. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
HETPE3B

Bronze

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by HETPE3B » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 pm

as stars burn wrote:
dsclaw wrote:Anyone notice that the schedule has changed. I was only supposed to have 3 things for today but now I have 5. In addition, I was supposed to end on the 26th and now its saying I am supposed to finish on the 29th? It seems Themis is adding more tasks that way I do not get to 75% ? Scam?
That's really weird. I'd contact them and inquire? I'm scheduled to finish on the 27th, but I usually have 5-6 things to do everyday so that's assuming I can stay on track from now until then. I know lots of people that took Themis last summer and this past February for the bar exam, and none of them passed 80% completed. I don't know how far behind they were or whatnot though.
Pretty sure Themis is fucking with us.

I'm pretty much at a point where I'm done learning new stuff. Except for the scheduled graded tests/essays, planning to review completely at my own pace on my own schedule, focusing where I need to focus, ignoring what Themis suggests.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:47 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:So there are 9 handout chapters of Federal Civil Procedure (6-14) on the printable handout that don't seem to have corresponding lectures. Anyone else taking Texas know whether this is an intentional omission (or I'm missing something - there's obviously the whole topic of TX Civ Pro, but why would that relieve us of obligation to know federal)? I messaged the Themis bros but they always take a day or two to reply.

Also, put me in the way behind boat. I'm at 29%. EEP!
My Fed R Civ Pro outline has 16 chapters and I had a lecture for each one. Are you maybe using directed study and the next set is tomorrow? Or are you looking at Flex Study and you don't see them?

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:12 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:So there are 9 handout chapters of Federal Civil Procedure (6-14) on the printable handout that don't seem to have corresponding lectures. Anyone else taking Texas know whether this is an intentional omission (or I'm missing something - there's obviously the whole topic of TX Civ Pro, but why would that relieve us of obligation to know federal)? I messaged the Themis bros but they always take a day or two to reply.

My Fed R Civ Pro outline has 16 chapters and I had a lecture for each one. Are you maybe using directed study and the next set is tomorrow? Or are you looking at Flex Study and you don't see them?
Nope, I'm in flex study and don't see them. Are you doing Texas?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:34 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

No, PA, but I wouldn't think it'd be different, since it's federal. Do you have Jeffries for it?

JD_done

New

Post by JD_done » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

No, PA, but I wouldn't think it'd be different, since it's federal. Do you have Jeffries for it?

I'm NY and had Jeffries. My handouts and lectures both had 14 chapters.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:38 pm

JD_done wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

I'm NY and had Jeffries. My handouts and lectures both had 14 chapters.
Yup, you're right. I have 14. So smoky must have a different professor. That's weird that lectures are missing.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Nope, I have Jeffries. Hopefully Themis can shed some light on this.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:02 pm

I really can't get going today. I've done 6 lectures and an MBE and I really just feel like being done for the day. Starting anywhere past 11 a.m. just drains me.

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Thought I knew contracts really well was at 71% prior to my most recent MBE where I went 58% ughhhhh, I picked some of the dumbest answers on the ones I got wrong. Hope I dont do that on the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
mvp wrote:Hey all, I'm planning on starting the NY/NJ course tomorrow. I know I'm starting extremely late, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything done in time. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it (e.g. things I could/should skip or skim, things I should make sure to focus on)?
Watch the lectures, fill out the handouts and do the practice questions. It's probably too late to read the outlines if you want to get caught up now.

Jersey doesn't have any separate state law - the essays are all on common law MBE crap. You just need to learn NJ civ pro. So that's lucky. If I were you I would try to skim the NY state law outlines before you watch the lectures, just to hammer it home a little, but if you're super crunched for time, the lectures and handouts and practice questions are the bare minimum you should do. My two cents.

