. Forum

Discussions related to the bar exam are found in this forum
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
locusdelicti

Bronze

Re: THEMIS BAR REVIEW Hangout.

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:12 am

TheBeard wrote:I woke up this morning and I realized we have 2(!!) weeks to go. I'm okay with the MBE stuff, but I still don't know enough of the state specific stuff. Is 2 weeks enough to memorize all this shit?
I'm kind of a little freaked about the state stuff, too. PA civ pro is fucking terrible, and I can't seem to remember anything about family law, no matter how many times I review it, except for "best interests of the child" and "divorce because of indignities".

I also keep mixing up abatement and ademption. They both start with A!!!! WHY?????

Edited to add: Also, PA's crime statutes seem confusing to me. Simple assault and aggravated assault? The hell?
Plus, why does every crime in PA have nine million elements?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:14 am

TheBeard wrote:I woke up this morning and I realized we have 2(!!) weeks to go. I'm okay with the MBE stuff, but I still don't know enough of the state specific stuff. Is 2 weeks enough to memorize all this shit?
Geezus, my heart skipped a beat when I read this. Thankfully I don't find Illinois's state specific stuff to divert that much from common/general law. Crim Law and Civ Pro have a lot of variances, but the rest isn't bad at all. I'm still a bit worried about MBE stuff though. My scores still aren't really consistent so that worries me. Also, Secured Transactions made my head explode. I need to work out some mnemonics for that subject or I'm going to be completely fucked. Right now I'm not even sure I could issue spot a fact pattern.

TheBeard

Bronze

Post by TheBeard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:12 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
I'm kind of a little freaked about the state stuff, too. PA civ pro is fucking terrible, and I can't seem to remember anything about family law, no matter how many times I review it, except for "best interests of the child" and "divorce because of indignities".

I also keep mixing up abatement and ademption. They both start with A!!!! WHY?????

Edited to add: Also, PA's crime statutes seem confusing to me. Simple assault and aggravated assault? The hell?
Plus, why does every crime in PA have nine million elements?
YES! I swear, PA is not making it easy on us at all. And, yes, PA CivPro is a nightmare.

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:13 pm

as stars burn wrote:
Geezus, my heart skipped a beat when I read this. Thankfully I don't find Illinois's state specific stuff to divert that much from common/general law. Crim Law and Civ Pro have a lot of variances, but the rest isn't bad at all. I'm still a bit worried about MBE stuff though. My scores still aren't really consistent so that worries me. Also, Secured Transactions made my head explode. I need to work out some mnemonics for that subject or I'm going to be completely fucked. Right now I'm not even sure I could issue spot a fact pattern.
PM me in you want what I came up with for Secured Transactions. Not saying it's great or anything but it's finished.

Bronx Bum

Bronze

Post by Bronx Bum » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Got a 181/200 on the Simulated MBE. I am doing pretty well on the sets but Con Law dipped below 80%. I'm terrified.

I also don't know much about the state specific. HALP!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Haven't even started working yet today. Got stuck watching Year One on Comedy Central and just have zero motivation.

Fuuuuuuck, bros.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:Got a 181/200 on the Simulated MBE. I am doing pretty well on the sets but Con Law dipped below 80%. I'm terrified.

Is this a joke?

Agoraphobia

Bronze

Post by Agoraphobia » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:17 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:Got a 181/200 on the Simulated MBE. I am doing pretty well on the sets but Con Law dipped below 80%. I'm terrified.

Is this a joke?
I dunno but I Lol'ed

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:21 pm

:|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I appreciate the fact that Bank goes through these lectures fast cause I cant handle tax for 10 25 min lectures. The fact that some are like 10 mins is awesome. Although I still hate tax.

In other news, sometimes I think that I don't know anything about anything when it comes to this whole bar study business.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

Is this a joke?
I dunno but I Lol'ed
Uh, if you're serious...GTFO!

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Agoraphobia wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

Is this a joke?
I dunno but I Lol'ed
Ooh, I have another one. I keep scoring perfect on my essays, but I got one wrong on the simulated MBE. I'm sweating here! What if I fail?

nyuk nyuk.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Man, I need to slow down and bit and double check my bubbling. I've missed a few due to reading C, knowing C is correct, and clicking on D before submitting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

releasethehounds

Bronze

Post by releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm getting ridiculously grateful in this last week or so that Arizona uses the UBE. There's no state-specific stuff on the exam, but I did have to take some 60 hour online class on arizona specific law before I was authorized to sit for the bar. I think that going to law school in Illinois then trying to learn Arizona specific stuff would have been kind of nightmarish. You guys are rock stars that have to learn state specific stuff.

Plus side: I don't have to learn Louisiana law.
Last edited by releasethehounds on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

locusdelicti

Bronze

Post by locusdelicti » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Bikeflip wrote:Man, I need to slow down and bit and double check my bubbling. I've missed a few due to reading C, knowing C is correct, and clicking on D before submitting.
I've done that about 10 times so far. It's really frustrating. I'm like, "I swore I hit D."

I also hate it when I'm in test mode and I see that I've selected the same letter 3 or more times in a row... that usually means I got them wrong.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:31 pm

locusdelicti wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:Man, I need to slow down and bit and double check my bubbling. I've missed a few due to reading C, knowing C is correct, and clicking on D before submitting.
I've done that about 10 times so far. It's really frustrating. I'm like, "I swore I hit D."

