. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Bikeflip

Gold

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by Bikeflip » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 am

Oof. My heart goes out to you bros.

prozach1576

New

Post by prozach1576 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:52 am

lawdawg09 wrote:I think being an attorney fucked me for that first MPT today.

I got extremely caught up on trying to figure out what the record was for the first hearing with the officer. I started to argue the affidavit against itself until I started running out of time and just threw in other new evidence as factors to show good faith.

For the second part of the first MPT, I had about 10 minutes and just threw facts from the cases and tried to analogize with as many facts as I could. I made persuasive arguments but I was not very well organized and I did not use the statutes, only used them through the cases.

I don't think I completely shit the bed but I don't think I got a 6.

I think MEE was way easier than MPT today.
Yeah that first MPT was so weird. The good faith argument was easy to make but it was impossible to make the "substantial evidence" argument without having any idea what the evidence relied upon was. There should have been a decision included as part of the materials or at least a list of evidence. All they told you was that the officer below didn't have all of the evidence now available. WTF. It's like they forgot a page. It would have been a totally normal MPT with just a little more info.

The MEE unsettled me BAD as I flipped through the questions. I didn't bother learning some of the technical rules for trusts, just the bigger picture stuff. Secured transactions is Greek to me but I think I did ok on that question. Definitely did not expect the civ pro question to be about discovery, but it was actually a pretty easy question and luckily I remembered the law. I knew regulatory takings but not exactions, although I think what I wrote was pretty close to what the law actually is. Overall I definitely didn't nail every question but I think I did fine. As long as Themis has adequately prepped me for the MBE I should be good to go.

I think Themis was pretty good prep for the MEE though. All of the subjects did have at least a couple of questions that focused on fairly obscure, technical details rather than big picture concepts. I just didn't expect so many of those questions to show up on the real thing at the same time. The "simulated" MEE on Themis was WAY easier.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm

PM mbe in New York was fucking horrible.

It would be like 100 of Themis' hardest mbe practice questions in all 7 sections.

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Gatriel wrote:PM mbe in New York was fucking horrible.

It would be like 100 of Themis' hardest mbe practice questions in all 7 sections.
+1. Similar to July 2013 AM - what a bloodbath. Hope they curve it generously, and revert to giving a "hard," but not "impossible" exam like they seemed to have been doing up until two years ago.

prozach1576

New

Post by prozach1576 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:58 pm

Honestly I would have to say that I felt the Themis practice questions were good preparation. If anything their question bank is harder. Not that there weren't a lot of hard questions of the test that stumped me, but there were more easy ones than I expected.

Obviously I can't know for sure until I find out whether I passed, but I feel pretty happy with Themis. My main complaints are that the lectures were a profound waste of time for the MBE subjects because the MBE is all about stupid details and not broad concepts. They were about the right level of specificity for the MEE subjects though. Also the condensed MBE outlines were borderline incomprehensible garbage. The practice essays and practice MBEs were good. The simulated MBE was good. The simulated MEE was too easy. The practice MPTs are what they are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:04 pm

get it to x wrote:
Gatriel wrote:PM mbe in New York was fucking horrible.

+1. Similar to July 2013 AM - what a bloodbath. Hope they curve it generously, and revert to giving a "hard," but not "impossible" exam like they seemed to have been doing up until two years ago.
That was a very common adjective to describe it today. Bloodbath.

They have got to curve it generously. There was one guy who was maf about one tort question which the prompt asked for the correct answer, but all four were correct. I am quite confident one is "more correct" than the others, but by an minute amount and that wasn't the call of the question.

Truly a bloodbath.

credence023

New

Post by credence023 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:22 pm

Day one NY bar was fine. Day two am session was fine. Day two PM session was brutal. Seriously stressed out.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:54 pm

credence023 wrote:Day one NY bar was fine. Day two am session was fine. Day two PM session was brutal. Seriously stressed out.
Absolutely.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:52 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Is the MBE the same all over the country? I has thought it was, makes sense.

I thought the AM was great. Probably got 75 or 80 correct. Really needed that after taking a dump on the essays yesterday.

PM was a different story.
Yep. Same all over the country just administered in ten different forms per session. Am I thought was somewhat fair and challenging, but able to gut through. I don't know what to call the PM session besides a bloodbath, sh$%show, cluster#$k.

credence023

New

Post by credence023 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Does anyone know if the order of the mbe questions are the same for all test takers? Or are they scrambled around?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 pm

credence023 wrote:Does anyone know if the order of the mbe questions are the same for all test takers? Or are they scrambled around?
Scrambled by form as far as I know so that way you can't cheat off your neighbor.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 pm

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IMHIPP

New

Post by IMHIPP » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 pm

It felt like I was guessing on most of the Themis 50 question MBE checkpoints (I forget what they were called) and on the MBE practice test. I was sure I had fucked up on those and then I ended up doing better than 80% on all of them. So, that's what I'm telling myself now. It just feels different when you do the practice questions that give you the answer after every question, since you have the constant reassurance that you're getting most of them right.

Really want to look up some of the issues I wasn't sure of, but it would just bum me out if I got them wrong.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:30 pm

Go back and look in July after the MBE, everyone thought it was fucking ridiculous and way harder than Themis ever prepped people for. The term "bloodbath" was repeatedly used.

It turned out fine for most everyone. I know it totally blows right now, but you're all very smart folks and I've no doubt you'll all do well.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:10 am

kalvano wrote:Go back and look in July after the MBE, everyone thought it was fucking ridiculous and way harder than Themis ever prepped people for. The term "bloodbath" was repeatedly used.
This. IIRC, Themis, like anyone else, is using the released MBE questions, and there's only so many of those.