Edited to Add: watch the videos at 1.5x or 2x speed. You can do that by hovering the mouse over the video as it plays and hitting Shift, then +, then the right arrow if you're in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. Some of the profs are hard to understand at 2x speed, but 1.5x speed is still pretty fast and can cut 5 - 8 minutes off each lecture, which really adds up.
Adding to this, you can safely skip most of the Advanced Sales lecture. It's pretty much a carbon copy of Contracts. There's a little new stuff on auction sales in Chapter 2 and on replevin/reclamation in Chapter 8. Otherwise it's Contract redux.

dsclaw

New

Post by dsclaw » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:05 pm

dsclaw wrote:Thought I knew contracts really well was at 71% prior to my most recent MBE where I went 58% ughhhhh, I picked some of the dumbest answers on the ones I got wrong. Hope I dont do that on the bar.
Clearly I need to learn how to read better... :x

mvp

New

Post by mvp » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:12 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
mvp wrote:Hey all, I'm planning on starting the NY/NJ course tomorrow. I know I'm starting extremely late, and I'm a little nervous about getting everything done in time. Any suggestions on the best way to go about it (e.g. things I could/should skip or skim, things I should make sure to focus on)?
Watch the lectures, fill out the handouts and do the practice questions. It's probably too late to read the outlines if you want to get caught up now.

Jersey doesn't have any separate state law - the essays are all on common law MBE crap. You just need to learn NJ civ pro. So that's lucky. If I were you I would try to skim the NY state law outlines before you watch the lectures, just to hammer it home a little, but if you're super crunched for time, the lectures and handouts and practice questions are the bare minimum you should do. My two cents.

Edited to Add: watch the videos at 1.5x or 2x speed. You can do that by hovering the mouse over the video as it plays and hitting Shift, then +, then the right arrow if you're in Chrome, Safari or Firefox. Some of the profs are hard to understand at 2x speed, but 1.5x speed is still pretty fast and can cut 5 - 8 minutes off each lecture, which really adds up.
Thanks. Yeah, after reading through this thread I think I'm gonna skip the outlines and just focus on the lectures and handouts. Thank god for 2x speed - so far the lectures are very manageable on 2x. I plan on focusing predominantly on the MBE subjects, and then skim the NY state specific law (and NJ Civ Pro) at the end. Can I get by without really doing the practice essays? Or are they really useful for filling in/fleshing out the law/rules that may not be covered that well in the lectures?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:18 pm

mvp wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, after reading through this thread I think I'm gonna skip the outlines and just focus on the lectures and handouts. Thank god for 2x speed - so far the lectures are very manageable on 2x. I plan on focusing predominantly on the MBE subjects, and then skim the NY state specific law (and NJ Civ Pro) at the end. Can I get by without really doing the practice essays? Or are they really useful for filling in/fleshing out the law/rules that may not be covered that well in the lectures?
The essay practice is useful because it helps you practice issue spotting and remembering rules, as well as how to format the answers. New Jersey frequently asks you to "prepare a memorandum" as an essay answer, and you'll lose points if you don't prepare it as a memorandum - with To: and From: and RE: and "You have asked me to prepare a memo on...." The practice exams help you get used to doing that and also the time constraints.

I personally find the graded essays helpful. Some people here don't. Format does matter, though.

Also, I agree with agoraphobia - the advanced sales lectures didn't really provide much beyond what contracts provided, although if you really like Geis, watch them, I suppose. You'll learn stuff just by doing practice questions, anyway.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:29 pm

mvp wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

I'm a fan of the practice essays. I started out not doing them, but then when I decided OKAY OKAY I might as well take a crack at them I discovered that they are helpful for me. They are arranged in order by level of difficulty, as far as I can tell, and so doing 2 easy, know-the-rule-based essays on, say, corporations right after watching the lectures helps concretize what I've just covered.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:31 pm

***SPOILER ALERT*** Criminal Law Set 3

A man knew that his uncle regularly withdrew a large amount of cash from a bank and that his uncle was usually not very careful in watching over the money as he made his way home. The man hatched a plan with two friends to steal the money from his uncle. One of the friends purchased a ski mask with which he intended to conceal his face during the heist. A few hours before the event was to occur, the man, deciding to call the whole thing off, told his friends not to go through with the plan. Nevertheless the friends followed the uncle from the bank and successfully absconded with the bag of money without the uncle being the wiser for several minutes. They were subsequently arrested and revealed the man's involvement in the plot. The man was arrested. The applicable jurisdiction has adopted the Model Penal Code. Under the Code, theft is defined as "unlawfully taking, or exercising unlawful control over, movable property of another with purpose to deprive him thereof." The crimes below are listed in descending order of seriousness. What is the most serious listed for which the man can be convicted?

