. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
forza

Gold

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by forza » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Just finished milestone #2. Do not want to review each question.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Themis. Since I know you're lurking, here's some advice: Don't advertise yourself as the "tech savvy" bar review course when your "tech" craps out on me at least once EVERY 2 DAYS.

Thanks!

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Question on Milestone #2: SPOILER

Question 18
•Question Text: An executive of an accounting firm was fired and told to immediately leave the building where she worked. The executive went home, but she returned that night to retrieve personal items from her office. When she discovered that her key no longer opened a door to the building, she forced the door open and went to her former office. To avoid attracting attention, she did not turn on any lights. In the dark, she knew that she was taking some items that were not hers; she planned to sort these out later and return them. Upon arriving home, she found that she had taken a record book and some financial papers that belonged to the firm. After thinking it over and becoming angrier over being fired, she burned the book and papers in her fireplace. The jurisdiction has expanded the crime of burglary to include all buildings. What crime(s) has the executive committed?
•Answer Choices:
a.Burglary and larceny.
b.Burglary, but not larceny.
c.Larceny, but not burglary.
d.Neither larceny nor burglary.

•Learner Selected Answer: Neither larceny nor burglary.
•Correct:
•Correct Answer: Larceny, but not burglary.
•Rationale: Answer choice C is correct. The executive committed larceny, but not burglary. There was no burglary because the executive did not break and enter the building with the intent to commit a felony therein. She did, however, commit larceny under the theory of continuing trespass. Answer choices A and B are incorrect because the executive did not have the requisite mental state for burglary. Answer choice D is incorrect because the executive met all of the requirements of larceny.
•Subject Outline: CRIMINAL LAW
•Chapter: OTHER CRIMES
•Section: Crimes Against Property

My Question - Why is it larceny? She intended to give back the papers that belonged to the firm. Page 22 ... Intent to borrow? What am I missing...??

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm liking the professor who does Wills and Trusts for CA. Pretty clear lecture and good handouts.

OTOH, not a fan of the Remedies lecture.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:Question on Milestone #2: SPOILER

My Question - Why is it larceny? She intended to give back the papers that belonged to the firm. Page 22 ... Intent to borrow? What am I missing...??[/color]
Continuing trespass.

She took property that was not hers, which was a wrongful act. When she formed the necessary intent to deprive them permanently of it, the wrongful act was "continuing," and so the larceny was complete.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:33 pm

missinglink wrote:
Agoraphobia wrote:Question on Milestone #2: SPOILER

My Question - Why is it larceny? She intended to give back the papers that belonged to the firm. Page 22 ... Intent to borrow? What am I missing...??[/color]
Continuing trespass.

She took property that was not hers, which was a wrongful act. When she formed the necessary intent to deprive them permanently of it, the wrongful act was "continuing," and so the larceny was complete.
So the larceny was completed, but not until she threw the papers into the fire?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Right. Before that the original taking, while not done with intent to steal, was still somewhat culpable -- i.e, wrongful in the sense that it was a trespass against property.

When she formed the intent to deprive them permanently of the documents by burning them, then the larceny was complete.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Agoraphobia wrote: So the larceny was completed, but not until she threw the papers into the fire?
That's correct. I missed that one, too. Basically, any time you see a larceny-type fact pattern where someone didn't intend to steal the property when they carried it away, but then later change their mind and keep it or decide to trash it, it's larceny by "continuing trespass."

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks guys! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

purr se

New

Post by purr se » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:04 am

Guys, I'm freaking out. I just got a 38% on the third contracts MBE set and I feel like I know nothing. I'm doing decently (75 - 80% for crim, crim pro, and evidence), slight above average for property, and slightly below for torts and con law. And I feel like I know nothing about any of the MEE subjects. Every time I practice on the essays or contracts, I have no idea what I'm doing and it makes me want to not study anymore because nothing is sticking with me. HELP.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:07 am

16 for 16 on Ks questions on the second milestone. Good thing that's my jam, because LOL evidence.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:12 am

purr se wrote:Guys, I'm freaking out. I just got a 38% on the third contracts MBE set and I feel like I know nothing. I'm doing decently (75 - 80% for crim, crim pro, and evidence), slight above average for property, and slightly below for torts and con law. And I feel like I know nothing about any of the MEE subjects. Every time I practice on the essays or contracts, I have no idea what I'm doing and it makes me want to not study anymore because nothing is sticking with me. HELP.
I didn't want to read the whole Contracts outline over again, but I did. I went from 54% to 65% between 2&3 by doing that and I got 13/16 on the Milestone. I think I knew what to read for when I was reading the outline this time around, if that makes sense. Reading it the first time it was just nonsense. Like someone reading a language that they know how to pronounce, but don't understand. This time around it made way more sense.

