested in Feb 2011 with Civ Pro topics. That concerns me a little. It also concerns me that Themis includes NOTHING on Fed Tax even though this is a potential topic.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:52 pm

I didn't realize that was the case, but am annoyed along with you 8)

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm

balzie94 wrote:Admin was tested in Feb 2011 with Civ Pro topics. That concerns me a little. It also concerns me that Themis includes NOTHING on Fed Tax even though this is a potential topic.

There is a Fed Tax outline in IL Vol. 2 that they are going to have us read, but the chances of it being tested are so small. It hasn't shown up in years. I'm probably going to skip it entirely to concentrate on other things that are way more likely to show up.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:16 pm

balzie94 wrote:Admin was tested in Feb 2011 with Civ Pro topics. That concerns me a little. It also concerns me that Themis includes NOTHING on Fed Tax even though this is a potential topic.

Unless you were really borderline you can just make it up and be fine. IEE is like 15% of the exam, it that was one part of one third of the IEE. It's like missing 2%.

elysiansmiles

Postby elysiansmiles » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

So, Themis markets that we get unlimited graded essays. Have any of you tried to get more than the weekly essay graded? Does anyone even know how? I guess we're approaching the point where maybe I have to work harder on my weaknesses, and certain essay subjects are definitely among them - especially non-MBE topic essays.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:35 pm

WARNING TO NY THEMIS PEEPS: If anyone has not taken the graded 6 essay:Wills, the fact pattern is terribly written. It so vague in a crucial area in which both question 2 and 3 are based on that specific paragraph it is bullshit! Themis get your shit together!!! Fix the fact pattern!

SPOILER ON CONFUSING AREA

In June, Lender duly commenced a foreclosure action against Tina, and Lawyer timely served an answer on her behalf. In July, Lender served and filed a motion for summary judgment, but before the motion was heard, Tina died. On the return date of Lender’s motion, Lawyer signed a stipulation of settlement prepared by Lender stating that Tina owed Lender $250,000 and would pay Lender that amount.

Does this mean that the Attorney entered into the settlement without the clients consent or did the settlement offer happen before his death?

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Ugh. Miserably on Mixed MBE #2. How could I do so well on one, and so badly on the next? This happen to anyone else? Maybe the questions were harder.

HETPE3B

Postby HETPE3B » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm

dsclaw wrote:WARNING TO NY THEMIS PEEPS: If anyone has not taken the graded 6 essay:Wills, the fact pattern is terribly written. It so vague in a crucial area in which both question 2 and 3 are based on that specific paragraph it is bullshit! Themis get your shit together!!! Fix the fact pattern!

In June, Lender duly commenced a foreclosure action against Tina, and Lawyer timely served an answer on her behalf. In July, Lender served and filed a motion for summary judgment, but before the motion was heard, Tina died. On the return date of Lender’s motion, Lawyer signed a stipulation of settlement prepared by Lender stating that Tina owed Lender $250,000 and would pay Lender that amount.

Does this mean that the Attorney entered into the settlement without the clients consent or did the settlement offer happen before his death?

Yup, this was a wtf moment for me, too. I wrote down things I assumed and answered the question.

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:15 pm

Did four things today and did not even move a percentage, two of which were graded essays. WOOF!

dsclaw

Postby dsclaw » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:33 pm

I found some New York 2005 Barbri Outlines on this website seperac.com, the outlines are much more detailed then the condensed outline and more concise then a handout.... digging them

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:45 pm

dsclaw wrote:Did four things today and did not even move a percentage, two of which were graded essays. WOOF!

1% for 6 tasks on the day.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Test mode is amazing. I will never use interactive mode again.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:55 pm

forza wrote:Under the Supremacy Clause, a state is required to follow federal law when it conflicts with state law. A treaty that is not self-executing is not treated as federal law for purposes of the Supremacy Clause, however, unless it has been implemented through legislation. The President, acting on his own, cannot implement such a treaty. Consequently, the state court was free to follow state law; its refusal to reconsider the prisoner’s conviction did not violate the Supremacy Clause.

What a nit-picky fucking rule. I sincerely hope we don't actually see shit like this on the real MBE, but I'm afraid we will.

I remember that one. I hate nit-picky rules like that. That or those "WTF was that shit?!" ridiculous stretches that assume too damn much to give the "best" answer.

antonious13

Postby antonious13 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:02 pm

dsclaw wrote:I found some New York 2005 Barbri Outlines on this website seperac.com, the outlines are much more detailed then the condensed outline and more concise then a handout.... digging them

A certain bay of buccaneers has a 2007 NY BarBri package and then some. I mean, it won't help a Californian like me with certain CA Essay topics, but for MBE, I'm checking out the condensed outlines and their other helpful tools.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:11 pm

antonious13 wrote:
dsclaw wrote:I found some New York 2005 Barbri Outlines on this website seperac.com, the outlines are much more detailed then the condensed outline and more concise then a handout.... digging them

A certain bay of buccaneers has a 2007 NY BarBri package and then some. I mean, it won't help a Californian like me with certain CA Essay topics, but for MBE, I'm checking out the condensed outlines and their other helpful tools.

:lol:

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:20 pm

That MPT series of lectures made me want to kill myself. Other than going through an actual MPT (which was kind of helpful...), reading the outline seemed sufficient, especially when I have 5 other things to do tonight.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:51 pm

I've done 6 assignments today and got 0% for them...

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:23 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I've done 6 assignments today and got 0% for them...

Did a 3 hour graded PT and 1 hour graded essay and my %% completed moved not-an-inch.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 pm

missinglink wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I've done 6 assignments today and got 0% for them...

Did a 3 hour graded PT and 1 hour graded essay and my %% completed moved not-an-inch.

Yea, were do these %'s come from now? Maybe the billion "review X" things

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:21 am

Has anyone started the "memorization" process yet? Considering I'm about 3-4 days behind schedule, I'm looking at starting about 2 weeks before the exam, maybe a day or two before. By that point I hope to have my condensed outlines done and flashcards made for the subjects that are flash-cardable. I can't believe I'm still learning material at this point.......my head is going to explode. Also, I'm moving to a new apartment on Sunday, which means I am stressed the fuck out. There's not enough time in the day to do everything.

Agoraphobia

Postby Agoraphobia » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:33 am

I tried to memorize a little of the Illinois Civ Pro before taking the graded essay. Just her stupid little mnemonics. I memorized a little bit and then when I took the exam I didn't need any of it. Oh well. Counter with the kitchen sink.

forza

Postby forza » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:41 am

dsclaw wrote:WARNING TO NY THEMIS PEEPS: If anyone has not taken the graded 6 essay:Wills, the fact pattern is terribly written. It so vague in a crucial area in which both question 2 and 3 are based on that specific paragraph it is bullshit! Themis get your shit together!!! Fix the fact pattern!

Yeah, I was baffled by that part of the essay question. I see now that it was asking about settlement without client consent, although I wrote some incomprehensible garbage about apparent authority in agency and the mortgagor's right to have their debts satisfied from the estate. Fucking PR.

calibred

Postby calibred » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:34 am

Holy shit... The California performance test is a TIME CRUNCH. I thought that'd be the easy part.

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”