Answer Choices
A. Theft
B. Conspiracy
C. Solicitation
D. No crime

Answer choice B is correct. Conspiracy is defined as an agreement between two or more persons to accomplish an unlawful purpose, with the intent to accomplish that purpose. The Model Penal Code (MPC) adds the requirement that a conspiracy must be perfected by an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy. Here, the friend's purchase of the ski mask is sufficient to constitute such an overt act. The MPC allows withdrawal from a conspiracy after the performance of an overt act, but the defendant must thwart the performance of the planned crimes. Here, the defendant failed to do so, and therefore is guilty of conspiracy. Answer choice A is incorrect because, while the man's withdrawal from the conspiracy was not sufficient to eliminate his liability for the conspiracy itself, it is effective with regard to the substantive crime of theft committed by his two friends. Answer choice C is incorrect, because, although the man is guilty of solicitation, he is also guilty of conspiracy, which is the more serious crime. Although the MPC permits a defendant to effectively renounce solicitation, the defendant must thwart the performance of the solicited crimes, which the man did not do. Answer choice D is incorrect since the man is guilty of both solicitation and conspiracy.

Okay, so I agree that he's guilty of conspiracy because his repudiation was insufficient in this case after the overt act had been committed. My problem here is that the most serious crime he can be convicted for is theft because he didn't do enough to withdraw his participation as an accomplice. In other words, what did he do to countermand his prior assistance (i.e. telling them about his uncle's tendencies and hatching a plan). Any help?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:40 pm

TheBeard wrote:***SPOILER ALERT*** Criminal Law Set 3

A man knew that his uncle regularly withdrew a large amount of cash from a bank and that his uncle was usually not very careful in watching over the money as he made his way home. The man hatched a plan with two friends to steal the money from his uncle. One of the friends purchased a ski mask with which he intended to conceal his face during the heist. A few hours before the event was to occur, the man, deciding to call the whole thing off, told his friends not to go through with the plan. Nevertheless the friends followed the uncle from the bank and successfully absconded with the bag of money without the uncle being the wiser for several minutes. They were subsequently arrested and revealed the man's involvement in the plot. The man was arrested. The applicable jurisdiction has adopted the Model Penal Code. Under the Code, theft is defined as "unlawfully taking, or exercising unlawful control over, movable property of another with purpose to deprive him thereof." The crimes below are listed in descending order of seriousness. What is the most serious listed for which the man can be convicted?

Answer Choices
A. Theft
B. Conspiracy
C. Solicitation
D. No crime

Answer choice B is correct. Conspiracy is defined as an agreement between two or more persons to accomplish an unlawful purpose, with the intent to accomplish that purpose. The Model Penal Code (MPC) adds the requirement that a conspiracy must be perfected by an overt act in furtherance of the conspiracy. Here, the friend's purchase of the ski mask is sufficient to constitute such an overt act. The MPC allows withdrawal from a conspiracy after the performance of an overt act, but the defendant must thwart the performance of the planned crimes. Here, the defendant failed to do so, and therefore is guilty of conspiracy. Answer choice A is incorrect because, while the man's withdrawal from the conspiracy was not sufficient to eliminate his liability for the conspiracy itself, it is effective with regard to the substantive crime of theft committed by his two friends. Answer choice C is incorrect, because, although the man is guilty of solicitation, he is also guilty of conspiracy, which is the more serious crime. Although the MPC permits a defendant to effectively renounce solicitation, the defendant must thwart the performance of the solicited crimes, which the man did not do. Answer choice D is incorrect since the man is guilty of both solicitation and conspiracy.