calibred

New

Post by calibred » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:17 am

Consistently doing pretty bad on the CA graded essays -- Pretty much my only weak point at this stage. Anybody have an idea of where we should be at score-wise at this point?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:22 am

purr se wrote:Guys, I'm freaking out. I just got a 38% on the third contracts MBE set and I feel like I know nothing. I'm doing decently (75 - 80% for crim, crim pro, and evidence), slight above average for property, and slightly below for torts and con law. And I feel like I know nothing about any of the MEE subjects. Every time I practice on the essays or contracts, I have no idea what I'm doing and it makes me want to not study anymore because nothing is sticking with me. HELP.
The only time I've made significant progress on MBE subjects is by reading the full outline. It's not fun and it takes forever, but it works.

If you're pressed for time, you might look into picking up an older BarBri Conviser outline. They're generally much shorter than the Themis long outlines, but still sufficiently detailed. I got one on eBay for $40 from 2012 and it's helped me to move through the later subjects.

antonious13

New

Post by antonious13 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:22 am

missinglink wrote:I'm liking the professor who does Wills and Trusts for CA. Pretty clear lecture and good handouts.

OTOH, not a fan of the Remedies lecture.
Yeah, he's pretty thorough on the information. But, a few pages of Trust he tends to go away from the handout, and I've got some blanks. Maybe it's my fault for going at 2x most of the time. I can't help it though... Wills and Trusts are awful.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 am

No, you're right. There are some blanks.

But I'm so close to the end of the lectures that I really don't care.

JDCA2012

New

Post by JDCA2012 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:52 am

Last edited by JDCA2012 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:01 am

calibred wrote:Consistently doing pretty bad on the CA graded essays -- Pretty much my only weak point at this stage. Anybody have an idea of where we should be at score-wise at this point?
No idea, but I've been getting terrible scores, and I felt pretty good about the Prop and Crim essays. Got a 55 and 60 on the two of them, respectively, and I've been using my outlines for when I'm unsure of the law.

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:17 am

In the process of taking the mixed MBE question practice section, totally plays with your mind when you have to think of all the subjects together, although it seems so far that the questions in this section are easier then the individual sections.

elysiansmiles

New

Post by elysiansmiles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:21 am

I so dislike my state distinctions lecturer. He basically just reads from the outline and doesn't offer any examples, he goes over a ton of stuff that was already in the regular video (just for the sake of saying it again) and he leaves so many blanks on his handout that I have to constantly pause the video to fill them in. Also, almost every blank has more than one word. I'm busy trying to write "an answer to a pre-trial motion" in one blank while he's busy saying the next blank just a sentence away, "real or personal property." I have to pay so much attention to the blanks I'm hardly understanding the material. Ugh.

HeAdYLaWDudE

New

Post by HeAdYLaWDudE » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:29 am

Anyone else out there just take their first NY multiple choice practice and do absolutely abysmally? I just went from 70% (MBE) to 20% (NY MCQ). WTF.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 am

I'm bouncing back and forth between Barbri and Themis. Now that you folks are wrapping up your Themis prep course, do you have any regrets? Was your selection of Themis purely due to cost? After talking to friends taking Barbri, would you go Themis again?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:43 am

GATORTIM wrote:I'm bouncing back and forth between Barbri and Themis. Now that you folks are wrapping up your Themis prep course, do you have any regrets? Was your selection of Themis purely due to cost? After talking to friends taking Barbri, would you go Themis again?
I took Themis because I had a conversation with a professor at my law school, read a lot of reviews, and asked a lot of questions, and the real benefit to Barbri was the structure of going to class everyday. I hate going to class every day.

I haven't taken the bar exam, so I can't say for sure that my progress on Themis translates into progress towards the bar exam, but I know a guy who did Themis last year, finished almost exactly 75%, and felt really confident that he passed the bar when he walked out of the test. I don't see much reason to switch if I had it to do over.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 am

GATORTIM wrote:I'm bouncing back and forth between Barbri and Themis. Now that you folks are wrapping up your Themis prep course, do you have any regrets? Was your selection of Themis purely due to cost? After talking to friends taking Barbri, would you go Themis again?
Ask this again in November when I find out if I passed the PA/NJ bar exams.
Last edited by TheBeard on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:58 am

Good Luck to everyone. I had been using Themis, but am now withdrawing from the bar exam for this July. My wife was 23 weeks pregnant and we lost our daughter this weekend. It does not seem right for me to study for the bar while my wife and I grieve.

I wish you all the best. I had been really enjoying Themis and am glad I had made the choice to use them. I hope to use them again this February when I take the bar.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”