IMHIPP

New

Post by IMHIPP » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:17 am

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:But just to bitch I do think Themis mislead me. Said through several lectures the bar was testing on big picture concepts. Bullshit most of the MEE was all about the details concerning a few of the details.
Before I started studying for the bar, I thought "Gee, they're covering about 17 subjects, surely they must test general principles. It's a test of minimum competence, right?"

Nope. It's mostly detail which means it's a goddamn crapshoot on the exam. The examiners are VERY concerned that you know minutiae like whether limited partners, transferees of a partner's partnership interest, etc., have a right to request records.

The UBE could accomplish the same purpose if they gave you a copy of the yellow pages and asked you to memorize as much as possible. Except for con law, crim pro, and UCC subjects, it's fucking pointless to have a national test. General principles my ass.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:27 am

IMHIPP wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:But just to bitch I do think Themis mislead me. Said through several lectures the bar was testing on big picture concepts. Bullshit most of the MEE was all about the details concerning a few of the details.
Before I started studying for the bar, I thought "Gee, they're covering about 17 subjects, surely they must test general principles. It's a test of minimum competence, right?"

Nope. It's mostly detail which means it's a goddamn crapshoot on the exam. The examiners are VERY concerned that you know minutiae like whether limited partners, transferees of a partner's partnership interest, etc., have a right to request records.

The UBE could accomplish the same purpose if they gave you a copy of the yellow pages and asked you to memorize as much as possible. Except for con law, crim pro, and UCC subjects, it's fucking pointless to have a national test. General principles my ass.
You are right that it's not just broad principles, but you also have to realize you aren't meant to know anywhere near all of it. So don't sit there and stew about shit you didn't know.

I did an entire MEE question on water rights without using the term water rights. Still passed. You will too.

It's not like a law exam where if you blow a major issue, you get curve pwnd. It's the opposite. Hard questions curve bump you.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:04 am

Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Sat May 31, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtx86

New

Post by jtx86 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:18 am

kalvano wrote:Go back and look in July after the MBE, everyone thought it was fucking ridiculous and way harder than Themis ever prepped people for. The term "bloodbath" was repeatedly used.

It turned out fine for most everyone. I know it totally blows right now, but you're all very smart folks and I've no doubt you'll all do well.

Thanks for pointing this out. It helps calm my nerves. I felt horrible after the PM session. Am session turned out pretty good for me. I finished with about 30 minutes to spare. The PM session was another animal. I was second-guessing myself on almost every other question.

lawdawg09

New

Post by lawdawg09 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Yea the MBE is really stressing me out.

I took CA in July and thought the MBE was harder than I expected but I still passed.

However, yesterday was a goddamned rediculous. The AM part was fine. I counted and felt confident on about 75 questions.

The PM was out of control. I counted and was confident on about 53 questions. IMO, Feb 14 PM was way harder than July 13.

I got a 142 on the Themis practice MBE and I had a 77% on adaptibar.

I am not completely tripping as it seems pretty universal that the PM session bent everyone over. I walked out of the AM part pretty confident I rocked the UBE, now I am not so sure.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

lawdawg09 wrote:Yea the MBE is really stressing me out.

I took CA in July and thought the MBE was harder than I expected but I still passed.

However, yesterday was a goddamned rediculous. The AM part was fine. I counted and felt confident on about 75 questions.

The PM was out of control. I counted and was confident on about 53 questions. IMO, Feb 14 PM was way harder than July 13.

I am not completely tripping as it seems pretty universal that the PM session bent everyone over. I walked out of the AM part pretty confident I rocked the UBE, now I am not so sure.
This sole fact is the only reason I have not yet booked a hotel for the Feb 2015 Georgia bar. PM NY MBE was out of control.

I clearly remember one torts question, which asked for the "correct answer" not "the best answer" -- yet all 4 answer choices were correct.

Also, fuck whomever thought it was a good idea to substitute the common law word for battery with assault, and fuck the MBE question maker who thought inserting "implied attempted involuntary murder" into the call of a question was a good idea.

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Gatriel wrote:

This sole fact is the only reason I have not yet booked a hotel for the Feb 2015 Georgia bar. PM NY MBE was out of control.

I clearly remember one torts question, which asked for the "correct answer" not "the best answer" -- yet all 4 answer choices were correct.

Also, fuck whomever thought it was a good idea to substitute the common law word for battery with assault, and fuck the MBE question maker who thought inserting "implied attempted involuntary murder" into the call of a question was a good idea.

--ImageRemoved--[/quote

Some of those will likely get thrown back in as part of the curve. What bother me more was just he emphasis on contracts damages questions and wacko property ones. I hope they are generous because this exam keeps getting noticeably more and more difficult. And well al is said and done it's a friggin competency exam.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:01 pm

With 128 confident answer choices, you're sound like you're in good shape and stand decent shot of breaking 150 on the MBE. That high of an MBE score puts in a good position to pass the UBE, which I gather was what you just took, even if you have low essay scores. Remember bros, you can pass by the skin of your teeth or you can pass by knocking bar on its ass. Either way, you passed, and there are no brownie points to getting a 350 out of 400 on the UBE.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:04 pm

I hope so. I walked out of day one, being like "lol killed it."

Then AM session on Day 2 was "eh -- this seems too easy. Something is clearly wrong here. Are they trying to trick me?"

Then PM rolls around and the poor girl from China in front of my starts crying.

But yes, competency exam that is no longer a test of one's basic competency but

How many days after a motion for (insert motion here I have never heard of before and might have been mentioned in Themis once) has the responding party to respond?

A) 15
B) 45
C) 60
D) 90

or

What are the requirements to establish a prima fascie case for Negligence, irrespective of order

A) Duty, Breach, Damages, Causation
B) Causation, Damages, Breach, Duty
C) Breach, Causation, Damages, Duty
D) Damages, Duty, Causation, Breach

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”