Okay, so I agree that he's guilty of conspiracy because his repudiation was insufficient in this case after the overt act had been committed. My problem here is that the most serious crime he can be convicted for is theft because he didn't do enough to withdraw his participation as an accomplice. In other words, what did he do to countermand his prior assistance (i.e. telling them about his uncle's tendencies and hatching a plan). Any help?
I'm with you. I don't think his telling them not to do it anymore was sufficient to withdraw as an accomplice. He didn't do everything possible to countermand simply by telling them not to do it. What he did seems more like change of heart, which isn't enough. Lame.

thebull

New

Post by thebull » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:09 pm

As long as you don't have a job right now or are not very far behind, it's important to make sure to take time for yourself during the day/night. If you're doing bar prep for 8-10 hours a day and sleeping for about 8, you should still have 6-8 hours of free time each day to go out with friends, workout, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Texas only needs jurisdiction and venue for Fed Civ Pro. Vids 1-5. You aren't missing anything.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:10 pm

kalvano wrote:

Texas only needs jurisdiction and venue for Fed Civ Pro. Vids 1-5. You aren't missing anything.
Thanks.

HETPE3B

Bronze

Post by HETPE3B » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:08 pm

Question for the Evidence buffs out there.

Please help me reconcile the following two points:
1. If there is a mistake in the admissibility of evidence, that error will only form the basis for an appeal if (a) a substantial right of a party has been affected; AND (b) the judge was notified of that error at trial.
2. Plain Error Rule: errors that affect substantial rights are grounds for reversal even if no objection or offer of proof was made.

If there's an error affecting substantial rights, do I or don't I need to notify the judge? What's the difference between being grounds for reversal and being basis for appeal and why is there a higher barrier for the latter?

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 pm

HETPE3B wrote:Question for the Evidence buffs out there.

1. If there is a mistake in the admissibility of evidence, that error will only form the basis for an appeal if (a) a substantial right of a party has been affected; AND (b) the judge was notified of that error at trial.
2. Plain Error Rule: errors that affect substantial rights are grounds for reversal even if no objection or offer of proof was made.

If there's an error affecting substantial rights, do I or don't I need to notify the judge? What's the difference between being grounds for reversal and being basis for appeal and why is there a higher barrier for the latter?
I think you have to notify the judge of any error, affecting substantial rights or not.

If the substantial right has been affected and the judge is notified, it can be appealed, and the court of appeals will be able to review whether it is reversible or not. It's not automatically reversible; it just provides grounds for reversal.

Or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JD_done

New

Post by JD_done » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:56 pm

locusdelicti wrote:

I think you have to notify the judge of any error, affecting substantial rights or not.

If the substantial right has been affected and the judge is notified, it can be appealed, and the court of appeals will be able to review whether it is reversible or not. It's not automatically reversible; it just provides grounds for reversal.

Or something.
Agreed. It's also helpful to go directly to FRE 103 and the committee notes. The way I understand it, 1) substantial right + 2) notifying court preserves it for appeal. The plain error rule allows a court, on appeal, to reverse (especially a criminal conviction) even if the trial court was not notified of the error and they are reviewing the case for another issue. (I looked at federal criminal procedure rule 52 for clarification)
I could be wrong

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:07 pm

JD_done wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

Or something.
Agreed. It's also helpful to go directly to FRE 103 and the committee notes. The way I understand it, 1) substantial right + 2) notifying court preserves it for appeal. The plain error rule allows a court, on appeal, to reverse (especially a criminal conviction) even if the trial court was not notified of the error and they are reviewing the case for another issue. (I looked at federal criminal procedure rule 52 for clarification)
I could be wrong
Sounds good to me!

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 pm

Enjoying Guzman because his videos can easily be watched on 2x, and his handouts are well-made

antonious13

New

Post by antonious13 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Reinhardt wrote:Enjoying Guzman because his videos can easily be watched on 2x, and his handouts are well-made
Really? I didn't care for Guzman at all. For me, it was necessary to watch on 2x, because I couldn't stand listening to him at a lower speed. Plus, I kept having to go back on certain parts because it felt like he would skip pieces of the handout.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”