I also hate it when I'm in test mode and I see that I've selected the same letter 3 or more times in a row... that usually means I got them wrong.

It's very frustrating b/c in test mode, as structured, you can't go back and review. Since I know Themis lurks here, I have a suggestion for the future: In test mode, allow us to go back and review, and allow us to place "tickmarks" by the answer. That way, we can quickly reduce these bubbling errors.

releasethehounds

Bronze

Post by releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
locusdelicti wrote:

It's very frustrating b/c in test mode, as structured, you can't go back and review. Since I know Themis lurks here, I have a suggestion for the future: In test mode, allow us to go back and review, and allow us to place "tickmarks" by the answer. That way, we can quickly reduce these bubbling errors.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

Chichaca wrote:
calibred wrote:Hate to sound like a broken record here, but are these graded essay scores likely deflated? Pretty frustrating if they are, and pretty concerning if not.
I don't know, but I find the grading really suspect. My grader gives me a failing score for organization anytime I don't analyze issues in the same order as in the model answer. Like if I analyze duty of care first and duty of loyalty second, but the model answer does it the other way around, I get a 60 or lower for organization. I just can't imagine the real thing is scored like that.
So I broke down and bought BarEssays, because my grader has been incredibly, incredibly harsh (50, 55, 60 on the first three essays, mainly with comments like "This sentence should have been a sentence earlier" or "you should have put this defense before this defense in your organization").

It's just for CA, but it made me feel SOOOOO much better. Seeing a dozen 60-62.5s and what they were actually like (hit most of the issues, some great rule statements but a decent amount of made-up law).

I get that Themis is trying to scare us a bit, but it's incredibly frustrating when those scare tactics have almost no actual assistance other than "read the model answer." If it's the model answer and I'm writing 85% of it, why are you giving me a 55? It's caused me to stop doing the graded essays and to focus on comparing my practices to the model answers.

releasethehounds

Bronze

Post by releasethehounds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:42 pm

The owner of a milk container manufacturing firm sought to focus public attention on the milk packaging law of his state in order to have it repealed. On a weekday at 12:00 noon, he delivered an excited, animated, and loud harangue on the steps of the State Capitol in front of the main entryway. An audience of 200 onlookers, who gathered on the steps, heckled him and laughed as he delivered his tirade. He repeatedly stated, gesturing expressively and making faces, that "the g-ddamned milk packaging law is stupid," and that "I will strangle every one of those g-ddamned legislators I can get hold of because this law they created proves they are all too dumb to live." After about fifteen minutes, he stopped speaking, and the amused crowd dispersed. A state statute prohibits "all speech-making, picketing, and public gatherings of every sort on the Capitol steps in front of the main entryway between 7:45 a.m.-8:15 a.m., 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m., 12:45 p.m.-1:15 p.m., and 4:45 p.m.-5:15 p.m. on Capitol working days."

I....am laughing far too hard that it was censored. I'm not sure why. But in my current mental state I find it hilarious.

Reinhardt

Bronze

Post by Reinhardt » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:59 pm

BarEssays is great. Plus they have attack outlines for each subject...though I haven't used any of them yet. It's also good just to see the score distributions. All the essays on there are from people who failed, but even then, 2/3 are scored 60 or higher.

(Disclaimer: California only.)

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Texas allots 40% of total score to the MBE. Does simply passing the MBE (around 120 right) give the you the full 40% of points? Or do you need to do better than that?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 pm

releasethehounds wrote:I'm getting ridiculously grateful in this last week or so that Arizona uses the UBE. There's no state-specific stuff on the exam, but I did have to take some 60 hour online class on arizona specific law before I was authorized to sit for the bar. I think that going to law school in Illinois then trying to learn Arizona specific stuff would have been kind of nightmarish. You guys are rock stars that have to learn state specific stuff.

Plus side: I don't have to learn Louisiana law.
I went to school in Illinois and still didn't learn any illinois law.

Coincidentally. one of the guys who does Ill state law for themis teaches at ASU.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:34 pm

kalvano wrote:Texas allots 40% of total score to the MBE. Does simply passing the MBE (around 120 right) give the you the full 40% of points? Or do you need to do better than that?
120 is probably not passing.

But if you score whatever barely passing is for Texas (I'd assume somewhere north of 130 Scaled), you'd get 40% of the points need to pass (but not 40% of the points total). BUT, you could get more if you do better.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:Texas allots 40% of total score to the MBE. Does simply passing the MBE (around 120 right) give the you the full 40% of points? Or do you need to do better than that?

But if you score whatever barely passing is for Texas (I'd assume somewhere north of 130 Scaled), you'd get 40% of the points need to pass (but not 40% of the points total). BUT, you could get more if you do better.

OK. I thought 120 was passing. I guess I misread that somewhere in the tons of crap I've read. But if you do better than passing, you can bank extra points then?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

kalvano wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

OK. I thought 120 was passing. I guess I misread that somewhere in the tons of crap I've read. But if you do better than passing, you can bank extra points then?
You need to have a 135 SCALED to be on track to pass. You can do better or worse and make up the difference later. 135 scaled is probably 120 raw, so that is what they mean when say 120 to pass I guess.

But the more over 135 you do, the more points you bank.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Bar Exam Prep and Discussion Forum”